Pathetic Support

Rasiak-9-

Have read through this thread (give me strength), I have to the indisputable conclusion that you really are a pillock.

Did you need to read that much? I managed to work out how much of a needy, look at me ***** he was after his first post.

Because I'd like to hear a bit more noise from our fans?

Either way, you're certainly flattering yourselves if you think that anyone is remotely fussed about whether or not they get attention from yourselves, or indeed what kind.

I'm not particularly bothered by you thinking that I'm a pillock, but I am a little mystified by it, especially as there are plenty of people on here who've agreed with me entirely.

Ahwel, at least you can get loud over the internet. :thumbup:

Apart from the 15 mins of super fast OWTS it was pretty quiet in the Itchen today with just a few of us trying to get people singing. I don't know if it's normally like this as I sit in the Northam but I've got a feeling it's because of the whole Northam being taken over and the "singing section" being spread throughout the stadium.

Apart from the 15 mins of super fast OWTS it was pretty quiet in the Itchen today with just a few of us trying to get people singing. I don't know if it's normally like this as I sit in the Northam but I've got a feeling it's because of the whole Northam being taken over and the "singing section" being spread throughout the stadium.

This is what I don't get, the Northam always gets taken over by away fans for cup games, always has done and always will be. Why people moan about it when they buy a season ticket there is beyond me.

If everyone who wants to sing etc moved to the Chapel it would solve a lot of problems

It was a strange atmosphere, different from a league game and more subdued. I put this down to the fact that most of the fans were not the usual ones. There were also a lot of children there.

Itchen North did their duty today, there was also one session of slow OWTS second half which spread and became loud. Otherwise though Ipswich had the best of it which is hardly surprising with 5,500 and no Saints in the Northam.

And as W.Grandad says above there seemed to be a lot of kids today and newbs, which can only be good in the long run, but is rarely good for atmos.

Why can't the away fans sit in the Itchen North and give us a full bank of vocal support. Like when we beat MK Dons in the JPT. Also away fans behind a goal could help away teams shooting that way.

I've heard apparently the police won't allow it. I can't understand how it's unsafe.

Anyway, home atmosphere was awful today but hardly surprising. Also definitely a lot of less regular supporters there today.

Why can't the away fans sit in the Itchen North and give us a full bank of vocal support. Like when we beat MK Dons in the JPT. Also away fans behind a goal could help away teams shooting that way.

I've heard apparently the police won't allow it. I can't understand how it's unsafe.

Anyway, home atmosphere was awful today but hardly surprising. Also definitely a lot of less regular supporters there today.

Much harder to segregate, you'e got the corporate boxes behind the Itchen North and its adjacent to the Board of Directors seats, never going to suit an away end. It is frustrating that we're so constrained with giving such a good "end" to away teams, bad enough for league games, even more annoying for the cups. Most clubs have worked a lay out for sticking away fans in a corner, we're just unlucky with St Marys.

Today also reminded me how good it would be generally if the whole of the Northam was Saints, could be a pretty decent "Kop" type end.

Much harder to segregate, you'e got the corporate boxes behind the Itchen North and its adjacent to the Board of Directors seats, never going to suit an away end. It is frustrating that we're so constrained with giving such a good "end" to away teams, bad enough for league games, even more annoying for the cups. Most clubs have worked a lay out for sticking away fans in a corner, we're just unlucky with St Marys.

Today also reminded me how good it would be generally if the whole of the Northam was Saints, could be a pretty decent "Kop" type end.

One good reason for a ground expansion. Stick 'em up in the gods where they can't have much influence. :)

This is what I don't get, the Northam always gets taken over by away fans for cup games, always has done and always will be. Why people moan about it when they buy a season ticket there is beyond me.

If everyone who wants to sing etc moved to the Chapel it would solve a lot of problems

This is "flogging a dead horse" the ubers don't get it ...........or maybe are too th... :)

I don't see the corporates an an issue. In fact they can be sold and advertised for away fans. Away fans often take a box and wind up the home fans in front. We won't lose out if away fans don't buy them as they never sell out anyway.

With them being sat next to the directors. I think it's easy enough to leave a block gap. If not then just move one block round the corner.

For a club that apparently wants to take advantage of every %, this has to be considered. It wouldn't cost much.

Edit: just taken a look at the seating plan, they could have blocks 46-4 which would work out roughly the same. We'd then have 90% of the Northam which would produce a far better atmosphere.

