Would you BOYCOTT? Ways to get rid of Lowe and the board

Wes Tender

How would you boycott?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. How would you boycott?

• I won't boycott a game but would give Lowe a torrent of abuse for the whole game
    • I would boycott a whole game if the fans were in agreement
    • I would boycott the first half of a game if the fans were in agreement
    • I would boycott the 2nd half of a game if the fans were in agreement
    • No, I would not boycott or abuse people, regardless

No pain no gain.......Get a boycott organised...An empty St Marys would hurt Lowe big time.

is there not the danger that it would hurt the club rather than lowe? if only a few thousand turned up he would probably just be forced into selling another product of our youth academy to help balance the books.

I would go for a protest inside the stadium, Lowe is very stubborn and i can see a boycott making him even more determined to stay and 'fix' things. (and others on the board)

it would be interesting to know if any other club has tried this before

No pain no gain.......Get a boycott organised...An empty St Marys would hurt Lowe big time.

is there not the danger that it would hurt the club rather than lowe? if only a few thousand turned up he would probably just be forced into selling another product of our youth academy to help balance the books.

I would go for a protest inside the stadium, Lowe is very stubborn and i can see a boycott making him even more determined to stay and 'fix' things. (and others on the board)

it would be interesting to know if any other club has tried this before

Sounds good to me GO for it..

An organised boycott is the only way, and really is doable if everyone gets behind it.

How do you do it - not that hard.

Pick a TV game.

Give the day a name "the big boycott", "stay away for change" something (without Lowe's name in it). Branding it makes it easier to get it noticed in the local media. In fact, make it positive not negative - "Save our Saints" is a million times better than "Lowe out".

Enrol Lawrie, Mark Dennis, Benali, Merrington, Channon and assorted other local Saints legends and post them to pubs, clubs, church hall all over the city and the region to make communal events of watching the game on TV.

Hire Central Hall as a key venue and get Lawrie to host it.

The point is you make the boycott an event you have to make watching the game on TV a big communal event all fans can feel part of.

You have to make the boycott something to actively do rather than just telling people to not do something.

Instead of just saying "don't go, don't go" you have to tell people "go to this instead".

Save our Saints. Twenty Locations in the city/region. Saints celeb at every location. Small charge to go to either local charity/or to the running costs of the event.

Posters and banners for every other pub in city to run their own event.

The local media would be all over it. Trust me the Echo might be up the clubs arse now but they love an event and they'd print a colour poster on the day before in their centre pages. 100 letters from readers would guarantee it. Papers love a campaign.

Empty stadium for one game.

Lowe would have to resign the next day. He would, not least because Wilde and co would bottle it.

It can be done.

Sounds good to me GO for it..

An organised boycott is the only way, and really is doable if everyone gets behind it.

How do you do it - not that hard.

Pick a TV game.

Give the day a name "the big boycott", "stay away for change" something (without Lowe's name in it). Branding it makes it easier to get it noticed in the local media. In fact, make it positive not negative - "Save our Saints" is a million times better than "Lowe out".

Enrol Lawrie, Mark Dennis, Benali, Merrington, Channon and assorted other local Saints legends and post them to pubs, clubs, church hall all over the city and the region to make communal events of watching the game on TV.

Hire Central Hall as a key venue and get Lawrie to host it.

The point is you make the boycott an event you have to make watching the game on TV a big communal event all fans can feel part of.

You have to make the boycott something to actively do rather than just telling people to not do something.

Instead of just saying "don't go, don't go" you have to tell people "go to this instead".

Save our Saints. Twenty Locations in the city/region. Saints celeb at every location. Small charge to go to either local charity/or to the running costs of the event.

Posters and banners for every other pub in city to run their own event.

The local media would be all over it. Trust me the Echo might be up the clubs arse now but they love an event and they'd print a colour poster on the day before in their centre pages. 100 letters from readers would guarantee it. Papers love a campaign.

Empty stadium for one game.

Lowe would have to resign the next day. He would, not least because Wilde and co would bottle it.

