Club Crest: would you change it?

Monk

Absolutely keep the current crest......didn’t mind too much when they updated the ball and I would like to see 1885 incorporated into the badge. Where would it go though? Maybe a subtle 1885 on one end of the scarf? Somewhere on the shield? .....always thought we should show how old we are as a club......  mind you I don’t fancy any Latin phrases! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Belcher said:

Would rather cover my nads in honey and lay in a pile of fire ants naked than have the above as our crest.

Perfect way it is.

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Normal weekend for me

Just asking for a friend........

Do you know if my friend could substitute Honey with Lemon Curd or Golden Syrup? as sadly Honey brings me out in a terrible rash.

Many thanks in advance

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

Absolutely keep the current crest......didn’t mind too much when they updated the ball and I would like to see 1885 incorporated into the badge. Where would it go though? Maybe a subtle 1885 on one end of the scarf? Somewhere on the shield? .....always thought we should show how old we are as a club......  mind you I don’t fancy any Latin phrases! 

You could possibly put 18 left of the rose and 85 on the right side!

I would rather go back to what we had  than have that American style rubbish!

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Absolute shite. I still haven't seen anyone do a better effort than our current one. 

And there’s the rub. There’s plenty of our fans that don’t like our badge, fair enough. Yet I’ve never seen any other redesign that looks better.

Personally, I quite like ours. It’s immediately recognisable as us and IMO doesn’t look outdated, and while I agree it’s not exactly fine art, I like the assimilation of all things Southampton into the badge. It also seems to be quite well received amongst neutrals, there’s been a few fan polls done down the years of best club badge and ours is often up there.

Until someone comes up with something better, ours is fine for me.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Has anyone seen the other clubs they've tried to adjust?

https://sportslens.com/premier-league-club-crests-2020/317874/

They need to leave well alone! Imagine the uproar at the Palace one in particular! wtf is that!

SportslensComp-CrystalPalace-2020-02-696

I quite like the Villa one and the Liverpool one is ok, the rest are shit, ours particularly but not as bad as Man Us.

Their designs for every club is worse than the current version. They don't seem to realise how cheap they look, with rigid straight lines and bold font everywhere...Premier League clubs are a premium brand these days and want everything to look quality. 

Our badge btw is one of the best around, it's unique (there's an awful lot of just shields and circles out there) and incorporates many aspects of the local area. As someone said above, including 1885 somewhere on there would be good but otherwise, leave it alone.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of the badge as with all the various elements it appears too cluttered.

Up until a couple of seasons ago I'd have welcomed a change. This type of thread has run a few times before and on one occasion I think a poster under the name of Gecko gave some excellent alternative options.

However I've come to realise that any change is likely to be a modern abortion of a design so would rather it be left alone. The suggested design here is perhaps a prime example of why it should remain.

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Has anyone seen the other clubs they've tried to adjust?

https://sportslens.com/premier-league-club-crests-2020/317874/

They need to leave well alone! Imagine the uproar at the Palace one in particular! wtf is that!

SportslensComp-CrystalPalace-2020-02-696

They are all utter sh*t.  But I note they are done by a "graphic designer from the US".  That would explain why they look sh*t.  Graphic design in the US is way behind anything over here, hence the love of CAPITALISING EVERYTHING.  Ugh. 

The Saints badge should be left alone. This is discussed every year, just leave it the f**k alone. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the current badge, bit too gimmicky for me.

Now I fully intend to win the Euro£Millions this weekend and then go straight out and bang the lot on a 10/1 shot at the races. When it storms home I'm gonna buy SFC and the first thing I'll do, and this won't please everyone/anyone, :classic_rolleyes: is change that darn badge and it will probably look something more like this

spacer.png

Edited by alehouseboys
pic disappeared

This is the traditional city coat of arms and it used to adorn the Boardroom walls at the Dell

spacer.png

I wouldn't normally praise anything relating to that little island to the east but they certainly got it right reverting back to their current emblem that ties in with council. It pops up everywhere down there, all the councillors wear lapel badges, the street names show it, it's on all kinds of literature so constantly promotes the club too. The shield element of the Southampton crest was the SFC badge until 1974 (although we never had it on the shirts), it's still used around the city and wouldn't harm the club to share the exposure.

But what about this, is someone taking the piss?  http://www.vitraux.co.uk/product/ref-ed329-2-edwardian-stained-glass-windows-armorial-heraldic-coat-arms/ed329cl2/

1 minute ago, alehouseboys said:

This is the traditional city coat of arms and it used to adorn the Boardroom walls at the Dell

spacer.png

I wouldn't normally praise anything relating to that little island to the east but they certainly got it right reverting back to their current emblem that ties in with council. It pops up everywhere down there, all the councillors wear lapel badges, the street names show it, it's on all kinds of literature so constantly promotes the club too. The shield element of the Southampton crest was the SFC badge until 1974 (although we never had it on the shirts), it's still used around the city and wouldn't harm the club to share the exposure.

