2013/14 Southampton Football Club Player Awards

pap

Up until he left Adam wasn't a good enough footballer to be interesting Champions League clubs. Katharina and the new board have shown every sign that they want to take the club forward, though the real test of that is yet to come. We've ruled out plenty of theories about Cortese's departure, such as an impending sale of the club. The obvious explanation for me is that Katharina wanted him to be more accountable and dilute his powers by bringing in a board.

You don't know whether you're coming or going, do you.

Strange that Poch wasnt involved at all.He's off aswell then.

LOL ... He may have been involved prior to the YouTube link. Ed did mention that Ralph had made a speech earlier so maybe they had a round of speeches before we joined?

Haven't got round to changing my signature yet using Tapatalk

Why did he leave then. Because up to when he left I was hearing Adam saying he'd be happy to stay here for life?

Obvious. He asked KL if she would be willing to put her hand in her pocket again, to cover the wages required to keep Lallana here for life, she said in response to take it out of your own pay packet, and the rest is as they say, history.

As Team Captain what example, what inspiration and motivation is Adam giving to all the players, trainees by portraying this uncertain, and definitely, unsettling role. If indeed he does leave it will just show he should never have been made Captain in the first place. As said above, Clattenburg wasn't very far off the mark.

Really enjoyed it until the cringey Lallana speech at the end, I didn't think he looked choked up, emotional or anything I just thought Ed Chamberlain put him on the spot and he looked a bit sheepish is all really.

It was a weird question to ask 'what does this club mean to you' as he didn't come straight out and ask him 'Adam, are you staying?' but was kinda inferring that.

Don't know what to make of it really, definitely don't think he's off just yet but seems he may be considering his options at the moment.

As Team Captain what example, what inspiration and motivation is Adam giving to all the players, trainees by portraying this uncertain, and definitely, unsettling role. If indeed he does leave it will just show he should never have been made Captain in the first place. As said above, Clattenburg wasn't very far off the mark.

Again, you continue to prove you are a bit nuts.

giphy.gif

Cork winning the presidents award was the highlight for me,Steve Davis would of been a worthy winner for it as well IMO,a new contract should be given to Jack tomorrow he is too good to let go and going into the last year of his contract we would get peanuts for a quality player

Cork winning the presidents award was the highlight for me,Steve Davis would of been a worthy winner for it as well IMO,a new contract should be given to Jack tomorrow he is too good to let go and going into the last year of his contract we would get peanuts for a quality player

Yeah, that was a good pick. I think it could have gone to either Cork or Davis to be honest, but it's nice for Corky to get some recognition as he's often slid away into the background - but he's a massive part of our squad.

Kind of makes me ask the question as to why the club haven't sorted out a new contract yet. Most clubs do not let their better players go past 18 months left (we never used to tbh).......otherwise the vultures start circling, pre contracts get offered, etc.

seemed a man torn between continuing to captain a club he has played at and developed so much in the last few years or moving on to the next level to fulfil his career ambitions. don't think he has decided for sure yet but it would be utterly selfish of us fans to blame him for moving.

People are talking like he's out of contract this summer and gets to just decide if and when he leaves. He has FOUR years left on his contract. He only goes if we get an acceptable offer.

Considering Bournemouth's sell on clause I seriously doubt the 25 million fee being quoted in the press would be enough to tempt the board to sell the poster boy of the club. We need to hold out for 35, and if nobody pays it then he stays. If they do, he can go with everyone's blessing

Lallana's response to that last question only served to add to all the uncertainty. I must admit to being more concerned for having seen the interview. How many points will we finish off what would usually get a CL place, 20 points or thereabouts? It will obviously take significant investment to make up those 20 points. Better contracts for the best of the existing squad and quality bought in. I can't see that happening.

I missed the beginning. Did MP make any input? Did the Chairmen say anything of note?

