Paul Mitchell To Leave Saints

Saint-Armstrong

There's a reason most of us hadn't heard of Paul Mitchell until a couple of days ago. He's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly. I get the feeling that the reason so much is being made about it in the press is simply because Levy wants it to be... He needs this to seem like a coup to appease their fans who have been critical of Spurs' incoming transfers.

People talking like Mitchell was the only one finding players here.

He headed up an entire department full of people finding players. That's the truth.

It's also only being mentioned that he was about first team acquisitions. The interview in the feature about the new pavilion said that he was also involved in the acquisition of youth team players, so perhaps Spurs want him to find young players and train them, rather than let us train them and then buy them...

It's also only being mentioned that he was about first team acquisitions. The interview in the feature about the new pavilion said that he was also involved in the acquisition of youth team players, so perhaps Spurs want him to find young players and train them, rather than let us train them and then buy them...

Spurs thinking long-term? Not a chance!

Can't be arsed to trawl through the threads so apologies if its been done already but....

Why all the fuss about this guy all he did was the players hair ba boom....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1442[/ATTACH]

Perhaps his role was to help the team gel...

Can't be arsed to trawl through the threads so apologies if its been done already but....

Why all the fuss about this guy all he did was the players hair ba boom....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1442[/ATTACH]

Might work slightly better if his name was Trevor Mitchell :?:?

Apologies if already posted...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/20/tottenham-paul-mitchell-southampton-mauricio-pochettino

" Mitchell’s contract, in line with many football executives, contains a six-month notice period so if Southampton were not happy with Tottenham’s offer of compensation they could hold on to him for the remainder of the season or place him on gardening leave. It is unlikely to come to that."

So Tottenham have confirmed he is joining them. Another one with no integrity who joins a club rotten to its very core!

I am not sure it fair to say he has no integrity. Of course for us it is disappointing similar to the close season when players were leaving. I think the important thing is to ensure we recruit well and carry on our course. If we go on with the direction we have taken since Cortese bailed out we may in years to come end up keeping the people we want to keep.

Doesnt always happen, I can honestly say I have been offered double my salary and turned it down.

Id say its twofold, money and the challenge

As well as working environment. I have my Saints tinted glasses on and can't possibly think of a better place to work.

......this is beginning to sound like one of those old WW2 spyfilm thrillers.

Having stolen the plans for our success, Mitchell has been allowed to leave - and has smuggled out all of our top secret plans for targetting players.

in truth, it's more likely the whole story is just another sad episode in Daniel Levy's attempt to cover his back, and avoid sacking yet another failing manager (sorry Head Coach).

I began thinking ....what is the difference ?...What tasks did MP have (as manager)...at Saints that he doesn't have responsibility for at Spuds....(just moving the cones after practice, or )

as for Paul Mitchell, he is Levy's last hope ..and the hidden message is ...don't expect too much success... too soon. Be prepared for another season...or two.. of mid-table mediocrity.

However, I expect Mitchell will sanction a purchase of " someone from a Saints' list "...in January - just to prove he's doing something....but if he is seen to be worth all this publicity, he has to turn around Spuds buying policy ..PDQ...otherwise....Spuds will degenerate into what they were without Gareth Bale - a fairly ordinary upper echelon club with a glorious past - recalled only by today's pensioners.

Edited by david in sweden

What happened to his supposed notice period? Either it was very short (seems unlikely) or we were even more relaxed about him leaving and waived it

Or Spurs paid the compensation required to take him straight away, which is what happens most of the time in football anyway. Levy seems pretty desperate...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/26/paul-mitchell-scout-tottenham-southampton

Contains the quote:

Koeman said: “It is a compliment for us that Tottenham are not just trying to buy football players, they are also trying to buy our scouts. That is a compliment for us because that means maybe we have a better structure than they have.”

Still puzzled as to exactly what his role was. "Head of Recruitment" - that's an HR function, headhunter to make initial contact to names given to him, an agency function, to set up meetings, to agree personal terms. I don't believe he "found" Tadic or Pelle as they were already known to Koeman. I'm sure he has good soft people skills and all that, but surely he will take on a similar role at Spurs making contact with the players on the list Franco Baldini gives him.

Interesting BBC article Ronald taking the **** out of spurs :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30226314

"Maybe Spurs felt they couldn't buy our football players so they had to bring in other people," Saints manager Ronald Koeman told BBC Radio Solent.

"It's a compliment for Southampton, maybe they need the same structure that we have."

Spurs, who have spent £135m in the last 18 months, are currently 10th in the Premier League table and trail leaders Chelsea by 15 points, while Saints lie second.

"It will effect everybody as it is an important role at the club," added Koeman.

"It's a challenge for Paul, he wanted to move and we have to respect that. Southampton is not dependant on one person; Southampton will march on.

"For the last few years Southampton has had a good structure.

"There is a strong academy, good young players, a technical director in Les Reed who has the club's long-term interests at heart - that is the quality of the club.

"It is a good structure and it is a pleasure to work in that."

My BBC news app credits Mitchell with finding Pelle, Tadic and Mane, hold on a minute, isn't there just a chance that Ronald already had previous knowledge of these guys.:mcinnes:

You would certainly expect him to know a little about Pelle!

