hutch

hart

clyne stones smalling bertrand

dier

alli wilshere

barkley

vardy kane

thats my starting 11 assuming fitness

A young midfield full of energy and unpredictably which will be exciting to watch, then you have the front two who could tear up any defence.

Yes it could be an exciting Euro 2016, but you feel Hodgson is on another wave length to most of us.

A young midfield full of energy and unpredictably which will be exciting to watch, then you have the front two who could tear up any defence.

Yes it could be an exciting Euro 2016, but you feel Hodgson is on another wave length to most of us.

Hodgson will never take a risk like that

hart

clyne stones smalling bertrand

dier

alli wilshere

barkley

vardy kane

thats my starting 11 assuming fitness

Agree almost completely. Sterling is not good enough to merit us playing with wingers. Wilshere needs to get fit soon and stay fit to get a start though. More likely to be Henderson or Milner. Maybe Cahill for Stones.

It will end up more like this though.

Hart

Clynne Cahill Smalling Baines

Alli Carrick Henderson

Milner Rooney Sterling

Agree almost completely. Sterling is not good enough to merit us playing with wingers. Wilshere needs to get fit soon and stay fit to get a start though. More likely to be Henderson or Milner. Maybe Cahill for Stones.

Hart

Alli Carrick Henderson

Milner Rooney Sterling

no chance cahill for stones. he's hardly played since zouma/terry started playing well.

also same for wilshire - cannot start for england with little gametime at arsenal. I would say carrick for wilshire and that is an exceptional team:

------------------hart--------------------

clyne---stones---smalling---bertrand

--------dier-----carrick-----alli---------

------------barkley/rooney--------------

----------vardy---------kane------------

people seem to think carrick slows the game down because he's older, but it's the opposite. with no legs, he has to pass it and man utd's midfield look much better with him in. think he could be a real leader in midfield and would like him to start, definitely above wilshire/henderson.

The problem with international football is how difficult it is to get footballers to play a different system to the one they usually use for their clubs - with a major tournament Hodgson should have time to do some coaching and plan his options. The other problem is that fans see the club systems and think "why don't England do that"? When it's often the case with midweek get togethers that there just isn't time.

Of course on the flipside Hodgson's always been a fan of 4-4-2, and Leicester are tearing up the Premier League playing pretty much like that, so maybe he sees an opportunity to spring his favourite formation on international football where if the evidence of the Prem is anything to go on, centre backs will have forgotten how to defend against two strikers.

More likely though he'll stick to a 4-2-3-1, which makes a bit of sense if there's a core of Spurs players like Dier, Alli and Kane in the team, but not much sense if he sticks with the old guard.

Dunno why I'm bothered, I'll be being from Monmouthshire for the tournament (or at least the first two weeks of it) and may as well wax lyrical about Wales' 8-2-0 formation.

Hart

Alli Carrick Henderson

Milner Rooney Sterling

I suspect you'll be absolutely on the money with that line up.

Rooney, Carrick, Cahill, Henderson, and Milner shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11 based on their recent performances.

My line up would be...

Hart

Clyne, Stones, Smalling, Bertrand

Dier

Alli, Barkley, Sterling

Kane, Vardy

For me, Roy has to find a way to get Barkley in the starting line up - he is one of the few raw talents that England has and is having a much more consistent season than in previous years.

If that means leaving Rooney on the bench then so be it - with Barkley and Alli in the side, there is real pace and quality when we break up play.

Can someone, please, tell me the point in Jordan Henderson? He's so frustratingly ****e.

:lol:

Henderson.

Just hearing that name causes me to laugh.

Reminds me of him (on Rodgers' instruction) scuttling over to Rooney to grab the Captain's armband off him when he was subbed off. Rooney chuckled and told him to jog on. Joke of a player.

Yes it could be an exciting Euro 2016, but you feel Hodgson is a complete and utter useless scraggy-faced ****stain of a manager who should have been sacked as a matter of principle after the embarrassment of the World Cup and now has the chance to balls up yet another tournament when we actually have the most exciting young England team we've had in a decade.

Fixed that for you. You didn't quite go far enough for my liking ;)

Don't understand people not wanting England to do well. It's your country. Like Saints are your local team. Did you say you wanted us to do badly when in relegation battles or in League One? No.

Precisely one person on this thread so far has offered that opinion, and they already qualified it with it being in vain hope that being dismal will cause things to change for the better.

Not to mention that not all Saints fans are English, and nor are they everyone's local team, nor that your argument that someone wanting us to do badly for the only reason given for not liking England actually ended up with us getting bought by Markus Liebherr and Saints doing better in the Prem than they have ever done before as a result, which completely supports that line of thinking.

Edited by The9

I don't want the England side to do well at all.

Tired of seeing the same old dross picked again and again and it's only by failing to progress in any competition that the FA might actually do something.

It's a vain hope at best

Don't understand people not wanting England to do well. It's your country. Like Saints are your local team. Did you say you wanted us to do badly when in relegation battles or in League One? No.

