Saints are 'increasingly hopeful' on Victor Wanyana signing a new deal

Saint-Armstrong

At least he's done better than this one, who seems to be totally useless without his help:

http://http://www.fantasyfootballstrategist.co.uk/2016/01/21/1616/

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/morgan-schneiderlin-2015-16-bench-performances.406512/page-49

What a disappointing signing. A nothing player so far. He can't even get the things right that he was supposed to be good at.

Been really poor lately.

Not starting XI material IMO.

Worrying performance.

These are the games when you want him to stand up and be counted.

Totally invisible and really quite poor. Positional discipline was shocking for someone who is reasonably famed for it

Haha, brilliant. Schneiderlin's won-lost record for United tells you all you need to know about Van Gaal's management skills at the moment. Hardly his fault they left him completely exposed defensively by playing Fellaini "alongside" him and that's the only game he's played for them this season where they haven't looked good defensively.

Haha, brilliant. Schneiderlin's won-lost record for United tells you all you need to know about Van Gaal's management skills at the moment. Hardly his fault they left him completely exposed defensively by playing Fellaini "alongside" him and that's the only game he's played for them this season where they haven't looked good defensively.

I'd rather he didn't get selected for sat with or without Fellaini by his side tbh

At least he's done better than this one, who seems to be totally useless without his help:

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/morgan-schneiderlin-2015-16-bench-performances.406512/page-49

What a disappointing signing. A nothing player so far. He can't even get the things right that he was supposed to be good at.

Been really poor lately.

Worrying performance.

Totally invisible and really quite poor. Positional discipline was shocking for someone who is reasonably famed for it

This one is better

People need to realise he wasn't the defensive brick wall at Southampton, that was Wanyama.

We need someone of that ilk alongside Schniederlin to get the best out of him.

I think he's been decent though.

so it was Victor making Morgan look good not the other way around :lol:

Quite. But if Van Gaal abandons his principles to try and outscore us like he seemed to against Newcastle we'll have a chance.

I think we'll get chances just less if ms plays. Personally (and I hate doing this) I think we will win - just depends on us not making stupid/silly mistakes which we were prone to before the last 2 games.

I'd be surprised if Wanyama doesn't put in a shift against a potential suitor... Will be interesting to see if we go Wanyama/Romeu or Wanyama/Clasie. I'd go with the former, but that's because I assume we need to defend against them in order to score more. Difficult one to call, which is all good...

I'd be surprised if Wanyama doesn't put in a shift against a potential suitor... Will be interesting to see if we go Wanyama/Romeu or Wanyama/Clasie. I'd go with the former, but that's because I assume we need to defend against them in order to score more. Difficult one to call, which is all good...

He certainly put shift in against West Brom. He seems to at last be developing a partnership with Ward~Prowse.They're both only youngsters .

Been really poor lately.

Worrying performance.

But people on mong boards are probably idiots. Even more so on a Man U one than on here ;) here's the most recent post from a sensible person.

"He's been fantastic for me. The stats aren't a coincidence either. Yes he didn't have his best game against Liverpool but then he was next to Fellaini who spent half his time behind the striker, he's pretty much a 1 man midfield trying to screen the back 4 but also press the midfield.

He can definitely improve and be more confident on the ball, at 1 stage he and Fellaini just kept passing back and forth to eachother, like none of them wanted it. In a 3 man midfield with 2 good passers ahead of him though he would be brilliant."

Edited by Saint IQ

This one is better

People need to realise he wasn't the defensive brick wall at Southampton, that was Wanyama.

We need someone of that ilk alongside Schniederlin to get the best out of him.

I think he's been decent though.

so it was Victor making Morgan look good not the other way around :lol:

It certainly was. I bet Man United would happily swap Schneiderlin for Wanyama now. Without Wanyama, Schneiderlin only looks a shadow of his former self.

Personally I think he'll sign a new contract with a release clause for champions league clubs. This will give him a nice pay rise now and after yesterdays result almost certainly confirming spurs as a champions league team next season, will allow him to go there in the summer, just hope that there's a hefty release fee included.

I'd be amazed if he's with us next season, and fully expect him to go to join spurs.

Rather we flogged him to Arsenal rather than get into any dealing with Poch & Levy, but in truth he isn't Arsenal quality, and would largely be a squad player for Poch given their likely fixture congestion in Europe again.

Interesting comments from Charlie Nicholas who was watching Man U v Saints for Soccer Saturday. He basically said Wanyama was outstanding and the big difference between the two teams. He felt he dominated and controlled the midfield, He then went on to say that he has seen him put in performances like this against several of the bigger teams but rarely against the lower ranked premier league clubs. I am not saying I agree with him as I dont get to every game so would be interested to hear views on this claim, particularly for his performances this season.

