Saints are 'increasingly hopeful' on Victor Wanyana signing a new deal

Saint-Armstrong

Just watching him week in week out. My opinion is that he's not good enough for the top teams. Plus he's a liability with yellow/red cards. He's too slow on the ball for them. Hes not exactly mobile enough so needs Schneiderlin next to him. He's awful in the air. He's too inconsistent defensively and his pass is his huge weakness. Put that all together and I think it's too much of a compromise for a top club. He is a good mid table PL player. Us, Everton, Stoke, West Ham type clubs. Not Champions League.

Not yet anyway, I suppose he's still relatively young. But at the moment I think he's at his level.

Totally agree. Also, not one of the recent high level departees has been a spectacular success unless you are talking about accountancy. We may not be far away from our 'stars' realising that the choice is respected starter at a strong mid table club or squad filler at one of the big four - we live in hope. Seeing the artist formerly known as Rickie Lambert last Saturday, genuinely a dour shadow of his former self, the message loud and clear should be to be careful what you wish for...

There will always be periods when we aren't bringing through as many players at one time. We have been spoiled by having a couple of amazing Academy groups but no club has a consistent conveyer belt of talent churning out players capable of competing at the top level every season.

yes i agree with this, as a club we are extremely lucky to have got to see some great players come through over the years back in the early 90s golden era with Le Tiss / Wallaces / Shearer, and in the 00s with Walcott, Bale, Lallana.

Even now I think the fact that some of the academy have left at a young age has hidden the fact that we have only just had an incredible batch of youngsters, if they were all still at the club we could technically still field a u21 line up including

Callum Chambers - England Full cap

Luke Shaw - England full cap and world cup squad

Jack Stephens - England U21 cap

Matt Targett - England u21 caps

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (think he is 22 now but anyway) - England full cap

James Ward-Prowse - England u21 captain

Harrison Reed - England u20 caps

Sam Gallagher - England u19 caps

i might have missed one or two. That is still an incredible production line that most clubs would be envious of.

On the subject of Wanyama i would not be sorry to see him go, he's been disruptive more than once and has cost us points while damaging the spirit within the dressing room. Will be interesting to see if he plays on Saturday as one of the show-piece games he tends to play well in.

Totally agree. Also, not one of the recent high level departees has been a spectacular success unless you are talking about accountancy. We may not be far away from our 'stars' realising that the choice is respected starter at a strong mid table club or squad filler at one of the big four - we live in hope. Seeing the artist formerly known as Rickie Lambert last Saturday, genuinely a dour shadow of his former self, the message loud and clear should be to be careful what you wish for...

Problem is players are told their entire lives how great they are and if they're doing well at a club like us, they'll always believe they can step up. No matter how many have failed before them.

Interesting article.

Sounds like a realisation that the conveyor belt of talent is and has slowed.

Has it though? This season we have brought through a player, have we ever brought through so many more than one per season? I don't remember it. The best I remember is Shaw and Chambers coming through about the same time. JWP was a different year. Why are people acting like in the past we used to have lots of kids ready for first team football? This has never been the case. Even at our best it's always been one a year on average, it's been none many years before now.

The words "conveyor belt" seem to have been over-used and given people a false idea of the way it's ever been. That belt turned out players like Bridge, Bale, Ox, Walcott and so on, but usually a couple of years apart for each one. So if in two years, another kid becomes a regular, that's still in line with how it's been.

You'll never be satisfied if you think any club will bring through a different player every year. You're not stupid enough to think just one season enough for a player to be the finished product. Taking 2-3 seasons is perfectly normal, some will drop away, others will stick around and prove themselves.

We just get JWP written off every 5 minutes and other youngsters declared rubbish before they've even played.

I was just replying to the post saying we had brought someone through this year.

I really don't see this happening. We will lose Pelle, Mane and Vic in the summer (hopefully not Bertrand) and I will be royally ticked off but life will go on.

My interpretation of the Pellè situation is that we don't see a particularly long shelf life for him beyond this season, so we wouldn't be "losing" him. As I may have hinted at before, I genuinely couldn't give a **** about Wanyama, he's nowhere near as good as he seems to think he is. Mané would be the only genuine loss, but we'll be compensated with a ludicrous transfer fee.

