Club Crest: would you change it?

Monk

Pretty sure the club never printed the badge on the players shirts until the current design in 1973. Can’t imagine the original was all that well adopted; IIRC it was never even the official badge, just loosely associated. It’s certainly hard to find anything SFC on google that has the badge, it’s not on shirts, team photo, programmes etc.

On 23/11/2020 at 15:12, djharvey said:

WTF!

With your attitude we'd all still be living in caves/mud huts and grunting at each other! I know they still do down the road, but not here!

Why are you so angry ?,there's nothing wrong with the current emblem.If it aint broke it dont need fixing, or do we need to break it like this seasons kits...............

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

we should probably include something rainbow in there. Perhaps change the red and white scarf to a rainbow one and change the colours of the city flower to one white, one black and one brown to represent the diverse ethnic population of our fine city. 

"Everyone look at me! I'm doing that thing where I mock diversity again in a cutting edge way".

🙄

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Pretty sure the club never printed the badge on the players shirts until the current design in 1973. Can’t imagine the original was all that well adopted; IIRC it was never even the official badge, just loosely associated. It’s certainly hard to find anything SFC on google that has the badge, it’s not on shirts, team photo, programmes etc.

IIRC there was talk in the 90s of replacing the club badge with some ugly stickman logo type figure, not a halo stickman that would look alright but some sort of cartoon, scribble character. Thankfully it never came off. I remember with TUI or OTM fanzines protesting about it

21 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

"Everyone look at me! I'm doing that thing where I mock diversity again in a cutting edge way".

🙄

Coming from the geezer who earlier today dug up a year old thread to try and do a funny…. Which failed spectacularly. 

21 minutes ago, Dman said:

Coming from the geezer who earlier today dug up a year old thread to try and do a funny…. Which failed spectacularly. 

Oh yeah, the guy that was "furious" about the Euro 2020 thread 🤣

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

IIRC there was talk in the 90s of replacing the club badge with some ugly stickman logo type figure, not a halo stickman that would look alright but some sort of cartoon, scribble character. Thankfully it never came off. I remember with TUI or OTM fanzines protesting about it

I remember it as The Echo basically reported it as "this is our new club crest to go on shirts", not may be, will be. And it was dreadful. Like clip art of the old The Saint TV show logo that you might see on the side of a white van going round Portswood.

Then a bit of protest and quietly dropped.

Edit: Sorry, I just remembered he had a fucking scarf for arms.

Edited by CB Fry

20 minutes ago, saintquin said:

Not seen many, if any, new badge's that's an improvement on the one replaced in quite a few years.

There definitely are some, Palace and Man City off the top of my head. I quite like Bristol City’s new one too. Arsenal and Chelsea tidied their’s up, and while I’m not a big fan of either, they’re imo probably better than their predecessors. But in general I agree with you, far too many badges are worse than the thing they’re replacing. Everton’s was laughable and so bad that they replaced it a season later. The Leeds fascist badge was so bad that it never made it beyond its initial announcement.

The Saints badge holds itself because it’s pretty simple in design. The current fashion, if you like, is to clean up and declutter, and despite ours having a few things going on, it’s a pretty simple and clear design really. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, saintquin said:

Even as a silhouette most football fans know that it's Saints badge.

Not seen many, if any, new badge's that's an improvement on the one replaced in quite a few years.

The only one that springs to mind is Reading, who had this terrible badge for a few years, which rumour has it was designed by Ian Branftoot's daughter! The one they have now is half decent.

Reading 1.png

Arsenal's current badge is awful, the simple cannon they had in the 1970s was much better. Chelsea's new badge is just a slightly revised version of a 1970s original and Manchester City have effectively gone back to the 70s after using a far too fancy design. Spurs too tried fancying up their badge and have returned to the simple and elegant cockerel. Villa have a totally anodyne badge and are consulting with fans in an exercise that will probably see an original design restored. Generally far too many clubs have fixed things that aren't broken with their crests and then ended up paying more money to unfix them. Redesigns are far more likely to end up with terrible badges like Stoke and Newcastle than a classic. So while I am not totally against a change, I fear what we could end up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

There definitely are some, Palace and Man City off the top of my head. I quite like Bristol City’s new one too. Arsenal and Chelsea tidied their’s up, and while I’m not a big fan of either, they’re imo probably better than their predecessors. But in general I agree with you, far too many badges are worse than the thing they’re replacing. Everton’s was laughable and so bad that they replaced it a season later. The Leeds fascist badge was so bad that it never made it beyond its initial announcement.