Wouldn't it be lovely for MP, AL and LS to all sign new long term contracts, nobody leave and 3/4 significant improvements in. We'd have the chance to actually do something for once. I guess I/we are going to have to get used to it, because this is our level, I fear we will never go any higher.

Just being truthful, I'd be livid. He's got no real reason to leave, he'll be nothing more then a sub player at a top club like Bridge was and we're not a million off of being Spurs/Everton standard which is about his quality. Shaw I could understand, at least he's got the potential to be a first team regular pretty much anywhere.

No real reason???

So someone comes along and says I will double your wages ... you would say no would you??

Strange that Poch wasnt involved at all.He's off aswell then.

disappointing if he wasn't involved. Fear your conclusion may be correct.

LOL ... He may have been involved prior to the YouTube link. Ed did mention that Ralph had made a speech earlier so maybe they had a round of speeches before we joined?

If he did then I'd expect some footage to appear at a later stage.

Await any updates from any posters from here that might have attended.

Having read the comments on here, it seemed like he is gone, but I just watched it and came away feeling fine. It didn't suggest a good bye at all IMO. I am not saying he won't leave, but I don't think there is body language or anything else in there that points to an impending departure. The fact remains, we are a mid table side and he and one or two others are better than that, so unless we pay more than they could get elsewhere why wouldn't they depart?

Lallana's response to that last question only served to add to all the uncertainty. I must admit to being more concerned for having seen the interview. How many points will we finish off what would usually get a CL place, 20 points or thereabouts? It will obviously take significant investment to make up those 20 points. Better contracts for the best of the existing squad and quality bought in. I can't see that happening.

I missed the beginning. Did MP make any input? Did the Chairmen say anything of note?

Ralph said some bits before the YouTube feed went up. Poch didn't say a thing.

Wouldn't it be lovely for MP, AL and LS to all sign new long term contracts, nobody leave and 3/4 significant improvements in. We'd have the chance to actually do something for once. I guess I/we are going to have to get used to it, because this is our level, I fear we will never go any higher.

If Lallana does go I'll be totally honest - I'm not sure if I'll have the enthusiasm to go anymore. There's no point in shelling out the huge ticket prices if we're not going anywhere, I may as well just watch online and go to a couple of away games.

Said a few months back down the pub that we should enjoy this while it lasted as we will look back on this season in five years time as the high point. Just a shame we didn't win a trophy.

If he leaves then you can bet the others will follow and that's the end of the good times. Will seriously question the people in charge if that happens.
Why would it mean others would follow? Clubs can sometimes sell one player and not others, it's quite a normal thing to happen. Why would it make you question the people in charge?

Why would it mean others would follow? Clubs can sometimes sell one player and not others, it's quite a normal thing to happen. Why would it make you question the people in charge?

Adam (our captain and most important player and figurehead at the club) would want to leave if he feels the club are not progressing. He has made that obviously many interviews and the likes of Morgan have said similar things. If Adam goes for those reasons then why would Morgan and Shaw want to stay given what they have already said in interviews?

I would question the people in charge because what little they have said thus far and the reality will be quite different if it happens.

Having read the comments on here, it seemed like he is gone, but I just watched it and came away feeling fine. It didn't suggest a good bye at all IMO. I am not saying he won't leave, but I don't think there is body language or anything else in there that points to an impending departure. The fact remains, we are a mid table side and he and one or two others are better than that, so unless we pay more than they could get elsewhere why wouldn't they depart?
Lallana isn't the most articulate or clearest of speakers at the best of times, so who knows, it doesn't exactly come naturally to all people, stood in front of a big crowd and talking about your career without ever over committing.

Having said that you would have thought they would have prepped the questions and got neat answers sorted. The bits I saw looked a bit disorganised, Chamberlain wasn't as good as he is on Monday Night Football.

Did MP do an interview? Repeat of his English bit last season?

Adam (our captain and most important player and figurehead at the club) would want to leave if he feels the club are not progressing. He has made that obviously many interviews and the likes of Morgan have said similar things. If Adam goes for those reasons then why would Morgan and Shaw want to stay given what they have already said in interviews?

