Paul Mitchell To Leave Saints

Saint-Armstrong

in other words.........Les is someone who is loyal and likes it at the club..it's the other bar stewards who are jumping ship .......

Dont worry about loyalty, completely over rated.

Mitchell wasn't loyal to MK Dons when we came knocking two years ago and Tadic, Mane, Pelle weren't loyal to their clubs, they jumped to us.

We march on.

Strange club.

The other day Pochettino was saying at Southampton he was a Manager and at Spurs he is a Head Coach and is focus on the first team and has less broad responsibilities.

Sounds like he is distances himself from the structure there.

Strange club.

The other day Pochettino was saying at Southampton he was a Manager and at Spurs he is a Head Coach and is focus on the first team and has less broad responsibilities.

Sounds like he is distances himself from the structure there.

perhaps his way of saying .... " I have to work with what I've got ....I didn't buy this load of s**t, I'm just supposed to make them into a team..."

(Interesting that their two best performers in recent games, Kane and Mason ..are from Spuds Academy) ...yet Levy & Co. spent £100 million + on a load of dross

• 8 months later...

Loic Perard had a fairly average career in France as a footballer. According to his wikipedia page, he was sporting director at Laval in 2007 and joined Valenciennes in 2012 as their scout. It'll be interesting to see if in January we make some signings from the French league.

Loic Perard had a fairly average career in France as a footballer. According to his wikipedia page, he was sporting director at Laval in 2007 and joined Valenciennes in 2012 as their scout. It'll be interesting to see if in January we make some signings from the French league.

Who was the last player we signed from the French League? Lovren?

• 4 months later...

Bigger loss than initially people thought?

Many comments that we would replace him easily at the time.

Poor summer business IMO the biggest factor in poor form.

Would Spurs have gone for Alderweireld without Mitchell involved?

Would we have signed anyone better than we did?

Hard to know.

Hard to know.

Was gutted at the time and realised this and it's been proved its a huge loss.

Hard to know.

Nearly as big a loss as Eva Carneiro at Chelsea IMO. Look at what happened to them when she left!!

We would have to know what is the situation around scouting right now. If Mane, Tadic and Pelle were the best we could find (I somehow doubt it), then something is wrong. If the manager decided to go for some signings over others, then something is also wrong, as it shows that there are people in the club that don't trust some of its staff.

He was never ours to replace but I can't remember a single person saying that it would be easy to replace him.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Believe me they did big time. No way Cortese wouldn't have tied the Toby deal up just not a chance.

We would have to know what is the situation around scouting right now. If Mane, Tadic and Pelle were the best we could find (I somehow doubt it), then something is wrong. If the manager decided to go for some signings over others, then something is also wrong, as it shows that there are people in the club that don't trust some of its staff.

Those 3 were good signings it's the new ones who have been poor.

I don't think he is a huge loss. He didn't take away any IP from Saints. The system he helped to establish is the one we have in place now. Without knowing what we have changed since he left or what he has done at Spurs that he may otherwise have done here it is hard to speculate. I was surprised we replaced him with someone from Huddersfield Town though.

And who knows - maybe lots of talent was identified in the summer but we couldn't convince many of them to sign? I know Les Reed said we signed all our major targets but he'd say that no matter what.

Believe me they did big time. No way Cortese wouldn't have tied the Toby deal up just not a chance.

And that's the critical difference, very small margins at this level. Cortese had many faults, but stubbornly making big decisions wasn't one of them, you are right Roger.

He was never ours to replace but I can't remember a single person saying that it would be easy to replace him.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

There were quite a few suggesting he was easily replaceable.

Pochettino has publically mentioned him quite a few times at Spurs, henis obviously good at what he does, despite the thoughts of many when he left.

Spurs casting desperately around for magic beans. Hilarious. We are laughing at you Pochettino.

When will they have a proper plan themselves?

What on earth is more attractive about the mess at Spurs right now?

Absolutely laughable that a member of the back office staff is getting so much attention.

That's fine. He is but a replaceable cog in our well oiled machine.

I don't get what the big deal is about this guy leaving, I really don't. He's not our academy director he's someone who oversaw a pretty average success rate of signings. Don't get how this is news, apart from Ashton having a bee in his bonnet about the Summer.

Replaceable...

******** to him. Just a cog in the machine which can be replaced given he was quite new in and came from MK Dons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30082201

No idea why this is getting any kind of headline. We'll just replace him with someone better and continue to march on.

Huge badge of honour really that they keep coming to us for their upgrades - be interesting to see where they are this time next year

Don't know why people are so upset about this. One thing that has become incredibly obvious about the way our organisation is set up is that nobody is irreplaceable.

Move on.

His first job is to find someone to replace MP ;)

There's a reason most of us hadn't heard of Paul Mitchell until a couple of days ago. He's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

No panic. He's a replaceable head of department. The team of scouts/analysts are still as good at their job as they were before their line manager left.

Spurs thinking long-term? Not a chance!

I don't think he is a huge loss. He didn't take away any IP from Saints. The system he helped to establish is the one we have in place now. Without knowing what we have changed since he left or what he has done at Spurs that he may otherwise have done here it is hard to speculate. I was surprised we replaced him with someone from Huddersfield Town though.