My interpretation of the Pellè situation is that we don't see a particularly long shelf life for him beyond this season, so we wouldn't be "losing" him. As I may have hinted at before, I genuinely couldn't give a **** about Wanyama, he's nowhere near as good as he seems to think he is. Mané would be the only genuine loss, but we'll be compensated with a ludicrous transfer fee.

Would Mané be that big a loss?. His quickfire hat trick apart again how many has he scored and how many assists? He's exciting when he's on the ball but little end product ever seems to come from it. His "dribbling" skills remind of Woody's quote about Buzz Lightyear, "that's not flying that's falling with style". To me he has the appearance of someone almost tripping over the ball but somehow still managing to propel it in the direction he's running, whilst not having the slightest clue what he intends to do with it. If anyone offers silly money I'm sure he could be replaced with someone far more consistent.

Would Mané be that big a loss?. His quickfire hat trick apart again how many has he scored and how many assists? He's exciting when he's on the ball but little end product ever seems to come from it. His "dribbling" skills remind of Woody's quote about Buzz Lightyear, "that's not flying that's falling with style". To me he has the appearance of someone almost tripping over the ball but somehow still managing to propel it in the direction he's running, whilst not having the slightest clue what he intends to do with it. If anyone offers silly money I'm sure he could be replaced with someone far more consistent.

Mane is our best attacker by miles. He would definitely be a big loss.

who wants consistent? It's great having someone as unpredictable as him. He's going through a poor patch end result wise, but he really is a fantastic player to watch. We have very few dribblers in the side. Players that can retain the ball, keep possession and take the pressure off a defence. He does that as well as using his unbelievable pace to nip in and win balls and turn bad ones into good ones. Let's not wish him away just yet.

I hope we keep Wanyama, Pelle, Mane and add to the squad.

Everyone wants a strong squad dont they?

if we can afford them all (wage rises become inevitable) and there isn't unhappy campers (is Pelle going to be a good team players if he has to play second fiddle to Austin?) then obviously yes. I'd have no problem with a player wanting away for first team football though. Fair play to that man if it still exists.

If the Academy is not so good, is it because Dodd and Williams were kicked out? and why were they kicked out?

No, it's because we weren't a particularly enticing prospect for parents of talented kids when we were ruining careers by playing kids in 2007/8, or in administration, or kicking around in L1. So there's a gap from those years, plus we've already promoted and sold the likes of Shaw (age 20) and Chambers (20).

In addition, we are still producing players to a certain level - we are playing Ward-Prowse (21) and Targett (20), and have a few others like Reed and Gallagher who would have been regulars if we were still a L1 or Championship side, but we're a top half Prem side with European ambitions, so the bar is higher and those who might have been ok for lower levels aren't getting the games they would have if the club wasn't doing much better than it was when they were going through the system.

Every team needs the unpredictable to keep the opposition having to react rather than always being able to manage the situation. He offers some kind of threat even on his worst days, and his unpredictability often opens up space for others from defenders breaking ranks to close him down.

On Wanyama, I'm with Steve. Not a patch on last season, we already have a more consistent replacement in Romeu in a position where consistency and predictability IS an asset, and if I'm a potential buyer I'm wondering if he's a flash in the pan, if Schneiderlin made him look better than he was, or if he's just going to perform when he wants a move from his new club too. I can't believe for a second we will get him to sign a new deal unless it adds a release clause and more money - he's already proven that he thinks Europa League qualifiers are below his level.

I hope we keep Wanyama, Pelle, Mane and add to the squad.

Everyone wants a strong squad dont they?

If we are in europe I'd like to keep all bar Wanyama, Reed is more than capable replacing him in the squad and being backup to Romeu and Clasie or we could sign someone else. If we aren't in europe I'd get rid of Pelle as well. Shame about Mane I'd really want him to sign a new deal with a release clause say of 40m and ask him to give us another season.

The more i see "increasingly hopeful", the more i read "increasingly certain to leave".

Anyone who has followed Saints over the past couple of seasons will by now recognise this as the club putting out some mocked up good news so that when Vic, in this case, does inevitably leave, they can act surprised etc

And to be honest, i'm fine with Vic leaving, his heart's not in it anyway - reading on here i think most on here feel the same that a half arsed Vic isn't worth keeping, so this little media charade seems a bit pointless, especially with actual good news out there this week, two wins and Austin on board.

