January Hcdajfu time?

simo

I've never really got the injury prone thing with him. He's played a lot of games over the last 4 or 5 seasons

Apart from supposedly failing a medical at Hull and missing QPR's promotion run-in, among many other things. We don't even have to pick apart Sullivan's comments. Concerns are well-justified.

Edited by shurlock

Yeah, but K.Billy said nothing, just an applause icon. Don't jump to conclusions. But hopefully going through. :)

It was a thumb up. Anyway, that is what K Billy does on here re incoming transfers. Actually makes more me confident that any words. KBSS is usually on the money.

Let's hope we see something official tomorrow.

I thought that too, immediately, when the Caulker release was mooted. We are scratching QPR's back, and maybe there was payback to follow?

He could sign a pre contract and move here officially in the summer. Meanwhile replacing Caulker as a domestic loan on our books for the rest of the season and he can try and make the Euro's. We'll see.

He could sign a pre contract and move here officially in the summer. Meanwhile replacing Caulker as a domestic loan on our books for the rest of the season and he can try and make the Euro's. We'll see.

Why on earth would Austin limit himself to saints by signing now but not moving till the summer?

Not as if we would do that either.

Why on earth would Austin limit himself to saints by signing now but not moving till the summer?

Not as if we would do that either.

People are thinking too much about this.

If we sign him, we sign him and he will be playing for us.

I'm probably in a minority, but I don't really see a lot of the hype around Austin and don't especially think he would be a brilliant signing.

Certainly not for a team that views itself as chasing a European spot if thats the case.

Also this season we arent going down nor getting a European spot so if he wants to join, wait til the summer and save £6-8m which seems much more a Saints type policy.

I'm probably in a minority, but I don't really see a lot of the hype around Austin and don't especially think he would be a brilliant signing.

Certainly not for a team that views itself as chasing a European spot.

18 premier league goals last season?

That would cost £30m in most cases

Long cost £12m and he will get you 8 goals a season

Certainly not for a team that views itself as chasing a European spot if thats the case.

Also this season we arent going down nor getting a European spot so if he wants to join, wait til the summer and save £6-8m which seems much more a Saints type policy.

As soon as we sign Austin we should look to sell him to reinvest.

Austin would be brilliant.

A natural goalscorer. When did we last have one of those? SRL?

Would say that Connolly was a more natural goalscorer than Lambert, though obviously Lambert's contribution and all-round game were significantly bigger.

So is this looking likely then? Seen the K,Billy hint, just need Guan to come and finalise it, I guess!

Had seen some hints at a West Ham move for him but I wonder if he'd still fancy going there after this back in August...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3205031/Charlie-Austin-hits-outrageous-slur-West-Ham-chairman-David-Sullivan-questioned-QPR-star-s-physical-condition.html

Alex Crook ‏@alex_crook 4m4 minutes ago

Been asked by a couple of people about Charlie Austin to #saintsfc rumours. Do not believe they are in for him.

Must be happening then.

don't be mean, Saintsweb is his main source of information. He'll read that and be very sad.

So is this looking likely then? Seen the K,Billy hint, just need Guan to come and finalise it, I guess!

Had seen some hints at a West Ham move for him but I wonder if he'd still fancy going there after this back in August...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3205031/Charlie-Austin-hits-outrageous-slur-West-Ham-chairman-David-Sullivan-questioned-QPR-star-s-physical-condition.html

Bilic said a few days ago that they had no interest in Austin. Pardew said the same. Austin himself burned his bridges with Newcastle by snubbing them in the summer. Perhaps there aren't as many options for him as first thought.

Wait until the summer and might be able to get a bigger wage by turning a transfer fee into his signing on fee. But his wage demands will still be large, his goals return will start to fade from the memory and his reputation for injuries may have increased. Add to that, he completely wipes out any chance of an England squad place by staying at QPR, so as much as he says he will wait until the summer...I'm sure of the wage is right he won't hesitate to move in this window.

But will we pay that massive wage? If he's still the sharp,and ruthless player that I saw tear us apart whilst at Swindon then I hope so.

Edited by Chez

People still bringing up Charlie Austin being "injury prone".

Lets look at the last 5 seasons...

