Poor Old Lallana

Gemmel

Completely unrelated, though Lebron James return to Cleveland in the NBA throws Lallana's behaviour into sharp relief.

Perhaps he'll do the same....:rolleyes:

Well the only similarity could be our fans diss him and then call him the saviour when he returns.

Only reason he has gone back is Wiggins is something special my Sixers were trying to draft him, and Iriving is a great guard, otherwise he would not of gone back, hes saying its because he wants to be home but its all BS.

Sorry massive NBA fan here.

Playing Devil's advocate.

Matt has won a lifetime of respect and adulation within the local community. He will forever be a superstar.

I wonder if Nigel De Jong will ever get that in Manchester?

I wonder if he actually gives a s**t though?

If he didn't care about how he is perceived why did he botherwith that ad in the Echo??

To massage his ego. The ad was predominantly a picture of himself. Not with his teammates or with the fans, or even from his youth team days with Bale etc. Just a big picture of himself. He doesn't care about how he's perceived, he cares about the ££££

I reckon the ad in the Echo wasn't for our benefit, but more for the wider audience. It was mentioned in the main newspapers and creates the impression that he's a "class act". This is a guy who hopes he'll be in future England squads on a regular basis, therefore it's important to him that the masses regard him positively. PR job, but not for us.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

To massage his ego. The ad was predominantly a picture of himself. Not with his teammates or with the fans, or even from his youth team days with Bale etc. Just a big picture of himself. He doesn't care about how he's perceived, he cares about the ££££

Egos exist to be serviced, serviced by a lifetime of strangers telling him how awesome he is and coaches building up his confidence and status.

He clearly didn't want to be perceived as a pariah, so he took out the article as insurance. That it backfired so terribly will be the last thing he expected, he's never had to deal with this kind of negativity before.

A clear life lesson.

I wonder if he actually gives a s**t though?

If he didn't care about how he is perceived why did he botherwith that ad in the Echo??

I was talking about De Jong. That add was pathetic though it should of had alot more words and a lot less Adam's face

I reckon the ad in the Echo wasn't for our benefit, but more for the wider audience. It was mentioned in the main newspapers and creates the impression that he's a "class act". This is a guy who hopes he'll be in future England squads on a regular basis, therefore it's important to him that the masses regard him positively. PR job, but not for us.

This. Seen so many tweets and comments saying he is a class act, really wound me up

This. Seen so many tweets and comments saying he is a class act, really wound me up

Same here. Comments in the DM getting loads of green arrows approving the "class act" that Lallana is. Got my goat big time. Shame I have to be so cynical about the bloke, would love to still regard him positively.

So glad at least some fans are smart enough to remember what he has done for the club and where he has moved to and for what reasons! Everyone here would have done the same in his situation and you'd be lying if you said otherwise. Only time will tell if it was the correct decision but a chance that probably woudnt have come around again. From.what I've heared he has had chances to jump ship when in league one and champ (including to.prem teams). He may not have left in the best light, but we all make mistakes, especially when put into a public setting and unfortunately the way liverpool and saints have gone about in conducting their business has not helped the way he has been portrayed to us Saints fans. I hope he has a successful time there, apart from against Saints. Would be great to win there in August, but woulkfd hate to see adz get anything more than a bit.of.light hearted banter from Saints fans.

And the Saints go marching on on on........

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

If in 2-4 seasons time Lallana wanted to return I would welcome him back with open arms, im sure most would too. Hes a top player who did a lot for this club and has now moved on for his shot at the 'big time' - trophies, champions league. Things he couldn't achieve here. Good luck to him

Excellent, looking at that post you're clearly a mate of his. I appreciate you posting on here so you can pass a message on in person.

Your pal is a thick, greedy moron. He had it all here. Club that made him what he is, fans that loved him, great football and home environment and the epitome of the greatest academy in European football. However, we "on,y" paid him £50k a week, **** knows how he scraped by on that last spring whilst, and I quote, "dreaming of playing in that Liverpool team"? Whilst your pal was "dreaming", he was supposed to be leading our club, our players, the ones representing our City. He disgraced us. You, me, everyone associated with our club, a club with class dignity and respect. Three things he left behind with that quote.

