Update from Les Reed on Saints

Lallana's Left Peg

One of them articles where the headlines don't match the quotes IMO i.e. "Southampton won't accept offers for forward Jay Rodriguez or midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin this summer", is conspicuous in absense

Noted this quote ...it wouldn't be our intention to sell any of our players this summer....Les Reed

........is another way of saying - unless someone makes an offer we can't refuse ........and that might well happen.

'Rolling the dice' with youngsters. What exactly do you mean by that, because it just sounds like some bullsh*t metaphor for chucking kids randomly into the team and hoping they might be good enough. The fact is that they aren't; yet. However a lot of young players have their first taste of Premier League experience and playing in front of a capacity crowd, which is a promising milestone.

Let's have a look at the players who have made it into the first team, regularly, from the academy in the last 10 years.

Chelsea - Nobody - Terry is the last player I can remember

Man City - Nobody - SWP the last I can remember

Man Utd - Welbeck - Left because he didn't get much game time.

Liverpool - Sterling

Arsenal - Gibbs, Wilshere, Fabregas - Gibbs joined when he was 15, Cesc 16

Saints - Walcott, AOC, Bale, Surman, McGoldrick, Best, Blackstock, Gillett, James, Chambers, Shaw, Lallana, JWP.

plus of course.. Nathan Dyer has played over 200 games for Swansea.

Mike Williamson has played a few games for Newcastle too. I think he came into the Academy from Torquay. I also seem to remember when the PA Announcer tried to intruduce him to the fans at the Dell, he forgot his name. He was later released by us and went on to Wycombe I believe.

Mike Williamson has played a few games for Newcastle too. I think he came into the Academy from Torquay. I also seem to remember when the PA Announcer tried to intruduce him to the fans at the Dell, he forgot his name. He was later released by us and went on to Wycombe I believe.

That was against arsenal, but was Garry Monk.

"Number 25…… Monk" 

Whenever I hear people criticise our lack of academy players making appearances this season in comparison with previous years, I always think how many other clubs could have three first team regular academy products (Lallana, Shaw, Chambers) taken from them and still have any even close to the squad let alone one fairly regular (JWP) and one regularly on the bench (Reed). On top of that we had Gape, Seager, Hesketh, (maybe one i've missed?) all make substitute appearances and if it wasn't for his injury Gallagher would've probably been used as well. I think it's amazing we can even field one academy player with what happened to us last summer, i'm sure we'll see more inclusion next year.

Whenever I hear people criticise our lack of academy players making appearances this season in comparison with previous years, I always think how many other clubs could have three first team regular academy products (Lallana, Shaw, Chambers) taken from them and still have any even close to the squad let alone one fairly regular (JWP) and one regularly on the bench (Reed). On top of that we had Gape, Seager, Hesketh, (maybe one i've missed?) all make substitute appearances and if it wasn't for his injury Gallagher would've probably been used as well. I think it's amazing we can even field one academy player with what happened to us last summer, i'm sure we'll see more inclusion next year.

Don't forget Targett and McCarthy.

Williamson joined Saints when he was 18 years old, its pushing it to say he was a Saints academy product.

That is a very good point.

There were 9 players with "first team experience" in the team that won the u21 premier league cup! Not too bad imo

I'd ditch the league cup, play reserves

If we make Europe then we should. Make it obvious so nobody feels let down going along to matches, play the young lads and make it free entry to season ticket holders/fiver for others to get the kids used to playing competitive games in front of big crowds. It's never done Arsenal any harm.

If we make Europe then we should. Make it obvious so nobody feels let down going along to matches, play the young lads and make it free entry to season ticket holders/fiver for others to get the kids used to playing competitive games in front of big crowds. It's never done Arsenal any harm.

Aren't we legally obliged to field our strongest teams?

That was against arsenal, but was Garry Monk.

"Number 25…… Monk"

It was Garry Monk and it was at St Mary's (21st October 2001), but aside from that, Mike Williamson at the Dell was spot on. :D

Weird thing about Mike Williamson was that despite going to plenty of matches between 2001 and 2005 and being au fait with the likes of Jacinto Ela Eyene, Ryan Ashford and Adrian Caceres I only found out Willamson was even ex-Saints some time around 2009 on here. Checking Soccerbase, that's because he didn't even make a sub appearance for the first team and we loaned him to Torquay, Doncaster and Wycombe whilst in the Premier League.

Saints would only get a bye through the 2nd round of the League Cup.

As in, "wouldn't need to play until the third round"? What you posted wasn't very clear (there's the possibility of a missing "to" completely changing the meaning and the phrase used is unconventional enough to imply that's what you meant).

Getting an extra bye isn't to be sniffed at anyway, means we wouldn't have to play in the League Cup until the 3rd week of September and there are only 32 teams left by then. 3 wins and a two-legged semi-final victory and we'd be at Wembley.

As in, "wouldn't need to play until the third round"? What you posted wasn't very clear (there's the possibility of a missing "to" completely changing the meaning and the phrase used is unconventional enough to imply that's what you meant).

They will start in the 3rd round of the League Cup, if they are in European competition.

Well he is hardly going say publically that saints are open for business.

roll up roll up, it all must go, Kat wants her money - kind of gives out the wrong message.

we will sell Morgan and Clyne and maybe J rod, if someone is daft enough to pay.

Still living in the past I see

Mmmm...who decides what is the strongest team?

.......The manager, of course...and he selects the best players for each game depending on the oppositions strengths / weaknesses and our own on-form / fit players.

According to the FA cup rules for 2014-2015:

15. PROVISIONS CONCERNING PLAYERS

(a) Each team participating in a match shall represent the full available strength of each competing Club.

According to the League Cup Rules for 2014-2015:

6.5 Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Cup Competition matches, unless some satisfactory reason is given. The Board will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes ‘full available strength’. In the event of the explanation not being deemed satisfactory the Management Committee shall have power to impose such penalties as they shall think fit. The provisions governing disciplinary matters in relation to the Competition are contained in Rule 23.

In attempting to find what the policy is I could only find this two year old article which has some information (don't be confused--the article refers to both the NBA's San Antonio Spurs and Tottenham):

http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/regulation-a-governance/item/resting-players-and-squad-rotation-comparing-english-football-and-the-nba

If the article is right anyone one registered on the 25 man roster or an under-21 is good enough to play without getting into trouble.

The Premier League did weaken its version of the rules after fining Blackpool a few years ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/15/premier-league-weakened-teams-holloway