Interesting comments from Charlie Nicholas who was watching Man U v Saints for Soccer Saturday. He basically said Wanyama was outstanding and the big difference between the two teams. He felt he dominated and controlled the midfield, He then went on to say that he has seen him put in performances like this against several of the bigger teams but rarely against the lower ranked premier league clubs. I am not saying I agree with him as I dont get to every game so would be interested to hear views on this claim, particularly for his performances this season.

I'd largely agree with that sentiment, and it's something Celtic fans warned us about when we signed him, that he feels like he can coast through games against lesser opposition but will turn it on against the big boys.

It does seem as though a penny may have dropped with him in the last week or two...

So who is?

Romeu and Clasie. The statement was 'by some distance' - everything is black and white to some on here. 3 games on all their definitive statements and wailings vanish. I will stand by that I think Wanyama is massively overrated by many fans and frequently a liability. Also capable of playing v well but far from indispensable.

Romeu and Clasie. The statement was 'by some distance' - everything is black and white to some on here. 3 games on all their definitive statements and wailings vanish. I will stand by that I think Wanyama is massively overrated by many fans and frequently a liability. Also capable of playing v well but far from indispensable.

Last two weeks he's been excellent and was superb yesterday.

Last two weeks he's been excellent and was superb yesterday.

I just think he's suited to certain games and not others. His best games are against the better sides when we're happy to sit back and allow teams to try and break us down, and then he's able to put challenges in, win the ball and play simple passes to put us on the counter attack. That is a very different scenario to when we play against the lesser sides, have 60% of the ball and we ask our midfielders to actually do something with it. Then he comes up short. I expect him to have a good game at Arsenal and then revert to not looking like a proper footballer after that

Sky sports seem to be rubbishing the story though...

Tottenham have been linked this morning with a move for the Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama – with some reports suggesting Andros Townsend could be part of the deal.

But Sky sources are telling us Wanyama would only be sold “if a stupid offer came in” – and that a new contract for the player has been discussed.

We also understand Tottenham have no interest in a central midfielder in this window.

Sky sports seem to be rubbishing the story though...

Tottenham have been linked this morning with a move for the Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama – with some reports suggesting Andros Townsend could be part of the deal.

But Sky sources are telling us Wanyama would only be sold “if a stupid offer came in” – and that a new contract for the player has been discussed.

We also understand Tottenham have no interest in a central midfielder in this window.

They story of a swap is probably rubbish, but I would suggest Sky also have an interest in promoting their own story of him going to Newcastle or Watford (not to mention the action they will see on SkyBet as a consequence).

I wonder if the 'release' of Gaston will give us a bit of leeway in what we can offer him. Maybe that's what we've been trying to sort.

Interesting. I always figured Gaston leaving free'd up Austin money, but it's possible.

If it's not, then certainly the new TV money can go towards it in the summer. I'd still be very surprised if he signed a new deal though.

Interesting. I always figured Gaston leaving free'd up Austin money, but it's possible.

If it's not, then certainly the new TV money can go towards it in the summer. I'd still be very surprised if he signed a new deal though.

Yeah, same. Wanyama will be this years Clyne I reckon, and Mane will be this years Morgan.

Yeah, same. Wanyama will be this years Clyne I reckon, and Mane will be this years Morgan.

100%. I reckon those 2 scenarios are nailed on.

It's possible Pelle will join them from reports. (Which is whilst sad, is understandable given Austin signing and Graziano's contract scenario).

No more than that though, please otherwise we are getting into silly numbers of sales.

100%. I reckon those 2 scenarios are nailed on.

It's possible Pelle will join them from reports. (Which is whilst sad, is understandable given Austin signing and Graziano's contract scenario).

No more than that though, please otherwise we are getting into silly numbers of sales.

Bertrand is my big worry.

If we can get a decent sum for Pelle we should grab it with both hands. 18 months left on his contract which leaves him at an age of 32 coming on 33 where his value will only fall rapidly.

It'll be 12 months in the summer...

Price could go up if he has a good Euro 2016.

The only saving grace there is Ryan has been at one the big boys and didn't want to stay. He might value being a first name on the team sheet type of player at a slightly smaller club (plus he already has a champions league winners medal so his career is complete ;) )

That was my thought, he seems to be enjoying his time here and as we know from Kelvin, sometimes being happy and playing regularly outweighs the bigger bucks. To be fair as long as Premier players don't gamble , drink or snort their money away they will have a comfortable life post retirement.

Of all the players mentioned by the press this window as targets to move (8 of them apart from Gaston!), Ryan is surely the least likely to want to wreck his career. Also for Victor, I'm more inclined to believe the Kenyan press, than the endless articles about how Ian Wright thinks he'd be wonderful for Arsenal. Mane might be another matter - but at least we get him until the end of the season (cue more articles about Man U making a last-minute January window swoop, haven't had one of those for a week or so). Am I alone in thinking Saints figure unduly in all this press speculation?

• 2 weeks later...