"Total football"

JonnyOldBoy

Judging by some of Feyenoords performances, Tintin likes to lean towards total football rather than 10 behind the ball or the illusion that is the pressing game.... do people here think we have the players to play like that ? Or will Tintin be shoe-horned into a system that is not natural to him ? Is Sammy Lee good enough a tactician to be able to blend Ronald's style with the realistic requirements of the premier league ?

the illusion that is the pressing game

What do you mean by that?

Is Sammy Lee good enough a tactician to be able to blend Ronald's style with the realistic requirements of the premier league ?

and this?

Judging by some of Feyenoords performances, Tintin likes to lean towards total football ... do people here think we have the players to play like that ?

What do you think "total football" is? What type of players do you think you need for it?

Judging by some of Feyenoords performances, Tintin likes to lean towards total football rather than 10 behind the ball or the illusion that is the pressing game.... do people here think we have the players to play like that ? Or will Tintin be shoe-horned into a system that is not natural to him ? Is Sammy Lee good enough a tactician to be able to blend Ronald's style with the realistic requirements of the premier league ?

In the words of one of my old school teachers 'what the **** are you on about ?'

The last time the words "total football" were banded about St Mary's, we actually produced total crap.

No - we played some of the best football that I had seen us play up until then - it was just that the squad were too young and inexperienced and there was no end product. Portvleit (sp?) was much maligned for being asked to do the impossible and failing.

No - we played some of the best football that I had seen us play up until then - it was just that the squad were too young and inexperienced and there was no end product. Portvleit (sp?) was much maligned for being asked to do the impossible and failing.

I still remember up at Derby singing it's just like watching Brazil. We were epic that day but we didn't know what was to come!

I would like to congratulate you on such an accurate assessment of that period under Yan Portfleit... (Excuse spelling)

The football was really good and at least on a par with last year but we had a bunch if teenagers playing for us with no experience..... Not a team packed with internationals!

Like your post..

Anyone using the phrase "total football" in a context other than players switching positions and being comfortable anywhere on the pitch should be shot in the head by a cannon. Especially when it's used as lazy shorthand for any match involving a Dutch manager.

I still remember up at Derby singing it's just like watching Brazil. We were epic that day but we didn't know what was to come!

What a performance that was. Actually thought we were going to be the surprise package of the division that weekend.

not sure why people struggle with the term total football... its very simple.... you play to a formation based on zones rather than rigid positions and players interchange when required and can stay in any position for as long as required. Many Dutch, Belgian and South American teams play that way and Tintin's way of playing with Feyenoord reaped the rewards. [ it ranges from complete freedom , as in Dutch national sides of the 70s , to 2-3 position freedom as seen in Dutch/Belgian leagues today ] The problem is in the Prem , more teams are happy to sit with men behind the ball to defend and then try and counter..... so zonal play tends to collapse unless you have the patience of a saint... my point was really about tubby Sammy... is he good enough to blend the desire to play more freely with the reality that is the Prem. MoPos "pressing" game was an illusion if you look at the stats, it was just a possession game based on fitness and our home form in the run-in exposed that, lack of goals due to a 2-D approach in my opinion.