It can be done.

The thing with the going to the game then turning your back suggestion is i know majority of people will actually turn back about 30 seconds later. An official boycott of the game is more of a message saying "we wont pay money while Lowe is here". The banks will get twitchy and possibly put pressure on the board to remove him. At the end of the day Lowe is trying to run the club as a business for the shareholders 1st, he is not the owner of the club, puts no money into the club etc.. he is just an employee of SLH. If the fans show unity and actually do boycott a game that will show the people at the club and the people over looking the finances that if he remains they will not get paid. Will the board/bank/staff etc.. show the same level of support back to Lowe after that boycott? Would they continue to stand by him while the money drips away? I very much doubt it. If Lowe had any decency he would of resigned the moment he decided to take down the fa cup picture and replace it with a train from Doncaster...But he has no decency, none what so ever. He is a sad little man who will forever leach the lifeblood from the club.

The thing with the going to the game then turning your back suggestion is i know majority of people will actually turn back about 30 seconds later. An official boycott of the game is more of a message saying "we wont pay money while Lowe is here". The banks will get twitchy and possibly put pressure on the board to remove him. At the end of the day Lowe is trying to run the club as a business for the shareholders 1st, he is not the owner of the club, puts no money into the club etc.. he is just an employee of SLH. If the fans show unity and actually do boycott a game that will show the people at the club and the people over looking the finances that if he remains they will not get paid. Will the board/bank/staff etc.. show the same level of support back to Lowe after that boycott? Would they continue to stand by him while the money drips away? I very much doubt it. If Lowe had any decency he would of resigned the moment he decided to take down the fa cup picture and replace it with a train from Doncaster...But he has no decency, none what so ever. He is a sad little man who will forever leach the lifeblood from the club.

The Idea of everyone leaving at half time in protest works for me, that way we don't hurt the club fianancially as everyone buys a ticket and goes to the game as normal, support the team for first half, then everyone leave at half time leaving a few banners

WHERE'S MY CHOICE - BOYCOTT THE WHOLE SEASON

10,000 season tickets at £400 each = £4,000,000. That's a lot of money compared to the value of the club. If it was possible to organise EVERYONE then you could raise enough to buy the club in a few years, but of course it's not.

Any protest at the stadium has to be matched with action elsewhere.

Funders - Norwich Union / Barclays. Do we know the names of the relevant Managers? Letters to them pointing out how bad Lowe is managing the club.

Suppliers - are they being paid ontime? If not perhaps they can start writing to the Echo about not being paid on time.

Shareholders - LC and others need to get together - how big is the anti Lowe shareholding block? How are they going to put more pressure on Lowe?

Shareholders - Lowe's supporters - who are they - how firm is their support? What would it take for them to withdraw it?

New Board / CEO - LC has to identify credable replacements

Investment - someone has to put a reasonable sum on the table.

The action needs to be coordinated to acheive not just Lowe out for good but a creditable strategy for the future.

I like the idea and CB Fry has raised some excellent points.

I just can't help thinking that it is never going to work.

How many regular contributors does this forum have who will view this thread? How many will agree with the idea? And how many of those who agree will actually do it?

If 50 people turn up then the club won't even notice. There needs to be a much more public campaign and like CB Fry says there needs to be local people related to the club involved. While I'm sure that Lawrie and Leon Crouch would take part if enough people were to take part, would the likes of Benali and Le Tissier want to risk their reputation with the club by taking part.

I think it is also extremely important that it is clear the protest is aimed at the board and not the whole team and management. Although most of us think Jan is a terrible manager if it seems he is the one being critisised it will have a terrible effect on confidence. As Lawrie said at the AGM, he "hates to critisise a footballing man". I'm sure the likes of Benali and Le Tissier would feel the same.

Any protest at the stadium has to be matched with action elsewhere.

Funders - Norwich Union / Barclays. Do we know the names of the relevant Managers? Letters to them pointing out how bad Lowe is managing the club.