The Saints badge holds itself because it’s pretty simple in design. The current fashion, if you like, is to clean up and declutter, and despite ours having a few things going on, it’s a pretty simple and clear design really. 

Didn't that lot down the road change their badge?

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I remember it as The Echo basically reported it as "this is our new club crest to go on shirts", not may be, will be. And it was dreadful. Like clip art of the old The Saint TV show logo that you might see on the side of a white van going round Portswood.

Then a bit of protest and quietly dropped.

Edit: Sorry, I just remembered he had a fucking scarf for arms.

That’s it, it was bloody awful. You’re right it was in the echo with the story saying the club crest would be replaced with that thing with a picture of a couple of players in the new shirt with it on. Was it in the days of all that “saints the spirt of Southampton” nonsense with that ad the slogan next to Mr scribble scarf arms?

Edited by Turkish

As others have said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a crest design that I preferred to the one we have. One of the few updated crests I think are decent is Norwich and even that has only minor changes.

The silhouette is gash though, it’s not a particularly good shape to remove all detail from. 

7 minutes ago, capitalsaint said:

As others have said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a crest design that I preferred to the one we have. One of the few updated crests I think are decent is Norwich and even that has only minor changes.

The silhouette is gash though, it’s not a particularly good shape to remove all detail from. 

Still instantly recognisable even in silhouette 

17 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s not really an argument. Should we change it every season? Every month? Every week?

I wasn't arguing: just stating a fact. I have no agenda in this debate. It's like the shirt: whatever we end up with each season, so be it. In spite of our great age, we're not really a 'traditional' football club; we're more of a business. If we ran out in blue and white checks, few would bat an eyelid as long as it made money.

As for me, I've been supporting Saints for 60 years and the traditional red and white roses badge was what I was brought up on: not worn on the players' shirts in those days but as fans, it was the badge we wore when we went to away games. But, I'd trade it all - our traditional badge with the red and white roses and kits with the red and white striped shirts to see us win one more major trophy in my lifetime.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

As for me, I've been supporting Saints for 60 years and the traditional red and white roses badge was what I was brought up on. But, I'd trade it all to see us win one more major trophy in my lifetime.

Genuine question. How was the badge prominent in your support of Saints pre 1973? It wasn’t featured on the kit, or much other saints merchandise. How did you come to be brought up on it? What brought the badge to prominence? I’ve looked via google and can’t see much evidence at all of that badge in practically anything Saints related of that era.

Edited by The Kraken

10 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Genuine question. How was the badge prominent in your support of Saints pre 1973? It wasn’t featured on the kit, or much other saints merchandise. How did you come to be brought up on it? What brought the badge to prominence? I’ve looked via google and can’t see much evidence at all of that badge in practically anything Saints related of that era.

It wasn't particularly promiment and whatever makes you happy, makes you happy. I have no problem with that. You need to stop getting so over excited on the rare occasions I post on here.  It's not worth a heart attack. 

But, as you've asked: When I started going to Saints games in the 60s, players didn't wear badges on their shirts. We fans wore red and white scarves and metal lapel badges, depicting the club's traditional red and white rose badge. There were also a few homemade banners with the club's crest on them. At away games especially, wearing the red and white rose badge was how you showed you were a Saints fan. Then, one day, it was announced in a match programme that there would be a competition to design a new club badge. Nobody took too much notice of it and assumed it was something just for schoolchildren. But, when the winner was announced in another match programme, most fans laughed at how childish it looked. Over the years it has aged and consequently gained more gravitas and there are obviously many fans younger than I am who now see it as 'traditional'. It's really not that big an issue. If the majority of fans are now happy with it, fair enough. If we win one more major trophy in my lifetime, I will be happy even if we wear blue and white checked shirts.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

No excitement here Dirk, and hopefully my ticker is doing alright. I was just asking what should be a simple question about our badge history, I’m actually sorry you can’t answer it. My understanding was that Saints never really had an official badge until the ‘current’ design was drawn up, by way of a public competition. You seem to think otherwise, and being as I wasn’t of that age, I don’t know myself other than looking through google so I asked a question of someone who was there for clarity. Oh well.

