Pathetic Support

Rasiak-9-

Good for you both (obviously I'm not directing criticism at the people who do actually sing and shout for the team)

I personally think it has a lot to do with a lack of songs. Aside from OWTS there's basically been nothing in the home matches since promotion to the Premiership, even the Lambert song died a death and sounded crap with just 'nah-nah-nah-nah-nah...' in the last two seasons. (May be wrong but I genuinely don't remember hearing it ever being sung with the actual words in a home match)

Likewise in this season, the only player songs that seem to exist are just ones that fit with Seven Nation Army, which sounds boring and repetitive and incredibly, incredibly stupid when we sing them for two players in the same game "Our Maya Yoshida/Sadio Mane" (The Jose Fonte song a notable exception even if we do mispronounce his name to get it in there).

Long story short, against Chelsea there wasn't an awful lot from our fans aside from applause for tackles and blocks (obviously no complaints there) but very few songs from what seems to be an increasingly small group of supporters in the Itchen North/decreasingly vocal Northam.

(I understand that when fans are in a nervous nailbiter it doesn't make for a rock-and-roll atmosphere quite the way it would if you're drawing with a club above you in the table and battering them as you push for a winner).

The one exception was the 'Johnson's Paint Trophy, you'll never win that' which was a brilliant comeback to the frustrated Chelsea fans bragging about their bought-and-paid-for glory; just a shame it was only sung by a small contingent in the Itchen North.

Long story short? Good support isn't vital but its nice to represent your home town with pride and passion. It sounds good, raises the profile of the club, intimidates opponents, generates love and loyalty from players and helps encourage good performances.

As I say, we can do better, we have done better in recent years (and are still very decent at away games especially in London).

Have you considered knocking the football on the head and taking up karaoke? I'm sure MLG can recommend a good gospel choir to join too.

The one exception was the 'Johnson's Paint Trophy, you'll never win that' which was a brilliant comeback to the frustrated Chelsea fans bragging about their bought-and-paid-for glory; just a shame it was only sung by a small contingent in the Itchen North.

Wrong this was sung by Northam and the Kingsland Corner which just about proves that the stadium doesn't echo the sound around, so unless you hear the guys nwext to you singing then you think its all quiet

personally id like a bit more of this sort of thing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifmTyTzuBo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbUVZM3RRWI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOoghyxbnVo

this would be just awful

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOoghyxbnVo

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqwBmFx3JA

i never tire of this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKJBJslIz8

Unfortunately we never have or ever will get anywhere near support like the South Americans or Turks/Eastern Europeans but England is now so far behind even the rest of Europe. This is a small Dutch club from a town the size of Eastleigh and regularly play in front of less the 10k. Apparently they get this level of support from both ends of the ground.

To think English support used to be admired.

We...

...do agree that this is ****ing epic right? That loud, passionate and vociferous support is pretty cool? No?

Because that question seems to be up in the air right now.

Have you considered knocking the football on the head and taking up karaoke? I'm sure MLG can recommend a good gospel choir to join too.

Star Trek answer

Thanks to concepts like linear time, it is possible to sing at grounds and sing at Karaoke, provided such things are done at different points in the linear timeline.

Saints angle

Many Karaoke DJ's will have "Oh When The Saints" at their disposal (maybe not the slow version). Popular songs can both be sung at Karaoke and be re-purposed as terrace chants, the same songs sung all over the league, the names changed to protect the unoriginal. There's crossover.

Unfortunately, no-one wants to handle the all time classic "My old man said be a Pompey fan". Not commercially viable. Yet another reason to say fúck off to capitalism, imo. Market forces keeping this disco stormer off the decks (arf).

Do you think loud noise and singing in support of your team at football is bad?

It can be, depending on what people are going for. There was a quiet chant I heard in Itchen North during QPR suggesting that Harry Redknapp should have died in a car crash. It didn't take off, and I'm glad it didn't. It'd be a poor reflection on our fans and the club if that rang from all corners of the stadium.

No problem with a couple of blokes trying to start it off and failing though. That tells its own tale.

We...

...do agree that this is ****ing epic right? That loud, passionate and vociferous support is pretty cool? No?

Because that question seems to be up in the air right now.