The bank manager is Roger Fry Barclays in Reading !!

we are playing **** because we have **** players. We have **** players because we have no money. Boycotting improves things how exactly?

Firstly because supposedly Lowe is choosing the team/tactics. He tells Jan what he can and cant do. If the reason we are stuck on 4-5-1 is because of Lowe then by removing him means the manager can manage. Or the next manager can manage. Dont you find it slightly wierd that we have no money but yet can afford to employ jan and his 6 coaches, a whole host of loan players and the signings we have already made this year? On top of the getting £1m for Davies and having 3/4 high wage players out on loan? Make no mistake of it we are in financial **** but there is money being used and it is being used wrongly. A good manager can get good results from **** players. That is what the majority of managers do at this level. Not every team is fortunate to spend millions on players.

The reason I don't like the idea of boycotts is because I don't like to insult the lads who wear the Red and White. Sure, there are times when their spirits might be lagging and they might not give their all but by-and-large they are good honest lads who genuinely do try their hardest to play good football and win the game, and also do a lot off the pitch for the club and community. For the same reason that I don't boo them, I always give my support to them unreservedly.

So long as any boycott or mass-protest explicitly stated that we were not protesting about the players and/or coaching staff and that our anger was solely directed at the board room then I would be very happy to take part. But it would be important to me that the players did not feel we were taking it out on them, as that would be very cruel and frankly unsporting of us.

However, loud anti-lowe chants coming from the four sides of the ground would be awesome...

Firstly because supposedly Lowe is choosing the team/tactics. He tells Jan what he can and cant do. If the reason we are stuck on 4-5-1 is because of Lowe then by removing him means the manager can manage. Or the next manager can manage. Dont you find it slightly wierd that we have no money but yet can afford to employ jan and his 6 coaches, a whole host of loan players and the signings we have already made this year? On top of the getting £1m for Davies and having 3/4 high wage players out on loan? Make no mistake of it we are in financial **** but there is money being used and it is being used wrongly. A good manager can get good results from **** players. That is what the majority of managers do at this level. Not every team is fortunate to spend millions on players.

again, a boycott helps how exactly? All it means is we have less money and we employ even less quality players. Boycott all you want, 10,000 have voted with theoir feet already, but it won't help the team survive relegation.

Remove **** head coach, get in good manager to make **** players not quite as ****.

that reduced income will certainly help us get the very best. I can see what you are saying, but its results that will force Lowe's hand, lower attendances will just force the sale of Surman and Lallana and prevent us resiging Cork.

Edited by Chez

again, a boycott helps how exactly? All it means is we have less money and we employ even less quality players. Boycott all you want, 10,000 have voted with theoir feet already, but it won't help the team survive relegation.

Right now the crowd is not helping the team avoid relegation because the manager is not helping the players or fans. What is certain is if we continue as we are we will get relegated then will go bankrupt and then go into admin. Then in league one we will have a even poorer squad with a minus 10 or even 15 start meaning just staying in league 1 becomes difficult. If Lowe leaves the attendances will go back up. It wont be a fall house, nowhere near it. But it will be at least another 4k or so a game. So boycott will help the club to remove the one person who evidentily keeps making stupid mistakes. 2 years Lowe was not here. We got to the playoffs when the club was settled and then avoided relegation on the last day. We were set to go on from there. We have now gone back into the freefall, this time it will be much harder to avoid. We have 22 games left. We have to win 8 of those to just get back on 50-50 par. Can you see us winning 8 games with this set up? That is why things have to change.

What is certain is if we continue as we are we will get relegated then will go bankrupt and then go into admin.

Does relegation mean certain administration? I think failing to get Saga, Rasiak, Skacel and Thomas off the books is more or a prerequisite for administration.

Then in league one we will have a even poorer squad with a minus 10 or even 15 start meaning just staying in league 1 becomes difficult.
if we are relegated but not in adminstration then we won't be -10 or -15.

