Poortvliet stands firm

eelpie

He was certainly standing firm Saturday afternoon.

He spent the last half hour of that match firmly rooted in the same place with his hands in his pockets and gave off the body language that spelled out CLUELESS.

Not just this match mate, thats pretty much been his stance all season!

The pre-season prediction that JP would be gone by Christmas looks unlikely but I will be suprised if he is still here in a month's time. I'd be further surpised if moves were not already afoot to find a replacement (Cotterill anyone?) and allow JP to exit by "mutual consent". Just give it time ....

The pre-season prediction that JP would be gone by Christmas looks unlikely but I will be suprised if he is still here in a month's time. I'd be further surpised if moves were not already afoot to find a replacement (Cotterill anyone?) and allow JP to exit by "mutual consent". Just give it time ....

I think you're underestimating the ego of a certain Rupert Lowe ;)

Ego certainly but the man isn't totally stupid. The results from now until end January will determine JP's fate but it's going to need a remarkable transformation if he is to keep his job.

Ego certainly but the man isn't totally stupid. The results from now until end January will determine JP's fate but it's going to need a remarkable transformation if he is to keep his job.

Lowe knows his shares are now worth fecuk all, and I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the "Revolutionary Coaching Set Up" as his last throw of the dice.

If it doesn't come off he hasn't lost anything as it's technically already been lost.

IMHO, he'll stick with this until the end, for good or bad.

Why would JP walk out of a well paid job in this climate - where is he to go from here?

He was plucked from nowhere (apologies to Dutch football) and that is where he will go back to.

This is his big payday its not just him that needs to go as Wotte and Gorre also need to follow and lets get in someone that can actually influence a game not look like a frightened rabbit every week.

Why would JP walk out of a well paid job in this climate - where is he to go from here?

He was plucked from nowhere (apologies to Dutch football) and that is where he will go back to.

This is his big payday its not just him that needs to go as Wotte and Gorre also need to follow and lets get in someone that can actually influence a game not look like a frightened rabbit every week.

And I don't think that there is any way that Lowe will sack Jan because to do so would be an admission of failure on his part and IMHO as he is so intrinsically linked with this appointment, he would also have to fall on his sword.

Therefore I think we are stuck with the status quo and we need to start praying that we either start to improve, or that the ar55r3 falls out of someone elses season.

I have seen Steve Cotterill at just about every Saturday game at St Mary's recently. I assume he is either scouting or working as a Prozone anayst. He would be a very good candidate for the job.

at nearly every chance he gets on telly he praises our club...you can just tell he is interested...

would be interesting to see how he does and if he can turn us around...he knows this league and has done ok...

Lowe knows his shares are now worth fecuk all, and I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the "Revolutionary Coaching Set Up" as his last throw of the dice.

If it doesn't come off he hasn't lost anything as it's technically already been lost.

IMHO, he'll stick with this until the end, for good or bad.

Maybe, but that scenario requires JP to be willing to slug it out to the end as well which seems unlikely given his non-combative personality.

What really annoys me is the excuse that the lads are tired, they are young fit lads and shouldnt be tired they should be able to play two games a week, they even had two days off last week.

It's often said that teams, after a while, play in the personality of their manager and JP has seemed tired and careworn for most of the season.

What really annoys me is the excuse that the lads are tired, they are young fit lads and shouldnt be tired they should be able to play two games a week, they even had two days off last week.

I agree I dont like slating the lads but they let everybody down big time on saturday there are lots of teams in this league playing mainly youngsters and I think the there only young and they are tired excuse is wearing thin it seems to me if we are going to stay up it is time for a change.

We have proven goal scorers at this level out on loan helping our rivals avoid the drop WTF it is time for a change.

at nearly every chance he gets on telly he praises our club...you can just tell he is interested...

would be interesting to see how he does and if he can turn us around...he knows this league and has done ok...

The relocation costs would be minimal as well - he lives in Christchurch I believe.

Isn't he? If he had any sense at all, he would have stuck with Pearson. The advantage there was that if things went pear-shaped, he could blame Crouch for appointing him, whereas if they went well, he could bask in the reflected glory. In short, he was on a win/win situation. Lowe gambled everything on this mad experiment working and getting rid of Crouch's man was a bonus.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked, so all the blame sits firmly on his shoulders and IMO his reputation for sensible dealings has gone right out of the window at the same time. We are a joke and he is the chief clown.

Surely the same must apply to all the other teams that we have played. I can't remember seeing any of those look 'tired'. They look completely lost to me, not tired.

And I don't think that there is any way that Lowe will sack Jan because to do so would be an admission of failure on his part and IMHO as he is so intrinsically linked with this appointment, he would also have to fall on his sword.

Therefore I think we are stuck with the status quo and we need to start praying that we either start to improve, or that the ar55r3 falls out of someone elses season.

I disagree, he's sacked his appointments before. I don't think he particularly cares what you or I think as to whether he's admitting failure or not.

Just for those that peddle out the "we can't afford Cotterill".

Dismiss Jan, Gorre, Wotte as 3 cost less than Pearson the compensation wont be that much.

Get Rid of Smith, Pekhart, Gasmi, Pulis.

Open up the beer bars at half-time against Man Utd you wasted last Saturday! the money would be enough to pay at least one weeks wages.

Rupert you are being paid for 2 days work a week and lets be honest its failing dismally so why not reduce it to one - you can do 2 days in one if you plan your time better just concentrate on the urgent stuff like a decent manager and sending out p60s.

