Koeman is a genius

Singapore Saint

No seriously he is. The team he picked yesterday was with the Wednesday game in mind. He was resting/protecting Cedric and Tadic, and giving match practice to JWP and Long. Best chance of silverware and all that sort of thing, no?

Great optimism, let's hope that is the case! Would love a cup final. Cup final and top 10 finish would be great.

Saw in the paper yesterday that the lowest any Premier League team has finished after being top (as of yesterday morning) is sixth, suggesting Leicester may well now be nailed on for that spare Europa spot - I think they'll finish seventh.

So really it is about the cups and rightly we are going for it.

Saw in the paper yesterday that the lowest any Premier League team has finished after being top (as of yesterday morning) is sixth, suggesting Leicester may well now be nailed on for that spare Europa spot - I think they'll finish seventh.

So really it is about the cups and rightly we are going for it.

Quite.

We are not going to finish above United, City, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool. We probably won't finish above Chelsea and it's 50/50 at best if we finish above Leicester (although Leicester must have some tough fixtures coming up - they seem to play bottom half teams most weeks and they have also had loads of luck, from what I've seen) and Everton.

So, feck the league, lets try to win something.

Quite.

We are not going to finish above United, City, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool. We probably won't finish above Chelsea and it's 50/50 at best if we finish above Leicester (although Leicester must have some tough fixtures coming up - they seem to play bottom half teams most weeks and they have also had loads of luck, from what I've seen) and Everton.

So, feck the league, lets try to win something.

That's what many other fans said about us this time last season. And they have definitely punished the lower half of the league so far. Which is what they'd be hoping to do. Got turned over by Arsenal, but have now picked up draws at both WHL and Old Trafford. Not to mention tearing us apart for 45 minutes to get a point at St Mary's. Good on them I say. We'd be doing pretty well to finish above them at this rate.

That's what many other fans said about us this time last season. And they have definitely punished the lower half of the league so far. Which is what they'd be hoping to do. Got turned over by Arsenal, but have now picked up draws at both WHL and Old Trafford. Not to mention tearing us apart for 45 minutes to get a point at St Mary's. Good on them I say. We'd be doing pretty well to finish above them at this rate.

Did they not play at Leicester yesterday is it still Filbert street or have they moved?

I am not sure that he is a genius but he clearly is a decent manager. Not that you would know it looking at some of the comments on the match thread. If he chose a team for Saturday with an eye to giving us our best chance against Liverpool I don't have a problem with that.

Mourinho is a great Manager and Ferguson was an absolutely outstanding Manager.

But they still do/did things that are questionable.

I think Koeman got it wrong yesterday and cost us the chance of potentially picking up points.

But I still think he is doing a great job for us overall.

It is possible to separate single moments from the overview view, SOG.

I think Koeman got it wrong yesterday and cost us the chance of potentially picking up points.

Nuance isn't his thing.

RK sees the players every day and should be able to assess them far better than we can.We may not agree with his team choice but when was the last time you saw a Manager posting views/opinions on here? We were unlucky yesterday.Had Virgils shot not hit the crossbar, had he got his arse out of the way for the deflection we could have drawn or won that game.Managers fault? I think not.

RK sees the players every day and should be able to assess them far better than we can.We may not agree with his team choice but when was the last time you saw a Manager posting views/opinions on here? We were unlucky yesterday.Had Virgils shot not hit the crossbar, had he got his arse out of the way for the deflection we could have drawn or won that game.Managers fault? I think not.

We were soundly beaten on the whole. Definitely not unlucky overall. Davis could easily have been sent off in the first half and City had as many close moments as we did to score other goals.

He picked Yoshida, who was at fault for two of the three goals. Anyone picking that idiot deserves the blame.

I haven't forgiven him for the europa league selections and tactics yet, so hoping that he's got some genius move to get back into the europa league next season seems optimistic.

I trust you and WhiteyGrandad both feel the same way about Wanyama (if so, fair enough).

we shouldnt need wanyama to beat mittyland

their who side cost less than juanmi

You could apply that logic to *any* player. I'm not really sure what your point is (as per usual) - if one can be critical of Koeman's team selection/formation, one can be equally critical of Wanyama for ruling himself out of contention.

You could apply that logic to *any* player. I'm not really sure what your point is (as per usual) - if one can be critical of Koeman's team selection/formation, one can be equally critical of Wanyama for ruling himself out of contention.

