Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

If anyone wanted to have a look at possible knockout round opponents, here's the map of all the teams in the Champions League and Europa League

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15iJR0WBjDR4BeEx7PXTsHLnjQIA&usp=sharing

I've removed all the teams that we definitely cannot face, either the teams guaranteed to have qualified from the Champions League like Arsenal/PSG or teams that have already been eliminated from the Europa League, like Gabala.

Yeah, teams who finish third in the UCL groups.

I think the match ups work like this....

2nd place teams could end up with a group winner from another EL group or a third place UCL team.

1st place teams will be seeded I believe, so can only be drawn against group runners up.

I may be totally wrong on that...! but I'm sure that's how it's worked before.

But if the group winners were always drawn against a group runner-up, that would just leave the CL teams to be drawn against each other.

I imagine it's more likely that 4 of the CL teams will be seeded along with the group winners. So the group winners play a runner-up or an unseeded CL survivor. The group runners-up play a group winner or a seeded CL team. At the same time they'll do something to prevent teams from the same country being drawn against each other.

But if the group winners were always drawn against a group runner-up, that would just leave the CL teams to be drawn against each other.

I imagine it's more likely that 4 of the CL teams will be seeded along with the group winners. So the group winners play a runner-up or an unseeded CL survivor. The group runners-up play a group winner or a seeded CL team. At the same time they'll do something to prevent teams from the same country being drawn against each other.

Our resident Pedant and Know-All (The 9) gave this info yesterday in post 3247.

Please keep up.

its uefa it'll be fixed anyways ;)

The 2nd leg of the round of 32 is during Feb 1/2 term and I'm in Belgium then so I'm hoping a lowlands/German/French draw so I can drive otherwise I'm screwed.

Half term is the week before for me so I'm praying we win the group.

Right then ladies and gents. What's the name of the main drinking spots in Prague? About to book our hotel.

You ideally need to be around Old Town Square / Wenceslas Square. There's some really good deals on airbnb. We've booked a penthouse apartment through them.

You ideally need to be around Old Town Square / Wenceslas Square. There's some really good deals on airbnb. We've booked a penthouse apartment through them.

Yeah just found a nice apartment on there near new town. Which isn't far from old town. Cheers.

Yeah, teams who finish third in the UCL groups.

I think the match ups work like this....

2nd place teams could end up with a group winner from another EL group or a third place UCL team.

1st place teams will be seeded I believe, so can only be drawn against group runners up.

I may be totally wrong on that...! but I'm sure that's how it's worked before.

Not quite, it's group winners and top 4 ranked CL third place are seeded (12 EL groups and 4 CL teams) and the runners up and worst 4 3rd placed teams aren't seeded and will play a seed.

Apologies for the late response, my battery cable broke when I was in Bradford watching them lose to Accrington on Saturday.

Edited by The9

Not quite, it's group winners and top 4 ranked CL third place are seeded (12 EL groups and 4 CL teams) and the runners up and worst 4 3rd placed teams aren't seeded and will play a seed.

Apologies for the late response, my battery cable broke when I was in Bradford watching them lose to Accrington on Saturday.

Am i correct in thinking, that in the next round, we can only play a team in groups G - L / a CL drop out, or is the 2 different sides of the draw now irrelevant?

I know we can't play an English team until about the round of 16 when I was under the understanding the 2 sides of the draw merge?

Am i correct in thinking, that in the next round, we can only play a team in groups G - L / a CL drop out, or is the 2 different sides of the draw now irrelevant?

I know we can't play an English team until about the round of 16 when I was under the understanding the 2 sides of the draw merge?

Sides of the draw are irrelevant from now on, what matters is finishing position in the group and best/worst 4 CL 3rd place teams, and I've already explained the rest of the seeding twice in the past 20 or so posts. But I'll check the regulations to confirm... (done that, was right...) :)

Seeds:

12 Europa League Group Winners plus 4 Best 3rd Placed Champions League group teams

Non-Seeds:

12 Europa League Group Runners-Up plus 4 Worst 3rd Placed Champions League group teams

Seeds play away on Feb 16th and at home on Feb 23rd.

You can't play anyone from the same country in the round of 32, not sure whether UEFA will still be segregating Russian and Ukrainian sides as they did in the group. The only other limit is that you can't play a team from the same group as you in the round of 32.

From round of 16 onwards it is a "free draw" (I suspect excluding the Russia/Ukraine thing).

Edited by The9

Oh and while I'm there, here's the group tie-breaker: In short, head to head first, then results in all group games.

With the way the fixtures and group are, we can't benefit from the tie-breaker in any situation other than tying with Sparta on 10 points. From the existing position and the results required to get to a tie, we'd lose tie-breakers with both Inter and Be'er Sheva.

Article 16 Equality of points – group stage

16.01 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches,

the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the

teams in question;

b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in

question;

c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams

in question;

d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played

among the teams in question;

e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking,

criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in

question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a

decision, criteria f) to l) apply;

f. superior goal difference in all group matches;

g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;

h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;

i. higher number of wins in all group matches;

j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;

k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in

all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for

two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);

l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D)

Edited by The9

Basically if we win in Prague we're through, unless Be'er Sheva beat Inter and us, and Sparta beat Inter. In that case we'll go out on head to head to Be'er Sheva, and become only the second team in CL/EL history to get 10 points and fail to qualify from a 4 team group.

A Be'er Sheva/Inter draw would leave us just needing to draw with Be'er Sheva at home even if we lost in Prague.

Hmm. a chance to go above Sparta then?

Only on a "this season's rankings" basis - on the overall rankings, which are over a 5-year rolling period (and are the rankings that are used for competition seeding), we're miles behind them and wouldn't be able to catch them even if we managed to win the competition.

Also, (with the exception of a last ditch tie-breaker which can't apply to Saints from this position anyway) euro coefficients are basically done for this year, until needing them for next season's qualification draw and groups.

We will still get ranking points for winning games and progressing etc, but they won't mean anything until the next time we qualify for Europe.

Basically if we win in Prague we're through, unless Be'er Sheva beat Inter and us, and Sparta beat Inter. In that case we'll go out on head to head to Be'er Sheva, and become only the second team in CL/EL history to get 10 points and fail to qualify from a 4 team group.

A Be'er Sheva/Inter draw would leave us just needing to draw with Be'er Sheva at home even if we lost in Prague.

Though we might b eone of the best thrid place teams

Only on a "this season's rankings" basis - on the overall rankings, which are over a 5-year rolling period (and are the rankings that are used for competition seeding), we're miles behind them and wouldn't be able to catch them even if we managed to win the competition.

I think most people realize it is only this years rating, as opposed to overall 5 year ranking, people are just commenting and reporting where we stand this year and points we have gained so far compared to others

This is relevant as should we manage to qualify for Europe again in next few years we will have a much better co-efficient and likely to be seeded higher than we have been for the last two years,

Anyone else flying out from Gatwick on Wednesday afternoon? We're on the 14.20 smartwings flight

Yep. Booked it then read a whole bunch of reviews saying how bad they are. Added to that I'm relying on Southern Rail to get me to Gatwick and there might be strikes on the Wednesday.

Yep. Booked it then read a whole bunch of reviews saying how bad they are. Added to that I'm relying on Southern Rail to get me to Gatwick and there might be strikes on the Wednesday.

Yep, we are stuck with Southern too. Hoping to get to Brighton then up from there.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Depends where you're travelling from! We live in Eastbourne so can get a bus to Brighton if the worst comes to the worst and there's thameslink and gatwick express services that will definitely be running.

I'm coming from Southampton, so probably not.