Yeah I'm petty, small minded and a but of a **** when it comes to the attitudes of blokes disrespecting a badge representing a City I'd bleed for just to throw a lifetime of thanks, gratitude, back slaps, free beer and stories for a few more £k a week.

Tell your pal he ain't welcome in our City any more. It could have been his but he blew it. C***.

So glad at least some fans are smart enough to remember what he has done for the club and where he has moved to and for what reasons! Everyone here would have done the same in his situation and you'd be lying if you said otherwise. Only time will tell if it was the correct decision but a chance that probably woudnt have come around again. From.what I've heared he has had chances to jump ship when in league one and champ (including to.prem teams). He may not have left in the best light, but we all make mistakes, especially when put into a public setting and unfortunately the way liverpool and saints have gone about in conducting their business has not helped the way he has been portrayed to us Saints fans. I hope he has a successful time there, apart from against Saints. Would be great to win there in August, but woulkfd hate to see adz get anything more than a bit.of.light hearted banter from Saints fans.

And the Saints go marching on on on........

"He may of not left in the best way"

"Would hate to see "ads" get more than lighthearted banter"

If you aren't a family member of his missus I'm disgusted with those quotes. Please justify how he left wth what he said about "dreaming of playing for LFC"? Remember this was our captain!

Water under the bridge eh? Banter? Soccer am *******s that mush.

Captain. Leader. Liar.

I don't care if your disgusted with my quotes. It is my opinion and have no ties to him. Yes put as bluntly as that I couldn't but also don't need to defend his quotes. It was stupid but if we were the buying club we would think it was brilliant. I just think about all the quotes players and managers have said down the years at various clubs and don't take anything they say at face value good or bad. In my opinion he still played with full commitment till the end for us and what he has done for us on the pitch is the most important thing. Im guessing he is as ****ed with how this has ended as we all are as he tried and seemed to fail in the eyes of saints fans with the echo.

Hopfully we can have another great season and forget about the players that have left and concentrate on those left and coming into the club.

The bit that makes me.laugh the most is how fans worshiping his performances and ability can start questioning it just because they didn't like what he said or how he has behaved off the pitch?

So your suggesting that Lallana, having spent 14 years of his life at this football club, regards the fans with complete contempt, no respect whatsoever, thereby his message in the Echo was a self-serving PR stunt to boost his career? An alternative hypothesis might be that he spent those 14 years training and living at Southampton FC - probably building far more affiliation with the club than many of us can claim to have - and upon making a career-defining move to one of the biggest clubs in England was still sad to leave the place but wrote a slightly underwhelming message in the Echo while arranging to relocate his family to the other side of the country. His actions weren't entirely professional, but given his incredible service I find it decidedly easy to shrug it off.

It was us,we are in benidorm,the judas couldn't of picked a worse day to fly to Manchester,poor ****er

Bet he's glad he wasn't off for a short break in benidorm.

I think he's a *****, but shouting at him in an airport is a bit over the top. Just IMO.

Ridiculous over reaction from some. If you can't understand that he moved to better his career whilst at his peak then there's no hope for some. I'm sure 99% of us would do the same.

Sure he said one or two things that were ill-advised upon leaving, but do people truly believe he meant them? I take most things said by footballers with a pinch of salt and to me they were just cheap sound bites aimed at his new fanbase. I'd far rather remember him for the many good things he did for us and the loyalty he showed in the lower leagues. Save your bile for Lovren, whose comments are far more deserving of it imo.

Ridiculous over reaction from some. If you can't understand that he moved to better his career whilst at his peak then there's no hope for some. I'm sure 99% of us would do the same.

Sure he said one or two things that were ill-advised upon leaving, but do people truly believe he meant them? I take most things said by footballers with a pinch of salt and to me they were just cheap sound bites aimed at his new fanbase. I'd far rather remember him for the many good things he did for us and the loyalty he showed in the lower leagues. Save your bile for Lovren, whose comments are far more deserving of it imo.

