Pathetic Support

Rasiak-9-

I'm going to return to a topic that comes up every now and again.

Why is the Chapel end so absurdly quiet?

I'm not into the whole Ultra thing, but if we moved (by offering a discount) 100 or so singers en bloc from the Northam end to the centre of the Chapel end, the atmosphere would improve markedly.

Atmosphere yesterday was pretty good though, all in all.

Edited by SaintBobby

I think as we have gotten better with good play there are times where you vanish into a bubble of concentration on the game and tight games like yesterday suck even more fans into that bubble of concentration, it's not a lack of passion.

You look at Arsenal always called a library but you can't argue that overall Arsenal under Wenger have played some very pretty football which as a neutral watching them has been very pleasing on the eye, as a a result Arsenal fans more than likely are in that bubble of concentration.

Brother in Law is a 100% one eyed Chelsea fan and was in the Chelsea section of the ground he did find "The Saints are staying up" chant very amusing.

Thought it was decent yesterday. Nervy game, and I had expected a lot more from the Chelsea lot from reports of the game last season.

One thing that I mention a lot. Away fans in the home end. On my way out, saw three girls in Itchen North singing "top of the league".

I said "It's a good job you are, love. You appear to be f##king lost otherwise".

"What?"

"Next time, go in the bit that says AWAY".

She probably won't, and will probably end up getting lamped at another fixture with less tolerant neighbours.

That doesn't make any sense Pap. What does their team being top of the league have to do with whether or not they are lost / in the wrong section? I'm not surprised they were confused by what you said.

That doesn't make any sense Pap. What does their team being top of the league have to do with whether or not they are lost / in the wrong section? I'm not surprised they were confused by what you said.

They weren't confused.

The excuse they offered was that they couldn't get tickets in their end.

My answer to that is three Saints fans couldn't get tickets in theirs either, and have more right.

The corporate section is a bit weird...technically, it's home fans only for the Saints bar/Channon section...but to say the rules are observed in the breach is an understatement.

Against smaller teams, e.g. Yeovil in the cup, the MC usually makes a point of welcoming the away fans in the lounge.

Sounded decent on Sky but it does often depend on where you sit as to wether you hear the away fans or the home ones for that matter. It is of course easier to sing and be load when your team is doing all the attacking and not spending an hour heart in mouth defending for their lives.

Watched the game on a stream yesterday and the atmosphere sounds great to me the whole match. Unlike Spuds v Manure which was dire which I watched just before our game.

In response to the usual slag off the Chapel end.. there are pockets of singers down there.. for the last 5 seasons I've sat in block 16 which my nipper and his cousin and we would always sing loud and proud. Just too few is the problem.. perhaps instead of moaning about it, move to the Chapel and help make some noise.

Looking forward to going to the Arsenal game which my troops and make some noise.

Lots of day trippers there today, had to laugh at one princess who quite obviously had never been to SMS before, arrived after kick off with a plastic cup of red wine, and arrived at her seat late for 2nd half with hot slice and bottle of carlsberg, the look on her face was priceless when challenged by stewards and had drink confiscated. Got away with it 1st half but bubbled 2nd half. Pretty much summed up the type of part time support we had there today really.

Said to my neighbour that I hate these type of games where all these people emerge out of the woodwork. I was at a pre-Xmas drinks and mentioned the game, and this bimbo got all excited and that she must get tickets for her kids (who spend most of the time in London). Where were they all at the beginning of the season? While I enjoyed the result, it wasn't the most enjoyable game at SMS this season. Sunderland was fun (for me and the 29k others who bothered to turn up), but Everton takes it, as I really wasn't expecting that.

But, as others have said, people pay there pennies and they can come to the game and be as vocal as they want.

Said to my neighbour that I hate these type of games where all these people emerge out of the woodwork. I was at a pre-Xmas drinks and mentioned the game, and this bimbo got all excited and that she must get tickets for her kids (who spend most of the time in London). Where were they all at the beginning of the season? While I enjoyed the result, it wasn't the most enjoyable game at SMS this season. Sunderland was fun (for me and the 29k others who bothered to turn up), but Everton takes it, as I really wasn't expecting that.

But, as others have said, people pay there pennies and they can come to the game and be as vocal as they want.

So long as they're not "bimbos" eh, Angelman? Whatever that means.

all those who do not like level of support should shout a bit louder themselves

90% of the time you remain a lone voice. Encountered that enough this season, though I'll be buggered if I'm letting it ruin my matchday and persist regardless.

If others don't want to vocalise their support then fine - but it's a shame that it's often quieter now than when we were in L1 and the Championship (and probably our PL spell before that too, by way of more direct comparison). Though it's the same at virtually all top-flight clubs that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

On occasion this season (both home and away) I've heard fans being asked to shut up when attempting to get chants going. Bizarre.