But what about this, is someone taking the piss?  http://www.vitraux.co.uk/product/ref-ed329-2-edwardian-stained-glass-windows-armorial-heraldic-coat-arms/ed329cl2/

Surely that is much worse for the skates than us, if they've been running around with a Southampton heraldic coat of arms on their shirts! Lol

14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They are all utter sh*t.  But I note they are done by a "graphic designer from the US".  That would explain why they look sh*t.  Graphic design in the US is way behind anything over here, hence the love of CAPITALISING EVERYTHING.  Ugh. 

The Saints badge should be left alone. This is discussed every year, just leave it the f**k alone. 

Never knew that about US graphic design. But the graphics they use on their TV channels/programmes really are shit, all look alike and 20 years out of date.

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Now I fully intend to win the Euro£Millions this weekend and then go straight out and bang the lot on a 10/1 shot at the races. When it storms home I'm gonna buy SFC and the first thing I'll do, and this won't please everyone/anyone, :classic_rolleyes: is change that darn badge and it will probably look something more like this

spacer.png

A combination of that and the existing would be enough for me!

Take the existing saints badge, remove the southampton fc from the bottom and then place it within your design (obviously removing the old southampton shield first). 

image.png.24f5ecb18a4dce771828bc61249857b5.pngimage.png.0224724812d269631a30ac7e7517590a.png

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

spacer.png

That's probably the best version of the old badge I've seen. But it needs a halo

and a tree and two rivers and maybe a ball and scarf would be nice.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, djharvey said:

Take the existing saints badge, remove the southampton fc from the bottom and then place it within your design (obviously removing the old southampton shield first). 

image.png.24f5ecb18a4dce771828bc61249857b5.pngimage.png.0224724812d269631a30ac7e7517590a.png

The 1976-77 FA Cup winners badge was like that.

19 hours ago, djharvey said:

Here's a compromise combo

spacer.png

Edited by alehouseboys
Call me old fashion but I still prefer the old roses :)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, djharvey said:

image.png.4960278489c84cda388b07b7171bf5a3.png

Now i'm no expert but did that in about half hour using others images and paint.

If the club did that then i'd be happy!

No doubt, that certainly improves the look of our current badge for me (thought the same when they did similar after 76) so, if nothing else.....

Edited by alehouseboys
Typo

4 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

No doubt, that certainly improves the look of our current badge for me (thought the same when they did similar after 76) so, if nothing else.....

Yeah, the club really don't need to do anything more than a slight update/refresh. We don't need/want a total re-branding. 

I really believe the addition of  "THE SAINTS" and 1885 within the circular badge whilst also enlarging the font on Southampton fc actually compliments/enhances our current design

A few tweaks to my effort below, but really think that would take a lot of beating without upsetting a whole swathe of the fan base!

On 13/09/2017 at 09:23, adriansfc said:

100%. I think ours has always been a little cartoony. Also think most clubs need a revamp now with the amount of use of social media, phones etc.

People mocked the simplicity of Juventus' new badge but think it actually works really well and looks modern.

Think the days of a scarf and football on the badge should be over.

Football is about history. and Saints have a proud history, reflected in the design. Our crest is a proud, positive upbeat design and it It can be recognised from a distance.

Most modern redesigns by clubs are impersonal, weak. and lack character..

No way change ours.

• Like 3

On 19/11/2020 at 19:31, alehouseboys said:

spacer.png

This has stirred something in my memory, did you get this from your old scouts uniform?

6 hours ago, djharvey said:

Yeah, the club really don't need to do anything more than a slight update/refresh. We don't need/want a total re-branding. 

I really believe the addition of  "THE SAINTS" and 1885 within the circular badge whilst also enlarging the font on Southampton fc actually compliments/enhances our current design

A few tweaks to my effort below, but really think that would take a lot of beating without upsetting a whole swathe of the fan base!

The text of Southampton FC is a bit more modern than currently used, but that’s the only improvement on what we’ve got. The red outside the circle is pretty awful, and I don’t believe any sports team should have their nickname written out on the badge, symbology is enough.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

The text of Southampton FC is a bit more modern than currently used, but that’s the only improvement on what we’ve got. The red outside the circle is pretty awful, and I don’t believe any sports team should have their nickname written out on the badge, symbology is enough.

Red outside the circle was just to give idea on a red stripe

4 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Do you have any  images of the city shield only, i could use for a mock up ?

Ignore me if I'm stating the obvious - Google 'Southampton Crest' - click images - open - right click 'save as image'

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

This has stirred something in my memory, did you get this from your old scouts uniform?

No. I was a Brownie

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The scarf and the ball are just so 70s. Revert to the city crest with some fine adjustments like introducing 1885 into it.

I like the idea but a major influence in the club's dedision making is that they'd never own the full copyright to the city crest as they would to a bespoke design. I'm not sure the minor tweaks/additions would satisfy the club that it wasn't easy to pass off on merchandise. 

A crest I found intersting was on a the Church hall or building near St Mary's at the time the stadium was built, it combined the city crest with the St Mary's crest which from recollection was crossed keys. That would have been a suitable change at the time we were moving back to the area (although probably still subject to a copyright consideration).The building though is no longer there and I've been unable to trace this on the internet since.