Agreed

. Save your bile for Lovren, whose comments are far more deserving of it imo.

Far more? Really? Has not even left yet, nor signed a replica shirt while still our player and away with his country, nor placed a cringeworthy ad in the paper. So your happy to have a go at him, but not AL, oh ok then

On a footballing level, really don't mind how he does as he is no longer Saints. Guess that if push comes to shove would say because an opposition player, like all other opposition players, hope he doesn't do as well as Saints. On a personal level I hope he does find the grass greener up north. Even if there were to be some downsides, I am sure his wages could overcome them.

But all this ******** of we should be grateful for what he has done for Saints!! How about the other way around and he should be grateful for what Saints has done for him? That seems to fall down the pecking order, certainly with the nonsense at the end of the season.

Save your bile for Lovren, whose comments are far more deserving of it imo.

Are Lovren's comments any worse than Lallana's?

I don't go on twitter so I can only go on what's put on here, as I understand it the worse thing Lovren has said is that he wants a move, p*ssed that the board haven't communicated with him and that his head is already at Liverpool. Not a lot different to the things Lallana has said including about wanting to play there...and while he was our captain.

The only thing other than that, as far as I'm aware, is what has been reported in the press that he would go on strike to move. Is that just a made up paper story or is there any real evidence that he actually said it? I don't know, I haven't seen anything.

If not his "bile" is no worse than Lallana's, surely.

Says the person who's unable to differentiate between criticism over his conduct and disappointment over his transfer.....

Excellent, looking at that post you're clearly a mate of his. I appreciate you posting on here so you can pass a message on in person.

Your pal is a thick, greedy moron. He had it all here. Club that made him what he is, fans that loved him, great football and home environment and the epitome of the greatest academy in European football. However, we "on,y" paid him £50k a week, **** knows how he scraped by on that last spring whilst, and I quote, "dreaming of playing in that Liverpool team"? Whilst your pal was "dreaming", he was supposed to be leading our club, our players, the ones representing our City. He disgraced us. You, me, everyone associated with our club, a club with class dignity and respect. Three things he left behind with that quote.

Yeah I'm petty, small minded and a but of a **** when it comes to the attitudes of blokes disrespecting a badge representing a City I'd bleed for just to throw a lifetime of thanks, gratitude, back slaps, free beer and stories for a few more £k a week.

Tell your pal he ain't welcome in our City any more. It could have been his but he blew it. C***.

Bloody hell mate.

Says the person who's unable to differentiate between criticism over his conduct and disappointment over his transfer.....

Of course I realise not all are slagging him off just for leaving, but some are (Jackanory for example).

And yes imo Lovren's comments are worse, the worst thing Adam said was some guff about dreaming of playing for Liverpool, I don't recall him slagging the club off in public whilst still an SFC employee.

Not too concerned about Lallana leaving...there are other players as good if not better (Tadic). What really gets my goat and amplifies what a bellend the guy is, is that he clearly had no regard for his position as team Captain. That to me indicates a disgraceful lack of respect for the fans and the players he leaves behind at Saints. For that reason alone I would never welcome him back to SMS, not that he would have the courage to return anyway.

haha as much as I'd love it unfortunately none of my mates are multimillionaires :(

Lallana did a lot for this club and most would do well to remember that. I'm f*cked off with the way he handled his exit which showed a complete lack of class and respect but from a footballing perspective this is the guys career. If in any other profession a bigger more successful company than your current employers offered you more money I doubt you'd turn it down. My point is that yeah he's a bit of a tw*t (all though judging by your post so are you..) I'd still have him back at the club as he's a class player. Obviously there would need to be a lot of grovelling done and only after a significant amount of time has passed.

I don't believe any player fakes a goal celebration.

Next time I wheel out the old "it's like watching your ex-wife" routine, I promise to include a smiley. I thought the idea of faking a goal celebration was quite funny but you are a tough crowd, I must say!

