Katarina Doesn't Want To Invest Anymore In The Club - Krueger

Pastor Patrón

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/11014888/Only-good-times-ahead-says-Southampton-chairman-Ralph-Krueger-despite-93m-sale-of-key-players.html

And does the same apply to Katharina Liebherr, the club’s owner, whose funding has underpinned Southampton’s rise over these past five years from administration to an eighth-place Premier League finish?

“One of the big things was to stop the investments from Katharina,” Krueger says.

1) It's her money.

2) This is probably putting the club on a stable and sustainable finacial footing.

3) “When she sees 30,000 people having pleasure watching the team perform it makes her happy in the memory of why her father [Markus] invested in the first place. "You can see her father is alive in this building for her. The club is not for sale.”

Yes, not that she didn't want to invest but to stop her having to because our former CEO was spunking money up the wall.

Well done drawing attention to this.

And made even more money for her. TV money alone for the past two seasons has to be £100m+

Ignore the OP's title because this article is actually extremely positive. Consider the benefits of having a self sustaining club that doesn't rely upon continuous investment from the owner to survive. Would you rather support Everton or QPR?

Is it a risk? Yes, but it's a risk that will pay incredible dividends should it succeed. It's great to see the board stand strong with contractual situations and try and attain the best position for the club with regards to transfer fees. It's also good to see Krueger spell it out in words: the board are there for the long term and are trying to make themselves as accountable as possible.

Again, there's risk and uncertainty involved at the moment, but I'd much rather support Southampton in its attempts to achieve something substantial than be negative and defeatist.

I hate the fact he constantly calls us "Saints". It's like he's trying to suck up to us and pretending to be "one of us". His accent his adds to the cheese. That's my only gripe with him though. Unlike a lot on here I quite like him. If he keeps us a stable PL club, I'll be very happy.

TV income = miles more than watford is valued 3x times over at least

What a shame our former CEO couldn't take advantage of our TV exposure and attract some commercial income bigger than small championship clubs Jamie.

Yes, not that she didn't want to invest but to stop her having to because our former CEO was spunking money up the wall.

Well done drawing attention to this.

Absolutely. We've had some tough love from Kat this summer which wouldn't have been needed had we been more sensible in the past.

And made even more money for her. TV money alone for the past two seasons has to be £100m+

So the daughter of someone who saved our club from extinction has the nerve to make some money out of a business they own. Outrageous.

FFS, get a sense of perspective. We're not a ****ing charity we're a business. Just remember where we were.

Well done Pastor by the way. Out of a long interview you manage to pick on the one line that could be considered negative and make a whole new thread out of it.

I hate the fact he constantly calls us "Saints". It's like he's trying to suck up to us and pretending to be "one of us". His accent his adds to the cheese. That's my only gripe with him though. Unlike a lot on here I quite like him. If he keeps us a stable PL club, I'll be very happy.

Its 'the saints' thank you very much.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/11014888/Only-good-times-ahead-says-Southampton-chairman-Ralph-Krueger-despite-93m-sale-of-key-players.html

And does the same apply to Katharina Liebherr, the club’s owner, whose funding has underpinned Southampton’s rise over these past five years from administration to an eighth-place Premier League finish?

“One of the big things was to stop the investments from Katharina,” Krueger says.

I don't see the problem with this statement. Look, we're a 'provincial' club who was batting above its weight for 27 years in the top flight. Finishing 2nd once in an era where football was so different it was unreal; I mean, signing Keegan is like us signing Messi, Ronaldo or Bale now, right? It's mental!

We have never and will never have the fanbase of Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. They are the 3 defacto top clubs by power of revenue alone. Chelsea and Man City have joined them by ridiculous injections of cash and in the case of Man City, have fallen foul of the FFP rules.

Even when we had the Dell with "unlimited" standing, 30,000 people was our max. Sure, for a big game we could pull 45/50000, but in these times of austerity, that would be once or twice a season. 30/35000 is about right for us and we're about the right size for a mid-table club who occasionally gets some amazing players (last season) that could propel us higher. Many would argue Pochettino should have done better with these players ......

But, why should we expect her to pump in her own cash? She has a self-sustaining, mid-table Prem side who make fluke the odd appearance in Europe and that keeps producing top class talent.

The trouble with a lot of Saints fans is Sky; the Sky generation.

It's just occurred to me that the opposing attitudes are analogous to the opposing political ideals in Britain. One side wants to continually pump in money so that everyone can have a good time, the other wants us all to be self-sufficient.

An absolutely ridiculous analogy.

I don't see the problem with this statement. Look, we're a 'provincial' club who was batting above its weight for 27 years in the top flight. Finishing 2nd once in an era where football was so different it was unreal; I mean, signing Keegan is like us signing Messi, Ronaldo or Bale now, right? It's mental!

We have never and will never have the fanbase of Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. They are the 3 defacto top clubs by power of revenue alone. Chelsea and Man City have joined them by ridiculous injections of cash and in the case of Man City, have fallen foul of the FFP rules.