Every team needs the unpredictable to keep the opposition having to react rather than always being able to manage the situation. He offers some kind of threat even on his worst days, and his unpredictability often opens up space for others from defenders breaking ranks to close him down.

I think this, coupled with being the player most likely to conjure something out of nothing makes him important and difficult to replace. Even when I've spent most of the game exasperated by his misplaced passes or missed chances, when he goes off I still think "well how are we going to score now?"

However, one thing I do wonder is whether we struggle to cater for him in a 4-2-3-1 formation. He's not nearly as effective out wide, and playing in 'attacking midfield' leaves us exposed and outnumbered in the middle. We'll be hard pushed to find a replacement individually as good, but we might be able to find a talented player who better fits the structure and style of our team. Just a hypothesis that I'm not even convinced of myself...

If we are in europe I'd like to keep all bar Wanyama, Reed is more than capable replacing him in the squad and being backup to Romeu and Clasie or we could sign someone else. If we aren't in europe I'd get rid of Pelle as well. Shame about Mane I'd really want him to sign a new deal with a release clause say of 40m and ask him to give us another season.

He really isnt, whilst he s a god player he has far, far less of the physical attributes of Wanyama understandably so as he is far smaller.

I really dont get this "Wanyama is unintersted" stuff, half arsed players don`t make the tough tackles he does...

If we sell Vic and Pelle and don`t replace well how long will it be before the whingers are snivelling about our squad being poor.

He really isnt, whilst he s a god player he has far, far less of the physical attributes of Wanyama understandably so as he is far smaller.

I really dont get this "Wanyama is unintersted" stuff, half arsed players don`t make the tough tackles he does...

If we sell Vic and Pelle and don`t replace well how long will it be before the whingers are snivelling about our squad being poor.

He has looked disinterested in a fair few games this year, but it could just be that he is struggling to assert his authority on the game, and his already questionable passing game deteriorates and looks horribly sloppy. Someone has posted that he finds it tough against certain types of opposition, and I think this year he has looked awful whenever the team around him have been poor (or perhaps the causality is the opposite? Wanyama being poor hinders others). People won't forget that he threw his toys out the pram and helped derail our European run, and I think part of the problem is that in a lot of games he hasn't made the 'crunching' challenges you allude to, because he's been half a yard off the pace.

Would rank as the silliest post I've read for a long time. Mane may be missing a few goal opportunities at the moment; mind you some of those opportunities only he could have created, but his overall game of movement, pace, control, trickery and visionary passes are all there. Did you see the game v Arsenal Wurzel? If he goes in the summer he will be a greatly missed; a spark not easy to replace.

I'd like to see Reed given some opportunities in the Davis role.

Defensive midfielders who don't track players and show tangible signs of not being bothered to run back in any great haste are showing signs of disinterest whether they occasionally outmuscle people in challenges they're already near to or not.

Watch him for Sturridge's goal in the 1-6 when Van Dijk wins a header on the edge of the centre circle, in the Saints half. We lose the ball with Wanyama in the Liverpool half on the other edge of the centre circle, and Liverpool play it forward. Clasie rapidly gets over as he tries to close down Can but gets turned because he overshoots, and Can then runs into the 20 yards of space in front of our defence with Lallana in support as he's run past Wanyama who's still in the centre circle, jogging back. Can has all the space and time he needs to play an unpressured pass to Sturridge, who scores their second.

He completely lost my support after that one, and the more I've been watching him since, in every match he's played except against Arsenal, the more noticeable it's been. Worth noting that I didn't go on Saturday, so don't know what he was like then.

Like The9 I have made a point of watching Wanyama closely over the last half dozen games or so. He really doesn't put it in and is a chief reason we weren't creating much going forward in the run up to his sending off. The fact we looked so much better going forward without him in the next two games was no coincidence. He is holding us back.

Do you know I'm really bored with all this will he/won't he crap now.

Koeman has proved he doesn't need Wanyama in midfield, we all know that Wanyama can be awesome on the pitch when he puts in some effort but he just isn't bothering. I no longer care if he is a Saints player or not - if he wants to go sit on someone else's bench he won't be missed.

Defensive midfielders who don't track players and show tangible signs of not being bothered to run back in any great haste are showing signs of disinterest whether they occasionally outmuscle people in challenges they're already near to or not.

