January Hcdajfu time?

simo

You might be surprised then. If VVD keeps putting in performances like he has so far i dont doubt it for a second that Arsenal comes in sooner then people might think. VVD has been linked with Arsenal already a few times when he played at Celtic and according to rumors they even put in a last minute bid on him in the summer of 2014 after they sold Vermaelen to Barca and Celtic removed Virgil from the squad for a week because he wanted to go.

Virgil is still only 24 and there arent a lot of defenders that put in better performances as he does. And i dont know about you but i take him over Mertesacker any day. I hope he stays and i think players should always stay at least 2 years at a club but i expect its going to be just a matter of time.

No way will Koeman let him go next summer IMO.

Surely about the one thing we don't need to do is replace Yoshida. He is already the more than competent backup for the left sided CB, either in a 4 or a 3. We also have Gardos for the right side, once he is fit again. With Stephens and Turnbull coming through as well, the CB position with Bertrand showing he is well capable of playing on left of a 3 is the one area where additions and not only not needed but highly unlikely. Just so long as we get proper backup for Cedric, so that there is never ever a reason for Ronald to play Yoshida at RB again, we do not need to replace Yoshida. Besides how can you replace the irreplaceable?

so competent that a Left Back plays ahead of him

he is terrible.

what other top 10 club would buy Yoshida from us? None is the answer

Surely about the one thing we don't need to do is replace Yoshida. He is already the more than competent backup for the left sided CB, either in a 4 or a 3. We also have Gardos for the right side, once he is fit again. With Stephens and Turnbull coming through as well, the CB position with Bertrand showing he is well capable of playing on left of a 3 is the one area where additions and not only not needed but highly unlikely. Just so long as we get proper backup for Cedric, so that there is never ever a reason for Ronald to play Yoshida at RB again, we do not need to replace Yoshida. Besides how can you replace the irreplaceable?

Disagree completely about Yoshida. Been a liability this season.

Are you taking the ****! Hes a ******* liability = never want to see him in a SFC again.

Gotta disagree, yeah he's not the best right back but as a 3rd/4th choice cb option in the bpl he's actually pretty damn good. Our 3rd choice CB If it is indeed Yoshida and not Gardos when fit then it's much much better than our 2nd choice right back. When played in the right position he's actually a very capable player. But then again so does anyone who lines up next to Fonte

Yes, he has because he's played more often than not at RB. The same problem as when he first joined, he was awful at RB, and blinkered people stuck with that view for years (still do). He is ****ing awful at RB, no two ways about it.

MARIO SUAREZ POISED FOR WATFORD MEDICAL

Fiorentina defender Mario Suarez is set to arrive in the UK tonight ahead of undergoing a medical at Watford tomorrow, Sky sources understand.

We understand the fee to be €5.5m euros (£4.1m) and the former Atletico Madrid man will sign a three-and-a-half-year deal, subject to successfully completing his medical.

Mario Suarez to Watford - £4.1m on a 3.5 year contract. Good deal, wouldn't have minded him here...

Who would you replace? He's a defensive midfielder so would be challenging Wanyama, Clasie and Romeu? It's very easy to get carried away with other teams signing players, especially in January, but I wonder how many are actually good signings at least in terms of value. Austin is one, but how many others?

Looking at Suarez it's all a bit weird. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mario-suarez/profil/spieler/37337 says he signed for Fiorentina on 22/7/15 for £10.5m, but half a season later he gets sold for 40% of what they paid for him having played but 9 Serie A games. Why?

Haven't we already done that (J-rod Clyne)? It's not exactly a new thing Arsenal did it to us with Oxo and Walcott. I think the whole Spurs transfer policy/ youth thing in the media is a bit over the top at the moment (as was the saints black box stuff last season). I'm pretty sure Spurs haven't just hit on the idea of scouting promising youngsters from the lower leagues and no other clubs have thought of doing it before.

Haven't we already done that (J-rod Clyne)? It's not exactly a new thing Arsenal did it to us with Oxo and Walcott. I think the whole Spurs transfer policy/ youth thing in the media is a bit over the top at the moment (as was the saints black box stuff last season). I'm pretty sure Spurs haven't just hit on the idea of scouting promising youngsters from the lower leagues and no other clubs have thought of doing it before.

Clyne and Jrod were nearly 4 years ago FFS. If there is a disappointing aspect to our transfer business, it's that we no longer take a chance on that sort of player, despite the pretensions on here. Next you and others will be spinning some horse**** that we no longer do it because it blocks the pathway of our own youngsters to the first team. Nice one.

Wasn't Jay Rod our record signing at the time? He had a solid Championship record so hardly a gamble on unknown potential. Clyne similar, well regarded second tier young player. Both represent the kind of player a newly promoted club that isnt QPR would sign.

Not really the same as Alli who is the kind of signing we haven't really made at all in the ML era.

If we had £15m to spend then I would rather we spend it on one good player than three lower league talents. Not all the lower league talents will progress like Alli and if first team football is one of the most significant contributing factors to their development then what are Spurs going to do - play Demebele in instead of Kane, Lookman instead of Eriksen and Maddison instead of Alli?