Absolutely. Would love to see Saints rocking like they do in, say, Turkey. I've been going to Saints games for nigh on 40 years and maybe it is for others to be vociferous now. But I do think that times have changed with the demise of terraces, not that we were ever like Besiktas. From a personal point of view, I now a days take my little boy who tells me off for swearing or my old man who has dementia. I'm in the middle of the Kingsland and my nipper looks at me in a funny way when I'm the only one around us singing (very badly I might add, so that's what he might be looking at me for). Me and my neighbour have a running "joke" about how long it takes for the anti-Pompey chants to start. One game this season it took 76 minutes, but vs Chelsea it was the more standard and started off after 1 min 35.

Yes SMS can be quiet, but it seems no different from any other home support in this country. I think if we could bring back the terraces, then things would change a bit. But to be honest I can't see that happening any time soon. The authorities use the excuse of safety but I suspect it is more to do with crowd control. The game I enjoyed most recently, was the away game in 2011 at Yeovil (not that I go to too many away games) because we were stood on the open terrace (being rained on). Back to how footie used to be.

Absolutely. Would love to see Saints rocking like they do in, say, Turkey. I've been going to Saints games for nigh on 40 years and maybe it is for others to be vociferous now. But I do think that times have changed with the demise of terraces, not that we were ever like Besiktas. From a personal point of view, I now a days take my little boy who tells me off for swearing or my old man who has dementia. I'm in the middle of the Kingsland and my nipper looks at me in a funny way when I'm the only one around us singing (very badly I might add, so that's what he might be looking at me for). Me and my neighbour have a running "joke" about how long it takes for the anti-Pompey chants to start. One game this season it took 76 minutes, but vs Chelsea it was the more standard and started off after 1 min 35.

Yes SMS can be quiet, but it seems no different from any other home support in this country. I think if we could bring back the terraces, then things would change a bit. But to be honest I can't see that happening any time soon. The authorities use the excuse of safety but I suspect it is more to do with crowd control. The game I enjoyed most recently, was the away game in 2011 at Yeovil (not that I go to too many away games) because we were stood on the open terrace (being rained on). Back to how footie used to be.

This confuses me. What other reason is there for crowd control besides safety?

I think everyone would like the ground to be noisier but I for one couldn't bear to be in the Northam surrounded by many idiots with their oh so witty songs. I can muster a Come on you reds for corners and occasional Oh when the saints but that is about it these days. Will happily shout abuse at opposition players and the ref/lino but cannot be arsed to sing all game.

Also think there can be a inverse relationship to how great a supporter a singer is - remember the singing lot in Milton Road joking away when we are losing as didn't seem to care as long as they get a humorous chant going and have a good old sing song they have had a good day out.

Chelsea wasn't too bad anyway. So not worthy of a thread being started. Anfield the following day was funny. Could hear the coaches and players yelling at each other was so quiet.

Being in Australia I only get to watch the games on TV and I have to say EVERY game you can hear the Saints fans in full voice. Be it away or at home it always makes me smile and feel 'proud' - I do hope this thread is a poor p1ss take because all you Saints fans can hold your heads up.

Long may it continue...

I'm a season ticket holder. I cheer encouragement, jeer the ref when he makes a poor decision, I shout with joy when we score. I don't sing or chant. I sit there and talk the game through with my fellow fans around me but on the whole I enjoy sitting and watching my team (and not singing or changing). Am I not a "real" fan?

Do you think loud noise and singing in support of your team at football is bad?

No. but melts moaning about it as though they themselves are the irrefutable blueprint for an uber fan gets on my wick. Support the team however you want. Those who buy a ticket and don't feel the need to practice their x factor voice should be left to get on with it.

That said, anyone leaving early is a c**t.;)

Edited by Goatboy

Good for you both (obviously I'm not directing criticism at the people who do actually sing and shout for the team)

I personally think it has a lot to do with a lack of songs. Aside from OWTS there's basically been nothing in the home matches since promotion to the Premiership, even the Lambert song died a death and sounded crap with just 'nah-nah-nah-nah-nah...' in the last two seasons. (May be wrong but I genuinely don't remember hearing it ever being sung with the actual words in a home match)

Likewise in this season, the only player songs that seem to exist are just ones that fit with Seven Nation Army, which sounds boring and repetitive and incredibly, incredibly stupid when we sing them for two players in the same game "Our Maya Yoshida/Sadio Mane" (The Jose Fonte song a notable exception even if we do mispronounce his name to get it in there).

