General Election 2015

trousers

Be scared , be very scared if the SNP hold the balance if power .

Sturgeon comes across as a divisive person . . That's because she is . She has divided Scotland and the islands .this is not to similar to the north / south divide down south .

Oh the labour leader up here Jim Murphy has less credibility that his English counter part ed millipede

And it seems to have gone totally over your head that there is probably an equal number of voters who loathe Labour and the damage they have done to the country historically.

Ed isn't just a muppet, a description that infers a sort of goofy likeability. He is a political lightweight, leaning far enough over to the left that if he got to be PM with the support of the SNP, the repercussions for this country would be seismic.

Just because the Conservative leader says it, doesn't make it true. I think you'll find there are lots of people who rely on evidence-based facts also; you know, the ones who remember a global recession and don't whittle the debate down to an old line that completely ignores what actually happened.

Just because the Conservative leader says it, doesn't make it true. I think you'll find there are lots of people who rely on evidence-based facts also; you know, the ones who remember a global recession and don't whittle the debate down to an old line that completely ignores what actually happened.

We all know there was a global recession which was at the root of all the ills, but who is responsible for the UK reportedly, independent of political parties and media, being ahead of most other countries towards getting back on track: or has the UK just had a lucky break on the roulette table?

Whether it would or wouldn't is irrelevant. The majority of Scots have voted against it because they don't want it, and the underhand attempts by Salmond and Sturgeon to bypass the wishes of their own electorate are shabby and dishonest.

Honest people might consider themselves bound by the outcome of the referendum. Getting 45% in a straightforward yes/no referendum is like coming second in the cup final.

Straightforward?

I've seen two referendums under this Parliament. Both were conducted duplicitously, and in the case of Scotland, huge new promises of further powers at the last minute. The ASA needs the remit to cover referendums; they don't at present and it results in extremely nasty tactics from the people that are looking to maintain the status quo.

no-to-av.jpeg

What are you going on about? It was me who just said it as my opinion.

As you say, there are people who rely on evidence-based facts, you know, the ones who remember the Winter of Discontent, Labour having to go cap in hand to the IMF to beg them to bail us out as the sick man of Europe, Healey saying that he would squeeze the rich until the pips squeaked, the Unions dictating over beer and sandwiches in Number 10 how their lapdog government should act on their behalf, Red Robbo ruining our car industry, the inefficiency of the nationalised industries, the three day week, Brown's stealth taxes, etc.

Here's another way the Tories are considering to find the additional £12bn of cuts

http://www.michaelmeacher.info/weblog/2015/04/another-hit-for-low-paid-workers-one-of-the-hidden-benefit-cuts-making-up-osbornes-12bn-now-revealed/

Heaven help you if you've been out of work so have decided to start up your own business by becoming self-employed.

Here's another way the Tories are considering to find the additional £12bn of cuts

http://www.michaelmeacher.info/weblog/2015/04/another-hit-for-low-paid-workers-one-of-the-hidden-benefit-cuts-making-up-osbornes-12bn-now-revealed/

Heaven help you if you've been out of work so have decided to start up your own business by becoming self-employed.

Oh lookie lookie. Lefty Labour insignificant has-been politician Michael Meacher responds to a communication from somebody who read an article he wrote. He says "that proposed cuts to Universal Credit when self-employed claimants miss their monthly targets will likely be part of the hidden benefit cuts not yet announced. I am therefore setting out what she, and I, believe is likely to happen",

For the simple-minded, I suggest that his agenda might just feasibly be a little biased and have also highlighted the bits that are suggestive that the basis of his article is largely fictitious speculation.

As you say, there are people who rely on evidence-based facts, you know, the ones who remember the Winter of Discontent, Labour having to go cap in hand to the IMF to beg them to bail us out as the sick man of Europe, Healey saying that he would squeeze the rich until the pips squeaked, the Unions dictating over beer and sandwiches in Number 10 how their lapdog government should act on their behalf, Red Robbo ruining our car industry, the inefficiency of the nationalised industries, the three day week, Brown's stealth taxes, etc.