I would question the people in charge because what little they have said thus far and the reality will be quite different if it happens.

So if a top 4 club come in and offer massive money and he decides he wants to talk to them and pushes a bit for a move, it's who's fault exactly?

Lallana isn't the most articulate or clearest of speakers at the best of times, so who knows, it doesn't exactly come naturally to all people, stood in front of a big crowd and talking about your career without ever over committing.

Mmm. Imagine if Cork got a question about his future!

There's no probably about it, he's good enough to be making a name for himself in the Champions league and he probably knows that. As much as he'd probably love to do it with us, he knows that it will simply never ever happen. So he'll go, along with Shaw and probably Morgan and Lovren too.

It seems like a repeat of the last time we got to 8th, no ambition to drive any further forward - but perhaps as a club, this is literately it? Kind of does make you disillusioned with it all, after such a great season where we've established ourselves so well....we go into the summer fearing the worst and a potential relegation scrap next year. It's crazy.

Maybe the sort of money required to go further just isn't there and as the UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations kick in our chances of challenging the top sides are even less. I see no reason why the owner would have no ambition for the club but the hard truth is we really can't compete with those above us. The meteoric rise of the club the last few years was quite frankly easy (and comparatively cheap) compared to the next level.

It almost makes it harder as we've sold 1 player who we've wanted to keep in the last 5/6 years.

It's certainly going to come hard. I guess the last player to leave who I really didn't want to was Chamberlain, but that was a no brainer with us being in League 1.

So if a top 4 club come in and offer massive money and he decides he wants to talk to them and pushes a bit for a move, it's who's fault exactly?

Depends on the circumstances of his departure, how much we get for him and if anyone else leaves. Adam is worth more than others because of the bompey sell on clause but also because he is our most important player and it will signal to other clubs that our assets are all for sale.

Depends on the circumstances of his departure, how much we get for him and if anyone else leaves. Adam is worth more than others because of the bompey sell on clause but also because he is our most important player and it will signal to other clubs that our assets are all for sale.
Pretty much every player in the world is for sale. Let's wait and see and can make a judgement come middle of August.

Don't see what the owners can do about it, other than make sure we get as much cash a possible, If a player is determined to leave.

I'm praying that Le Tissier gets the chance to have a long chat with Adam and spells out that there is merits to being a one club man and consequently a legend forever. Matt could be dining and drinking for free in Southampton until he dies.

Let's just remember who the first person to walk out of the "project" was, before people start trying to denigrate the current management set up.

So determined and focused on taking his beloved Saints into the Champions League he quit halfway through our second Prem season.

Any player that goes in the summer will be doing nothing more than walking in the tiny footsteps of the first one to leave.

Let's just remember who the first person to walk out of the "project" was, before people start trying to denigrate the current management set up.

So determined and focused on taking his beloved Saints into the Champions League he quit halfway through our second Prem season.

Any player that goes in the summer will be doing nothing more than walking in the tiny footsteps of the first one to leave.

Yes but did he go because his project was no more and mediocrity plan was put in place. That wouldn't be him walking out at all.

Pretty much every player in the world is for sale. Let's wait and see and can make a judgement come middle of August.

Which is what I have advocated doing all along. At no point have u condemned the current board, I've just said what I think will happen based on the available evidence which is what a message board is for. I feel like I have this conversation every summer.

Don't see what the owners can do about it, other than make sure we get as much cash a possible, If a player is determined to leave.

Doubt he will be as determined as Suarez was last season.

Doubt we will be offered as much money as Liverpool were.

Think he is more emotionally tied to us than Suarez was to Liverpool.

I'm not convinced clubs will agree to fees we will demand - his value to us is so high, captain, sell-on clause, English, current press favourite, popular with fans so commercially sensitive, long contract etc

How many clubs will pay? Where would he want to go?