If Lowe leaves the attendances will go back up. It wont be a fall house, nowhere near it. But it will be at least another 4k or so a game.
like they did the last time we got rid of him? If we win every week then crowds will go up, if Lowe goes and we still keep losing the crowds won't come back.

We got to the playoffs when the club was settled and then avoided relegation on the last day. We were set to go on from there. We have now gone back into the freefall, this time it will be much harder to avoid.

What a load of cack. We got into the play offs because we spent a relative fortune on top quality players and had brilliant young players as well in Jones and Bale, certainly not because we were `settled'. We were nearly relegated the following season because we and to sell our best players and bought ****e.

We have 22 games left. We have to win 8 of those to just get back on 50-50 par. Can you see us winning 8 games with this set up? That is why things have to change.
No I can't, but I don't see a boycott helping.

a pitch invasion against united? in front of the world, after a certain time, say 30 mins there is a mass attempt at a pitch invasion - declaring you won't leave till Lowe leaves or something like that. It doesn't need 15,000 to work it only really needs about 2000 willing people, those unwilling dont do it dont have to.

a pitch invasion against united? in front of the world, after a certain time, say 30 mins there is a mass attempt at a pitch invasion - declaring you won't leave till Lowe leaves or something like that. It doesn't need 15,000 to work it only really needs about 2000 willing people, those unwilling dont do it dont have to.

I'd be up for that to be honest. Even if it is only 2000 fans, them rushing to the tunnel and chanting we want rupert out to the directors box would make it pretty clear.

Although if it was only that small an amount, RL would berate the "lunatic fringe" for putting the club in risk of a fine or points deduction....

Option number two. Would have said one (singing we want rupert out for a full 90 minutes should get the message across) but if we score then we're f*cked as we can't keep on singing it.

Yeah right - dream on - what's the likelihood of that happening - we haven't scored in yonks and rarely look likely to...!!!

A coordinated march to the ground along the three main roads into the city.

1. Bursledon/Bitterne Road

2. The Avenue

3. Mountbatten Way

Timed to arrive just before full time. Those who want to could still enter the ground and give the players a rousing cheer to let them know that we love them and it's not aimed at them personally. Those outside demonstrate around Ted's statue.

I am sure we could have enlist some high profile people to lead each group (Lawrie, Matt, Franny whoever), and the coverage would be 100% guaranteed as the effect on traffic would have to be covered both locally and nationally.

Thoughts?

i think the boycotting the second half is a good idea.manu would be the ideal game to do it but it wont happen.the impact would mean more as its a full house.to have a full stadium and then every saints fan leaves at half time would go a long way on the tv.

Man Utd is the best match for any demo.

The half time queues for the food will be so bad, it will look like a boycott anyway.

whatever happens there needs to be an agreed time which is published on here and the other forums.

I see the username Michael Wilde logged in the other day

i think the boycotting the second half is a good idea.manu would be the ideal game to do it but it wont happen.the impact would mean more as its a full house.to have a full stadium and then every saints fan leaves at half time would go a long way on the tv.

Agreed.

The game as a contest would be over anyhow,Man U will be out of site i suspect.

Having a full stadium one minute then Saints fans up sticks and leave would certainly have a significant visual effect to those sitting at home,and in the directors box.

Unfortunately i doubt it will happen,even if it did it would completely pass Lowe and Wilde by.

They are too thick skinned and up their collective backsides,anyhow perhaps we will be beating Man U comfortably by half time ;),i doubt many would leave if that was the scenario being played out.

I voted although my vote is more hypothetical as I dont get toi many home games in the 1st place. But I voted that I would boycott a whole game if the fans agreed on it.

Again hypothetically speaking, I would agree to boycott if it was organized and if it was not every game. I think the club still needs us no matter who is in charge so a re-occuring boycott of every other game or 1 game per month would send the clear message and still give the club a fighting chance in the mean time.

on boxing day, i am holding a duck shoot here in paulsgrove. should i invite the deadly duo? i am a bit worried though cos the local skates are not very good shots, lol.

he didn't turn up and anyway all the locals were out looking for tony adams

When it comes to your assessments of the team and the players, you certainly seem to know what you are talking about and I respect your views.