90% of the time you remain a lone voice. Encountered that enough this season, though I'll be buggered if I'm letting it ruin my matchday and persist regardless.

If others don't want to vocalise their support then fine - but it's a shame that it's often quieter now than when we were in L1 and the Championship (and probably our PL spell before that too, by way of more direct comparison). Though it's the same at virtually all top-flight clubs that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

On occasion this season (both home and away) I've heard fans being asked to shut up when attempting to get chants going. Bizarre.

Misty-eyed revisionism. The atmosphere in L1 and the Championship was nothing special. Just a simplistic assertion that because 'real' fans came out during the lean times, the atmosphere had to be commensurately better.

The problem is structural: the separation between the loud and quiet parts of ghe stadium is too great for an atmosphere to catch on and apart from the Northam, the Itchen and Kingsland corners, nobody sings -regardless of the division we're in.

If anything, being back in the prem has improved things at the margins -not least because blocks 1-3 have been reopened.

Misty-eyed revisionism.

Well I've been in the same spot for the entire journey and have a near-autistic memory of individual matches, but if you say so!

I'm not only talking about the sense of noise generated throughout the ground. Around me (halfway to two-thirds back in Block 42), almost everybody sang during our jaunt through the lower leagues. Most games now I feel blessed if a dozen in the vicinity pipe up, aside from during obvious moments such as goal celebrations.

It is what it is and I do accept that my desired matchday experience isn't shared by all.

Well I've been in the same spot for the entire journey and have a near-autistic memory of individual matches, but if you say so!

I'm not only talking about the sense of noise generated throughout the ground. Around me (halfway to two-thirds back in Block 42), almost everybody sang during our jaunt through the lower leagues. Most games now I feel blessed if a dozen in the vicinity pipe up, aside from during obvious moments such as goal celebrations.

It is what it is and I do accept that my desired matchday experience isn't shared by all.

You'll know better about the Northam than me - just surprised it's changed that much. I do know that quite a few who used to be in the Kingsland North (and possibly the Northam) moved to the Itchen North and as a result the atmosphere has improved there.

If you'd met her, you'd know. Am I right in thinking that you saw the use of the word "bimbo" as misogynistic, when it was just about one person?

The word puts me on edge as it's only used for women, and is pretty demeaning. Plus you're at the mercy of the person using it. I probably reacted more to it because your description of her didn't sound unreasonable. I do try hard to not be the resident bore on feminist issues though, so I'm going to shut up on this!

The word puts me on edge as it's only used for women, and is pretty demeaning. Plus you're at the mercy of the person using it. I probably reacted more to it because your description of her didn't sound unreasonable. I do try hard to not be the resident bore on feminist issues though, so I'm going to shut up on this!

And yet PG Wodehouse used the word to describe upper class,male, hunting,shooting,fishing types; usually of fairly little brain.

Yeah probably for the best, no one likes a woman with too much to say for herself.

Misty-eyed revisionism. The atmosphere in L1 and the Championship was nothing special. Just a simplistic assertion that because 'real' fans came out during the lean times, the atmosphere had to be commensurately better.

The problem is structural: the separation between the loud and quiet parts of ghe stadium is too great for an atmosphere to catch on and apart from the Northam, the Itchen and Kingsland corners, nobody sings -regardless of the division we're in.

If anything, being back in the prem has improved things at the margins -not least because blocks 1-3 have been reopened.

Block 1 is a great laugh. Some Chelsea pensioner proper giving it this week. The only way his ranting could have been remotely credible is if he was Brick Top from Snatch (he had the same glasses).

I doubt he knew what nemesis meant though.

10 men backs to the wall giving absolutely everything against by far the best team in the league and that's the best we could come up with?

Poor form.

Well I came back with a sore throat from singing and shouting at the ref - but the people in front of me do just sit there as if they are bored stiff and never say anything at all.

F**K YOU you sanctimonious git! I sit at the quiet end and I come back hoarse every game and have done for the last 60 years. Just look after your own game...if you're embarrassed don't go!

spot on, I sit in the Northam because I choose to sing, others choose not to, but I'll not moan at them or about them, we all enjoy the FOOTBALL and thats why we go

I'm going to return to a topic that comes up every now and again.

Why is the Chapel end so absurdly quiet?

I'm not into the whole Ultra thing, but if we moved (by offering a discount) 100 or so singers en bloc from the Northam end to the centre of the Chapel end, the atmosphere would improve markedly.

Atmosphere yesterday was pretty good though, all in all.

t goes back to a previous incarnation of this site when the site owner thought it would be great to be next to the away fans..........then the sheep followed LOL

I wish it was a little louder in Itchen South. Then I wouldn't be able to hear the inane drivel being shouted by some bellend sitting a few rows back.