Have no issues with the idea of picking up good young talent but the circumstance in which you bring them to the club has to be right and they have to be able to play for your first team.

Lets put it another way - would you want to spend £15m in the summer on another three Juanmi's?

If we had £15m to spend then I would rather we spend it on one good player than three lower league talents. Not all the lower league talents will progress like Alli and if first team football is one of the most significant contributing factors to their development then what are Spurs going to do - play Demebele in instead of Kane, Lookman instead of Eriksen and Maddison instead of Alli?

Have no issues with the idea of picking up good young talent but the circumstance in which you bring them to the club has to be right and they have to be able to play for your first team.

Lets put it another way - would you want to spend £15m in the summer on another three Juanmi's?

With overstating the foreign/english distinction, there's something quite different about signing a player who's proven they can cope with the intensity, physicality and pace of the lower leagues. The Juanmi analogy doesn't work. Whether they're technically good enough is another matter.

With overstating the foreign/english distinction, there's something quite different about signing a player who's proven they can cope with the intensity, physicality and pace of the lower leagues. The Juanmi analogy doesn't work. Whether they're technically good enough is another matter.

Yeah I would agree that signing a young player who has proved they can cope physically in the lower leagues is better than a young player from another league but I think my point still stands that if we have cash to spend on hoarding young prospects then I would rather we spent that on players who can play for our first team and have less of a risk associated with them. If Spurs purchased all three players a fair strike rate would be that one of them would 'make it' and that total £15m outlay would be worth it. But I think they have the money to invest in a different way to Saints and right now I would prefer Saints to only spend significant money on players who are better than what we have got. I am not sure we will improve otherwise.

Is "Why aren't we signing 18 year olds from League One??" the new "Why aren't we playing Ryan Seager??"

Is the question "Why isn't Sheffield United signing Ryan Seager from Southampton so that Spurs can sign him in two years?"

we simply have to replace yoshida

he is terrible.

Are you taking the ****! Hes a ******* liability = never want to see him in a SFC again.

Oh dear you boys are for it now, Vectis still hasn't forgiven me for saying I didn't rate Tandari Lee, he said I was racist and didn't like him because he was Japanese. Stand by for a volley of abuse and constant snide comments for years now you've slammed another one of our Japanese players.

Absolutely yes. We know more than most PL clubs that quality talent can exist in L1 etc.

Especially as our own players of those ages seem some way off the pace in terms of developing into first team options.

At £4-£5m these types won't lose value even if they don't become top players.

Oh dear you boys are for it now, Vectis still hasn't forgiven me for saying I didn't rate Tandari Lee, he said I was racist and didn't like him because he was Japanese. Stand by for a volley of abuse and constant snide comments for years now you've slammed another one of our Japanese players.

Premier League bad luck charms: team-by-team guide

Southampton - Maya Yoshida

Has struggled with the speed of the Premier League throughout his career and it might be an idea for Southampton to keep him out of the team. The only win he started this season was against a well below par Sunderland, while they win nearly half their games without him.

Difference in win rate: -21.7%

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12125408/Premier-League-bad-luck-charms-team-by-team-guide.html?frame=3560622

Never again please!

he is terrible.

Fair point. But do any clubs have decent 3rd/4th choice CBs? If they do maybe we should look to buy them.

Absolutely yes. We know more than most PL clubs that quality talent can exist in L1 etc.

Especially as our own players of those ages seem some way off the pace in terms of developing into first team options.

At £4-£5m these types won't lose value even if they don't become top players.

Daniel Bentley is well regarded. If the club feels Gazza will never make it, he might be an option.

Agreeing VVD.

He looks so classy at times. I hope we keep him until he is 34, but reckon could go for 20-25 million sadly.

Lovren. We overpaid for at 8 million. We dodged a bullet.

I'm sorry but the fact he went for £20-£25m showed we didn't overpay and whatever people think of him and how he left us he was excellent for us. We shouldn't re-write history.

The Times reports we had a bid rejected for Coventry's 19 year old midfielder James Maddison but Spurs favourites to sign him, and that Stoke and Everton interested in Long.

PLENTY OF INTEREST' IN MADDISON

Tony Mowbray has revealed there’s plenty of interest in James Maddison, but Coventry have not received any offers for the youngster.

Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal have been linked, and Mowbray said: “No bids, plenty of inquiries.”

Last week he told the Coventry Telegraph: “My discussion points with the owner would always have been that we’re trying to get out of the league; let’s not cut ourselves off at the knees by selling our best players.”

Sunderland signing Whabi Khaziri from Bordeaux for €11m.

They have brought in a few, but is it enough to save them?

Could get really tight down there in April/May.

It's strange, I've been thinking recently that both Sunderland AND Newcastle will survive...

But I've no idea who will go with Villa. Maybe Norwich and another?

Don't see Bournemouth going, Swansea just picked up back-to-back wins.

It's going to be close down there.

It's strange, I've been thinking recently that both Sunderland AND Newcastle will survive...

But I've no idea who will go with Villa. Maybe Norwich and another?

Don't see Bournemouth going, Swansea just picked up back-to-back wins.

It's going to be close down there.

I'm hoping West Brom but they probably won't.