Edited by Golden Balls

Except it's a family stand now so couldn't happen.

There was an argument earlier saying our support was rubbish because working class people can't afford to go to games (and these fans are the loud ones)...

Well yesterday, tickets were much cheaper, and support wasn't all that.

Suppose they gave the Northam to the away end but still, very flat atmosphere.

I think this theory is wrongg

I thought considering Ipswich had the largest away support at St Mary's ever, their support was sh*te. Completely shut up for a while in the second half when Itchen North were singing constantly. Always going to be hard to generate a decent atmosphere when our main singing 'end' is taken up by away fans. Was to be expected.

Out of interest though, has anyone seen a flag at any of our matches with "Scum Army" emblazoned on them ?

Yes, a fair bit

I don't see the corporates an an issue. In fact they can be sold and advertised for away fans. Away fans often take a box and wind up the home fans in front. We won't lose out if away fans don't buy them as they never sell out anyway.

With them being sat next to the directors. I think it's easy enough to leave a block gap. If not then just move one block round the corner.

For a club that apparently wants to take advantage of every %, this has to be considered. It wouldn't cost much.

Edit: just taken a look at the seating plan, they could have blocks 46-4 which would work out roughly the same. We'd then have 90% of the Northam which would produce a far better atmosphere.

I actually think the idea of selling the corporate boxes to away fans if the away allocation was moved to the Itchen North would be a good idea if we were talking about a box or two, but you'd be talking about not far off half of the available boxes. and even quite a few of the away fans that go in a box don't necessarilly want 3k Man Utd or whatever stood in front of them. Plus the issue of segregation within corporate sections and the club getting approval for that. And how many blocks of the Itchen North would have to be given up to make the full 3k? And the fully 4k+ for cup games? It wouldn't be impossible, but it'd take a fair bit of infrastructure work in terms of segregation to make a bit of the Itchen North and a bit of the Northam for away and a bit for home fans.

Fans these days love to mock SISA and the idea of a "Fan on the board", but its stuff like this that would benefit from a bit of supporter liasion and discussion. It was SISA that campaigned for the newly built Archers Road to be allocated to home fans due to the low roof and the atmosphere it could make and it made a huge difference to the last few years at the Dell, was much, much better.

Police won't allow the away end to be moved up the other end of the stadium, too far from the road / drop off points. Where it is now allows them to close the car park if need be and keep the noisy fans apart. Only option would be to push them round the corner into blocks 1-3, with a couple of Northam blocks used for cup games. Concourse segregation isn't a problem this way either.

I actually think the idea of selling the corporate boxes to away fans if the away allocation was moved to the Itchen North would be a good idea if we were talking about a box or two, but you'd be talking about not far off half of the available boxes. and even quite a few of the away fans that go in a box don't necessarilly want 3k Man Utd or whatever stood in front of them. Plus the issue of segregation within corporate sections and the club getting approval for that. And how many blocks of the Itchen North would have to be given up to make the full 3k? And the fully 4k+ for cup games? It wouldn't be impossible, but it'd take a fair bit of infrastructure work in terms of segregation to make a bit of the Itchen North and a bit of the Northam for away and a bit for home fans.

Fans these days love to mock SISA and the idea of a "Fan on the board", but its stuff like this that would benefit from a bit of supporter liasion and discussion. It was SISA that campaigned for the newly built Archers Road to be allocated to home fans due to the low roof and the atmosphere it could make and it made a huge difference to the last few years at the Dell, was much, much better.

If we put away fans in blocks 46-4 it would give away fans roughly 5 boxes. Could always leave the back row empty too. During cup games we could just then move block 46 along to block 43/44. Still leaves the majority of the Northam for home fans and won't completely suck atmosphere out of the ground.

Main infrastructure cost would be installing a separation gate in the itchen concourse and maybe linking the Northam/itchen concourses (which imo wouldn't be needed).

Would still be possible to block off the Northam from away fans after the game. It's just a case of moving the blockade down the car park. If anything it's easier for away fans to get into Britannia Road from the Itchen North.

To avoid the corp box problem the other option is sticking away fans in the Kingsland but not sure that's viable due to the potential problems with them leaving.

I've only ever seen block 42 given to the away fans for cup games and I don't think they sell STs for block 42 for this reason (or at least they never used to) or am I talking bollox, probably!!