Also liked the bit about Spurs continuing to show an interest in Morgan & Jay - the interest being that it is perpetuated in the article. If it is run enough times then the reported interest does indeed continue.

"Maybe Spurs felt they couldn't buy our football players so they had to bring in other people," Saints manager Ronald Koeman told BBC Radio Solent.

"It's a compliment for Southampton, maybe they need the same structure that we have."

Spurs, who have spent £135m in the last 18 months, are currently 10th in the Premier League table and trail leaders Chelsea by 15 points, while Saints lie second.

"It will effect everybody as it is an important role at the club," added Koeman.

"It's a challenge for Paul, he wanted to move and we have to respect that. Southampton is not dependant on one person; Southampton will march on.

"There is a strong academy, good young players, a technical director in Les Reed who has the club's long-term interests at heart - that is the quality of the club.

#Proud

Love the "...we march on" quote from Ronald.

You would certainly expect him to know a little about Pelle!

Also liked the bit about Spurs continuing to show an interest in Morgan & Jay - the interest being that it is perpetuated in the article. If it is run enough times then the reported interest does indeed continue.

What this bit?

Tottenham continue to be linked with January transfer window moves for Saints duo Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez, and will hope Mitchell's arrival can prise both away from St Mary's.

Doesn't even make sense what player has moved to a club because he likes the guy who runs the club scouting network?

Still puzzled as to exactly what his role was. "Head of Recruitment" - that's an HR function, headhunter to make initial contact to names given to him, an agency function, to set up meetings, to agree personal terms. I don't believe he "found" Tadic or Pelle as they were already known to Koeman. I'm sure he has good soft people skills and all that, but surely he will take on a similar role at Spurs making contact with the players on the list Franco Baldini gives him.

Best not to confuse it with the role that Recruitment plays in HR in a traditional organisation. His work at Saints was based around establishing the framework and process that all footballers are assessed / analysed - both within the club and outside.

This is about creating a process that focuses on the attributes of a footballer that are important to the club (that fit our 'profile') - both on and off the field, and using it to determine whether the footballer is the right fit for our club. What comes out the other side is a list of transfer targets for the club. Conversely, these principles are also applied to players already at the club, all the way down to the Academy. He determined how we appraise them and this in turn allows us to understand if they are making progress towards the first team (or rather, is one of the many things we use to determine that).

He does not negotiate with players, and nor does he ultimately decide who we sign. He simply presents a list of players to meet a certain requirement asked of him based on his process and method to appraise players. To help him in this process he has scouts and analysts in his team. The 'black box' is simply a bespoke room designed to focus those inside it at the task at hand, and the 'software' we use to assess players is simply a database with player cuttings and clips to hand to allow us to compare and review things at speed.

Paul Mitchell helped establish the structure that we now operate in recruitment and player assessment, him leaving does not mean the end of the world but it does mean Spurs will be looking to copy what we did. I have no doubt he will be able to replicate it - whether or not it has the same effect on Spurs is another matter as that will be down to other people, namely Levy and Baldini. But if you are going to get your salary doubled / tripled, then why not take the risk - he is a professional like anyone else.

What this bit?

Tottenham continue to be linked with January transfer window moves for Saints duo Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez, and will hope Mitchell's arrival can prise both away from St Mary's.

Doesn't even make sense what player has moved to a club because he likes the guy who runs the club scouting network?

Indeed, unless Mitchell has a spare £20m to cover the likely difference between the Spuds bid and our valuation of Morgan.

What this bit?

It's laughable. Morgan will move in the summer for loadsa money. Neither player will be going in January and certainly not to Spurs.

My BBC news app credits Mitchell with finding Pelle, Tadic and Mane, hold on a minute, isn't there just a chance that Ronald already had previous knowledge of these guys.:mcinnes:

Unfortunately that can be said both ways. Id argue that the decision to bring in Koeman and his 'boys' were one big mutual agreement.

What this bit?

Morgan: I'm just so pleased to know that from time to time I'll get to see Paul Mitchell in the hallway and nod at him. That's why I signed for Spurs.

Yeah, I don't think so. Stupid to try and link the two events, but any chance to remind us that Spurs are desperate to sign our best players, eh?

in other words.........Les is someone who is loyal and likes it at the club..it's the other bar stewards who are jumping ship .......

His poaching by Spuds has given a breathing space for Daniel Levy ..and avoids the possible / probable sacking yet another manager (sorry head coach).., and moves the responsibility onto Mitchell.

......but the most laughable thing is the different media definitions of his former job....." Head of Recruitment " when we know he had oversight of a large staff monitoring the reports of all the scouts ....

According to a Sky Radio interview, a former Spuds employee said they were the only Prem.club without a scouting network:scared:, and that's a problem as Mitchell has to get his data from somewhere.

...to which he had suddenly become Saints' "transfer guru " - as if no-one else in the club was able to identify a likely target :lol:

If some of Koeman's choices ( Pelle, Tadic ) coincided with The Black Box's findings it proves the system works ....not necessarily that he (Mitchell) was the brain behind their signings.

Time will tell. Spuds will continue to throw money at the problem, Saints will spend...more wisely.

Edited by david in sweden