Long story short, against Chelsea there wasn't an awful lot from our fans aside from applause for tackles and blocks (obviously no complaints there) but very few songs from what seems to be an increasingly small group of supporters in the Itchen North/decreasingly vocal Northam.

(I understand that when fans are in a nervous nailbiter it doesn't make for a rock-and-roll atmosphere quite the way it would if you're drawing with a club above you in the table and battering them as you push for a winner).

Long story short? Good support isn't vital but its nice to represent your home town with pride and passion. It sounds good, raises the profile of the club, intimidates opponents, generates love and loyalty from players and helps encourage good performances.

As I say, we can do better, we have done better in recent years (and are still very decent at away games especially in London).

Johnstones paint trophy song was sang in northam as well, quite loud. The acoustics of the stadium mean that the northam and itchen north can't hear each other very well, so it's no surprise you thought the atmosphere was poor. Watch it back again, the live recording - not highlights as they edit the sound levels.

All that jumping up and down looks great and hopefully the noise would increase, but there are down sides to it....

You'll need more toilet facilities as all that activity will "get the bowel system working" .... half the crowd will make their way to the concourse even earlier pre half time.

Loud noise is ok but no flares and certainly no drums or band please.

I asked a couple of players once if the support made any difference and they said they were too busy concentrating on the game to notice. However that was a very small sample. It was good to see Pellè geeing up the crowd in the second half last Sunday.

Johnstones paint trophy song was sang in northam as well, quite loud. The acoustics of the stadium mean that the northam and itchen north can't hear each other very well, so it's no surprise you thought the atmosphere was poor. Watch it back again, the live recording - not highlights as they edit the sound levels.

The song itself was funny about three years ago. We sing it EVERY time we play Chelsea.

Loud noise is ok but no flares and certainly no drums or band please.

I asked a couple of players once if the support made any difference and they said they were too busy concentrating on the game to notice. However that was a very small sample. It was good to see Pellè geeing up the crowd in the second half last Sunday.

I ****ing hate the "ultras" thing, one of the most embarrassing trends in modern football and marks your club out as two bit, you'd never see Man United or Leeds away support dressing up as Ultras and pretending to be Italian.

Much rather have a proper old fashioned support, though we've lost that since we got to the premier league.

Always thought "We won it one time, we've won it one time, the Johnstons Paint Trophy, We've won it one time" Was the best version of that song, especially in response to the scousers singing the 5 times version for the European Cup.

I ****ing hate the "ultras" thing, one of the most embarrassing trends in modern football and marks your club out as two bit, you'd never see Man United or Leeds away support dressing up as Ultras and pretending to be Italian.

Much rather have a proper old fashioned support, though we've lost that since we got to the premier league.

Very well said, not a fan of the whole Ultras fad at all. Can't believe Rangers of all clubs have got something going like that now.

I think everyone would like the ground to be noisier but I for one couldn't bear to be in the Northam surrounded by many idiots with their oh so witty songs. I can muster a Come on you reds for corners and occasional Oh when the saints but that is about it these days. Will happily shout abuse at opposition players and the ref/lino but cannot be arsed to sing all game.

Also think there can be a inverse relationship to how great a supporter a singer is - remember the singing lot in Milton Road joking away when we are losing as didn't seem to care as long as they get a humorous chant going and have a good old sing song they have had a good day out.

Chelsea wasn't too bad anyway. So not worthy of a thread being started. Anfield the following day was funny. Could hear the coaches and players yelling at each other was so quiet.

I usually come back from matches fairly hoarse, but I certainly don’t join in with every song. I’m not interested in the über-fan debate: each to his own, I say. However, the highlighted part of your post reminds me a bit of something that happened in the 70s.

Back then, I travelled to and from matches on the Red Funnel ferry. A chap I’d gone to the same school with, invariably, travelled on the same ferry. Try as I might to avoid him, he usually tracked me down and plonked himself next to me, which was unfortunate, because, to put it politely, he was a ****ing nutcase.

