Saints Reserves v Arsenal Reserves - FA Cup Match Thread

St Chalet

So if you play tennis a have a gruelling match for 4/5 hours you are not given a rest for 5/6 days you have to play te day after!

Completely different sports on completely different surfaces (type and size), requiring completely different physical conditions from the participants.

For starters, tennis players don't have the opponent kicking, pushing and elbowing them as they're chasing for the ball.

Not the best comparison.

We now have the perfect line for those on here , any poor performance can be brushed aside with we beat Liverpool and are going to Wembley.

It's already replaced the "we're 9th in the league" and "10th in the league" excuses that seem to have been spent now we're in the bottom half. To be fair, its a monumental achievement for a club like us and so our players and squad do deserve an amount of leeway because of that.

The League Cup has, without doubt, saved our season but IMO it shouldn't give us a free pass to play poorly for the rest of the season even if we were to win the cup.

we have a paper thin squad, for me I want the best team possible for Wembley. Central defence is where we cant afford any more injuries. Realistically we were unlikely to progress all the way in this cup.

We need players back to fitness

I wonder if Lincoln, Wolves, Oxford etc thought that too?

Of course we were never going to win the FA cup, but it would have been nice to have tried.

If we had taken the same attitude in the League Cup we wouldn't be in the final would we? A stronger team could have tested this Arsenal side.

I tell you what if Romeu gets injured we are ****ed. Reed isn't the answer we really need another decent holding midfielder. The midfield shield today has had all the protection of a ripped condom..

Agreed - Reed has not really kicked on like I Hoped he would. Reed and Clasie have been very poor - but then so have pretty much everyone.

I tell you what if Romeu gets injured we are ****ed. Reed isn't the answer we really need another decent holding midfielder. The midfield shield today has had all the protection of a ripped condom..

Absolutely. For all the demand for a striker and CB, that's more of a lack of bodies, whereas our midfield has a serious lack of quality (Romeu aside).

Yes and an innocuous incident like the one that did for VVD could put him out for the season. We are playing a very risky game with injuries. It's clearly question of minimum possible investment in the squad until the Chinese come in.

Oh, 5-0. Embarrassing.

Maybe I'm just dumb but the whole save players from injury thing doesn't make much sense to me. We have what 5 games until then? Can players not get injured in those ones? Or is Puel going to make them play in zorbs?

The starting 11 from today will be starting all games until the final to save our best players from injury.

Højbjerg is our answer to John Stones. A player that everyone goes 'but he definitely WILL be brilliant one day' to avoid saying he just really isn't that good. In fact, i'd say he's absolutely ****.

Has fallen off a cliff since the start of the season.

I feel sorry for Lewis - hung out to dry. Absolutely nothing in front of him and no central midfield to speak of.

Abysmal performance and abysmal management by Puel.

We have real problems - if we lose VVD in the summer I dread to think what we will be like next season.

What a joke puel doesn't even look worried, he planned for this result!! Thrown the towel in from the beginning... Fuming!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What facial expression would you like him to have which wouldn't set you off on one?

So if you play tennis a have a gruelling match for 4/5 hours you are not given a rest for 5/6 days you have to play te day after!

True, but so has your opponent. If they had the choice of a few days rest they would take it.

I don't get why we are prioritising the league though, we won't qualify for Europe and it's unlikely we will go down. I guess with the money at stake, clubs nowadays don't want to take any risk at all of relegation.