You do realise much of that was 40+ years ago, right? Times have very much changed. Yet, still so angry...let it go mate.

There's no question that decisions taken by Denis Healey is the hot topic on the doorstep in 2015. Also it's a disgrace they didn't spend a little longer discussing dead union leaders from the 1970s during the TV debate last night. Typical whitewash cover up censorship from pinko commie media lefties.

Same can be said about Thatcher...30 years since the mines closed.

Watch out the fact police will be all over you, especially when some wag points out that more mines were closed under the previous to her Labour administrations, she is just notable as the PM who saw the job finished with her at the helm.

You do realise much of that was 40+ years ago, right? Times have very much changed. Yet, still so angry...let it go mate.

Of course I realise the timescale, I lived through it. But equally the voters that are referred to by VFTT as disliking the Tories are comprised of many whose memories reach back that far too. Labour might have tried to distance themselves from that old Labour party by attempting to rebrand themselves as New improved washes whiter Labour and in many ways Blair was accused by traditional Labour voters of taking them too close to the centre as a result. An alliance between Labour under Red Ed and the SNP will see a leftwards lurch back in time.

At least the benefit of having lived through that many Governments is that one has the benefit of historical experience that gives a broader perspective that anybody under 30 does not possess in the same way. Politics might have evolved much in recent times, but the basic doctrinal instincts of the main parties is still largely the same

Labour were probably responsible for Iceland's bankruptcy too eh? Seriously though, as a labourite...And probably anyone not indoctrinated in this nonsense spewed for the past five years, the highlight of last night was when the arch-right winger Nigel Farage shot down Cameron and Clegg when they said that they'd inherited the mess "caused by labour" and were on the course of recovery. When kindly, he pointed out that the coalition has borrowed more in 5 years and the national debt is higher than it ever was under Labour and that's a uber right-winger saying that. But carry on believing that Labour is responsible for all the nation's woes.

Labour were probably responsible for Iceland's bankruptcy too eh? Seriously though, as a labourite...And probably anyone not indoctrinated in this nonsense spewed for the past five years, the highlight of last night was when the arch-right winger Nigel Farage shot down Cameron and Clegg when they said that they'd inherited the mess "caused by labour" and were on the course of recovery. When kindly, he pointed out that the coalition has borrowed more in 5 years and the national debt is higher than it ever was under Labour and that's a uber right-winger saying that. But carry on believing that Labour is responsible for all the nation's woes.

Too right. And, you know, I do wonder what would have happened if the last Labour government hadn't bailed out the mess caused by the banks. Remember, the Tories backed 'light touch regulation' and that regulation was more swingeing than anything employed by the previous Tory government.

I wonder how many on here would have gone squinnying if the banks HAD been allowed to fail, taking everyone's money with them.

Of course I realise the timescale, I lived through it. But equally the voters that are referred to by VFTT as disliking the Tories are comprised of many whose memories reach back that far too. Labour might have tried to distance themselves from that old Labour party by attempting to rebrand themselves as New improved washes whiter Labour and in many ways Blair was accused by traditional Labour voters of taking them too close to the centre as a result. An alliance between Labour under Red Ed and the SNP will see a leftwards lurch back in time.

At least the benefit of having lived through that many Governments is that one has the benefit of historical experience that gives a broader perspective that anybody under 30 does not possess in the same way. Politics might have evolved much in recent times, but the basic doctrinal instincts of the main parties is still largely the same

The 'benefit' of being older does not make you wiser, Lord T, as your I-am-a-Man-of-History posts demonstrate. You leave the impression that having 'historical experience' leads by some kind of iron law to a decay into some sort of Ukipper version of Colonel Blimp - and that would be truly frightening if it were true. Thankfully it it's nonsense - you can be saved.

Oh, and Labour/SNP is coming. Run and hide.

The crash wasn't their fault but their utter failure to prepare even slightly for that possibility was.

Too right. And, you know, I do wonder what would have happened if the last Labour government hadn't bailed out the mess caused by the banks. Remember, the Tories backed 'light touch regulation' and that regulation was more swingeing than anything employed by the previous Tory government.