You need to encourage a few more to spout inane drivel so that the noise harmonises and becomes less noticeable.

F**K YOU you sanctimonious git! I sit at the quiet end and I come back hoarse every game and have done for the last 60 years. Just look after your own game...if you're embarrassed don't go!

Well I came back with a sore throat from singing and shouting at the ref - but the people in front of me do just sit there as if they are bored stiff and never say anything at all.

Good for you both (obviously I'm not directing criticism at the people who do actually sing and shout for the team)

I personally think it has a lot to do with a lack of songs. Aside from OWTS there's basically been nothing in the home matches since promotion to the Premiership, even the Lambert song died a death and sounded crap with just 'nah-nah-nah-nah-nah...' in the last two seasons. (May be wrong but I genuinely don't remember hearing it ever being sung with the actual words in a home match)

Likewise in this season, the only player songs that seem to exist are just ones that fit with Seven Nation Army, which sounds boring and repetitive and incredibly, incredibly stupid when we sing them for two players in the same game "Our Maya Yoshida/Sadio Mane" (The Jose Fonte song a notable exception even if we do mispronounce his name to get it in there).

Long story short, against Chelsea there wasn't an awful lot from our fans aside from applause for tackles and blocks (obviously no complaints there) but very few songs from what seems to be an increasingly small group of supporters in the Itchen North/decreasingly vocal Northam.

(I understand that when fans are in a nervous nailbiter it doesn't make for a rock-and-roll atmosphere quite the way it would if you're drawing with a club above you in the table and battering them as you push for a winner).

The one exception was the 'Johnson's Paint Trophy, you'll never win that' which was a brilliant comeback to the frustrated Chelsea fans bragging about their bought-and-paid-for glory; just a shame it was only sung by a small contingent in the Itchen North.

Long story short? Good support isn't vital but its nice to represent your home town with pride and passion. It sounds good, raises the profile of the club, intimidates opponents, generates love and loyalty from players and helps encourage good performances.

As I say, we can do better, we have done better in recent years (and are still very decent at away games especially in London).

Do you think noisy support is a good thing?

Would you rather it was quieter?

When The Northam was booing the players and singing swing lowe etc in the dark days.

I don't remember who we were playing but I was in the kingsland north which was pretty empty and rat arsed and completely lost it. I went mental, I mean proper ****ed up seething loud as you can both barrels at them just as it went quiet and was to caught up in my rant to realise. Still got a round of OWTS going whilst looking a proper cvnt

I thought the atmosphere was great , real emotion at the blocks and clearances at the end. Maybe it was a bit too tense for songs but it was real raw proper football support. They were pretty quiet which surprised me as I thought they were great last year .

The only thing that got to me was people leaving before the end. How the **** can anyone call themselves a supporter and then leave . I sit near the exit and there must have been 50-70 people leave before the injury time. I know people pay their money and can do what they want and they all have to avoid traffic / catch trains blah blah blah . But come on, even a neutral who loves the game would have stayed in their seats to see the end of that . It was finger nail, edge of the seat stuff , yet some if our " supporters " rushed off. That is truly pathetic in my opinion .

Unfortunately we never have or ever will get anywhere near support like the South Americans or Turks/Eastern Europeans but England is now so far behind even the rest of Europe. This is a small Dutch club from a town the size of Eastleigh and regularly play in front of less the 10k. Apparently they get this level of support from both ends of the ground.

To think English support used to be admired.

Unfortunately we never have or ever will get anywhere near support like the South Americans or Turks/Eastern Europeans but England is now so far behind even the rest of Europe. This is a small Dutch club from a town the size of Eastleigh and regularly play in front of less the 10k. Apparently they get this level of support from both ends of the ground.

To think English support used to be admired.

All-seaters now innit.

All-seaters now innit.

A rather over zealous steward told me to sit down at the Chelsea game, when I was perched on the lip of the seat when in it's upright position. I pointed out that the person in front was standing up and that there was no one behind me. I didn't point out that there were at least 3000 Chelsea supporters standing up.

So it seems that the stewards are too pathetic to take on 3000 away supporters but happy to pick on handfuls of home supporters.

A rather over zealous steward told me to sit down at the Chelsea game, when I was perched on the lip of the seat when in it's upright position. I pointed out that the person in front was standing up and that there was no one behind me. I didn't point out that there were at least 3000 Chelsea supporters standing up.

So it seems that the stewards are too pathetic to take on 3000 away supporters but happy to pick on handfuls of home supporters.

how do you know they didnt talk to any chelsea fans?

did you keep your eye on the stewards the whole game?