If MP stays I think all wanted players will, all guess work (same as press!)

Yes but did he go because his project was no more and mediocrity plan was put in place. That wouldn't be him walking out at all.

Myth - making nonsense.

He resigned, that's a fact, and that is walking out.

The 'mediocrity plan' is just something in your head.

If Lallana gets offered more than £100k a week to play for one of the biggest clubs in world football and he wants to go, then all the "non-mediocrity plans" in the world is not going to keep him here.

Cortese scarpered before he had to face into any of this sh it. The football equivalent of Kurt Cobain in killing himself. All what-might-have-been myth, no responsibility to ever do any of it.

Edited by CB Fry

Doubt he will be as determined as Suarez was last season.

Doubt we will be offered as much money as Liverpool were.

Think he is more emotionally tied to us than Suarez was to Liverpool.

I'm not convinced clubs will agree to fees we will demand - his value to us is so high, captain, sell-on clause, English, current press favourite, popular with fans so commercially sensitive, long contract etc

How many clubs will pay? Where would he want to go?

If MP stays I think all wanted players will, all guess work (same as press!)

Liverpool Football Club has the advantage of being Liverpool Football Club in the first place. And Suarez got a massive pay rise to stay.

And, unless I've missed it, I don't think we've sold anyone yet, have we?

I enjoyed watching that . Interesting how folk can read into Adams conversations that he us off . He was up there four times .

I'm sure Weston recent post should quell rumours being established tonight after the fourth watch

Good points mp looked happy sat with KL

Also good to see a mate of mine looking well and giving an excellent speech re the away supporters potty award . Well done Barry Webb . We must meet up for a few beers next time I'm down

Liverpool Football Club has the advantage of being Liverpool Football Club in the first place. And Suarez got a massive pay rise to stay.

And, unless I've missed it, I don't think we've sold anyone yet, have we?

Appreciate we are not Liverpool - but the point stands as teams richer, more successful etc would want Suarez, just as Liverpool may want Lallana.

If, for example, Liverpool offered £20m, even if AL saw it as a good move, I think the club would reject it & AL would happily play for us.

Had a decent chat with Ralf, he said that he is "batting calls away everyday" and that no player has expressed any desire to leave, they are determined to keep what we have etc. The same as what has been said before except Reed has denied any contact from clubs. He said he said that we should know about Poch in next couple of weeks.

I went tonight. I think people are reading a little too much into the Lallana answer, it didn't come across like that in the room.

And to those worrying, he was having a good long chat with Le Tiss at the end.

All in all a really nice evening, will post more in the morning.

Had a decent chat with Ralf, he said that he is "batting calls away everyday" and that no player has expressed any desire to leave, they are determined to keep what we have etc. The same as what has been said before except Reed has denied any contact from clubs. He said he said that we should know about Poch in next couple of weeks.

As was part of this chat can confirm the above. "Batting calls away" is quite different from what Reed said. Ralph was great to chat to though, very honest and realistic. Said there is room for growth on the political/commercial side and recognised that MP "loves the lads" and likewise they love him.

Overall great evening and good celebration of our top season.

Thoughts/Perceptions from the evening:

- Lallana is off. Not just the speech but also the body language the rest of the time - didnt befit someone who had just won four awards. Almost was like this made things harder for him.

- Shaw should stay another year. He isn't as comfortable with all the limelight as others and could do with another year here, there is no rush for him. Also from seeing him tonight I struggle to imagine him thriving miles away from either his family, or people he knows well.

- Chambers very confident and a credit to the club.

- Yoshida trained today and fine for World Cup

- Boruc has HUGE hands.

- Whole infrastructure of club is superb, we had over 15 Eng Intls from U15s to Senior team.

-A good source from the TG said that if MP stays then most of the players would.

- MP basically left quickly after the ceremony concluded whilst fans still wanted pics with him, and disappointingly didn't speak publically at all - he is the Manager FFS...

Edited by Saint Charlie