Not really. We should have beaten them, we had a big enough and strong enough squad to beat them regardless of Wanyama. The manager picked an odd team with an odd approach and we were dreadful.

To be honest I don't know what your point is.

how can you not be sure what my point it.

it is pretty clear, ffs

Not really. We should have beaten them, we had a big enough and strong enough squad to beat them regardless of Wanyama. The manager picked an odd team with an odd approach and we were dreadful.

To be honest I don't know what your point is.

Merely that Wanyama negatively influenced team selection at a time when we needed him. I'm not suggesting that that mitigates Koeman's selection/tactics (nor am I under the delusion that we would've necessarily won if Wanyama was playing), i.e. I'm just critical of both.

P.S Reference "needed", you and Batman think otherwise (which is fine of course), but I disagree. Romeu had just arrived, Clasie was injured, Davis is no CM, and many on here would argue that Prowse isn't either. Ergo, we needed Wanyama (imo).

how can you not be sure what my point it.

it is pretty clear, ffs

Because my initial point was about the principle of Wanyama's decision not to make himself available for selection, and *not* whether or not we needed him (although I've subsequently made my views on that known). I obviously understood the words, but not why you were countering an argument I wasn't making (at the time), i.e. the validity of Wanyama's decision is not dependent on whether we need him or not. Perhaps I should've said, "I don't see how that's applicable" (rather than 'I don't see your point').

All that being said, if you/anyone truly believes that we didn't need Wanyama, then I guess his withdrawal wouldn't catch such a scrutinous gaze (as it does mine), because you're of the position that it didn't affect the outcome whatsoever.

Oh, and ffs :rolleyes:

Edited by Donatello

Because my initial point was about the principle of Wanyama's decision not to make himself available for selection, and *not* whether or not we needed him (although I've subsequently made my views on that known). I obviously understood the words, but not why you were countering an argument I wasn't making (at the time), i.e. the validity of Wanyama's decision is not dependent on whether we need him or not. Perhaps I should've said, "I don't see how that's applicable" (rather than 'I don't see your point').

All that being said, if you/anyone truly believes that we didn't need Wanyama, then I guess his withdrawal wouldn't catch such a scrutinous gaze (as it does mine), because you're of the position that it didn't affect the outcome whatsoever.

Oh, and ffs :rolleyes:

Gawd know's what point you're making.

That doesn't really fit. Wanyama was being a ****, so that's not forgotten of course, but he isn't the manager and didn't pick that team. The long ball tactics were absolutely baffling, just sheer stupidity. You don't take on a limited team and deliberately sink to their level, playing directly into their hands. It was the most infuriating match I've seen in years.

I agree with everything you've said :) I was just taking the opportunity (your talking of forgiveness) to recall that Wanyama put him in a bind/didn't make it any easier for us, and I don't think he should be forgiven for that either (not that you necessarily needed reminding...I was just thinking about that period).

I don't disagree with you and all managers make mistakes at times. There do seem to be some people here who are losing faith in Koeman though and I do find that strange.

I don't disagree with you and all managers make mistakes at times. There do seem to be some people here who are losing faith in Koeman though and I do find that strange.

I'm not losing faith in him and I think he has done a fantastic job overall but I do think he makes some very strange decisions at times which appear to really hurt us. We're obviously not armed with all the facts he is in making his decisions but if we are to take his public comments at face value that he will not play Mane and Cedric in the same side when Mane is deployed on the right then basically we're going to end up playing Yoshida at right back for quite a few games this season. The only games we won't will be when Mane plays behind Pelle and Davis plays on the right - but that means one of Romeu or JWP plays next to Wanyama and I don't think Koeman truly fancies either of them there. It's a problem.

No seriously he is. The team he picked yesterday was with the Wednesday game in mind. He was resting/protecting Cedric and Tadic, and giving match practice to JWP and Long. Best chance of silverware and all that sort of thing, no?

I thought it was fairly obvious we were focusing on Wednesday... from the moment we got on the pitch, which is why it only took 20 minutes to go 2-0 down. To City's credit they also realised this and completely stopped trying for about 45 minutes after scoring their second.

I assume Cedric's complete absence from the squad is somehow concussion-related.

better team. liverpool are fantastic at the moment. can't be expecting to play caulker or muck about with wanyama playing at CB when you're playing against possibly the best attacking team , in great form, at the moment.

they bossed the midfield also with lucas can and allen. clasie davis just ain't cut out for it.