Peach/Krueger

Matthew Le God

Simon Peach @SimonPeach · 3h

Spent 30 minutes chatting #SaintsFC with Ralph Krueger in his office today. My interview with the chairman on the @pressassoc wire at 10pm.

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 9m

Ralph Krueger believes it would have been an "insane risk" for #SaintsFC to keep a core of disgruntled players this summer

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 8m

Krueger: "Contracts should be respected, first of all. You sign contracts and both sides need to respect contracts" #SaintsFC

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 8m

Krueger: "There was a situation when there was so much change... & ended up with half of your starters not really committed to being there"

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 7m

Krueger: "That is an insane risk for any club and especially a club which was already quite thin [in terms of depth] last year" #SaintsFC

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 7m

Krueger: "If a few players are disgruntled or maybe not sure about it, you can swallow that up. You can't have half the team" #SaintsFC

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 6m

#SaintsFC have not fined Schneiderlin for his tweet: "We're not the kind of club that right off the bat is going to overreact," Krueger said

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 5m

On #SaintsFC's sales, Krueger said: "Every player has gone to an absolutely top club. We've received prices that were above expectations"

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 6m

Krueger: "We are now on a building & not in a reducing phase. You shouldn't, as a club, take everything personally & we didn't" #SaintsFC

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 5m

Krueger believes this "summer of pain" at #SaintsFC is unlikely to ever be repeated thanks to the club's complete restructuring

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 4m

Krueger: "We've completely redefined the Southampton way, completely redefined the values & how we want to get to where we want to get"

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 3m

Krueger: "There was no exec board when I arrived. It can't be that if one person gets hit by a bus the club doesn't keep moving forwards"

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 1m

The rest of my Ralph Krueger interview on the PA wires now. Will post links later

Articles based on the meeting with a select few journalists...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2717490/Southampton-exodus-help-club-long-run-says-chairman-Ralph-Krueger.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/11014888/Only-good-times-ahead-says-Southampton-chairman-Ralph-Krueger-despite-93m-sale-of-key-players.html

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/05/southampton-transfers-finished?CMP=twt_gu

Edited by Matthew Le God

hmm 'sounds' good but then I've never had a problem with Ralph just because he has a funny accent and was a hockey coach. The proof will still be in the pudding and his record isn't great, but everyone makes mistakes and the bloke was only just into the job. I do appreciate what comes across as honesty.

These two journos need to go on our twitter watch then. It is likely our PR team has chosen them to be fed more ITK club info for the season.

Interested in how he has redefined the Southampton way and our values. Struggling to find where the substance is in that statement.

You get to watch and find out, that's the exciting bit about football Hypo, it isn't just words you can actually wait and see it for your own eyes before casting judgements.

You get to watch and find out, that's the exciting bit about football Hypo, it isn't just words you can actually wait and see it for your own eyes before casting judgements.

Forgive me, but I thought the Southampton way as it was defined encompassed more than just the football on the pitch.

hmm 'sounds' good but then I've never had a problem with Ralph just because he has a funny accent and was a hockey coach. The proof will still be in the pudding and his record isn't great, but everyone makes mistakes and the bloke was only just into the job. I do appreciate what comes across as honesty.
I agree with all that, definitely don't see what he's done for some people to dislike him so much.

Interesting that he describes keeping a core of disgruntled players as an "insane risk".

Personally, I think selling off said players before lining up adequate replacements is an insane risk.

As is leaving the majority of strengthening until a week before the season starts.

I wish he wouldn't do interviews. I just read the Telegraph. I just can't help it, but I don't believe a word he says. Regardless of his attempts at positivity, the reason our players are leaving (not left in the past tense) is partly down to appalling Boardroom management, of which Krueger was a part.

If he just shut up and delivered the goods and the money to Koeman to spend on transfers I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But the blokes a liability. And saying KL is not going to invest another penny is suicidal.... for both of them.

I so want him to prove me wrong. I so want him to deliver on his promises. But all I hear are Lowe-isms.

Edited by SaintRobbie

I wish he wouldn't do interviews. I just read the Telegraph. I just can't help it, but I don't believe a word he says. Regardless of his attempts at positivity, the reason our players are leaving (not left in the past tense) was partly down to appalling Boardroom management, of which Krueger was a part.

No, its because some of the most high profile/richest clubs in world football have offered the club huge amounts of money and turned the player's heads with offers of pay rises and a better chance of European/international football.

