January Hcdajfu time?

simo

I see Newcastle are sniffing around Shevley at Swansea. Decent player, only 23 although his current managers comments about his attitude might make clubs think twice.

Saints have looked at Shelvey in the past and stayed well away as he failed pretty much every 'character' criteria they have for signing players these days.

Of course, it didn't stop him shoving one past Forster from 25 yards last season but Saints insist in this off the field checks and hold them in high regard so it is what it is.

Normally I'd be against panic buys, but our summer buys were so sh1t a panic buy has just as much chance of working.

Spot on. Expect nothing to happen until the last hour of the window when we will sign the out of favour Hertz Van Rental and Adios Comprendo - both been utter horsesh*te for two years, but "lots of potential, and bound to improve under our revolutionary coaching set up"...

Saints have looked at Shelvey in the past and stayed well away as he failed pretty much every 'character' criteria they have for signing players these days.

Of course, it didn't stop him shoving one past Forster from 25 yards last season but Saints insist in this off the field checks and hold them in high regard so it is what it is.

Worked well with Osvaldo

Is it just me that wants a striker that will be our first choice in a majority of games,Long and Pelle are too inconsistent and considering nobody else really chips in regularly apart from Mane we need someone that can find the net and score 1 in 3 not 1 in 10 like them

Is it just me that wants a striker that will be our first choice in a majority of games,Long and Pelle are too inconsistent and considering nobody else really chips in regularly apart from Mane we need someone that can find the net and score 1 in 3 not 1 in 10 like them

Ideally that's what we want. But in the modern game getting a striker in who will be first choice every week and be able to press well, hold the ball up, run the channels, have the pace to threaten in behind will be very hard to find. But Rodriguez could be that player for us and him constantly being injured is killing us. We just can't rely on him anymore and will have to start planning without him.

It must be very tempting to sell Pelle this summer when he turns 31 (and Long if we can get a buyer), and with us likely to sell Mane as well we could have a huge change in our attacking players for next season. I think we should do exactly that, but it obviously won't happen until the summer

Had a quick scan and couldn't see this elsewhere so apols if already posted. SSN:

Juventus have rejected two bids from two Premier League clubs for midfielder Stefano Sturaro, according to Sport Mediaset.

Southampton are reported to have offered €17m while West Ham are believed to have submitted a bid worth €15m, both of which were rejected by the Bianconeri.

Can I be the first to say I've never heard of Stefano Sturaro but if we offerred 17mil and still got rejected then I assume he must be decent.

Obligatory youtube and article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1mO2GOmsE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2594149-stefano-sturaro-is-an-emerging-talent-both-now-and-in-the-future-for-juventus

I'd be delighted for us to spend way more than the norm this window. As long as they are the classic young and hungry type!

Prices are of course inflated, but I can't help feeling that getting in players now, who will ultimately be first choice next season is sensible. Give them the remainder of the season to bed in, get settled, and then get a full pre-season.

Make it happen Les!

Would we be likely to actually spend money in this window, or will it probably be a couple of loans again? I'd take Andros Townsend on loan for the rest of the season (spurs want stupid money for him if the papers are to be believed.) Can't think of many decent available strikers though

Can I be the first to say I've never heard of Stefano Sturaro but if we offerred 17mil and still got rejected then I assume he must be decent.

Obligatory youtube and article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1mO2GOmsE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2594149-stefano-sturaro-is-an-emerging-talent-both-now-and-in-the-future-for-juventus

It cant be true. The Board are a bunch of tightwads. ;)

Pelle scores about 1 in 3. All strikers are going to be inconsistent, unless you get one at top international level.

Oh ok, so our midfield is really strong atm?......should have gone to specsavers!

I know ronald seems to be reasonably happy with our midfield, whatever one he puts out, but for me it is weaker than our attacking options.

I'd agree we need a AM that can shoot and score goals as we have been lacking that for years. CM/DM though we have JWP, Davis, Wanyama, Romeu, Clasie and Reed who can play there 6 players for 2/3 positions. Also Slattery might be breaking into the first team next season.

This.

Mane hasn't scored since October, Tadic is afraid to shoot, Davis for all his good qualities doesn't score. Pelle and Long are to erratic.

We have no goal threat as a team. We can't win games if we don't score more goals.

Edited by doddisalegend

Vardy,Mahrez & Ighalo are not top international level but yet have scored 40 odd goals between them,Long and Pelle have 10 goals between them in the league.

We need a 15-20 goals a season striker,and a CAM that can chip in with a few goals,where are the goals going to come from if we buy a "back" up to Pelle who is currently injured and Shane Long as the only option up front

If you want to push towards the top 8 then you need to score 50+ goals a season. Our centre backs ill get a couple each and you might get another couple from the full backs combined. Maybe 7 or 8 from the 2 holding midfielders at a push and Davis might get 3 or 4. We know Tadic isn’t going to get more than 6 or 7.

The problem isn’t just that we lack a clinical striker, it’s also that we lack goalscorers throughout the team. That needs to be addressed in the summer but Koeman for now HAS to start picking teams with goalscorers in them. Seager, Ramirez and Juanmi need to be playing more prominent roles when we are struggling so much for goals. They may not be the answer but he has to try picking teams with more attacking intent. It’s no good for him to come out and say “it’s the same story every week”. Of course it is Ronald, because you pick the same bloody team every week. What does he expect, that Pelle and Long will suddenly become clinical goalscorers? That JWP and Davis will suddenly develop into goalscoring machines?

I agree Verbal. We have lacked any sort of goal threat from centre midfield from some time. Lallana was the last one that could actually create something and score and we often played him wide.

