January Hcdajfu time?

simo

We should avoid South American players like the plague.

Unless you're buying the top drawer players theres too much risk involved. Surprised we haven't learnt that - it has been a costly mistake in the recent past.

don't understand this comment. he's not exactly a lightweight south american flair player - he's a strong 6ft 2 winger. apparently one of highest passing rates and also puts in a defensive shift for a winger.

I think he would have been probably pretty good fit for saints, just not the kind of player we need at the mo as he doesn't bring goals

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/03/30/scout-report-lucas-ocampos/

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2012/12/21/nh-x-five-potential-breakthrough-stars-of-2013-1-lucas-ocampos/

Think we may have a bit of a polarised opinion here boys.

Are you suggesting that Osvaldo, Ramirez, Tejera, Sarmiento, Delgado, Chala, Arias, and St Juste were unsuccessful?

As a South american I feel this a little bit offensive. What South American players in general bring is a burning desire to win. They have passion- I look at many Southampton players and it looks like they don't really care if they win or lose. They treat it as a regular day time job. They sing just to go to bigger club, like if the club we love was a stepping stone. Heck, even African players like Mane and Wanyama don't seem to care enough.

It's just a case of bad scouting to sing an unprofessional player like Osvaldo. I really don't know about Gaston, but if he feels he has been treated unfairly I would understand.

Sorry if you find it a little offensive, but as you'll see from the list of names above , signing South Americans has hardly been a roaring success for us.

I don't see much of a "burning desire to win" as much as players with a high tendency to sulk , and often show an indifferent attitude when on the pitch. I don't disagree with you that others often conduct themselves in similar fashion, and even our 'home grown' talent is happy to bugger off when chance arises.

Yes, our scouting and recruitment has something to answer for also, esp with Osvaldo, but given the track record from South America my view is we'd be better off scouting elsewhere.

A for Gaston, I like what he could bring, but he's had numerous chances and has never really grasped it. No wonder RK has no trust in him.

Edited by Badger

Think we may have a bit of a polarised opinion here boys.

Sorry if you find it a little offensive, but as you'll see from the list of names above , signing South Americans has hardly been a roaring success for us.

I don't see much of a "burning desire to win" as much as players with a high tendency to sulk , and often show an indifferent attitude when on the pitch. I don't disagree with you that others often conduct themselves in similar fashion, and even our 'home grown' talent is happy to bugger off when chance arises.

Yes, our scouting and recruitment has something to answer for also, esp with Osvaldo, but given the track record from South America my view is we'd be better off scouting elsewhere.

A for Gaston, I like what he could bring, but he's had numerous chances and has never really grasped it. No wonder RK has no trust in him.

Yeah that's what I think when I see Sanchez chasing down every ball and trying to play every game for Arsenal, or messi being the best player in the world who hardly ever gets injured.

I don't think avoid south america is the problem, its the player fitting into whatever system is being played not where they come from and that issue is club related.

Edited by Convict Colony

Yeah that's what I think when I see Sanchez chasing down every ball and trying to play every game for Arsenal, or messi being the best player in the world who hardly ever gets injured.

If you go back to my original comment:

Unless you're buying the top drawer players theres too much risk involved. Surprised we haven't learnt that - it has been a costly mistake in the recent past.

Unfortunately we don't have the £££ to compete in attracting Sanchez or Messi.

There have been some outstanding players fromSouth America, but our experience of them is far from encouraging.

As a South american I feel this a little bit offensive. What South American players in general bring is a burning desire to win. They have passion- I look at many Southampton players and it looks like they don't really care if they win or lose. They treat it as a regular day time job. They sing just to go to bigger club, like if the club we love was a stepping stone. Heck, even African players like Mane and Wanyama don't seem to care enough.

It's just a case of bad scouting to sing an unprofessional player like Osvaldo. I really don't know about Gaston, but if he feels he has been treated unfairly I would understand.