If we put away fans in blocks 46-4 it would give away fans roughly 5 boxes. Could always leave the back row empty too. During cup games we could just then move block 46 along to block 43/44. Still leaves the majority of the Northam for home fans and won't completely suck atmosphere out of the ground.

Main infrastructure cost would be installing a separation gate in the itchen concourse and maybe linking the Northam/itchen concourses (which imo wouldn't be needed).

Would still be possible to block off the Northam from away fans after the game. It's just a case of moving the blockade down the car park. If anything it's easier for away fans to get into Britannia Road from the Itchen North.

To avoid the corp box problem the other option is sticking away fans in the Kingsland but not sure that's viable due to the potential problems with them leaving.

5 boxes is still a fair bit of the overall allocation. And it still leaves problems with segregation within corporate sections.

I can imagine the current inhabitants of block 5 kicking off having 3k Man Utd or Spurs fans stuck next to their nice seats!

You're right re Itchen North access onto Brittania Road. Although having two different entrances/exits for away fans will increase police/steward resources a little bit.

Actually I've had an ST in the Northam Block 41 for the past 9 seasons and I've only had to move twice, Man U when they took the larger allocation and with it most of block 41, and yesterday. Even the Skate matches and one of the other Man U cup games we stayed in 41 right next to the segregation. I wasn't complaining anyway, but the lack of a Northam singing section would definitely affect the atmosphere. Luckily for me Block 1/2 was pretty loud anyway, I even managed to contribute the "David McGoldrick, he's always been shjt" song.

I've only ever seen block 42 given to the away fans for cup games and I don't think they sell STs for block 42 for this reason (or at least they never used to) or am I talking bollox, probably!!

They don't sell STs for Block 43, because away fans sometimes have that section for league games, but most of Block 42 is ST holders (despite the occasional Cup game shift). I had one in Block 42 myself in 2001/2.

I would imagine it's got more to do with how they'd have to segregate the Itchen and the problems of home fans moving around the gathered away fans. I can imagine the relatively narrow areas outside the ground near the ticket office (there's a perimeter wall and fence there by Britannia Road) would be a problem for access if two sets of fans were moving around there too, it's enough hassle having to go past the away fans now with plenty more space in the North car park.

I would imagine it's got more to do with how they'd have to segregate the Itchen and the problems of home fans moving around the gathered away fans. I can imagine the relatively narrow areas outside the ground near the ticket office (there's a perimeter wall and fence there by Britannia Road) would be a problem for access if two sets of fans were moving around there too, it's enough hassle having to go past the away fans now with plenty more space in the North car park.
Good point to be honest, having the home fans ticket office sandwiched between the two away turnstiles might not be seen as ideal by the powers that be!

Have those of you that are suggesting that the away end move to Itchen North not actually thought that those of us who have STs there don't want to move?

I choose to sit there as I can still sing and shout a bit without having to put up with the Northam! I have sat on all parts of the ground and sit in Itchen North as I much prefer it to any other parts.

Yesterday was full of kids and families, I was at back of block 3 which is usually standing area, and there was someone with a baby on their lap, could hardly stand and chant.

When both Northam and Itchen North are singing it works better than a lot of grounds with just one 'kop' end.

Have those of you that are suggesting that the away end move to Itchen North not actually thought that those of us who have STs there don't want to move?

I choose to sit there as I can still sing and shout a bit without having to put up with the Northam! I have sat on all parts of the ground and sit in Itchen North as I much prefer it to any other parts.

Yesterday was full of kids and families, I was at back of block 3 which is usually standing area, and there was someone with a baby on their lap, could hardly stand and chant.

When both Northam and Itchen North are singing it works better than a lot of grounds with just one 'kop' end.

But the Itchen North would decamp directly to blocks 44, 45 and 46, so not too much would change apart from a slight angle of viewing the game.

The Northam and Itchen North aren't any different anyway, I'm not sure what you think you'd have to put up with from the Northam that you don't get in the Itchen.

Half the time you get the Itchen North singing one thing, whilst the Northam sings another, it's disjointed. Teams with big, good away followings that fill their allocation are able to make good noise, end up singing over both the Itchen North and the Northam.

You'd still get the problem when they're entitled to extra tickets in the cup. They can only go back into the Northam.

But not as far along leaving the majority still home fans, rather than none like yesterday.

Biggest problem seems to e the ticket office which would be sandwiched between away turnstiles outside.