His idea of ‘supporting the lads’ was to get into a ruck with as many opposition supporters as possible. He would mock me for simply wanting to watch a game of football, and say that I wasn’t ‘a proper supporter like wot he was’. Funnily enough, though, the only Saints’ player he could actually name was Mick Channon.

Anyway, one day I was on the ferry back from the match, and, as usual, he turned up with bloodied knuckles, swollen eye and split lip, and, as usual, proceeded to spend the next half-hour giving me rhyme-and-verse of his day ‘supporting the lads’. Eventually, I managed to turn the discussion around to the football, and he said: ‘that was a ****ing beauty Micky scored!’

I had neither the heart nor the stomach to tell him that Mick Channon had been transferred to Man City in the close season.

No. but melts moaning about it as though they themselves are the irrefutable blueprint for an uber fan gets on my wick. Support the team however you want. Those who buy a ticket and don't feel the need to practice their x factor voice should be left to get on with it.

That said, anyone leaving early is a c**t.;)

How old are you and where on earth have you picked up the word 'melt'? :rolleyes:

Halo Stickman has inspired me to share my story, though it's different. A variation on a theme, you might say.

I sit and watch games with a friend and his dad. The three of us are dedicated Saints fans - we've done the trips to Newcastle, Sunderland, Carlisle, Hartlepool, all that. What we like to do is sit and actually watch games. Admire the quality of the play, the players and the match itself.

Two seats to my right however are two skin-headed gentlemen that like nothing more than to call the referee a c*nt when a decision is given against us, getting up out of their seats to yell and slam the seats with their fists when they don't like what they see. When a pigeon flew close to them last season, one of them tried to punch it out of the air. It's also hilarious to tell people as loudly as possible to 'sit down' when they walk up and down the steps.

Behind me and slightly to my right is a man who loves to do nothing more than complain. Every single thing he sees, no matter how well we're doing, isn't the right thing to be doing in his book. Every referee decision is 'the worst I've ever seen in 30 years' and Saints players 'need to use the ball more'. To his right there are two younger fans who are unfortunately for them lectured with his words of 'wisdom' week after week. They look as if they want the ground to open up and swallow them whole, just to get away from him. He was still complaining when we were 6 - 0 up against Sunderland.

Immediately behind me is a man who thinks singing is the most important thing at a game. Unfortunately he can't sing. His tone deaf shrieks make my skin crawl, but I realise this isn't a choir and everyone should be note-for-note perfect. He's also one of the ones that will call opposition players and the referee every name under the sun. Against Manchester United, he was so carried away at our equaliser, jumping up and down with such vigour that he actually fell on top of me and the person to my right. To save his embarrassment he turned it into a celebration, putting his arm around us both and in my case my neck. I took it off and he started berating me, saying that he sits behind me every week, we're like brothers. Why can't we have fun. All I want to do is watch the game, but it carries on and on.

I really do feel at times that some people turn up just to have a moan or complain, or to act like idiots because they can't get away with it anywhere else. The thing is though, they will say that they're 'passionate' or 'showing how much they love the team' when they get so 'emotional'. Are they?

Halo Stickman has inspired me to share my story, though it's different. A variation on a theme, you might say.

I sit and watch games with a friend and his dad. The three of us are dedicated Saints fans - we've done the trips to Newcastle, Sunderland, Carlisle, Hartlepool, all that. What we like to do is sit and actually watch games. Admire the quality of the play, the players and the match itself.

Two seats to my right however are two skin-headed gentlemen that like nothing more than to call the referee a c*nt when a decision is given against us, getting up out of their seats to yell and slam the seats with their fists when they don't like what they see. When a pigeon flew close to them last season, one of them tried to punch it out of the air. It's also hilarious to tell people as loudly as possible to 'sit down' when they walk up and down the steps.

Behind me and slightly to my right is a man who loves to do nothing more than complain. Every single thing he sees, no matter how well we're doing, isn't the right thing to be doing in his book. Every referee decision is 'the worst I've ever seen in 30 years' and Saints players 'need to use the ball more'. To his right there are two younger fans who are unfortunately for them lectured with his words of 'wisdom' week after week. They look as if they want the ground to open up and swallow them whole, just to get away from him. He was still complaining when we were 6 - 0 up against Sunderland.