Isn't he? If he had any sense at all, he would have stuck with Pearson. The advantage there was that if things went pear-shaped, he could blame Crouch for appointing him, whereas if they went well, he could bask in the reflected glory. In short, he was on a win/win situation. Lowe gambled everything on this mad experiment working and getting rid of Crouch's man was a bonus.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked, so all the blame sits firmly on his shoulders and IMO his reputation for sensible dealings has gone right out of the window at the same time. We are a joke and he is the chief clown.

I agree. NP was the sensible low risk option at the time but Lowe's ego overrode all other considerations. Ego was the cause of his original downfall and it will be the same this time. Sad but entirely predictable.

I disagree, he's sacked his appointments before. I don't think he particularly cares what you or I think as to whether he's admitting failure or not.

I did think of that when I was posting (particularly the hiring and firing of Wigley), but just think that this time around he really has nailed his colours to the mast.

There was a massive fanfare about this being the way forward and how revolutionary etc it was, so just think that this is not just about the appointment of a Manager (Head Coach), but is instead much bigger.

I also think that maybe if this fails, then his support base might start to answer questions as this would be a second failure.

I did think of that when I was posting (particularly the hiring and firing of Wigley), but just think that this time around he really has nailed his colours to the mast.

There was a massive fanfare about this being the way forward and how revolutionary etc it was, so just think that this is not just about the appointment of a Manager (Head Coach), but is instead much bigger.

I also think that maybe if this fails, then his support base might start to answer questions as this would be a second failure.

I truly believe he'd gladly bin off Jan, bring in someone else and claim that his vision was right but Jan wasn't up to it.

third if you include Gray or did you mean something else when you said second failure?

He must be under pressure else i don't think the website would have ran this story.

They're at least recognising the fact there is a bit of pressure on him, that's the first time he's had it and does look like it might be teeing the club up for his removal. Don't think the article would have been shaped like that if his role was safe until the end of the season?

If there is one thing that runs parallel to Ruperts ego it is probably his instinct for self preservation,so it seems likely that JP will be 'encouraged' to racknowledge the "mutual consent" option put in front of him.

Wotte too has always struck me as someone who might be prepared to see JP leave in order to maintain his position. Lets not forget who it was that maintained contact with Rupert after he had unceremoniously been dumped by RL three years ago.

Cotterill would be fab. Did well at Burnley until the very end.

In the NP mould i would say.

Is that the Cotterill who had a 23 match run with Burnley without a win in 2006/7,and then a poor 11 game run in 2007/8 before being sacked ?

I have previously advocated SC as a possibility given his achievements at Cheltenham BUT as pointed out to me before he has done bugger all of note since.

If there is one thing that runs parallel to Ruperts ego it is probably his instinct for self preservation,so it seems likely that JP will be 'encouraged' to racknowledge the "mutual consent" option put in front of him.

Wotte too has always struck me as someone who might be prepared to see JP leave in order to maintain his position. Lets not forget who it was that maintained contact with Rupert after he had unceremoniously been dumped by RL three years ago.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but if it was Wotte that was approachced previously by Lowe, then why wasn't he given the managers job this time round? Was JP part of the equation last time?

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but if it was Wotte that was approachced previously by Lowe, then why wasn't he given the managers job this time round? Was JP part of the equation last time?

it was wotte and some other chap from feyenord (sp)...then burley came into the picture..

Is that the Cotterill who had a 23 match run with Burnley without a win in 2006/7,and then a poor 11 game run in 2007/8 before being sacked ?

I have previously advocated SC as a possibility given his achievements at Cheltenham BUT as pointed out to me before he has done bugger all of note since.

Would he take £50k a year? Could he earn more than that as a youth team coach at a Premiership side?

He's not done a bad job at Burnley. Inconsistent, yes, but poor runs were always preceeded with very good spells. It shows what a good start they had in 06/07 that a 23 game winless streak didn't cost them there place in the division.

But we've seen success doesn't always equal success again.

But he does have knowledge of this league, he's worked under financial contraints before, he's young and English and, alright, maybe not thrived in this league, but certainly held his own in it. Plus, i think he's a good choice based on the fact we're broke and i reckon he's someone that is cheap but better than what we've got now.

I'd have Davies everyday of the week if we could afford him. Don;t get me wrong, i hate his style, but whatever anyone says if you're winning football matches, the style is only of second importance.

The trouble is that Lowe and some on here believe that just survival in this league is a good result.

Whilst I understand the sentiments, the reality is that Lowe has put together a regime that will probably not even achieve survival. He has asked so much from so little and the buck stops with him.

Captain Six Percent taking the good shop Southampton down for the second time

"Not on my Watch " The ruddy faced Captain cried. "What happened to my exciting Total football revolution the envy of so many clubs"

Same old crap talked by Jan every week. Getting all very predictable. I'm sure they'll be working extra hard on the training ground this week!! Not sure if he mentioned that this week!!

Have to agree he does/has said the same thing all season. It is now at the point where i actually wonder if he knows it is his job to make the players motivated/want to win etc.. He talks as if he has no control of it and that makes me believe even more maybe he has now lost the dressing room.

How long can he come out after every loss/draw saying what he is saying?

If we lose to Plymouth i expect him to resign. That would be the worst sequence of results in this football clubs history. If any of us performed like that in our jobs we would be sacked.

Same old crap talked by Jan every week. Getting all very predictable. I'm sure they'll be working extra hard on the training ground this week!! Not sure if he mentioned that this week!!

It's Wilde's job to write the post match appraisal / discussion piece, but unfortunately he's been busy with family commitments over seas, so the same one needs to be recycled every week.