However, the comments above give me doubts as to your grasp of the more political aspects of the club.

As you say, 10,000 have voted with their feet already and deprived the club of the additional income that they would have brought. As things stand, this situation will only be exacerbated by the continuation of the bizarre experiment, but also Lowe's increasing disdain for the fans as he becomes ever more isolated and contemptuous of those against him, he will further alienate them and even fewer will attend.

We are in a vicious downward spiral. Granted that a turnaround would ensue following a string of good wins, but realistically the chances of this happening become less likely, especially as confidence diminishes amongst the players and we have to sell the best ones to keep afloat, thus weakening the squad even further.

The crux of the matter is that instead of the slow death of a thousand cuts with attendances decreasing week by week until we reach a figure whereby we can no longer keep afloat, we have the option of a short, sharp action that if supported well, would force Lowe to resign within a matter of days, either through pressure from his cronies who are propping him up, or through the banks.

Once he is gone we can start to turn things around with a unified club, better attendances and support, changes to the management and method of playing which would hopefully begin to bear fruit in the results.

When it comes to your assessments of the team and the players, you certainly seem to know what you are talking about and I respect your views.

However, the comments above give me doubts as to your grasp of the more political aspects of the club.

As you say, 10,000 have voted with their feet already and deprived the club of the additional income that they would have brought. As things stand, this situation will only be exacerbated by the continuation of the bizarre experiment, but also Lowe's increasing disdain for the fans as he becomes ever more isolated and contemptuous of those against him, he will further alienate them and even fewer will attend.

We are in a vicious downward spiral. Granted that a turnaround would ensue following a string of good wins, but realistically the chances of this happening become less likely, especially as confidence diminishes amongst the players and we have to sell the best ones to keep afloat, thus weakening the squad even further.

The crux of the matter is that instead of the slow death of a thousand cuts with attendances decreasing week by week until we reach a figure whereby we can no longer keep afloat, we have the option of a short, sharp action that if supported well, would force Lowe to resign within a matter of days, either through pressure from his cronies who are propping him up, or through the banks.

Once he is gone we can start to turn things around with a unified club, better attendances and support, changes to the management and method of playing which would hopefully begin to bear fruit in the results.

is this boycott to get rid of JP or Lowe?

ps. if fans want to boycott without hurting the club then we could just have a mass walk-out at half-time in a match.

The only problem with this action is -

We choose to do it against Cardiff, Cardiff sail into a 0-3 half time lead, we all walk out and Lowe's pr spin say the walk out was no protest just a reflection of the score!!!!

Boycott an entire game, Lowe is hurting this club much, much more than any boycott could, don't forget there is 9k (i've got 2) season ticket holders, so the club already has that money, the away fans are the same, so probably only 3-5k not payining, minimal expence to the club!

Lowe Out!

Note :- we need a fighting fund, i'd be more than happy to start work again with John and Jake (STHU) where people could send donations, if we had donations we could get banners, posters, leaflets etc made to advertise any up and coming protests/events! I realise we still recieve a ceratin amount of critisim for our last efforts but, we said we'd get a plane to circle the ground and we did, nothing like this had ever been done at a football ground before, ever! Also between our various contacts we recieved national exposure!

http://www.sthu.co.uk/fly_by.html

is this boycott to get rid of JP or Lowe?

The object of the boycott is to rid the club of Lowe primarily, as he is the most divisive element.

JP is a side issue. Half a season is time enough to assess the viability of Lowe's bizarre policy and conclude that it hasn't worked so far and is unlikely to work given even more time which will most likely dig us deeper into the mire.

The blame for JP's appointment and the resultant ensuing chaos lies squarely on Lowe's shoulders, but JP is clearly out of his depth and I don't personally see any benefit in retaining his services except as purely a youth coach, similar to George Prost.

The campaign must be seen as against the current board, not having its focus split by issues such as the manager, but essentially a new chairman and board would be likely to make changes to the team management IMO.

I've already mentioned a boycott one or twice in the last few seasons, due to the complete disenchantment most of us have had with SFC. Now it has probably never been required more. There is no argument with SFC, just the present Board, and the policy deciders especially.

If you are really serious about a boycott, you have to keep at them until Lowe and Co resign. As of this moment, he knows this will never happen. It's a complete pipe dream, and he is completely safe. But several empty stadiums, more importantly accompanied by an agreed statement from ordinary fans that suggests that they will return, en masse, when Rupert either resigns, or promises to go at the earliest opportunity - say within 60 days, will have a huge effect. And if he doesn't, then the boycotting begins again until he does.

If you really want Rupert out, this will work 100%. But you must be united in your approach and execution.

The options in the poll are a bit lacking in imagination. I could vote for a total boycott, but given that I haven't been to a game since being ****ed off with the way we played against Watford, how can I boycott? How would anyone know? Boycotts in themselves are totally pointless. What I would like to happen is to boycott actually going to a game, i.e. actually buying a ticket, but for all the boycotters to turn up outside the ground and protest vociferously with banners etc. No threats, no violence, just loads of noise and vocal abuse aimed at Wilde and Lowe, before and after a game.

The options in the poll are a bit lacking in imagination. I could vote for a total boycott, but given that I haven't been to a game since being ****ed off with the way we played against Watford, how can I boycott? How would anyone know? Boycotts in themselves are totally pointless. What I would like to happen is to boycott actually going to a game, i.e. actually buying a ticket, but for all the boycotters to turn up outside the ground and protest vociferously with banners etc. No threats, no violence, just loads of noise and vocal abuse aimed at Wilde and Lowe, before and after a game.

OK, an easy thing to organise would be an anti-Board chant, and getting the Northam going with it. I'm sure the rest of the ground would chime in. All [sadly] 9,000 or so of them.

Something like: TIME TO GO - RUPERT LOWE

Just repeat that phrase, at top volume, at every match, and that'll make some waves.

Boycot the Doncaster game on the 17th January. Actions speak louder than words and an empty stadium will speak volumes.

A half empty stadium wouldn't prove anything, we need EVERYONE to boycott to make Lowe's position untenable.

Under Lowe's chairmanship we are a sinking ship and unless we are to settle with League One next season with a minus ten point penalty something needs to be soon before it's too little too late. Luton Town are an example of a football club playing Championship football only two years ago, through mismanagement they will be dropping out of the football league come May, realistically we could follow suit unless something is done quick.

Now I'm sorry but I think this is just ridiculous. This game could prove to be one of the most important of the season so far. The kind of game that if we win we stay up, we lose we go down.

Surely the whole point of the boycott would to be to save Southampton football club? If we boycott this game, the players would almost certainly lose moral when they need it most- when the need a lot of backing to give us the chance to stay up.

Note :- we need a fighting fund, i'd be more than happy to start work again with John and Jake (STHU) where people could send donations, if we had donations we could get banners, posters, leaflets etc made to advertise any up and coming protests/events! I realise we still recieve a ceratin amount of critisim for our last efforts but, we said we'd get a plane to circle the ground and we did, nothing like this had ever been done at a football ground before, ever! Also between our various contacts we recieved national exposure!

http://www.sthu.co.uk/fly_by.html

Indeed. If there are 24 people who are prepared to boycott and instead donate the £25 to the flyby - job done.

....and it did get coverage too....

http://www.sthu.co.uk/times.html

http://www.sthu.co.uk/d_mail.html

http://www.sthu.co.uk/d_express.html

Not to mention numerous articles in the Echo, The Pink and a TV interview on Meridian. For a non telivised game, camera crews also were present to cover the event.

In itself an air protest doesn't solve problems, but it is a way of galvanising support and getting valuable media exposure.

The only problem with doing something for the United game, is that there is not enough time to lobby the media and make it as effective as possible.