Watch him for Sturridge's goal in the 1-6 when Van Dijk wins a header on the edge of the centre circle, in the Saints half. We lose the ball with Wanyama in the Liverpool half on the other edge of the centre circle, and Liverpool play it forward. Clasie rapidly gets over as he tries to close down Can but gets turned because he overshoots, and Can then runs into the 20 yards of space in front of our defence with Lallana in support as he's run past Wanyama who's still in the centre circle, jogging back. Can has all the space and time he needs to play an unpressured pass to Sturridge, who scores their second.

He completely lost my support after that one, and the more I've been watching him since, in every match he's played except against Arsenal, the more noticeable it's been. Worth noting that I didn't go on Saturday, so don't know what he was like then.

Much the same.

Once its decided that a player is "crap" "not puttin` it in" "wants to go" etc....there is no going back is there on here...don`t like to be wrong eh

Many others have a different opinon on here and thankfully so does RK

Why is it so offensive to you that someone has a different opinion? Even the owner of the site felt that wanyama hasn't tried much in many matches this year.

Once its decided that a player is "crap" "not puttin` it in" "wants to go" etc....there is no going back is there on here...don`t like to be wrong eh

Pretty sure Schneiderlin got criticism for his twitter tantrum, but he got his head down and continued putting the effort in. By the time he left most people wished him well and appreciated his spell here.

Many others have a different opinon on here and thankfully so does RK

Pretty much not true. Morgan turned around his little hissy fit last year by doing his talking on the pitch. Victor hasn't shown the same class at all this season.

Pretty sure Schneiderlin got criticism for his twitter tantrum, but he got his head down and continued putting the effort in. By the time he left most people wished him well and appreciated his spell here.

Exactly. There's no "hive mind", most people who can be bothered to hold a coherent debate are flexible enough to see both sides of it and even in my criticism I pointed out Wanyama played well against Arsenal (and probably will against Man U), for obvious reasons.

What he seems to be missing is that big clubs want to buy proven talent - Schneiderlin upgraded from "probably Spurs" to Man U by playing his guts out for another season, whilst Wanyama is sliding from the "Arsenal zone" into the "Liverpool zone".

Obviously on a season by season basis the relative success of the clubs vary, but as a general rule, Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea/Man City = Champions League, Liverpool/Spurs = Europa League. Spurs are on an up at the moment but you wonder if they'd even consider Wanyama and his options are only going to limit further if he's not seen as a 100%er all of the time - plus there's nowhere better to earn lots more money for doing the same thing as the Premier League right now. The teams in the CL bracket there (inc Chelsea) won't even look at him if he's not consistent. Who knows what Liverpool have planned with Klopp's first summer transfer window though.

With the Prem tv deal likely to re-baseline Prem wage levels again much higher, we could (maybe) even see him join someone like Stoke or Leicester if he performs well but not at a very top level and it's all about him getting a pay rise, but no-one's going to take a punt on someone not putting it in.

Why is it so offensive to you that someone has a different opinion? Even the owner of the site felt that wanyama hasn't tried much in many matches this year.

You really are the stalker type arent you....

I will spell it out for you...we all have opinions and i have no problem with others at all...Sorry if that disappoints you

Others post thiers i post mine..get over it...

Do we have to agree with the owner then...:rolleyes: He`s in charge so he must be right...ok

Exactly. There's no "hive mind", most people who can be bothered to hold a coherent debate are flexible enough to see both sides of it and even in my criticism I pointed out Wanyama played well against Arsenal (and probably will against Man U), for obvious reasons.

What he seems to be missing is that big clubs want to buy proven talent - Schneiderlin upgraded from "probably Spurs" to Man U by playing his guts out for another season, whilst Wanyama is sliding from the "Arsenal zone" into the "Liverpool zone".

Obviously on a season by season basis the relative success of the clubs vary, but as a general rule, Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea/Man City = Champions League, Liverpool/Spurs = Europa League. Spurs are on an up at the moment but you wonder if they'd even consider Wanyama and his options are only going to limit further if he's not seen as a 100%er all of the time - plus there's nowhere better to earn lots more money for doing the same thing as the Premier League right now. The teams in the CL bracket there (inc Chelsea) won't even look at him if he's not consistent. Who knows what Liverpool have planned with Klopp's first summer transfer window though.