And who knows - maybe lots of talent was identified in the summer but we couldn't convince many of them to sign? I know Les Reed said we signed all our major targets but he'd say that no matter what.

Wasn't Mitchell from MK Dons? Not exactly Real Madrid is it...

Wasn't Mitchell from MK Dons? Not exactly Real Madrid is it...

Nope. But then again we were a Championship club at the time. Saints were a step up in terms of size of club but the market we were operating in was somewhat familiar to him.

Ross Wilson went from spending club record fees on players from Bradford to completing deals for international players. I don't think that is comparable.

Nope. But then again we were a Championship club at the time. Saints were a step up in terms of size of club but the market we were operating in was somewhat familiar to him.

Ross Wilson went from spending club record fees on players from Bradford to completing deals for international players. I don't think that is comparable.

Fair enough, you've convinced me!

Fair enough, you've convinced me!

I should point out I don't really think Ross Wilson is a problem at Saints anyway. I am fairly sure he just manages the processes that Les Reed put in place for recruitment. Unless Ross Wilson is insulting potential signings when he meets them I don't think he has much of a say on who we're buying, but he is responsible for a lot of the recruitment process in terms of collating information on players and then doing the work in the transfer that Les Reed doesn't.

I should point out I don't really think Ross Wilson is a problem at Saints anyway. I am fairly sure he just manages the processes that Les Reed put in place for recruitment. Unless Ross Wilson is insulting potential signings when he meets them I don't think he has much of a say on who we're buying' date=' but he is responsible for a lot of the recruitment process in terms of collating information on players and then doing the work in the transfer that Les Reed doesn't.[/quote']

Whose role would it be to point out that Cedric, Clasie and Juanmi would physically struggle in PL football?

If not Wilson, our Head of Player Recruitment, then who? It isn't an admin role...

Whose role would it be to point out that Cedric, Clasie and Juanmi would physically struggle in PL football?

If not Wilson, our Head of Player Recruitment, then who? It isn't an admin role...

He will collate stats on the players and make an appraisal. But he doesn't decide who to sign. He may provide a list of targets based on a set of criteria (both playing wise and non-playing). Les Reed and Ronald Koeman pull the trigger on that one. He'll likely make recommendations but I highly doubt we've signed a single player that Ross Wilson likes and Les Reed and Ronald Koeman are unsure about.

He will collate stats on the players and make an appraisal. But he doesn't decide who to sign. He may provide a list of targets based on a set of criteria (both playing wise and non-playing). Les Reed and Ronald Koeman pull the trigger on that one. He'll likely make recommendations but I highly doubt we've signed a single player that Ross Wilson likes and Les Reed and Ronald Koeman are unsure about.

Probably not, no. But why track unsuitable players or suggest them in the first place?

Maybe he is too much of a yes man. Who knows, I don't.

But something has gone wrong. The summer window was very, very poor with only VVD being anything above distinctly average.

More than anything so many of the players we sign seem unsuitable for the league. Not all players will come good, thats just the reality of the transfer market, but I'm not even sure they know what core attributes are non negotiable, especially on the physical side.

Probably not, no. But why track unsuitable players or suggest them in the first place?

But something has gone wrong. The summer window was very, very poor with only VVD being anything above distinctly average.

More than anything so many of the players we sign seem unsuitable for the league. Not all players will come good, thats just the reality of the transfer market, but I'm not even sure they know what core attributes are non negotiable, especially on the physical side.

I won't disagree with you at all that our summer transfer business was **** poor.

All this ignores the fact that many other teams are using similar systems to scout players. Our black box is not unique, as much as SFC will tell you it is.

We would also be foolish to think that it is not being enhanced at Spuds. They have deeper pockets & can certainly pay higher wages!

What way? What the **** does: play the Southampton way mean?

obviously a certain style of football generally. Packaged as 'the southampton way' at this club

we dont own that style but its what we call it here....or something like that quite clear really.

Something has gone a little off script as you have ron saying a few things in the media when there is really no need. No doubt protecting his position etc. Probably a bit of tension behind the scenes...as expected really

Edited by Batman

......have you noticed how difficult it is for many foreign players to adjust to the Prem.?

Look at the money Man U. spent in the summer and tell me they are better as individuals . Wish I could say that any of them impressed me ...they don't.

Watching Man.U this season...(a boring experience, it's true)....I'd say they've had a whole season's good luck already.

Playing well in Italy, Spain ...Holland and then coming to the Prem. is like a wet night at Old Trafford compared to a game in Abu Dhabi....

Edited by david in sweden

• 6 months later...
Sam Cunningham ‏@samcunningham

Tottenham's head of recruitment Paul Mitchell has handed in his resignation at the club. Full story @MailSport.

Wow - That comes as a surprise.

I would assume that may have something to do with a certain Mr Levy

Edited by saints1988

Ah, thanks - I couldn't find the full article.

It is understood that the reason for his resignation is not related to Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Tottenham declined to comment.

Based on those 2 sentences, I'm putting my money on Levy interference.