I wonder how many on here would have gone squinnying if the banks HAD been allowed to fail, taking everyone's money with them.

Let's not deal in hypotheticals, it's a poor argument.

Gotta love the joke though: "What's Nigel Farage's least favourite pop?.....foreignade"

I don't know though, it seems pointless to argue with right-wingers (some anyway, since aside from the god-awful comment about the aids patient, Farage, I think did a reasonable job of stating out what everyone thinks of the nonsense spoken by Cameron and Clegg). It'll all be labour's fault no matter what but then they do forget the state the country was in in 1997 and just WHY Labour walked in with a landslide of such epic proportions it took them over a decade to come in through the back door through coalition with a bunch of toads like the Libs.

The crash wasn't their fault but their utter failure to prepare even slightly for that possibility was.

You mean like tighter regulation of the banks when the Tories campaigned against it? I remember it very well though, people were saying "let's get the tories in, they'll strong arm the banks"....nahhh they won't, they fund them; in fact they're generally great mates! it's like asking Fred West to come sort out Jimmy Saville.

Edited by Hockey_saint

Complete and utter nonsense.

Firstly, where does this poll come from , other polls have milliband winning, some have Farage winning , some Cameron , and the majority Sturgeon . It doesn't really matter what a uk wide poll says as the snp are only standing in Scotland . It doesn't really matter that 20% of the people thought Nigel performed worst , unless any of those 20% were kippers or thinking of becoming so . The leaders will have targeted spcefic types of voter to appeal to, rather than a balanced sample of uk voters .A national poll is a complete red herring . How did Nigel poll with ex Tories , Milliband with floating voters and how did Cleggy poll in the south west and in the constituencies where their cabinet members are standing .

These debates are totally over hyped , Cleggy was the " winner" of the last election and ended up with less mp's than the pervious parliament .

As linked in the original post - but conveniently edited out of your reply, the poll is from comres who are very reputable.

But you have an interesting point on the regionalisation, a poll I'd like to see. Though I suggest that this debate will not be that important in the long run - but it isn't interesting that Clegg outperformed his party and also scored very low on 'worst performer' as it suggests the vitriol against him has subsided.

Earlier someone asked about what cuts were made to in-work disability benefits? according to this, so far only 30% of those who are changing over from Disability Living Allowance to this new Personal Independence Plan are passing this new ATOS test...which, come on, is atrocious.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/02/tories-not-listening-about-impact-of-welfare-cuts

Earlier someone asked about what cuts were made to in-work disability benefits? according to this, so far only 30% of those who are changing over from Disability Living Allowance to this new Personal Independence Plan are passing this new ATOS test...which, come on, is atrocious.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/02/tories-not-listening-about-impact-of-welfare-cuts

Only atrocious if genuine. Saying your back hurts and being signed off etc. hate the demonising of those on benefits but that is not to say there are plenty who know how to fill in the forms to get their allowance.

The difference is that labour has got more moderate, whereas the tories are now actually more right wing

The Tories are more right-wing than under Thatcher? You're having a laugh. Regrettably the political landscape currently is pretty grey and dull with no big beasts in the political jungle. Labour got moderate under Blair, or else they would have been unelectable, but having chosen the wrong Milliband means that they have lurched leftwards, especially if they are forced to govern propped up by the SNP.

The Tories are more right-wing than under Thatcher? You're having a laugh. Regrettably the political landscape currently is pretty grey and dull with no big beasts in the political jungle. Labour got moderate under Blair, or else they would have been unelectable, but having chosen the wrong Milliband means that they have lurched leftwards, especially if they are forced to govern propped up by the SNP.

Obviously, first Whelk, yes, you are right, there are always going to be people trying to play the system and the correlation that was eyed by the politicians that a large percentage on in-work disability benefits actually out of work didn't help this. Although shutting down things like RE:mploy and the ILF didn't help this at all.

But Wes Tender, yes, there are things David Cameron's party are currently attempting that Thatcher would never dare do.....like the scrapping of said ILF for example (which was set up because of her drive for care in the community and removing severely disabled people from care homes and back into main stream society...which, ultimately was a great idea....but it needs to be funded).