Spent a bit of time in Argentina recently and would consider it my second country - completely agree about desire and passion. I was there during the world cup, and follow the domestic league and am a huge fan. Though I do think that this league is a step up, there are plenty of players who have made that step, and South America is one of the greatest sources of huge talent. Personally think there is the odd player in the top division there who could go on to be good premier league players

Should be massive regrets over it. The worst decision in my eyes this summer.

Hindsights an easy thing. Now if he had come back and shown 2013/14 form and we didn't offer him a new contract you would be slating that decision too.

We took a punt by giving him a new contract, and tbh, I do think he will show his potential soon, but thats with my Saints spectacles on ;)

Hindsights an easy thing. Now if he had come back and shown 2013/14 form and we didn't offer him a new contract you would be slating that decision too.

We took a punt by giving him a new contract, and tbh, I do think he will show his potential soon, but thats with my Saints spectacles on ;)

Wasn't hindsight at all, he was due back in Januray, then had 3 set-backs. Warning signs were there. Should have given him a 2 year deal to prove his fitness.

Reports that Liverpool are keen on signing Shane Long.

According to the Irish Daily Star:

"Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp [is] keen on acquiring [shane Long] before the end of the current transfer window".

In a radio interview today with Newstalk, Mark McCadden - who broke the story for the Irish Daily Star - added:

"Liverpool are definitely interested, and he [Long] is high on [Liverpool’s] list".

In my view, Long is a very Rodgers-esque transfer target, but according to Steven Nicol, the Irish international would be a great signing for the club:

“They [Liverpool] spent £16m on Balotelli but I would prefer someone like Shane Long. He might not have the same ability, but the fans will love him, [and] he'll give you everything".

Reds hero Phil Thompson doesn't share Nicol's enthusiasm for Long, and when asked last season about the possibility of a move to Anfield, he told reporters:

“Shane Long has had really good spells this year but I think he’s inconsistent as a goalscorer”

Thommo is right - Long's goalscoring inconsistency is there for all to see:

* 15 goals in 58 games for Southampton (One every 208 minutes).

The last thing Liverpool need is another allegedly attacking player who fails to score/create goals on a regular basis.

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere but a supposed ITK on the QPR forum claims Austin traveled to Southampton last night & has signed a contract already.

Probably ****** but thought it was worth mentioning.

Seems feasible given that KBSS is hinting at Austin coming in.

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere but a supposed ITK on the QPR forum claims Austin traveled to Southampton last night & has signed a contract already.

Probably ****** but thought it was worth mentioning.

Could possibly be a pre contract ? Didn't Ings do that with !iverpool last Jan?

I just read it came from a Saints fan who is alleged mate of driver who drives the players and picks up players and drives around.

Yep far fetched !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree. But when K Billy speaks. Usually comes off

I'm shocked to be honest. I thought it was a certainty he'd go on a free in the summer when he could get himself a better financial deal. We have always made sense though as far as he's concerned: local, a team that creates chances and won't be battling relegation. Hope it's true and that we aren't paying too big a fee

I'm shocked to be honest. I thought it was a certainty he'd go on a free in the summer when he could get himself a better financial deal. We have always made sense though as far as he's concerned: local, a team that creates chances and won't be battling relegation. Hope it's true and that we aren't paying too big a fee

It could be as suggested a pre contract like Ings did at Liverpool.

He is just what we need but hope he passes medical unless he gets Delgado doctors

He is just what we need but hope he passes medical unless he gets Delgado doctors

I've never really got the injury prone thing with him. He's played a lot of games over the last 4 or 5 seasons

It won't be a pre contract. We're paying now to ensure he signs for us. QPR are probably helping to grease the wheels to get him out the door and move on with signing a replacement.

It'll be a signing much any other really.

It won't be a pre contract. We're paying now to ensure he signs for us. QPR are probably helping to grease the wheels to get him out the door and move on with signing a replacement.

It'll be a signing much any other really.

Bloody hope so for me he is exactly what we need how many would he have scored v Watford!!!