According to reports, Rodgers is in the middle of a £135m spending spree and expects to sign another six players. I bet that wasn't on the horizon when he signed for Liverpool. It may well be that apart from the money this could be the mistake of his life and unless he plays regularly could spell the end of his international career.

haha as much as I'd love it unfortunately none of my mates are multimillionaires :(

Lallana did a lot for this club and most would do well to remember that. I'm f*cked off with the way he handled his exit which showed a complete lack of class and respect but from a footballing perspective this is the guys career. If in any other profession a bigger more successful company than your current employers offered you more money I doubt you'd turn it down. My point is that yeah he's a bit of a tw*t (all though judging by your post so are you..) I'd still have him back at the club as he's a class player. Obviously there would need to be a lot of grovelling done and only after a significant amount of time has passed.

IMO now he has gone that's the way it should stay. We no longer have to accommodate him so players can be brought in that fit. He was a brilliant individual and one off but we nonetheless had to fit players around him. It won't be so easy for him at Liverpool.

The irony of droning on about a lack of class and dignity by submitting a hate-fuelled expletive-laden rant about a chap you've never even met. Top work.

According to reports, Rodgers is in the middle of a £135m spending spree and expects to sign another six players. I bet that wasn't on the horizon when he signed for Liverpool. It may well be that apart from the money this could be the mistake of his life and unless he plays regularly could spell the end of his international career.

He'll play.

Bet he's glad he wasn't off for a short break in benidorm.

I think he's a *****, but shouting at him in an airport is a bit over the top. Just IMO.

Well you wont like the fact that people were wishing he broke his leg then!

Im sorry but i dont agree,people in the public eye have to expect attention,good or bad.....i never heard him complain when he was being adored so he has no grounds for complaint now,most dont care that hes moved to better his career,what people dont like is the stupid things he said.

Im sure he will find comfort in counting his money so **** him

Great post.

Well you wont like the fact that people were wishing he broke his leg then!

Im sorry but i dont agree,people in the public eye have to expect attention,good or bad.....i never heard him complain when he was being adored so he has no grounds for complaint now,most dont care that hes moved to better his career,what people dont like is the stupid things he said.

Im sure he will find comfort in counting his money so **** him

Don't like him, but presume if his wife was with him, his young child was also?

Particularly unpleasant if so.

Lallana did a lot for this club and most would do well to remember that.

The club did a lot for Lallana and a fair few people would do well to remember that.

It's funny, but in these sort of conversations it's always what the player has done for the club, and the other way around is all but forgotten. Isn't it a two way thing? In fact you could say, presuming that no player is bigger than the club, that the player has benefited rather more than the club. And let's not forget, when you say he did a lot for this club, that he isn't a charity working for free but a young man earning the national average wage (if not more, especially if you add image rights, advertising, etc etc.) every single week.

The club did a lot for Lallana and a fair few people would do well to remember that.

It's funny, but in these sort of conversations it's always what the player has done for the club, and the other way around is all but forgotten. Isn't it a two way thing? In fact you could say, presuming that no player is bigger than the club, that the player has benefited rather more than the club. And let's not forget, when you say he did a lot for this club, that he isn't a charity working for free but a young man earning the national average wage (if not more, especially if you add image rights, advertising, etc etc.) every single week.

I don't disagree with any of this, my point really was that while I'm disappointed in the way he's acted he's moved on to 'bigger' things and thats fair enough, just because he's been at this club 14 years doesn't mean he has to stay with us forever. Just as we could have dumped him at any point in the last 14 years and although it is unlikely I would still have him back at the club if things don't work out at 'Pool (as I said he'd have some making up to do).

That was my point but the f*cking crackhead Jackanory decided to go off on a mad one at me.:wave:

The only person in recent times to 'handle their exit' in a poorer fashion than Adz was Kenwyne

The irony of droning on about a lack of class and dignity by submitting a hate-fuelled expletive-laden rant about a chap you've never even met. Top work.

I prefer less sterile I sound like a pundit (not an accusation) type posts.