Ed is more to the left than Blair but they are still way more moderate than in the 1970s. If you fail to see that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This government is a bandit government. Anyone remember Andy Coulson? Jeremy Hunt's role in the BSkyB deal? The balkanisation and demonisation of the NHS? Look at how much Cameron tried to pull Miliband over Mids Staffs. Classic exception that proves the rule stuff.

If you want a government that gives stuff away to private industry, mostly foreign corporate interests, I don't really think you can get better than the Conservatives. No-one shifts public wealth into private hands with quite so much efficiency, whether it's your utilities, transport, infrastructure, your employment rights or in the case of these workfare programs, someone's time and someone else's overtime.

The 'benefit' of being older does not make you wiser, Lord T, as your I-am-a-Man-of-History posts demonstrate. You leave the impression that having 'historical experience' leads by some kind of iron law to a decay into some sort of Ukipper version of Colonel Blimp - and that would be truly frightening if it were true. Thankfully it it's nonsense - you can be saved.

Oh, and Labour/SNP is coming. Run and hide.

Did I claim that being older made me wiser, Verbal D? No, I thought not. But what the experience of living through the various historical political landscapes does give, is some perspective gained from having seen it all before. My own perspective is that it has left me cynical of the promises that have been made by both of the main parties over the years and then subsequently broken.

You can jump to any conclusions you like as to the impression I leave with you, especially if it helps you to feel superior.

There were accusations on Question Time that Cameron went easy on the SNP because it was claimed that it would benefit the Tories to make the prospect of them governing with Labour scary enough to the electorate to frighten them against voting for them. Personally, I almost welcome the prospect of that scenario, as it would bring into sharp focus the hypocrisy of the West Lothian question if the SNP voted with Labour on English matters which would otherwise be voted down by the other parties.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This government is a bandit government. Anyone remember Andy Coulson? Jeremy Hunt's role in the BSkyB deal? The balkanisation and demonisation of the NHS? Look at how much Cameron tried to pull Miliband over Mids Staffs. Classic exception that proves the rule stuff.

If you want a government that gives stuff away to private industry, mostly foreign corporate interests, I don't really think you can get better than the Conservatives. No-one shifts public wealth into private hands with quite so much efficiency, whether it's your utilities, transport, infrastructure, your employment rights or in the case of these workfare programs, someone's time and someone else's overtime.

While I agree with your sentiments, it should be added in the cause of balance that "new labour" did more damage to the uk with blairs wars than any tory government could possibly have done via taxes. I'm not saying the tories wouldn't have done the same, although one of the only things I admired thatcher for was her complete snubbing of reagan over grenada.

Ed is more to the left than Blair but they are still way more moderate than in the 1970s. If you fail to see that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Of course they are currently more moderate than Labour in the 70's, with the likes of Benn and Foot around. I made the comparison against Blair, didn't I? Whether Milliband actually proves to be capable of maintaining the sort of more moderate policies that Blair did remains to be seen if he becomes PM propped up by the SNP, who are hardly models of centrist policy moderation themselves.

While I agree with your sentiments, it should be added in the cause of balance that "new labour" did more damage to the uk with blairs wars than any tory government could possibly have done via taxes. I'm not saying the tories wouldn't have done the same, although one of the only things I admired thatcher for was her complete snubbing of reagan over grenada.
i always thought blair was thatchers natural successor and he carried on her policy's keeping the city and big business happy and now lining his pockets from his friends.

Just imagine what the conservatives could have been if they weren't held back by the lib dems? Their promised spending cuts for the next parliament give you a clue.

The 2010 intake in particular are zealous small state thatcherites that would go places she never dared

Of course they are currently more moderate than Labour in the 70's, with the likes of Benn and Foot around. I made the comparison against Blair, didn't I?

