Saints fans very quiet yesterday.

Roger

I thought that our fans during the game were much quieter than usual. Utd fans were awesome. I expected most of ground to be singing please stay to manager and some of players throughout the game. Also, what is wrong with the PA system? You can't hear what they are saying at all. At other clubs they have ex players on pitch and a video montage before the game of great ex players goals over the years or songs the fans sing. When we were waiting for players they could have played the saints go marching in. Nothing in the entertainment to get the fans going. Maybe I'm getting old and cynical but for me the entertainment at the ground does nothing to promote a good atmosphere. Why weren't sholing shown at half time when people were actually there?

Hmmmm. I dunno about being at the game, but even as an ex-pat I was more subdued than I normally am from this distance. There is certainly a pervasive air of uncertainty at the moment regarding the whole direction of the club.

It's a shame, we have had a fantastic season, and we should be shouting from the rooftops. Someone in another thread said something about locking the season in our memories and remember it for the great season it was, and set whatever happens in the summer in another compartment (Paraphrasing)........I will be trying to do that.

The United fans were f***tards.

Spent the whole game (apart from when they were losing when they were deathly quiet) singing songs about Steven Gerrard and how s**t Liverpool are. Then did a conga.

Do you think that they were trying to deflect attention from their disapponting season or the success of their noisy neighbours?

United fans set up some background drone that went on for ages in the second half like a 'white' background noise. It was a noise to obliterate all other noise but did nothing for the atmosphere. Saints fans were obviously pacing themselves for the excellent reception the team got on their lap of appreciation.

Hats off to the Northam sending a clear message to Poch, Shaw and Lallana.

The support hasn't really been loud all season.

Guess there haven't been too many big/classic wins etc.

Being kept waiting for a while after the game yesterday was a pain, but was probably one of the best atmospheres of the season when the players stopped in front of the Kingsland/Northam. Goes to show that the players do value loud, vocal support.

Spent the whole game (apart from when they were losing when they were deathly quiet) singing songs about Steven Gerrard and how s**t Liverpool are. Then did a conga.

Do you think that they were trying to deflect attention from their disapponting season or the success of their noisy neighbours?

Whilst this is true we arent often much better with constant songs about Pompey.

Thought they seemed pretty good, very loud, kept singing, considering the season they've had were in reaonable spirits.

We were quiet though IMO

Pretty loud first half (Kingsland corner), subdued second half, mirrored the team on the pitch

Exactly that. First half wasn't spectacularly loud, but it was consistently half-decent.

Personally I'd rather stop chanting anything to do with Portsmouth from next season. We've hammered the point home for long enough now - would surely hurt them more to be forgotten about.

Think the reason for the subdued atmosphere during the game and second half was the realisation that we are going to sell off our best players. We have been on a great journey the last 5 years and when you are always improving and on the way forward it makes you feel positive and up for it. With players on their way + most probably manager (to be replaced with??) it somehow feels like we are at the top of our curve and we are back on the way down. Krueger's recent comments do nothing to dispel this feeling. Saints fans are used to rollercoasters and the view yesterday is we are now off on a down cycle or at best an uncertain one......

United fans pcxs me big time, hardly any wear colours, just make a noise because they are away thats all, nothing to do with the game or football. Wish we had sung Blue Moon to them. Real true support was shown at the end of the game, not trendy wannabe arrogant dross.

United fans were poor after we scored, waking up again in the 2nd half . Apart from Vidic and an ironic chant about RVP, no songs about their current crop of players - says everything about where they are as a club.

Edited by shurlock

United fans pcxs me big time, hardly any wear colours, just make a noise because they are away thats all, nothing to do with the game or football. Wish we had sung Blue Moon to them. Real true support was shown at the end of the game, not trendy wannabe arrogant dross.
You ish we'd sung Blue Moon yesterday?

Um... You're taking this pi.ss right? I mean everything you've just talked about is exactly why they're the best away support in the league, and then you go on to say we should sing Blue Moon!?

Jesus we have some proper muppets in our support don't we.

Sure the roads back to Torquay, Gillingham and Guildford were packed with the plastics returning home. They were truly awful as a set of fans, snag about Steve Gerrard pretty much all game apart from when they were deathly quiet for a long period after we scored and then towards the end with the durge they produced that no one could understand.

Sure the roads back to Torquay, Gillingham and Guildford were packed with the plastics returning home. They were truly awful as a set of fans, snag about Steve Gerrard pretty much all game apart from when they were deathly quiet for a long period after we scored and then towards the end with the durge they produced that no one could understand.

Do you really believe that? I mean you do realise that getting tickets for United away games is a nightmare right? They have a ballot system that makes ours look easy and 99% of their support is hardcore mancs (hence the songs about Gerrard).

I thought the Man U fans made their own atmosphere, the unfathomable drone in the second half made it difficult for the Northam to sustain anything, and they noticably raised the volume when the final scores were read out, to drown out the news that their hated rivals had come second, and their other hated rivals had won the title. It was interesting to hear how they perceive their "real" rivals.