Edited by Matthew Le God

And saying KL is not going to invest another penny is suicidal.... for both of them.

And there in lies your problem he didn't say that. I suggest you re address by posting what he is quoted as saying. I cannot take seriously any of your posts as your arguments are flawed by your own pre conceived ideas.

As is leaving the majority of strengthening until a week before the season starts.

Agents and players are playing hardball as you'd expect. Vlaar, for example, has gone back to the Villa board and said I'll stay if you pay me XXX others I'm off. We have to wait to see if Villa pay XXX and if they do go back with XXXX.

Players and agents are in the box seat.

A player who I know we and others are/were interested in won't talk to any club before they agree to his wage demands if £80k per week. He'll move this window as his agents know clubs get desperate as the clock ticks and he'll get what he wants.

Agents and players are playing hardball as you'd expect. Vlaar, for example, has gone back to the Villa board and said I'll stay if you pay me XXX others I'm off. We have to wait to see if Villa pay XXX and if they do go back with XXXX.

A player who I know we and others are/were interested in won't talk to any club before they agree to his wage demands if £80k per week. He'll move this window as his agents know clubs get desperate as the clock ticks and he'll get what he wants.

Any clue as to who this is? I remember you posted this before and assumed it was Bony or Lukaku with those wages. one of them has gone so he's out.

Interested in how he has redefined the Southampton way and our values. Struggling to find where the substance is in that statement.

Spot on. Refused to state our ends - a refusal to state our ambition, when ambition has been the key question of KL and the Board. Lack of ambition is the reason out best players and good manager have cited for leaving. This interview leaves more questions unanswered than it answers... Please stop this man from talking on behalf of the club. Please. Just shut up and deliver.

I wish he wouldn't do interviews. I just read the Telegraph. I just can't help it, but I don't believe a word he says. Regardless of his attempts at positivity, the reason our players are leaving (not left in the past tense) is partly down to appalling Boardroom management, of which Krueger was a part.

If he just shut up and delivered the goods and the money to Koeman to spend on transfers I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But the blokes a liability. And saying KL is not going to invest another penny is suicidal.... for both of them.

I so want him to prove me wrong. I so want him to deliver on his promises. But all I hear are Lowe-isms.

You're entitled to your own opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts.

No, its because some of the most high profile/richest clubs in world football have offered the club huge amounts of money and turned the player's heads with offers of pay rises and a better chance of European/international football.

No. That's part of it,and the latter was what our ambition under Cortese was taking us to. We needed 3 players this summer to break into Europe.... And our ambition bubble burst.

Spot on. Refused to state our ends - a refusal to state our ambition, when ambition has been the key question of KL and the Board. Lack of ambition is the reason out best players and good manager have cited for leaving. This interview leaves more questions unanswered than it answers... Please stop this man from talking on behalf of the club. Please. Just shut up and deliver.

So stating the aim is Europe isn't stating an aim?

You're not having a good night. Switch the lap top off and go to bed.

And there in lies your problem he didn't say that. I suggest you re address by posting what he is quoted as saying. I cannot take seriously any of your posts as your arguments are flawed by your own pre conceived ideas.

Ok. He said we couldn't rely on KL to invest.

No. That's part of it,and the latter was what our ambition under Cortese was taking us to. We needed 3 players this summer to break into Europe.... And our ambition bubble burst.

You keep conveniently overlooking bits and twisting what Krueger said.

Krueger even uses the phrase that the players wanted s "short cut to the Champions League" and has in recent interviews still be speaking of Europe being the aim for Saints. Adam Lallana wasn't going to play Champions League football with Saints in 2014/15, he gets that with Liverpool along with a large pay rise and a better chance of making the England starting line-up.

I found nothing in either guardian or telegraph reports to take issue with.

Kreuger has done as good a job as can be done there AFAICS.

He makes fair points regarding Morgan too.

I guess the two 'non-starters' that went are Rickie & Calumn?

Of course you can't please all of the people all of the time,

and you can't please some of the people on here any of the time.

Two serious newspapers. Let the red top gutter press rags put their spin on it and sensationalise it, rather like some of our own posters on here do, as they already have in fact with this interview.

Forgive me, but I thought the Southampton way as it was defined encompassed more than just the football on the pitch.