But not as far along leaving the majority still home fans, rather than none like yesterday.

Biggest problem seems to e the ticket office which would be sandwiched between away turnstiles outside.

You're right but it would still displace what would become our most vocal area of support to elsewhere in the stadium.

Acoustics is about geometry, noise travels by line of sight.

I'm afraid the second portion of that sentence just isn't correct.

Acoustics is about success, but a venues performance owes a lot to diffraction and interference patterns.

Either way, you gave a serious response which is far more than the OP deserves in all frank honesty.

Used to be, not any more. Family section is basically the corner between the Chapel and Kingsland stands.

stadium-plan-in-story148-1827699.jpg

The easy and straightforward answer is to swap home Northern with away Northern sections - i.e. Away section starts block 43 and stretches around to 42-35 depending on the size of crowd. This would allow our 'Northern Kop' never to be changed from blocks 44 to 48 and Itchen 01-03. It would allow away fans to be herded onto buses etc in the car park or away from the Stadium over the bridge. It would just mean creating a ticket office on the Kingsland north corner somewhere which would be easy.

Seriously - I don't think I want to experience such a poor atmos in a game at SMS again. Wake up Saints FC and act.

The easy and straightforward answer is to swap home Northern with away Northern sections - i.e. Away section starts block 43 and stretches around to 42-35 depending on the size of crowd. This would allow our 'Northern Kop' never to be changed from blocks 44 to 48 and Itchen 01-03. It would allow away fans to be herded onto buses etc in the car park or away from the Stadium over the bridge. It would just mean creating a ticket office on the Kingsland north corner somewhere which would be easy.

Seriously - I don't think I want to experience such a poor atmos in a game at SMS again. Wake up Saints FC and act.

Problem with that is away coaches park in Britannia Road.

But the Itchen North would decamp directly to blocks 44, 45 and 46, so not too much would change apart from a slight angle of viewing the game.

The Northam and Itchen North aren't any different anyway, I'm not sure what you think you'd have to put up with from the Northam that you don't get in the Itchen.

Half the time you get the Itchen North singing one thing, whilst the Northam sings another, it's disjointed. Teams with big, good away followings that fill their allocation are able to make good noise, end up singing over both the Itchen North and the Northam.

Thanks to the away fans in the middle I can never hear the Itchen North from the Northam anyway, probably works the other way around too. It's only been the few times I've been elsewhere in the ground (always amidst near perfect silence) that I've been able to tell whether the away fans are actually louder than the Northam - apart from the times when I have still been able to hear the away fans over whatever we're doing of course (usually Man U).

I find that the more tense the game is, the quieter the fans are because they're holding their breath watching the game.

On the other hand, there are fans who are so busy slagging off the opposition fans that they only actually watch 50% of the game.

I know which I think is a 'better fan'.

I'm afraid the second portion of that sentence just isn't correct.

Acoustics is about geometry, but a venues performance owes a lot to diffraction and interference patterns.

Either way, you gave a serious response which is far more than the OP deserves in all frank honesty.

I think the stadium acoustics take a lot of the blame for level of vocal support, it's obvious reading the replies that the sound just doesn't travel well around St Mary's. Unless you're right alongside the segregation, the home and away fans in the Northam barely hear each other. Those in the Itchen North say they barely hear Saints fans over in the Northam but they get the away fans full throttle. In the Kingsland North it's the opposite, that's why we've had different takes on our support against Arsenal being "pathetic/sh*te" by some but "electrifying" by others! If you're immediately in front of the singers it sounds loud (those saying "electrifying" are probably just round the corner from the Northam in the Kingsland), the aways mostly think our vocal support only comes from the Itchen North and is not very good. I know someone who watches from near the dugouts and he says the away fans always come across loudest.

This isn't a mystery, the Barr stadium builds like ours were known for poor acoustics, that's why the new stadiums that followed like the Ricoh made a big thing addressing the issue. West Ham are doing the same at the Olympic stadium. The sound seems to travel forwards OK but not sideways.

What does that even mean?

I get what he's saying. I like having a good sing song but sometimes without realising I'm just sat intensely watching the game and sometimes I haven't even moved for about 15 minutes.

I also thought the atmosphere around the ground was much better and louder against Arsenal than against Chelsea, that's probably due to the fact that we were all expecting a bit of a battering against Chelsea and being pensive.