With the Prem tv deal likely to re-baseline Prem wage levels again much higher, we could (maybe) even see him join someone like Stoke or Leicester if he performs well but not at a very top level and it's all about him getting a pay rise, but no-one's going to take a punt on someone not putting it in.

Very good post, a situation that may be dawning on Wanyama's 'advisors'!...

You really are the stalker type arent you....

I will spell it out for you...we all have opinions and i have no problem with others at all...Sorry if that disappoints you

Others post thiers i post mine..get over it...

Do we have to agree with the owner then...:rolleyes: He`s in charge so he must be right...ok

Don't flatter yourself, I respond to loads of people. I don't have time to follow you around the board. I used the owner as an example to show that generally what people would consider to be balanced and level headed posters also have an opinion that wanyama hasn't put in 100% this year.

For some reason you get very angry if anyone dares to mention something like this. I would calm down if I were you. You may claim you have no problem with the opinions of others but your recent post history and babyish and confrontational debating style suggests otherwise.

Don't flatter yourself, I respond to loads of people. I don't have time to follow you around the board. I used the owner as an example to show that generally what people would consider to be balanced and level headed posters also have an opinion that wanyama hasn't put in 100% this year.

For some reason you get very angry if anyone dares to mention something like this. I would calm down if I were you. You may claim you have no problem with the opinions of others but your recent post history and babyish and confrontational debating style suggests otherwise.

Hi again Stalky...

Someone states an opinion others disagree but according to you i am not allowed to do so...Tough !

I think is you and some others who have the problem with different opinions..

You suggest i have anger...again, sorry to disappoint you but i an not:lol:...But i guess the boss or one of the posters you idolise told you that`s how it is

Hi again Stalky...

Someone states an opinion others disagree but according to you i am not allowed to do so...Tough !

You suggest i have anger...again, sorry to disappoint you but i an not:lol:...But i guess the boss or one of the posters you idolise told you that`s how it is

You are really demonstrating how hard of thinking you are now. On a number of occasions myself and others have pointed out to you that it's not the fact you disagree but how you state your opinion that means you are likely to encounter hostility and most posters thinking you are a bit of a nobcheese. Keep posting in this manner if you wish but then myself and other posters will continue to point it out and highlight your idiocy.

You are really demonstrating how hard of thinking you are now. On a number of occasions myself and others have pointed out to you that it's not the fact you disagree but how you state your opinion that means you are likely to encounter hostility and most posters thinking you are a bit of a nobcheese. Keep posting in this manner if you wish but then myself and other posters will continue to point it out and highlight your idiocy.

Oh dear!!

Not sure how to put this really......But i will try for you..and this time you might grasp it

Could not give a flyin` F*** what you or others think of me at all....ITS A FORUM, NOT A SHOOL YARD...

Sorry calling me a name like the stuff you wipe of your head is just hilarious and must mean i am annoying you...shame

Hi again Stalky...

You suggest i have anger...again, sorry to disappoint you but i an not[emoji38]...But i guess the boss or one of the posters you idolise told you that`s how it is

Oh the irony ......

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I would think that the club trying to extend the contract of a player who is obviously playing well below par are really giving the wrong signal .

Koemans need to pick certain players regardless of their form really damages the team

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

At least he's done better than this one, who seems to be totally useless without his help:

http://http://www.fantasyfootballstrategist.co.uk/2016/01/21/1616/

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/morgan-schneiderlin-2015-16-bench-performances.406512/page-49

What a disappointing signing. A nothing player so far. He can't even get the things right that he was supposed to be good at.

Been really poor lately.

Not starting XI material IMO.

Worrying performance.

These are the games when you want him to stand up and be counted.

Totally invisible and really quite poor. Positional discipline was shocking for someone who is reasonably famed for it

At least he's done better than this one, who seems to be totally useless without his help:

http://http://www.fantasyfootballstrategist.co.uk/2016/01/21/1616/

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/morgan-schneiderlin-2015-16-bench-performances.406512/page-49

What a disappointing signing. A nothing player so far. He can't even get the things right that he was supposed to be good at.

Been really poor lately.

Not starting XI material IMO.

Worrying performance.

These are the games when you want him to stand up and be counted.

Totally invisible and really quite poor. Positional discipline was shocking for someone who is reasonably famed for it

Think you have been a bit selective with your quotes TBH.