I'm not sure about Tadic. He seems to have all the skills but he's barely scored a goal since he's been here. OK he plays wider but you would still think he would get a few chances to shoot. He frustrates me as he seems to be a great player but there doesn't appear to be any actual end product.

Pelle is great at what he does which is finish chances made for him by others. He relies solely on service so if the team is not providing he won't score.

As for the rest they seemto be mostly DM's. Davis is a good player but prefers to go sideways and keep the ball.

We missed out on Coutinho I seem to remember as he preferred the scousers. He wouldn't have stayed long but he would have been perfect for us.

SAIVET ARRIVES FOR TOON MEDICAL

From Shelvey to another potential incoming at Newcastle now. And Sky Sports News HQ understand they are closing in on the signing of Bordeaux winger Henri Saivet.

The Senegal international has arrived on Tyneside for a medical and contract talks.

Edited by SuperSAINT
Updated story

I agree Verbal. We have lacked any sort of goal threat from centre midfield from some time. Lallana was the last one that could actually create something and score and we often played him wide.

I'm not sure about Tadic. He seems to have all the skills but he's barely scored a goal since he's been here. OK he plays wider but you would still think he would get a few chances to shoot. He frustrates me as he seems to be a great player but there doesn't appear to be any actual end product.

Pelle is great at what he does which is finish chances made for him by others. He relies solely on service so if the team is not providing he won't score.

As for the rest they seemto be mostly DM's. Davis is a good player but prefers to go sideways and keep the ball.

We missed out on Coutinho I seem to remember as he preferred the scousers. He wouldn't have stayed long but he would have been perfect for us.

Sorry but I disagree that there's never an end product with Tadic, and he has scored a few goals. He should score more, and his problem seems to be that his first thought is always to create for someone else when sometimes he just needs to put his foot through the ball! BUT this mentality means that he does create chances, more so than anyone else in our squad. Mane is so direct as well as being skilful and pacey, so he naturally causes the opposition problems but I don't see him as a 'creator' like Tadic is. There are plenty of games when he frustrates me, but without him in the team it feels like we could play all day and not score. For example, when was the last time JWP beat his man and whipped a good cross in?

BILIC: WE DON'T WANT AUSTIN

West Ham boss Slaven Bilic has declared that the club are not interested in signing QPR striker Charlie Austin in the January transfer window.

"He’s a good player and he’s been linked with most other clubs when they get relegated because of his record," said Bilic.

"We were among those clubs in the summer, but we have chosen other options and now we are not looking for that kind of player."

Dont really see the massive fuss about Austin, I cant believe there isnt better options out there for the money ? Added to his reported injury problems.

Dont get me wrong Ill be reasonably happy if he signs but I just dont get the constant clamour to bring him in

Agreed and seems injured a helluva lot.

SAIVET ARRIVES FOR TOON MEDICAL

From Shelvey to another potential incoming at Newcastle now. And Sky Sports News HQ understand they are closing in on the signing of Bordeaux winger Henri Saivet.

The Senegal international has arrived on Tyneside for a medical and contract talks.

Apparently we were tracking him with a view to a move in the summer.

Another player with a link to the Dutch League...

Saints scouts were joined by those of Everton & Norwich City at Palermo's win over Verona at the weekend.

Saints were reportably watching Palermo's Swedish midfielder Oscar Hiljemark in his side's victory, Hiljemark would be well known to Ronald Koeman having joined the Italian side in the summer of 2015 from Dutch side PSV.

The 23 year old spent 2 seasons at PSV after joining from Elfsborg where he was a team mate of ex Saint Anders Svensson.

This season he has excelled in Serie A scoring 3 times with 2 assists in 19 league games and although Palermo have struggled Hiljemark has been one of the shining lights of their season.

He has also been capped 7 tmes at full International level for Sweden and Palermo signed him last summer for 2 million Euros plus another 500k in add ons.

that isnt true, is it?

He's missed a lot of games this season to be fair. QPR have played 28 games and he has played 16 of them. He may have been rested for cup games. He's missed the equivalent of over two months of the season.

10 in 16 in the league. Lots of interest in Austin because he scores goals and even in a crap team last year he scored loads. Plus he is English and his transfer fee won't be much because of his contract running down.

But then on the other hand his contract situation means he will command more in wages and couple that with his injury record there are issues for any club that wants to sign him. Plus he'll want to be first choice...hard to make someone with his injury record first choice as you're putting a lot of money into a player who may not play more than 60% of your games.

I can see him going somewhere in the summer.

He's missed a lot of games this season to be fair. QPR have played 28 games and he has played 16 of them. He may have been rested for cup games. He's missed the equivalent of over two months of the season.

10 in 16 in the league. Lots of interest in Austin because he scores goals and even in a crap team last year he scored loads. Plus he is English and his transfer fee won't be much because of his contract running down.

But then on the other hand his contract situation means he will command more in wages and couple that with his injury record there are issues for any club that wants to sign him. Plus he'll want to be first choice...hard to make someone with his injury record first choice as you're putting a lot of money into a player who may not play more than 60% of your games.

I can see him going somewhere in the summer.

didnt he sit out their first few games until the transfer window shut?

cant remember

Bournemouth signing Grabban also. Him and Afobe will have cost nearly £20m combined which is eyewatering.

But I don't think they will get relegated so fair play to them for proving many wrong so far.

Serious competition when they have Murray & Wilson when he's back fit.

Since promotion in 2012 Saints have spent circa £200m on incoming transfers.

how much received?

bournemouth clearly needed players to fill the gap Wilson and Gradel have left. They have wasted absolutely no time in sorting that out

we needed a new striker who is good enough to start for the last year.