Singing "Blue Moon" would have been utterly lame, just when idiots sing "Play Up Pompey" at us.

They're an annoying bunch of gobsh01tes generally though, all seemed very narky generally.

All this cobblers about "Saints fans were quiet because we know we're going to sell players..."? Um, what? Aside from a couple of negative spinners on the substitutions (which were clearly for fans to give Brazil-bound players an ovation, and to make sure they didn't get injured, considering we were playing for nothing in terms of league position) I don't think it got a mention all afternoon.

And yes, the PA is gash, the running joke is that the only place you can hear it is in the toilets, and to do that you have to suffer the plumes of half-time smoke from the addicts.

Finally, also in favour of forgetting all about comedy teams in League 2.

All this cobblers about "Saints fans were quiet because we know we're going to sell players..."? Um, what? Aside from a couple of negative spinners on the substitutions (which were clearly for fans to give Brazil-bound players an ovation, and to make sure they didn't get injured, considering we were playing for nothing in terms of league position) I don't think it got a mention all afternoon.

Thank you. Thought I was the only one who thought this was the case

I thought the Man U fans made their own atmosphere, the unfathomable drone in the second half made it difficult for the Northam to sustain anything, and they noticably raised the volume when the final scores were read out, to drown out the news that their hated rivals had come second, and their other hated rivals had won the title. It was interesting to hear how they perceive their "real" rivals.

Singing "Blue Moon" would have been utterly lame, just when idiots sing "Play Up Pompey" at us.

They're an annoying bunch of gobsh01tes generally though, all seemed very narky generally.

And yes, the PA is gash, the running joke is that the only place you can hear it is in the toilets, and to do that you have to suffer the plumes of half-time smoke from the addicts.

Finally, also in favour of forgetting all about comedy teams in League 2.

Always love how Leeds are still relevant, whichever division they're in. The Prem needs them.

Not sure what the reactions said about their rivals - other than they had every reason to avoid singing about City but not Liverpool ones. In previous seasons, the City chants have been a lot louder - indeed some of our songs have been directly lifted from them.

Oh dear, you have to wear a replica shirt to care about the football? That's what I like about Utd's away support, not a foam finger in site.

We were completely drowned out in the Itchen North through the second half.

The roads might have been packed with them returning home to where they live, but every single Man Utd fan I saw/heard (and they do like to project) had a proper Manchester accent. They might have more tourists at home, but their away support is always very good and full of proper fans. With their support base, how easy do you think it is to get away tickets??

And what would that achieve ?

I thought the "who the fck are Man Utd" song pretty poor infant school age effort, but singing Blue Moon is pitiful, just like a group of morons singing "play up pompey" etc.

No mate. No need to deflect attention from our crap season. It's what it is but thanks to David Moyes we've had blast on the road this season. You clearly have no idea about our feelings and love for LFC ;-)

No mate. No need to deflect attention from our crap season. It's what it is but thanks to David Moyes we've had blast on the road this season. You clearly have no idea about our feelings and love for LFC ;-)
Have always thought Liverpool top the hatred stakes for Man Utd, not sure where Leeds/Man City rank after that.

One thing I would not say about ANY away fans is that they're plastic! Not with the costs of travelling, the lottery of getting an away ticket and the like, especially for the bigger, long established clubs that regularly get the 50000 plus crowds. And all of them will have been ST holders I would think. We may not like away fans behaviour but they likely think the same of us when we're at their place.

Plastics are the home fans around us that left the game early to miss the traffic (and regularly do so), those that gave up waiting for the lap of honour because they perhaps felt their time was being wasted.

Yes, the 'dron'e' was truly annoying. Yes, we were quiet at times (as has happened at every home game this season). However, I thought the way we came back with 'Marching In' immediately after they scored was superb.

Yes, we have a VERY limited, not particularly tuneful repertoire and, apart from our 'signature tune', seem to focus on two-liners about our players. So perhaps we're getting bored of the same old same old?

...now, if we had some more stuff to sing - I would love to see Fat Les's Vindaloo get adapted for us - now that would really get ppl signing I think.

It was an odd game really, quite a flat place in the 2nd half. It didn't help that around me it was full of people pointing out who was who for Utd, whilst taking constant pictures. and at about 2:30 crowds gathered in front of the kingsland taking pictures of the Utd players warming up.

Seriously, do one.

Was stood in the Kingsland yesterday and thought the noise from Saints was good until the second half - and as was said above, the crowd in 2H took their lead from what was going on the pitch. Utd were louder and Saints were quieter. However the noise for the lap of honour was great, despite the fact many fans had already left.

....the unfathomable drone in the second half ...
So it was unfathomable then? I thought it was just my poor hearing. Does anyone know what they were actually chanting? The Saints fans in the North Stand also have a chant that I cannot make out, but sounds vaguely like "Arthur Boric doesn't play for Norwich" :lol: