Player Contracts

Saint Charlie

As we are in an Intl break, maybe a good time to assess where we are with various players. There are a few key ones/players of note with contracts up relatively soon, if anyone can think of any others then feel free to add. There are a few delicate situations here...

Nathaniel Clyne - Contract Expires: Summer 2016

Options: 1. Sign a new deal 2. Sell in summer 3. Get two more seasons out of him and then lose on a free

Likely Outcome: Personally I hope he signs a new deal but if he doesn't by mid next summer then it will be difficult to do anything apart from sell, as we surely wouldn't want to risk losing a £15m asset for free the summer after. Worth noting Clyne let his contract run down at Palace to join us. Playing wise, if he gets an England chance then he would do well to stay here, but as we know, heads get turned by CL football and Arsenal, United and Liverpool are all ropey at right back.

Jay Rodriguez - Contract Expires: Summer 2016

Options: 1. Sign a new deal 2. Sell in summer 3. Get two more seasons out of him and then lose on a free

Likely Outcome:IMO once he is back from his injury he will probably ask to join Spurs in the summer. Would be suprised and delighted if he signed a new deal here and we won't want to let him run his contract down as would need the sale money to replace him. His style is made for Poch, and Spurs don't have anyone like him.

Maya Yoshida - Contract Expires: Summer 2015

Options: 1. Sign him up 2. Sell in January 3. Lose for free in the summer

Likely Outcome: Tough one. Good player but probably 4th choice. Would happily keep him, but would he be happy with that? I can see him leaving on a free next summer, and Saints bringing either Stephens or Turnbull into the squad after their loan spells (which are going well).

Jack Cork - Contract Expires: Summer 2015

Likely Outcome: Absolute no brainer, and (without having all the facts) quite odd nothing has been done when he supposedly wants to stay. Koeman said it would be looked at in December, so would say its either option 1 or 2 that will happen.

Gaston Ramirez - Contract Expires: Summer 2016

Likely Outcome: IMO - we will look to sell in January and again in the summer, and will probably end up doing so for a knockdown price, a fraction of what we paid for him. Clearly not going to be offered a new deal here, so its damage limitation for us and trying to recoup as much as we can for him.

Good analysis. I am sure we will look to retain Cork, and probably will. Clyne, Rodriguez and Schneiderlin will sign new contracts if we qualify for Europe. If we don't they will be off and its hard to blame them.

Yoshida will want to stay and I think he has really stepped up this season (when asked) so no problems with him being given a new contract.

Still want Gaston to come good but accept limited game time will see him look elsewhere.

Yoshida will want to stay and I think he has really stepped up this season (when asked) so no problems with him being given a new contract.

I'm not so sure. He will also want to play and if he is 4th choice here (which he may be) then would he be happy with that? Im not sure if his Japan place would be under threat though as not sure if they have many other good CBs.

Also depends how highly Stephens and Turnbull are rated and whether we view them as first team possibilities or ultimately noy good enough.

Saints turned down a £6 million offer from Palace for Cork on the weekend before the window shut and have not offered a renewal since.

I can't see the player will agree to being sold in January and Saints will struggle to renew/extend now after all this time ( and with a Bosman beckoning) so a nailed on Bosman in the Summer one would have thought- and good luck (££££)to him.

I guess the future of Yoshida might depend on whether we are able to sign Toby permanently. He is a good 4th choice but equally we have the likes of Turnbull/Stephens/McCarthy coming through, and extending his contract might be viewed as an obstacle to their development.

Cork is a no-brainer as you say. Given the lack of loyalty displayed by a number of our key players over the summer, I find it amazing that his commitment has gone unrewarded. It's not just a question of rewarding loyalty, he is a very good footballer and appears happy to play a squad role.

J-Rod is a difficult one. It was widely reported that bids had come in for him from Spurs and that we'd offered him a new 5 year deal. Both would be strange moves considering the nature of his injury, and the Jeremy Wilson article last week did suggest that no club ever came in for him and likewise, he never agitated for a move away. I wonder whether the club has prepared a contract in anticipation of J-Rod proving his fitness and maybe the situation isn't quite as one-sided as we previously thought.

Clyne's contract should be a priority, especially given his England call-up and all the 'options' that will be opened up to him (thanks, Adam). Still concerned that the new board have only managed to tie down one senior player as our 'ambition' will be defined as much by who we can keep at the club as it is by the calibre of players that we can attract. Koeman seems to really rate him and Clyne has talked about the confidence he is playing with this season. Would be good to get this sorted while we are flying high in the table, as I can see the likes of Liverpool sniffing around him especially as they seem to be unwilling to offer Johnson a long-term deal. United could probably do with competition at RB too. Arsenal have just signed Debuchy and Chambers so I can't see them making a move for him.

Ramirez, I'm not particularly bothered about either way. Not rated by successive manager's but if he excels at Hull then things might change on that front. Doubt he will though and it is just about recouping what we can.

Saints turned down a £6 million offer from Palace for Cork on the weekend before the window shut and have not offered a renewal since.

I can't see the player will agree to being sold in January and Saints will struggle to renew/extend now after all this time ( and with a Bosman beckoning) so a nailed on Bosman in the Summer one would have thought- and good luck (££££)to him.

IIRC I think Cork's contract is set to be reviewed in December/January. With Morgan's long term future still up in the air, I'd very much like Cork to stay put. He'd be very difficult to replace cheaply.

With Jay Rod, Clyne and Cork there is also the homegrown element to add in. We have recently lost 4 key players who also happened to be "homegrown" and the prices for English players are so high that we are forced out the market to a certain extent, or have to pay very high fees like for Long and Forster.

Whilst homegrown status makes the likes of Clyne and Jay very appealing to the top sides who sometimes struggle with those quotas, they are also vital for us, and to help retain the British core to the squad.

At some point the conveyor belt from the academy will slow up, and we may have a couple of years without producing a PL ready player - so keeping those at the club already is very important.

If it was a sign of ambition and intent to keep Fonte, then to do similar with Jay or Clyne would be massive. Fonte would have one well to find a better club than Saints, so was in his best interests to ultimately stay. The others will have more options, for sure.

The figure that was quoted in a number of newspapers was £3 million and (given the short length of his outstanding contract) I reckon that would have been top whack then !

If he were to leave in January it would probably be around £1 million and in the summer £zero !

As we are in an Intl break, maybe a good time to assess where we are with various players. There are a few key ones/players of note with contracts up relatively soon, if anyone can think of any others then feel free to add. There are a few delicate situations here...

Likely Outcome: Personally I hope he signs a new deal but if he doesn't by mid next summer then it will be difficult to do anything apart from sell, as we surely wouldn't want to risk losing a £15m asset for free the summer after. Worth noting Clyne let his contract run down at Palace to join us. Playing wise, if he gets an England chance then he would do well to stay here, but as we know, heads get turned by CL football and Arsenal, United and Liverpool are all ropey at right back.

Likely Outcome:IMO once he is back from his injury he will probably ask to join Spurs in the summer. Would be suprised and delighted if he signed a new deal here and we won't want to let him run his contract down as would need the sale money to replace him. His style is made for Poch, and Spurs don't have anyone like him.

Likely Outcome: Tough one. Good player but probably 4th choice. Would happily keep him, but would he be happy with that? I can see him leaving on a free next summer, and Saints bringing either Stephens or Turnbull into the squad after their loan spells (which are going well).

Likely Outcome: Absolute no brainer, and (without having all the facts) quite odd nothing has been done when he supposedly wants to stay. Koeman said it would be looked at in December, so would say its either option 1 or 2 that will happen.

Likely Outcome: IMO - we will look to sell in January and again in the summer, and will probably end up doing so for a knockdown price, a fraction of what we paid for him. Clearly not going to be offered a new deal here, so its damage limitation for us and trying to recoup as much as we can for him.

Surely you have something other than football fantasy on your mind? How long did this take you? Bet you could have built a shed in half the time ;-)

What makes you think that?

Just reality I guess. Unlikely that every intake of Academy players is going to produce someone capable of playing PL football, which is a very high standard obviously.

The U18s team this season is struggling a lot, doesn't mean there are no individuals who may be PL quality in future, but with Shaw, JWP, Chambers, AOC, Walcott etc we knew of them way before they hit the first team, some were hyped from age 14.

Sims aside, I don't see anyone that you would bet a fair bit on making the grade - which obviously doesnt mean there arent any but its not realistic to think we are always going to churn out players - especially given the standard needed to get into our first XI has risen.

Just reality I guess. Unlikely that every intake of Academy players is going to produce someone capable of playing PL football, which is a very high standard obviously.

The U18s team this season is struggling a lot, doesn't mean there are no individuals who may be PL quality in future, but with Shaw, JWP, Chambers, AOC, Walcott etc we knew of them way before they hit the first team, some were hyped from age 14.

Sims aside, I don't see anyone that you would bet a fair bit on making the grade - which obviously doesnt mean there arent any but its not realistic to think we are always going to churn out players - especially given the standard needed to get into our first XI has risen.

That's a fair argument, but with the rise of the club stature in the last several years and the constantly improving reputation of the Youth Academy, we should be able to step up our recruitment effort. I think it's safe to assume that the current generation in the U18's is affected (at least partially) by the unfavorable situation in which the club was several years ago.

Just another way to look at it...

That's a fair argument, but with the rise of the club stature in the last several years and the constantly improving reputation of the Youth Academy, we should be able to step up our recruitment effort. I think it's safe to assume that the current generation in the U18's is affected (at least partially) by the unfavorable situation in which the club was several years ago.

Just another way to look at it...

Completely fair view, and certainly we have a better chance than most due to facilities, coaching quality and the importance the club places on the homegrown talent.

Just adds an extra spice to some of these players situations I guess. Also worth considering that Kelvin Davis also counts as homegrown and would have to be replaced soon too. We aren't close to having too few homegrown players, but if we let a few leave in addition to those last summer, then we certainly start to have a foreign majority in the squad.

The figure that was quoted in a number of newspapers was £3 million and (given the short length of his outstanding contract) I reckon that would have been top whack then !

If he were to leave in January it would probably be around £1 million and in the summer £zero !

Nope....it was £6 mill.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/crystal-palace-transfer-news-jack-4142053

• 3 weeks later...
Gaston is a sad case, he is ruining his own career, a contact in Hull says he is nowhere near their team. Can you think of other cases of great talent wasted?

ah, but he is under contract for another 2 seasons :scared:....on what he described as an unbelievable salary (when signed). He's young enough to still make a career back in Italy and go back as a millionaire.

Gaston is a sad case, he is ruining his own career, a contact in Hull says he is nowhere near their team. Can you think of other cases of great talent wasted?

But surely the Club must take some responsibility for Gaston's situation, it is not in their interest that he should languish in a backwater like Hull and become virtually worthless. Les should find him a club either back in South America or Italy that will take him on loan and give him game time. You can't just loan players out and ignore what happens to them as if it is none of our business. We have a moral and financial responsibility for all the players we sign whilst they are on our books and only a fool would allow their assets to rot away. We are a caring club are we not so let's start caring about this guy until he is happily re-settled and playing regularly.

Some more Cork chat in paper yesterday saying Swansea following his contract situation.

Arsenal starting talks with Walcott who has the same time as JR and Clyne left on his.

Hopefully we are trying to secure them.

Also read that one of the reasons that Cork has not yet been offered a contract is that we are trying to get Jordy Classie

But surely the Club must take some responsibility for Gaston's situation, it is not in their interest that he should languish in a backwater like Hull and become virtually worthless. Les should find him a club either back in South America or Italy that will take him on loan and give him game time. You can't just loan players out and ignore what happens to them as if it is none of our business. We have a moral and financial responsibility for all the players we sign whilst they are on our books and only a fool would allow their assets to rot away. We are a caring club are we not so let's start caring about this guy until he is happily re-settled and playing regularly.

If Hull is such a lowly backwater, surely he should be good enough to force his way into their side? If he was judged to be too far down the pecking order at Saints, it seemed liked a fairly reasonable idea to loan him to a club where in theory he should have a better chance of playing. I guess if it doesn't work out at Hull, a loan or permanent move abroad will be the only way to go, but will probably have to be someone who will cover his wages (unless he agrees to take pay cut).

• 2 weeks later...

Some chat in the press today about us offering Morgan a new deal, although hard to see him signing one surely?

Still nothing on Cork, Jay or Clyne whose situation is rarely acknowledged.

Villa set to lose Delph on a free this summer when he is worth probably 10m in todays market. Just shows the importance of not letting players get into the final year of their contracts as there is little incentive for them to sign a new one. Especially players who qualify as 'homegrown'.

Also read that one of the reasons that Cork has not yet been offered a contract is that we are trying to get Jordy Classie

From the minimal time spent watching Classie he looks to play like Aaron Ramsay. Small in stature but a terrier clipping at heels to win the ball back and able to push forward. He won't be a replacement for Morgan or Victor, he'll be a replacement for Davis, JWP or Cork, and given Davis signed a new deal and JWP is academy it's Cork on the way out unless he's fine with very very limited game time. I can't see us having both Classie and Cork next season.

Some chat in the press today about us offering Morgan a new deal, although hard to see him signing one surely?

Still nothing on Cork, Jay or Clyne whose situation is rarely acknowledged.

Villa set to lose Delph on a free this summer when he is worth probably 10m in todays market. Just shows the importance of not letting players get into the final year of their contracts as there is little incentive for them to sign a new one. Especially players who qualify as 'homegrown'.

If he does he cannot expect a transfer in the summer and i'll be p*ssed if he tries to get one. If he doesn't then I won't begrudge him a move.

Spurs do realise they can't afford our players don't they? Plus Morgan made it clear that he want's a big club in the CL so that is spurs right out...........

looking at those "rejects " that Spuds have already spent £30 million on .......would a mere £25 m. seem be giving MS away?

Might be able to get a bit more but to put it in perspective, Chelsea signed Matic for £21m and Barca signed Mascherano for £24m. It's all hypothetical though, it all depends how desperate a team is. £60m for Di Maria? £42.5m for Ozil? Hypothetically, if we qualified for CL I couldn't see him leaving for less than £35m and there'd probably be offers that high too.

Might be able to get a bit more but to put it in perspective, Chelsea signed Matic for £21m and Barca signed Mascherano for £24m. It's all hypothetical though, it all depends how desperate a team is. £60m for Di Maria? £42.5m for Ozil? Hypothetically, if we qualified for CL I couldn't see him leaving for less than £35m and there'd probably be offers that high too.

Always hard to compare but I think Matic had buy out clause. In our favour - our financial position, his experience in English football already, think getting towards 300 appearances for us - nearly everyone of them good. He would be a risk free performer who would prove spurs, man utd, arsenal, Liverpool.

Morgan has got to be worth more than any other the players we sold in the summer. £25million is the minimum I'd say.

As I've said on another thread, L'Equipe says we knocked back an offer of 34 million € for him in August but I really don't know how factual that actually is.

34 million € is about 28 million £ I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Some press talk of Targett signing a 5 year deal but very quiet on Cork.

Would just seem that we aren't overly fussed about keeping him. Shame, but if they valued him that highly then surely it would have been done by now.

Would also expect Maya to leave on a free this summer.

Agree with that. He is at an age where he will need to be playing every week. Also, the two boys out on loan at Swindon will be pushing for inclusion if they're good enough.

Some press talk of Targett signing a 5 year deal but very quiet on Cork.

Would just seem that we aren't overly fussed about keeping him. Shame, but if they valued him that highly then surely it would have been done by now.

Don't forget his contract was signed when in the Championship, and so is very low compared to what it is likely he will want. I think that is why he's not being given a new contract at the moment.

Clyne being linked with United, apparently they want him as part of a £150m splurge in the summer. He is mentioned as a target in at least 3 different reports.

Pretty much nailed on he won't be signing a contract with us you would think. Our 40k a week would be peanuts compared to what he could get elsewhere now he is England's best right back and still only 23. His agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didnt wait to at least see if something materialised.

IMO was a no brainer to sign him up before the end of last season but sure the board know best.

Still nothing re Cork too. Writing is on the wall there.

From an English majority in the squad it could look quite different next season perhaps, if Cork, Jay and Clyne were all to go in the summer.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I can see another load of sales in the summer if we aren't careful. May be difficult for lightning to strike twice. I can see us losing Morgan, Clyne, Jay rod, Alderweireld (not our player but you see my point.) possibly Cork as well.

I don't think there is any doubt about it our best players will be stripped by the bigger clubs again this summer even if we get European football. Hopefully the black box will do it's thing to get in good replacements. Morgan and Victor will both be gone, Clyne will go, J-rod to (though I'm that bothered TBH), Tadic I can see going Lovern style and Toby will go back to his parent club (though we will get 1.2 million for them re-arranging on our option to buy).Given that it would be mad not to give Cork a new contract.

I can see another load of sales in the summer if we aren't careful. May be difficult for lightning to strike twice. I can see us losing Morgan, Clyne, Jay rod, Alderweireld (not our player but you see my point.) possibly Cork as well.

agree with that

morgan is obviously going, toby is keeping his options wide open, Clyne will have all sorts after him (united probably) and Jrod STILL has not signed that new contract offered in the summer...

shouldn't Artur Boruc be on that list, too?

Didnt include because its 100% obvious he won't be staying.

Would say player deals haven't been the strength of this new board. Only Fonte and Davis from the first team have signed new ones in almost a year.

Good to see Charlie back with his upbeat board predictions. Death, taxes and Charlie hating the board, isn't it? All this cos they made you and your chum(p) Blackmore look a bit stupid last Summer.

Cork won't get a new contract, I wonder if the board have more of a worry about his ankle than previously thought, seems to be recurring.

Morgan will be off but that's obvious.

Clyne will only go for massive money, and it's easy to replace a RB for 20 odd million.

I don't think Jay Rod will ever come back the same - I am of the opinion that we shouldn't risk it, should take £20m if offered and invest it well.

Good to see Charlie back with his upbeat board predictions. Death, taxes and Charlie hating the board, isn't it? All this cos they made you and your chum(p) Blackmore look a bit stupid last Summer.

Cork won't get a new contract, I wonder if the board have more of a worry about his ankle than previously thought, seems to be recurring.

Morgan will be off but that's obvious.

Clyne will only go for massive money, and it's easy to replace a RB for 20 odd million.

I don't think Jay Rod will ever come back the same - I am of the opinion that we shouldn't risk it, should take £20m if offered and invest it well.

So basically you agree with me then Clyne won't sign a new deal and will go?