I'm with Napalm I'm afraid. Another traitor :(

My hope is if it's real bad we might get some change - I know, I know.......... it's clutching at straws! I was a passionate supporter, from my heart, but that's gone. Can't help what my heart tells me. Can't believe I actually feel that way.

I find it difficult to get behind a team managed by Hodgson, a man who didn't have the honour to offer his resignation after that awful World Cup, a manager who only took one right back with the master plan of putting Milner in there as back up, or who calls up Chambers as soon as he moved to Arsenal, or picks players who spend most of their time sitting on the bench or are out injured for large parts of the season, or a man who doesn't appear to have a philosophy or system, or plays players out of position.

While I'm on the psychiatrist couch I'll admit that seeing Shaw, Lallana and Lambert called up was a very proud moment for me, but come the world Cup they'd gone elsewhere pretty much - that left a bad taste which I've never quite got over concerning England.

I'm not sure who should be the next manager, but whoever it is I'd like him to pick on merit not on team, I'd like him to say that if you're sitting on the bench and not getting much game time you've got no chance with England, I'd like him to say that playing week-in-week-out is important and that being in a CL team doesn't give you any priority. I'd like him to have a system and for him to find the players that best fit that system, not shoe-horning star players in because they are star players. Is that asking for too much?

no chance cahill for stones. he's hardly played since zouma/terry started playing well.

also same for wilshire - cannot start for england with little gametime at arsenal. I would say carrick for wilshire and that is an exceptional team:

------------------hart--------------------

clyne---stones---smalling---bertrand

--------dier-----carrick-----alli---------

------------barkley/rooney--------------

----------vardy---------kane------------

people seem to think carrick slows the game down because he's older, but it's the opposite. with no legs, he has to pass it and man utd's midfield look much better with him in. think he could be a real leader in midfield and would like him to start, definitely above wilshire/henderson.

Cahill will have played another 15 odd Chelsea games by the end of the season.

I like Carrick. If there's a way to play him next to Dier then great. I wouldn't want to see Alli playing too deep though. Does 4-2-2-2 work in real life, or just FIFA?

I like Carrick. If there's a way to play him next to Dier then great. I wouldn't want to see Alli playing too deep though. Does 4-2-2-2 work in real life, or just FIFA?

Depends on how wide some of the 2s are. You don't really want to concede the wide areas in front of the full backs unless you're down to 10 men and can't do much about it.

yes but still not better than stones is he. he's 30. stones has had an up and down season, but still an excellent player

this is where alli plays for tottenham. erikson, kane, lamela, son etc ahead of him. he has dembele behind him to bomb on a little bit - exactly what we'd want for england. carrick sits back allowing dier/alli to get forward. they have enough of a brain and enough energy to match it to be running up and down to help out defensively as well.

Henderson is excellent at harassing the ref which is a key role. Especially if Rooney is out.

Hart

Jones Cahill Smalling Gibbs

Henderson Wilshere

Milner Rooney Sturridge

Kane

that will be our side...or one Roy really wants to try out.....

inspiring

Well if a team in China is willing to pay him £75m over three years they'd probably be willing to pay £25m to sign him.

He may as well, let's face it, I'd spend 900 days in a country where I knew absolutely nothing, couldn't communicate with anyone and didn't like the food or want to be there for £2m a month. In fact I'd probably only go for 6 months. :D

Well if a team in China is willing to pay him £75m over three years they'd probably be willing to pay £25m to sign him.

Hmm..must admit I hadn't thought about China. Still, it would require Rooney to want to go there with Coleen and their kids. What about USA? I can see that being a better fit but not sure they'd cough up £25m.

I'm with Napalm I'm afraid. Another traitor :(

My hope is if it's real bad we might get some change - I know, I know.......... it's clutching at straws! I was a passionate supporter, from my heart, but that's gone. Can't help what my heart tells me. Can't believe I actually feel that way.

I find it difficult to get behind a team managed by Hodgson, a man who didn't have the honour to offer his resignation after that awful World Cup, a manager who only took one right back with the master plan of putting Milner in there as back up, or who calls up Chambers as soon as he moved to Arsenal, or picks players who spend most of their time sitting on the bench or are out injured for large parts of the season, or a man who doesn't appear to have a philosophy or system, or plays players out of position.

While I'm on the psychiatrist couch I'll admit that seeing Shaw, Lallana and Lambert called up was a very proud moment for me, but come the world Cup they'd gone elsewhere pretty much - that left a bad taste which I've never quite got over concerning England.

I'm not sure who should be the next manager, but whoever it is I'd like him to pick on merit not on team, I'd like him to say that if you're sitting on the bench and not getting much game time you've got no chance with England, I'd like him to say that playing week-in-week-out is important and that being in a CL team doesn't give you any priority. I'd like him to have a system and for him to find the players that best fit that system, not shoe-horning star players in because they are star players. Is that asking for too much?