So why did you bring up all that nonsense about the winter of discontent, Healey, Red Robbo etc?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

I know what Farage said about the HIV patients caused outrage but unfortunately it is an ugly truth, you can't blame people for coming here to get treatment, I'd do exactly the same, but unfortunately there is a finite amount of money to be spent. If it had been half of cancer diagnosis had come from Americans coming over here to seek treatment as they couldn't afford it back home people wouldn't have kicked up a stink, it's because HIV has been associated in the past as a 3rd world problem, then people think it is down to race, when what he is saying is we just can't afford to treat the whole world on our NHS, he's right people should have health insurance before coming here and not treated if not, every other country on the planet does this. We're very lucky here that health care is free, but it should be for British nationals only, not for anyone who can get here. We all have to get insureance before we go abroad.

I know what Farage said about the HIV patients caused outrage but unfortunately it is an ugly truth, you can't blame people for coming here to get treatment, I'd do exactly the same, but unfortunately there is a finite amount of money to be spent. If it had been half of cancer diagnosis had come from Americans coming over here to seek treatment as they couldn't afford it back home people wouldn't have kicked up a stink, it's because HIV has been associated in the past as a 3rd world problem, then people think it is down to race, when what he is saying is we just can't afford to treat the whole world on our NHS, he's right people should have health insurance before coming here and not treated if not, every other country on the planet does this. We're very lucky here that health care is free, but it should be for British nationals only, not for anyone who can get here. We all have to get insureance before we go abroad.
its only the ugly truth if you believe the whoppers he comes out with and most of europe if you go for treatment you just need your enic card.farage should work for burger king with all the whoppers he produces, but at least he plays to his target market well.

its only the ugly truth if you believe the whoppers he comes out with and most of europe if you go for treatment you just need your enic card.farage should work for burger king with all the whoppers he produces, but at least he plays to his target market well.

More often than not, even with an EHIC card, you still have to pay for treatment.

As linked in the original post - but conveniently edited out of your reply, the poll is from comres who are very reputable.

But you have an interesting point on the regionalisation, a poll I'd like to see. Though I suggest that this debate will not be that important in the long run - but it isn't interesting that Clegg outperformed his party and also scored very low on 'worst performer' as it suggests the vitriol against him has subsided.

Just looked up the said poll , and they asked two questions " who performed worst" , but also "who performed best".

As you posted Nigel was voted by 22% as having performed worst. I wonder why you didn't post the " who performed best" result. ? Could it be because Nigel won that with 24% , as opposed to cleggys 10% .

I'm just taking him at face value, as you have to with all politicians, I wouldn't have a clue how to get access to all the facts and figures that he and other politicians were spouting, you obviously do as you know he was spouting 'whoppers', are you able to point me in the direction where you got your figures from so I can educate myself and make a decision for myself?

We may be able to get free healthcare in most of Europe with your Enic card, but that is supposed to be reciprocal, which it should be. Outside of the eu though is a different matter, we all see the stories of families selling their homes and fund raising to get some treatment abroad which isn't available here, if that treatment was available here all they'd need to raise is the plane fare over and hey presto free treatment, although nice in an ideal world it's not sustainable in the long term.

Farage plays to his 'target market well' because he is a conviction politician who normal people identify with, this scares the other parties who resort to branding him a bigot hoping people will be too ashamed to vote for him, or thinking that by voting for him they're being rascist in some way.

Last night I thought the best people were Sturgeon, Farage, Cameron then Milliband, it's no surprise to me, nor should it be to other people that the 2 at the top are politicians who have strong convictions and belief in what they're saying, even if I didn't agree with all that they say, at least they're passionate about what they're saying. Cameron seemed to be more believable than Milliband who just seemed to be stage managed and was trying to look like he believed what he was saying, but I get the impression he'd change his convictions if he thought it would win him votes.

Labour might have a chance if they had someone like Sturgeon in charge, but I can never believe that you get out of debt by spending more money, when I've maxed out my credit cards in the past I've had to tighten my belt accordingly until they've been paid off, not order another one. I think that Labour and SNP would be a nightmare scenario and I don't think Milliband is strong enough to dominate the SNP whoes priorities would obviously be Scots.