Yes I believe so, but ultimately 'the southampton way' is just a cute label for the blueprint that is hoped will achieve a good product on the pitch and increase revenue, profits, sponsorships, sales etc. You know this though.

Edited by Mallagroth

Interesting, sounds like Remy to me as we know he's a wage-chasing mercenary, otherwise he'd never have gone to QPR in the first place! FWIW I'd still love him at the club, especially for £8.5m if Bony would cost £20m...

Yes I believe so, but ultimately 'the southampton way' is just a cute label for the blueprint that is designed to arrive at a good product on the pitch.

Would be nice to get some more defined details from him though. At the moment it feels very loose and undefined which is probably how he wants it. As long as all targets are up for interpretation, there will be little to measure success.

Edited by hypochondriac

Would be nice to get some more defined details from him though. At the moment it feels very loose and unrefined which is probably how he wants it. As long as all targets are up for interpretation, there will be little to measure success.

It wouldn't matter if there were tons of developments which could be used as a measure of success; I'm sure that you'd still feel that he had failed in some way.

A valuable contribution Wes as always. Thanks for your incorrect views as per usual.

Of course, as it is a criticism of your constant whining negativity, it isn't for you to say whether it is incorrect or not, is it? However, I will gladly accept the views from those who I respect.

There are some who cast themselves as the Merchant of Venice, always demanding more, always trying to squeeze blood out of a stone. Very worrying when thy profess to being Saints supporters.

Pal- the space biscuits a little on the strong side tonight?

measure success....in whose minds? We already have neurotics like Saint Robbie making their own facts up.

It has been a difficult summer, no doubt but what exactly Krueger spoke about can you take the hump with?

He's right re disgruntled players - in my workplace we had a number of disgruntled staff who were bringing everyone else down. They were let go and we got new staff in who wanted to be part of the team and surprise, surprise results improved.

Now should they have had replacements lined up sooner - absolutely. But if you are going to give Krueger et al a hard time, do it for the right reasons not for some self-obsessed, entitled view that has no semblance in reality.

Of course, as it is a criticism of your constant whining negativity, it isn't for you to say whether it is incorrect or not, is it? However, I will gladly accept the views from those who I respect.

As will I. You can see why I ignore your views then. I wish you would do the same and ignore my posts.

Hard to ignore 21,492 pieces of boring crap, even if you tried!

About 15 of your last 20 posts have been about me and you only get 3 posts a day! Over a weeks worth of posts almost entirely about me. You've been following me around the board for years. Nice to know you find me so fascinating.

Edited by hypochondriac

About 15 of your last 20 posts have been about me and you only get 3 posts a day! Over a weeks worth of posts almost entirely about me. You've been following me around the board for years. Nice to know you find me so fascinating.

Hard not to follow you around the board, you infect every thread!

For those who feel reassured by what Mr Kreuger said, here are a couple of confusing (worrying?) quotes.

"You cannot begin a Premier League season with half of your starters disgruntled"

and

"The five players we sold were not all starters"

So disgruntled starters remain. More sales to come? Or somehow has Mr Kreuger found out how to make those disgruntled starters now feel gruntled instead?

For those who feel reassured by what Mr Kreuger said, here are a couple of confusing (worrying?) quotes.

"You cannot begin a Premier League season with half of your starters disgruntled"

and

So disgruntled starters remain. More sales to come? Or somehow has Mr Kreuger found out how to make those disgruntled starters now feel gruntled instead?

Yes? Morgan is a disgruntled starter and Kreuger has promised that we can manage that.

and

What he said was "half of your starters." Now that the main ones likely to be disgruntled have left, that situation has changed. So Schneiderlin might still be upset that he wasn't allowed to join the exodus, or was it his agent who was mainly upset? He wanted to go to Spurs rather than Arsenal apparently, because he probably wouldn't have been first choice there. But he will be first choice at Saints and now that he has calmed down, he might realise that he is better off here in terms of raising his profile, especially if Koeman's team is built around him. Another factor that he ought to consider, is that wanting to follow Pochettino will be pretty pointless if he then gets the bullet at Spurs half way through the season. Rodriguez isn't a dissent problem yet, as he has not returned to full fitness, so might as well stay and have another think in January.

As for the part about not all of them being starters, that is true, isn't it?

In the same way that there is all this discontent on here that will dissipate somewhat when the season starts, I'm convinced that the players are also a bit tetchy in the lull between seasons and will buckle down when they are playing again.