2011/12 Saints played 46 league games, Austin played 41

2012/13 Saints played 38 league games, Austin played 37

2013/14 Saints played 38 league games, Austin played 31

2014/14 Saints played 38 league games, Austin played 35

2015/16 Saints played 21 league games, Austin played 16

In total in the last 5 seasons, Saints have played 181 league games and in that time Charlie Austin has played in 160 league games = 88% of the number of league games our club has played in the time period.

People still bringing up Charlie Austin being "injury prone".

Lets look at the last 5 seasons...

2011/12 Saints played 46 league games, Austin played 41

2012/13 Saints played 38 league games, Austin played 37

2013/14 Saints played 38 league games, Austin played 31

2014/14 Saints played 38 league games, Austin played 35

2015/16 Saints played 21 league games, Austin played 16

In total in the last 5 seasons, Saints have played 181 league games and in that time Charlie Austin has played in 160 league games = 88% of the number of league games our club has played in the time period.

First, your numbers are woefully misleading. In 2013/14, QPR were in the championship and played 46 league games, so he missed a larger share of their games (around a third of the season). Pointing to the number of games we played in the prem with fewer fixtures is plain irrelevant. This season he's played 16 of 26 games (60% of games), so again your benchmark is way off. What ultimately matters is being available for the team at the time. You're being either willfully or unwittingly obfuscatory.

Second, the past is not necessarily a guide to the future; nor does it always reveal a player's proneness to injury. That's the purpose of a medical which is as much a forward-looking assessment -and the fact is numerous red flags have been raised (see his failed medical at Hull and Sullivan's comments). With time, age and general wear and tear, those risks typically become larger.

Edited by shurlock

Simple fact of the matter is he's scored loads of goals every season (17 at worst) since he went to Swindon regardless of time out with injuries. His failed medical didn't stop him scoring either.

Also worth noting is that Hull didn't seem to care much about George Boyd's failed medical at Forest before signing him.

Bilic said a few days ago that they had no interest in Austin. Pardew said the same. Austin himself burned his bridges with Newcastle by snubbing them in the summer. Perhaps there aren't as many options for him as first thought.

Wait until the summer and might be able to get a bigger wage by turning a transfer fee into his signing on fee. But his wage demands will still be large, his goals return will start to fade from the memory and his reputation for injuries may have increased. Add to that, he completely wipes out any chance of an England squad place by staying at QPR, so as much as he says he will wait until the summer...I'm sure of the wage is right he won't hesitate to move in this window.

But will we pay that massive wage? If he's still the sharp,and ruthless player that I saw tear us apart whilst at Swindon then I hope so.

Not sure his wage expectation is so massive that we can't pay it and aren't already paying someone else similar.

It's Charlie Austin from QPR, not Neymar we're signing.

Reports that Liverpool are keen on signing Shane Long.

According to the Irish Daily Star:

"Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp [is] keen on acquiring [shane Long] before the end of the current transfer window".

In a radio interview today with Newstalk, Mark McCadden - who broke the story for the Irish Daily Star - added:

"Liverpool are definitely interested, and he [Long] is high on [Liverpool’s] list".

In my view, Long is a very Rodgers-esque transfer target, but according to Steven Nicol, the Irish international would be a great signing for the club:

“They [Liverpool] spent £16m on Balotelli but I would prefer someone like Shane Long. He might not have the same ability, but the fans will love him, [and] he'll give you everything".

Reds hero Phil Thompson doesn't share Nicol's enthusiasm for Long, and when asked last season about the possibility of a move to Anfield, he told reporters:

“Shane Long has had really good spells this year but I think he’s inconsistent as a goalscorer”

Thommo is right - Long's goalscoring inconsistency is there for all to see:

* 15 goals in 58 games for Southampton (One every 208 minutes).

The last thing Liverpool need is another allegedly attacking player who fails to score/create goals on a regular basis.

Says for 8m too why would we entertain selling him for 4m less than we brought him for ?

Have been banging on about Austin for ages now, to my mind, he is the poacher we are desperate for. I remember Ted Mcdougall scoring against Sheff U in my first ever game in 77, Austin would be a similar player. Think the fans will love him. Confident, brash and a goal scorer to boot! Okay, it may not happen, but for K Billy to pop up with a thumbs up, that's good enough for me! FWIW I think it would be Pelle to make way, I love the running Long puts in and 8 goals isn't a bad return, think he would relish playing alongside!