Even when we had the Dell with "unlimited" standing, 30,000 people was our max. Sure, for a big game we could pull 45/50000, but in these times of austerity, that would be once or twice a season. 30/35000 is about right for us and we're about the right size for a mid-table club who occasionally gets some amazing players (last season) that could propel us higher. Many would argue Pochettino should have done better with these players ......

But, why should we expect her to pump in her own cash? She has a self-sustaining, mid-table Prem side who make fluke the odd appearance in Europe and that keeps producing top class talent.

Agreed

N/t

“One of the big things was to stop the investments from Katharina,” Krueger says. “When she sees 30,000 people having pleasure watching the team perform it makes her happy in the memory of why her father [Markus] invested in the first place.

"You can see her father is alive in this building for her. The club is not for sale.”

Positive. She has an emotional attachment to the club. So do I. Stability.

Thanks for posting the link, Pastor. I'm enormously encouraged from reading it. We can be that rarity in English football, a self-sustaining, well run club, producing the young talent for the future, living within our means. I'm sure that is what you would want too, isn't it?

Up to her really, the club is meant to be self-sustaining as being a 'provincial' club means we can't go the other way about improving. Cortese didn't fancy this when coupled with FFP restrictions and whilst we'd probably all love the club to be spending a hundred million a window like the Big 4, if you do that when you aren't one you end up like the skates. It's a balance that needs to be accepted, I suppose...

Edited by JxgrSaint
Spelling

“One of the big things was to stop the investments from Katharina,” Krueger says. “When she sees 30,000 people having pleasure watching the team perform it makes her happy in the memory of why her father [Markus] invested in the first place.

"You can see her father is alive in this building for her. The club is not for sale.”

Positive. She has an emotional attachment to the club. So do I. Stability.

Let's see what they've achieved by 1 Sep. I hope the indications are positive.

Up to her really, the club is meant to be self-sustaining as being a 'provincial' club means we can't go the other way about improving. Cortese didn't fancy this when coupled with FFP restrictions and whilst we'd probably all love the club to be spending a hundred million a window like the Big 4, if you do that when you aren't one you end up like the skates. It's a balance that needs to be accepted, I suppose...

Thanks for re-writing that post bro, the last one was totes emosh. No one wants to hear dogs barking as this Lamborghini of a poster drives past.

Agree 100%,well said.

Top post

Wise words

Are we going to get alot of these threads where the procedure is:

1. Pick quotes wildly out of context

2. Add scaremongering, attention seeking title

3. Ask non-sequitur rhetorical question

4. Enjoy ensuing pointless catfight?

Sums up Saint Charlie perfectly. He's no longer the positive poster everyone used to enjoy reading. :(

True dat.

Excellent post. Agree with all of that.

It seems the idiot business duo are back, to teach us all how the world of business and micro-economics works.

Are you implying that we have spent more then £160M (assuming it's £80m a season from tv) since Cortese was here?

If so would love to know from your business expertise where that money went?

I have nothing against KL making money. What I have a problem with is ****s like Jeff who think Cortese lost us a lot of money without making any back.

Are you implying that we have spent more then £160M (assuming it's £80m a season from tv) since Cortese was here?

If so would love to know from your business expertise where that money went?

I have nothing against KL making money. What I have a problem with is ****s like Jeff who think Cortese lost us a lot of money without making any back.

Just google it, its not hard. In the first year of the PL wages alone were more than income and in 2012/13 they were still nearly two thirds of income. During that time and subsequently there has been spending of £30m on Staplewood and £60m odd transfer fees for Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Rodriguez, Lovren, Ramirez, Wanyama etc etc. KL had to bail the club out with £52m just in the two years period up till 30th June 2013. Under Cortese Saints haemoraged money, some of it unavoidable as we geared up to compete in the PL, some of it wasted.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/31032014-financial-results-201213-1455995.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27411682

Edited by buctootim

Just google it, its not hard. In the first year of the PL wages were more than income. In 2012/13 they were still nearly two thirds of income - leaving not enough for £30m spend on Staplewood or £60m odd transfer fees for Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Rodriguez, Lovren, Ramirez, Wanyama etc etc. KL had to bail the club out with £52m just in the two years period up till 30th June 2013. Under Cortese Saints haemorraghed money, some of it unavoidalble as we geared up to compete in the PL, some of it wasted.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/31032014-financial-results-201213-1455995.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27411682

So where did that £110m tv money go? Are you of the belief we spent all that in those 24 months? Or to be specific did Cortese spend all that money?

So where did that £110m tv money go? Are you of the belief we spent all that in those 24 months? Or to be specific did Cortese spend all that money?

Wages and transfers mainly. Its not a question of belief its a question of facts in audited accounts. The figures are explained in black and white and are checked by external auditors. In the 5 years years up to June 2013 neither KL nor her dad took any money out of the club they only pumped cash in, lots of it, at least £70m. The figures for the year just gone ie from 1st July 2013 to 30th June 2014 wont be ready until spring next year but I'll bet you any money you like that again she wont have taken money out.

Edited by buctootim

Love the way the term "invest" is used in general, and on here ....it actually means "spend".

This evening I "invested" in 5 pints of beer and a hamburger. I nearly considered "investing" in super-sizing my McDonalds meal. But I think that would have been an "investment" too far.

Well said that man!