I agree with Nordic Saint. I had one of the lapel badges, also a cloth one. I also remember the comp to design a club crest. You had to of been a certain age, nearly 70 here, and a supporter all my life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

It wasn't particularly promiment and whatever makes you happy, makes you happy. I have no problem with that. You need to stop getting so over excited on the rare occasions I post on here.  It's not worth a heart attack. 

But, as you've asked: When I started going to Saints games in the 60s, players didn't wear badges on their shirts. We fans wore red and white scarves and metal lapel badges, depicting the club's traditional red and white rose badge. There were also a few homemade banners with the club's crest on bed sheets. At away games especially, wearing the red and white rose badge was how you showed you were a Saints fan. Then, one day, it was announced in a match programme that there would be a competition to design a new club badge. Nobody took too much notice of it and assumed it was something just for schoolchildren. But, when the winner was announced in another match programme, most fans laughed at how childish it looked. Over the years it has aged and consequently gained more gravitas and there are obviously many fans younger than I am who now see it as 'traditional'. It's really not that big an issue. If the majority of fans are now happy with it, fair enough. If we win one more major trophy in my lifetime, I will be happy even if we wear blue and white checked shirts.

Steady on! That’s a bit near the mark. Any colours except those, surely?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

When did rosettes die out?

I think they  might still have been around in '76 and I might have one in the loft.

I still have two rosettes from 76 but I think they died out pretty much from then on. But rosettes tended to be sold by unofficial street vendors and that was the time when clubs began to get interested in protecting their copyright. There were some variations of the city badge that replaced the roses with footballs and I have a supporters club badge, probably from the late 60s, that uses a monk with a halo as the logo.

8 hours ago, The Kraken said:

As a teenager in the early '70s I had a plastic version of the badge (about 6" x 5") on my bedroom wall, in fact I only got rid of it in a clear out a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Turkish said:

we should probably include something rainbow in there. Perhaps change the red and white scarf to a rainbow one and change the colours of the city flower to one white, one black and one brown to represent the diverse ethnic population of our fine city. 

You are on the right track but also add anti fa logo,  Yemeni flag , green peace logo, and maybe a baby to show our support for pro choice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jawillwill said:

It’s called mocking virtue signalling. Have your own opinion but don’t impose it on everyone.

🙄

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

That’s it, it was bloody awful. You’re right it was in the echo with the story saying the club crest would be replaced with that thing with a picture of a couple of players in the new shirt with it on. Was it in the days of all that “saints the spirt of Southampton” nonsense with that ad the slogan next to Mr scribble scarf arms?

Yeah and there was also that godawful advert on Power FM with some load of twats singing a cringeworthy song about the spirit of Southampton 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah and there was also that godawful advert on Power FM with some load of twats singing a cringeworthy song about the spirit of Southampton 

Why did you have to go and say that?!!

"We are the saints, we play to win, we are the saints and we dont sin, we are the spirit of southampton, oh when the saints go marching in."

Amazing the things that can trigger traumatic memories. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why did you have to go and say that?!!

"We are the saints, we play to win, we are the saints and we dont sin, we are the spirit of southampton, oh when the saints go marching in."

Amazing the things that can trigger traumatic memories. 

😆

As soon as Midfield General said that I started singing the song in my head. Such a lah de dah nonsense of a song.

• Like 1

Just now, The Kraken said:

😆

As soon as Midfield General said that I started singing the song in my head. Such a lah de dah nonsense of a song.

The fact we can remember it 30 years on means they did their job 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Around the time of Mr Scarf Arms Scribble Man, I recall the club’s strap line being ‘Saints is the South’. I always thought surely it should have been Saints are the south. Either way it was a terrible line.

I always quite liked the strapline on the front of the programme "welcome to the Dell for South Coast Soccer"

12 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Around the time of Mr Scarf Arms Scribble Man, I recall the club’s strap line being ‘Saints is the South’. I always thought surely it should have been Saints are the south. Either way it was a terrible line.

From memory, it was “The Spirit of Southampton” that accompanied good old scribble man. 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...