Conservatives on the other hand seem like the only party that takes responsibility, I don't agree with all their policies but I agree with their belief that you have to have clear the nations debts, I don't want this done by my taxes being raised so I'll vote for them

I'm just taking him at face value, as you have to with all politicians, I wouldn't have a clue how to get access to all the facts and figures that he and other politicians were spouting, you obviously do as you know he was spouting 'whoppers', are you able to point me in the direction where you got your figures from so I can educate myself and make a decision for myself?

We may be able to get free healthcare in most of Europe with your Enic card, but that is supposed to be reciprocal, which it should be. Outside of the eu though is a different matter, we all see the stories of families selling their homes and fund raising to get some treatment abroad which isn't available here, if that treatment was available here all they'd need to raise is the plane fare over and hey presto free treatment, although nice in an ideal world it's not sustainable in the long term.

Farage plays to his 'target market well' because he is a conviction politician who normal people identify with, this scares the other parties who resort to branding him a bigot hoping people will be too ashamed to vote for him, or thinking that by voting for him they're being rascist in some way.

Last night I thought the best people were Sturgeon, Farage, Cameron then Milliband, it's no surprise to me, nor should it be to other people that the 2 at the top are politicians who have strong convictions and belief in what they're saying, even if I didn't agree with all that they say, at least they're passionate about what they're saying. Cameron seemed to be more believable than Milliband who just seemed to be stage managed and was trying to look like he believed what he was saying, but I get the impression he'd change his convictions if he thought it would win him votes.

Labour might have a chance if they had someone like Sturgeon in charge, but I can never believe that you get out of debt by spending more money, when I've maxed out my credit cards in the past I've had to tighten my belt accordingly until they've been paid off, not order another one. I think that Labour and SNP would be a nightmare scenario and I don't think Milliband is strong enough to dominate the SNP whoes priorities would obviously be Scots.

Conservatives on the other hand seem like the only party that takes responsibility, I don't agree with all their policies but I agree with their belief that you have to have clear the nations debts, I don't want this done by my taxes being raised so I'll vote for them

I assume you ignored the unfortunate and verifiable facts that Farage pointed out about how this government have borrowed MORE than Labour did in their whole term of office and STILL the deficit is rising? but hey, don't let doctrine get in the way the facts.

i.m just speaking from experience has someone who has voted since the 1970s and seen the same old arguments time and time again. to be fair they are all bu ll sh itters and i think people take a lot of there news from newspapers owned by rich vested interests and distort the news for their own agendas. i still remember when cameron was regarded has week and his hug a hoody phase.i don,t mind who gets elected has theres not much difference between them all apart from farages party who would do great damage to the britsh industry with his childish policys but thats never going to happen thank god and agree cameron with clegg in another coalition would be the best outcome of the election.

You seem to be dealing in whoopers yourself, perhaps you could work next to Nigel in burger king.

The EUSSR health card specifically excludes health tourism. The scheme is to allow people to continue their stay in a country without having to return home for medical care; as such, it does not cover people who have visited a country for the purpose of obtaining better medical care. Therefore if a Bulgarian aids victim wanted to move to the UK because our treatment is better, we are perfectly entitled under EUSSR dictate to refuse him free treatment .

I assume you ignored the unfortunate and verifiable facts that Farage pointed out about how this government have borrowed MORE than Labour did in their whole term of office and STILL the deficit is rising? but hey, don't let doctrine get in the way the facts.

And yet if they had cut any more than they had done then labour would be hammering them! Labour's term in office is characterised by idiot schemes like sure start centres which have now mostly been closed down. They weren't used anything like enough to be justified and lost a load of money yet labour made a big fuss when they were closed. Sums them up.

And yet if they had cut any more than they had done then labour would be hammering them! Labour's term in office is characterised by idiot schemes like sure start centres which have now mostly been closed down. They weren't used anything like enough to be justified and lost a load of money yet labour made a big fuss when they were closed. Sums them up.

Those sure start centres helped a lot of single parents in poorer areas actually. But either way, spending more in 4 years than 13 doesn't seem like a very clever way of cutting anything.....Unless they're lying.....

Edited by Hockey_saint