This is exactly how I feel. Watching This is England and remembering how passionate I was about England back then makes me sad. That support has all been ****ed up the wall over the past few major tournaments. Not just because of the consistent dismal failure, but for all the reasons listed above. Finding success with the same worn out hackneyed approach would be a travesty.

It is quite interesting. Italia 90, Euro 92, Euro 96, France 98 and even Jap/Korea 02, I had proper passion for England.

But, in the last ten years or so, it really has wilted. On the whole, the players are not likeable. The managers are uninspiring. There is no identity to the team.

I'm not sure exactly why that has happened. I think it's partly the management determination to stick with proven failures, the triumph of celebrity over team, the refusal to acknowledge that poor players aren't very good and plan accordingly.

I think, on the whole, it is that. It's obstinacy. It's failure to recognise that a vast swathe of the squad is completely ill-equipped for international tournament football and we have been persistently lucky with easy qualifying groups. We need to recognise this and do something about it. Obviously there's FA chance of the FA doing anything useful though.

It is quite interesting. Italia 90, Euro 92, Euro 96, France 98 and even Jap/Korea 02, I had proper passion for England.

But, in the last ten years or so, it really has wilted. On the whole, the players are not likeable. The managers are uninspiring. There is no identity to the team.

I'm not sure exactly why that has happened. I think it's partly the management determination to stick with proven failures, the triumph of celebrity over team, the refusal to acknowledge that poor players aren't very good and plan accordingly.

I think, on the whole, it is that. It's obstinacy. It's failure to recognise that a vast swathe of the squad is completely ill-equipped for international tournament football and we have been persistently lucky with easy qualifying groups. We need to recognise this and do something about it. Obviously there's FA chance of the FA doing anything useful though.

Totally agree. I will watch the games but not really excited. The fact that players who are bit parts for United or Arsenal constantly get in ahead of players playing for sides only a few places below that is just frustrating.

Milner, Phil Jones, Henderson are just awful. How Rooney is an automatic pick still is a disgrace....made worse that he is captain

Seems to me ..." even historically " that those who excel in their club sides " fade away " when thrown in with players from other clubs when they play internationals.

A good club player does well when those surrounding him know how he plays / how to service him.....it's only spectacular efforts that draw attention to players who otherwise struggle for consistancy (Andros Townsend, Ryan Mason) are typical examples.

Harry Kane may opick up the odd goal in friendlies ....but against top class opponents ....he may well disappoint and become anonymous.

The "power" of the London-based media always seem to further the careers of English-born players from London-based clubs ahead of everyone else, and woe betide an English Team manager who ignores their " demands " and the team performs poorly.

Whilst Hodgson holds the strings, Rooney is still a big name, but as soon as " his start wanes ", it'll be someone else.....

Seems to me ..." even historically " that those who excel in their club sides " fade away " when thrown in with players from other clubs when they play internationals.

A good club player does well when those surrounding him know how he plays / how to service him.....it's only spectacular efforts that draw attention to players who otherwise struggle for consistancy (Andros Townsend, Ryan Mason) are typical examples.

Harry Kane may pick up the odd goal in friendlies ....but against top class opponents ....he may well disappoint and become anonymous.

The "power" of the London-based media always seem to further the careers of English-born players from London-based clubs ahead of everyone else, and woe betide an English Team manager who ignores their " demands " when the team performs poorly.

Whilst Hodgson holds the strings, Rooney is still a big name, but as soon as " his star wanes ", it'll be someone else.....

Harry Kane may pick up the odd goal in friendlies ....but against top class opponents ....he may well disappoint and become anonymous.

The "power" of the London-based media always seem to further the careers of English-born players from London-based clubs ahead of everyone else, and woe betide an English Team manager who ignores their " demands " when the team performs poorly.

Whilst Hodgson holds the strings, Rooney is still a big name, but as soon as " his star wanes ", it'll be someone else.....

All very true. This is why players have historically always done well when played in their club pairs.

Who knows but the first 11 will be

Hart

Clyne Stones Cahill Gibbs

Milner Wilshire Lallana Alli

Sturridge Rooney

Change Sturridge and Rooney for Kane and Vardy we need to show some ambition if we are hoping to establish a good team going forward in any event Sturbridge will most likely be crocked

I personally would also put Bertrand in for Gibbs and drinkwater for lallana

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

I'm going too

got tickets for England in Marseilles and Northern Ireland in Nice the following day

I'll be in Nice too, I've tickets for all three NI group games. The atmosphere should be brilliant with 8000 of us Ulstermen at the Poland game. I cannot wait!

Hope we go out in the groups. Then we might get a decent manager in.

Was thinking of putting a bet on us winning the tournament. We've got a young, hungry crop of players who are guaranteed to improve (yes, I know) with tournament experience and maybe, just maybe we might just sneak it. Then I remembered we have Roy Hodgson as our manager.

This.