Immediately behind me is a man who thinks singing is the most important thing at a game. Unfortunately he can't sing. His tone deaf shrieks make my skin crawl, but I realise this isn't a choir and everyone should be note-for-note perfect. He's also one of the ones that will call opposition players and the referee every name under the sun. Against Manchester United, he was so carried away at our equaliser, jumping up and down with such vigour that he actually fell on top of me and the person to my right. To save his embarrassment he turned it into a celebration, putting his arm around us both and in my case my neck. I took it off and he started berating me, saying that he sits behind me every week, we're like brothers. Why can't we have fun. All I want to do is watch the game, but it carries on and on.

I really do feel at times that some people turn up just to have a moan or complain, or to act like idiots because they can't get away with it anywhere else. The thing is though, they will say that they're 'passionate' or 'showing how much they love the team' when they get so 'emotional'. Are they?

What's your point? Apart from some football fans clearly being idiots?

What's your point? Apart from some football fans clearly being idiots?

I think the general point is the same as others have already said, the idea of what constitutes 'good support' is down to the individual. I don't find screaming and shouting is good support, whereas others think it's a very good idea.

Take Palace for example. Their fans in that corner section of one of their stands with the banners, the 90 minutes of singing the same tune, is that good support? I find it quite boring to be honest. As I do with chants like 'feed the scousers' 'Johnstone's Paint Trophy, you'll never win that' and who could forget, 'Steeeeeve'.

But yeah I think a lot of people are stupid too.

I think the general point is the same as others have already said, the idea of what constitutes 'good support' is down to the individual. I don't find screaming and shouting is good support, whereas others think it's a very good idea.

Take Palace for example. Their fans in that corner section of one of their stands with the banners, the 90 minutes of singing the same tune, is that good support? I find it quite boring to be honest. As I do with chants like 'feed the scousers' 'Johnstone's Paint Trophy, you'll never win that' and who could forget, 'Steeeeeve'.

Whilst those examples are all a bit boring, they're still going to be better than 90 mins of silence.

Sorry you find a good few of our songs boring. Feel free to start something you do like.

I will be digging out all sorts of not very well known Happy New Year songs to sing tomorrow, hope you like these :)

Edited by Bucks Saint

It's already been touched upon, but part of the reason is the lack of songs since we've got back up. The songs we had chasing promotion were good for volume, we're now mostly restricted to the sluggish OWTS rendition (OK occasionally and sounds good when all stands join in) and a few skate ones (which ain't for me).

But my gripe ain't really about singing so much as just lack of any noise, I find it amazing that some can manage to just sit on their hands

and never raise their voices, there's nothing like a blood-curdling roar to get everyone going.

I'd love SMS to be a gnarly ol' bearpit but that ain't never gonna happen :p

This.

It's already been touched upon, but part of the reason is the lack of songs since we've got back up. The songs we had chasing promotion were good for volume, we're now mostly restricted to the sluggish OWTS rendition (OK occasionally and sounds good when all stands join in) and a few skate ones (which ain't for me).

But my gripe ain't really about singing so much as just lack of any noise, I find it amazing that some can manage to just sit on their hands

and never raise their voices, there's nothing like a blood-curdling roar to get everyone going.

I'd love SMS to be a gnarly ol' bearpit but that ain't never gonna happen :p

I can only remember a handful of games since promotion where we've got all the stands going, and they were all in our first season back. The 3-1 win over Liverpool was particularly good

I can only remember a handful of games since promotion where we've got all the stands going, and they were all in our first season back. The 3-1 win over Liverpool was particularly good

The City and Chelsea games that season were decent too (only sing when we're winning?) Everton was good this year but I think that was down to the ref getting the fans riled

Sorry you find a good few of our songs boring. Feel free to start something you do like.

I will be digging out all sorts of not very well known Happy New Year songs to sing tomorrow, hope you like these :)

Don't forget, you've more than a single brain cell, make sure to use all of them when imagining up these chants of yours.

Sat in the Itchen (block 3) today and only heard the Kingsland corner / Northam a couple of times. Whereas I thought the Itchen gave good voice today, but probably couldn't be heard by the Northam/ Kingslan

Why do I mention this? Well I'm advocating that we have the whole Northem end for Saints singers and move the away fans .