The New Line Up

John McGrath's Jockstrap

Lots of coming and goings at the moment. Bit confused about the Long and Pelle combination (ie 2 up top) which suggests that we will play 3-5-2, so this presumably will look like:

Forster

Fonte------------------Gardos

Wanyama

Clyne-------JWP------------ Tadic-----------Davis-----------Bertrand

Long----------Pelle

I assume Morgan, and Cork will be gone shortly, so this leaves Taider, Gallagher, Reed on the bench.

hmmm - thoughts everybody???

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Gardos - Bertrand

Morgan - Wanyama - Taider

Long - Pelle - Tadic

Wanyama steps back to make three when required. Long & Tadic effectively mobile and interchange. FB's overlap. Fluid going forward. Pressing from Long & Tadic in first instance and supported by rest.

Bench

Boruc Cork Yosh Ramirez Reed JWP Gallagher etc

Forster

Long - Pelle - Tadic

Wanyama steps back to make three when required. Long & Tadic effectively mobile and interchange. FB's overlap. Fluid going forward. Pressing from Long & Tadic in first instance and supported by rest.

Bench

Looks good, but I think Davis will play.. instead of Schneiderlin who appears to have lost the plot

Lots of coming and goings at the moment. Bit confused about the Long and Pelle combination (ie 2 up top) which suggests that we will play 3-5-2

I think more likely it'll stay the same system as Koeman's used throughout pre-season, with Long replacing Isgrove.

Forster

Clyne        Fonte   Gardos      Bertrand
                   (when fit)

Wanyama

Davis  Taider/Schneiderlin

Tadic                           Long/Rodriguez

Pelle

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'd say something along these lines will be apparent....

lineup_zpsb2e2444a.png

Schneiderlin's not gone yet!

I'd like to see how Koeman uses Ramirez as well, he plays deeper for Uruguay than he does for Saints and seems to be quite comfortable there. Looking forward to seeing more of JWP too - we really do have outstanding strength in depth in the midfield!

------------------------------------Forster/Boruc

Clyne/?/McCarthy----Gardos/Hooiveld----Fonte/Yoshida----Bertrand/Targett

-----------------------------------Wanyama/Cork

-----------------Morgan/Taider/Reed--------Ramirez/JWP/Davis

Rodriguez/Long------------------Pelle/Gallagher----------------Tadic/Isgrove

That team looks very good, only a CB (to replace Jos) and RB away from having good backups/competition for every position. We'd have better squad than when we finished 8th IMO...

Edited by JxgrSaint

Forster

Long - Pelle - Tadic

Bench

That looks pretty awesome

Forster

Long - Pelle - Tadic

Bench

We may need Cork instead of Morgan, and Gardos is still injured and needs time achieve match fitness.

Edited by eelpie

How about this on the old 4231:

.................Forster

.........Morgan - Wanyama

.....Tadic - Ramirez - Long

..................Pelle

Bench:

Boruc, Yoshida, Cork, Taider, JWP, Davis Gallagher*

*JRod hopefully back soon.

Need 3 more players:

*Cb:

*Right back

*wide player

Vlaar? Wollscheid? Byram? Townsend? March? Sinclair? Belhanda?

Long is a striker, not a winger. Be surprised if he would be happy playing out wide.

Koeman says he can play on the right or left...

How many times. He always drifts out wide. One of the reasons his goal record isn't so great, lots of time running the channels. He'd do well in the 433. Suarez and Sturridge are strikers but both played wider at times last season, as did Rodriguez. Koeman will expect him to be adaptable and wouldn't have signed him if he didn't think he had the attributes for it.

Exactly!

--------------------Forster-------------------------

Clyne-----Gardos----Fonte-----Vlaar-----Bertrand

--------------Tadic----Wanyama---JWP----------

---------------------Pelle----Long------------------

That's one option. Bertrand and Clyne as attacking wing backs. Looks good.

Also explains why Koeman seems to be after another attacking winger who like Tadic can deliver a cracking ball in and overlap with the wing backs. JWP could then mix it up with Big Vic depending how defence v attacking you needed to be.

Edited by SaintRobbie

Assuming no one else leaves.

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Gardos Bertrand

Wanyama Cork Schneiderlin

Davis

Long Ramirez

bench: Forster, pelle, Tadic, Yoshida, JWP, Targett, Reed

I know Forster won't have signed to go on the bench, but just think it's Boruc's place until he loses it. I don't want too many new faces in key positions from the start, so let them come in as they prove they can fit the team.

Boruc

Davis

Long Ramirez

I know Forster won't have signed to go on the bench, but just think it's Boruc's place until he loses it. I don't want too many new faces in key positions from the start, so let them come in as they prove they can fit the team.

Gardos is out injured for 2 weeks or so and Schneiderlin will not play.

--------------------Forster-------------------------

Clyne-----Gardos----Fonte-----Vlaar-----Bertrand

--------------Tadic----Wanyama---JWP----------

---------------------Pelle----Long------------------

That's one option. Bertrand and Clyne as attacking wing backs. Looks good.

