2013/14 Southampton Football Club Player Awards

pap

Oof, not sure what to make of that answer. I think between his tone/body language and his words about progressing and building in the summer, I get the impression he'll seriously consider leaving if we don't take big steps before next season.

What did he say?

He really didn't want to answer it. Spoke about loving the club, having had great memories, all in the past tense though. If we can keep everyone else, the manager and strengthen then who know, but it very much looks like he won't be here after that answer.

It's the same as is coming from all the players. I think they love it here, but if we stop progressing and start to stagnate then they will want to go.

I think they're all ambitious enough to be wanting us to compete with Spurs and the likes, but I honestly don't believe the finance or ambition is there for us to get there...therefore, they'll probably go.

What did he say?

The question clearly made him uncomfortable. He said he's had 'great memories' with us and that he'll 'always love the club', but then said he hopes to progress with Southampton and wants us to push on and build in the summer. IMy interpretation was that he wants reassurances that staying is worth his while but if not, he's off.

But unfortunately we all know deep down that those assurances will not arrive.

Rubbish. I think they will.

I'm so torn on his response! whether it was a emotional this club is everything to me moment or a I need to leave to progress goodbye!! either way someone grab his leg and refuse to leg go until he promises not to leave.

I'm so torn on his response! whether it was a emotional this club is everything to me moment or a I need to leave to progress goodbye!! either way someone grab his leg and refuse to leg go until he promises not to leave.

It was both.

Sounded like a farewell speech to me but there again before he even sat down he was joking with the people on his table so maybe he wasn't as choked about the question as he appeared when he answered it. Might just have caught him off guard. Didn't look good though all the same.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Let's be honest. He doesn't know if he's leaving. He's not committing either way. He would have no problem with staying. But if he's not given assurances about the future of the club and manager, who could blame him for having his head turned by huge clubs?

Good question by Chamberlain - he got Adam. For 30 seconds he forgot the press training/ poker face tactics - raw emotion and what he said suggests he is off in the summer. Sad, but he probably is good enough for champions league football and he won't get that here.

Well, aren't you a treat. Graceful and grateful in equal measure!

Just being truthful, I'd be livid. He's got no real reason to leave, he'll be nothing more then a sub player at a top club like Bridge was and we're not a million off of being Spurs/Everton standard which is about his quality. Shaw I could understand, at least he's got the potential to be a first team regular pretty much anywhere.

**** this progressing ********, the players just want their wages doubled and to play for the biggest clubs. They don't have time to wait for Saints to become a top six side...

Seeing Lallana go will be worse than seeing bridge leave and that was the toughest to take.

Edited by Chez

If he leaves then you can bet the others will follow and that's the end of the good times. Will seriously question the people in charge if that happens.

I wouldn't bet on that. Who followed Bale out of Spurs? It doesn't work that way.

All the jokes and furore aside, I'm sure what Clattenburg said is not a million miles away from the truth. I don't mean in terms of becoming big headed but playing for England, especially performing well enough to potentially secure a starting spot at the World Cup, will change you because it'll make bigger clubs take notice of you and those playing for England at those bigger clubs will no doubt extol the virtues of playing for their team. It's got to be a bit of a head turner and if Liverpool or United come calling. it'll take some serious ambition on our part to stop him moving. Over to you Katharina, Ralph et al to sell the vision to MoPo, Adam, Luke, Morgan and others that we really do want to progress or not.

His speech will certainly give the journo's something to make a few stories from.

Mixed to be honest, sounded a bit choked as though he knows what he will be leaving behind but then said about pushing on with the club.

Give him and MoPo and Shaw bumper deals ASAP and let's enjoy the summer not fear the worst.

Good question by Chamberlain - he got Adam. For 30 seconds he forgot the press training/ poker face tactics - raw emotion and what he said suggests he is off in the summer. Sad, but he probably is good enough for champions league football and he won't get that here.

There's no probably about it, he's good enough to be making a name for himself in the Champions league and he probably knows that. As much as he'd probably love to do it with us, he knows that it will simply never ever happen. So he'll go, along with Shaw and probably Morgan and Lovren too.

It seems like a repeat of the last time we got to 8th, no ambition to drive any further forward - but perhaps as a club, this is literately it? Kind of does make you disillusioned with it all, after such a great season where we've established ourselves so well....we go into the summer fearing the worst and a potential relegation scrap next year. It's crazy.

Strange take some of you are putting on words like...

"It means the world to me, I want to keep progressing with the club" - Adam Lallana 6th May 2014

Completely ignoring the body lanauge, tone, stutter at the start, past tense talk and the choking up. He knows he's probably going to have to leave, so don't try and deny it.

Out of every single player, I'd be most gutted about seeing Lallana leave. Long summer ahead, and lets be honest, if he has an amazing World Cup the chances of him staying are even slimmer.

“The club means the world to me. I’ve been here since I was 12 and I want to keep progressing with the club.” - Adam Lallana 6th May 2014

The only error is to regard it as clear one way or the other. It was all very ambiguous, which reflects the uncertainty we all know is there.

I don't think it changes anything - if the club can prove their ambition to the players and the manager, then they are happy to stay. We've just seen the raw face of that anxiety.

What is going on? Is this why cortèse left cos kattona hasn't same drive to take it forward.

No, that's not why he left.

“The club means the world to me. I’ve been here since I was 12 and I want to keep progressing with the club.” - Adam Lallana 6th May 2014

Lol bore off. I saw the thing with my own eyes. Just because you are incapable of reading body language doesn't mean everyone else is.

The only error is to regard it as clear one way or the other. It was all very ambiguous, which reflects the uncertainty we all know is there.

I don't think it changes anything - if the club can prove their ambition to the players and the manager, then they are happy to stay. We've just seen the raw face of that anxiety.

No, that's not why he left.

Why did he leave then. Because up to when he left I was hearing Adam saying he'd be happy to stay here for life?

Completely ignoring the body lanauge, tone, stutter at the start, past tense talk and the choking up. He knows he's probably going to have to leave, so don't try and deny it.

This. The words almost didn't matter, the way he said them just felt like a goodbye.

I'm putting myself in his shoes - I'm the same age as him, I trained with him as a kid at Saints. I absolutely love this football club but if I had the talent he had, i'd be asking myself am I going to achieve everything I could do whilst here? Of course I'm not, but it'd be bloody near on impossible to leave, I think we saw that tonight. He'll go with his head though, only MLT has ever followed his heart.

Why did he leave then. Because up to when he left I was hearing Adam saying he'd be happy to stay here for life?

Up until he left Adam wasn't a good enough footballer to be interesting Champions League clubs. Katharina and the new board have shown every sign that they want to take the club forward, though the real test of that is yet to come. We've ruled out plenty of theories about Cortese's departure, such as an impending sale of the club. The obvious explanation for me is that Katharina wanted him to be more accountable and dilute his powers by bringing in a board.