Sam Gallagher loan - good idea ..or ?

david in sweden

Ben Reeves linked with a load of Championship teams yesterday, reckon he will play PL at some stage.

Re Gallagher L1 probably his level just now. Great chance for him to get games and goals.

MK Dons were promoted to the NPC. ;)

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

CONFIRMED: #SaintsFC youngster @SamGallagher40 has joined Championship side @MKDonsFC on a season-long loan.

good move. they play good football.

I hope they dont get pasted every week and he gets a chance to shine

Good move.

Good club, good level of football, good manager and a good squad.

Agree with what was said above, massive season for him. Hope it goes well.

Couldn't agree more. He'll need time to settle in because he's had a lot of upheaval in the last 12-15 months but should do well once that happens. He'll need a good season because Saints are very strong in forward areas. However, Pelle will need replacing over the next 2-3 years so a chance for Sam to put himself at the head of the queue.

Just spoken to Sam, he's very positive about the move and looking forward to playing Rotherham on Saturday week. Plus it's good that he already knows Cody Cropper and Ben Reeves, which will help him settle. MK Dons have made him feel really welcome and the manager has told him he is looking forward to working with him in training and improving him. I told him to bang a few goals in and come back a better player. There is no doubt it's a big jump between U21 and the Premiership and these sort of loans are vital for the youngsters. Would not be surprised to see a few others from that U21 final side seek loan moves over the next few weeks.

Just spoken to Sam, he's very positive about the move and looking forward to playing Rotherham on Saturday week. Plus it's good that he already knows Cody Cropper and Ben Reeves, which will help him settle. MK Dons have made him feel really welcome and the manager has told him he is looking forward to working with him in training and improving him. I told him to bang a few goals in and come back a better player. There is no doubt it's a big jump between U21 and the Premiership and these sort of loans are vital for the youngsters. Would not be surprised to see a few others from that U21 final side seek loan moves over the next few weeks.

Cheers for sharing. Totally agree about the loan moves being good for them.

With Caulker arriving and perhaps another to follow, I wouldn't be surprised to see Turnball and/or Stephens going out to the championship.

Could do a lot worse than going to the MK Dons as well.

Cheers for that insight FF. Do you know if Sam instigated the move or whether it was primarily the club's idea?

I agree, loans are very helpful. I did read a season or so back that the club didn't really like loaning out players, they preferred to look after them in house. But when you get to the level we're at now, it's hard for them to really get a look in....so you risk the situation of them stagnating and not getting any exposure. Loans are not a bad deal at all and more often than not, you see a better player back at the club for it.

Cheers for sharing. Totally agree about the loan moves being good for them.

With Caulker arriving and perhaps another to follow, I wouldn't be surprised to see Turnball and/or Stephens going out to the championship.

Could do a lot worse than going to the MK Dons as well.

I think Stephens will stay, the club have been impressed with him following his return from Swindon.

I think Stephens will stay, the club have been impressed with him following his return from Swindon.

Turnbull (Championship) and McCarthy (probs L1) most likely to go out.

Stephens can also cover defensive midfield and RB so could be a handy iption, but if we get another CB then maybe its also better for him to get games somewhere as he probably wouldn't make the bench for us and is beyond tame U21s football.

Has he been giving any assurances on likelihood to start? I don't know their squad well enough to know if they have a real need for a CF.

I agree, loans are very helpful. I did read a season or so back that the club didn't really like loaning out players, they preferred to look after them in house. But when you get to the level we're at now, it's hard for them to really get a look in....so you risk the situation of them stagnating and not getting any exposure. Loans are not a bad deal at all and more often than not, you see a better player back at the club for it.

Les Reed stated very clearly a year or so ago that we were not interested in sending young players out on loan. It was much better for them to stay at the club and learn. Shortly afterwards Stephens went to Swindon.

Les Reed stated very clearly a year or so ago that we were not interested in sending young players out on loan. It was much better for them to stay at the club and learn. Shortly afterwards Stephens went to Swindon.

I suppose it gets to a position in the clubs growth whereby Loans are a better option. Down in the NPC/L1, it's a little less forgiving and easier to integrate young players. But as we move up the PL and establish ourselves as a top half team, we need a bigger and bigger squad of experienced international-level players if we intend to compete in all fronts, and whilst some of the young lads are good enough and will be in and around, some will need to get game time at a lower level to ensure they don't stagnate.

I think it's the best move in our current situation. It's seemingly worked wonders for Stephens as the club are speaking so highly of how he's returned this pre-season.

I suppose it gets to a position in the clubs growth whereby Loans are a better option. Down in the NPC/L1, it's a little less forgiving and easier to integrate young players. But as we move up the PL and establish ourselves as a top half team, we need a bigger and bigger squad of experienced international-level players if we intend to compete in all fronts, and whilst some of the young lads are good enough and will be in and around, some will need to get game time at a lower level to ensure they don't stagnate.

I think it's the best move in our current situation. It's seemingly worked wonders for Stephens as the club are speaking so highly of how he's returned this pre-season.

We had been in the PL for a while when he said it. Sadly what Les says does not always stack up with reality.

I tend to find the ones we send out on loan tend to be the ones we're trying to help find a new club, though Isgrove still being around hits that theory a bit. Stephens and Turnbull might yet go out again, though the CB gap may mean one or both of them stays until we sign another CB.

I tend to find the ones we send out on loan tend to be the ones we're trying to help find a new club, though Isgrove still being around hits that theory a bit. Stephens and Turnbull might yet go out again, though the CB gap may mean one or both of them stays until we sign another CB.

Isgrove's status as a club trained player in a year we qualified for Europe guaranteed that he would stay with the club unless, as I have said before, he was literally worse than nothing. This does not mean he will not be good enough it just means his presence was inevitable.

Isgrove's status as a club trained player in a year we qualified for Europe guaranteed that he would stay with the club unless, as I have said before, he was literally worse than nothing. This does not mean he will not be good enough it just means his presence was inevitable.

Yeah, I'm not really liking the edging towards stockpiling English/Welsh players to meet quotas thing - though he was good enough to start the first game of the season at Anfield last August.

• 2 weeks later...