Also explains why Koeman seems to be after another attacking winger who like Tadic can deliver a cracking ball in and overlap with the wing backs. JWP could then mix it up with Big Vic depending how defence v attacking you needed to be.

I personally think Wanyama is too defensive to play in front of three centre backs.

In a 433 he will sit in with the defence and allow the full backs to push on

Boruc

Davis

Long Ramirez

Five central midfielders in that team

I personally think Wanyama is too defensive to play in front of three centre backs.

In a 433 he will sit in with the defence and allow the full backs to push on

Good point. I did wonder about that too. I guess if you're playing x3 CBS you'd want JWP in the centre rather than Wanyama.

Forster goes straight in as first choice keeper. Koeman said something along the lines of 'Boruc wasn't pleased but hey ho, that's football'.

Bit harsh in my opinion but am looking forward to seeing how Forster does.

How about this on the old 4231:

.................Forster

.........Morgan - Wanyama

.....Tadic - Ramirez - Long

..................Pelle

Bench:

Boruc, Yoshida, Cork, Taider, JWP, Davis Gallagher*

*JRod hopefully back soon.

Love that!

However I think can't see Morgan being considered for some time, if at all - certainly not until he changes his stance.

So long as the understanding communication and the grasp of the system has been nailed down in training, it could be quite interesting as someone like Liverpool will play in an established way whereas with us pretty much having to put the whole thing back together with unseen players could make us the jokers in the pack................. A pipe dream I know, but it would be funny to perform straight out of the box and in doing so stick 2 fingers up at the cobblers that has gone on this summer.

Love that!

However I think can't see Morgan being considered for some time, if at all - certainly not until he changes his stance.

Does look good but I honestly can't see Morgan playing at all and I honestly believe at time Davis runs the midfield behind the strikers with an excellent brain. I would change Morgan for Taider and probably Ramirez for Davis, but having quality like Ramirez on the bench is a decent problem to have when we're being touted for relegation contenders by the pundits.

.................Forster

.........Taider - Wanyama

.....Tadic - Davis - Long

..................Pelle

Does look good but I honestly can't see Morgan playing at all and I honestly believe at time Davis runs the midfield behind the strikers with an excellent brain. I would change Morgan for Taider and probably Ramirez for Davis, but having quality like Ramirez on the bench is a decent problem to have when we're being touted for relegation contenders by the pundits.

.................Forster

.........Taider - Wanyama

.....Tadic - Davis - Long

..................Pelle

Yep, I'd have no qualms about Davis playing as I'm a huge fan. I just have a gut feeling that something is finally going to click into place for Gaston this season, provided he is played in the central free role. I would also put Taider in for Morgan as well.

Yep, I'd have no qualms about Davis playing as I'm a huge fan. I just have a gut feeling that something is finally going to click into place for Gaston this season, provided he is played in the central free role. I would also put Taider in for Morgan as well.

Yeah, either way it looks a decent team, and pretty exciting I reckon, can do damage this season but we need more than a strong starting 11 and think that is where the academy lads can step up when needed, big year for JWP, Isgrove and Reed.

Some of these team selections look exciting on paper and the number of different combination variations is indicative of the fact that we are pretty much there with a complete squad with alternative options in most positions. A bit of extra cover at CB and then it depends on whether Schneiderlin stays and buckles down or not on whether he needs to be replaced. But arguably there is already plenty of choice even if he does go. Cork is another doubt, but would certainly be useful if he stays too.

I think we can assume that Koeman will start with Pelle up front, although I haven't seen much pre-season from him. That will leave 5 to play behind / alongside which based on what I have seen will have Taider and Tadic providing the energy and technical ability, Wanyama crashing into players and protecting the back four and Ward Prowse / Davis / Isgrove / Gaston rotating for final two places. Look forward to seeing Long some on too.

Oddly I am quite glad for the change in manager and players - I think with time to gell we have more quality than last year.

I honestly have no idea what formation we're going to see, but I think the starting 11 (against Liverpool) are going to be;

Forster

Bertrand

Fonte

Yoshida

Clyne

Wanyama

Morgan

Tadic

Davis

Long

Pelle

Possibly some variation of 4-3-3??

F**k knows.

I guess those in bold are definite starters??? What about Ramirez and JWP? Morgan - well that's really up to him. The up roar about Cork seems a little misplaced, although it would be good to keep him. We certainly have some depth in midfield.

I guess those in bold are definite starters??? What about Ramirez and JWP? Morgan - well that's really up to him. The up roar about Cork seems a little misplaced, although it would be good to keep him. We certainly have some depth in midfield.

I keep forgetting about Ramirez!!

For Liverpool, I'd still go Davis over him or JWP though.

We may be stronger than last season in most places but not particularly in defence. We have lost 3, brought in 2 and brought through a 3rd.

At the beginning of last season, were peoples' opinion of Lovren any different from their opinions of Gardos? Ligue 1 is a lot better than Liga 1, and Lyon have had some success in the CL while Steaua never really do that well. They got 3 draws in the group stages last year. The year prior to Lovren coming, Lyon had got knocked out in the round of 16.