Club Crest: would you change it?

Monk

9 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Funereal black is not a good look for anyone with a bit of hope for the season ahead.  The date in the black, gives it a headstone feel. Having "we march on" under it, just makes me think of shambling zombie movies. Mess. 🙂

The only thing missing is RIP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Good grief, this is awful.

What teenage Goth thought this was a good idea? Some drug-crazed kid with a degree in naffology probably. It came with my season ticket for next season. 

20220801_123630.jpg

My words to Mrs JBS "Ah Season Ticket is here, along with another bit of tat I can wear to stand out in the crowd as a fan of worth..........not!".

At least the packaging is mostly recyclable.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Good grief, this is awful.

What teenage Goth thought this was a good idea? Some drug-crazed kid with a degree in naffology probably. It came with my season ticket for next season. 

20220801_123630.jpg

Do they really believe that we are more likely to buy a season ticket with this sort of tack included. What a waste of money. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

Do they really believe that we are more likely to buy a season ticket with this sort of tack included. What a waste of money. 

No one who buys a season ticket is even remotely basing it on whether they get a badge or not. Most people would be happy just to get the card in the post.

FWIW my son got a keyring rather than a badge. Same design, "that's pretty cool" he said.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

No one who buys a season ticket is even remotely basing it on whether they get a badge or not. Most people would be happy just to get the card in the post.

FWIW my son got a keyring rather than a badge. Same design, "that's pretty cool" he said.

In fairness I am getting quite old and my children used to like the badges - It was not the deal maker though!

2 hours ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

With three season tickets in our household that's three boxes sent separately. Why can't they put them in one package?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

In fairness I am getting quite old and my children used to like the badges - It was not the deal maker though!

They've cut down on the shit that used to come in the box at least. 

The idea for the box was pretty good too, making every one unique but then I partly thought "just chuck it an envelope and be done with it."

Saying that, we'll look back on these with fond memories when we are using fingerprints to enter the stadium or having our retinas scanned at the turnstile!

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

They've cut down on the shit that used to come in the box at least. 

The idea for the box was pretty good too, making every one unique but then I partly thought "just chuck it an envelope and be done with it."

Saying that, we'll look back on these with fond memories when we are using fingerprints to enter the stadium or having our retinas scanned at the turnstile!

Are they? Wasted on me. I thought mine was the only one that was unique.

On 14/07/2022 at 12:39, Turkish said:

we should probably include something rainbow in there. Perhaps change the red and white scarf to a rainbow one and change the colours of the city flower to one white, one black and one brown to represent the diverse ethnic population of our fine city. 

Racist, sexist and homophobic. There's a position going in the Conservative Party if you fancy it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Max said:

Racist, sexist and homophobic. There's a position going in the Conservative Party if you fancy it?

first post in over 4 years is to have a pop at me, yet another poster who rarely posts despite being on here for years and posts about me. You need to get a new hobby sunshine

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

how about putting derby road on it or the gas works..............ffs leave it along people or we end up with someone scribbling out a design with crayons and end up calling it the new saints kits for 22/23 season.

It's only a bit of fun, the club ain't taking any notice of a bunch of loons on a football forum - if they wanted to change it, they wouldn't really care what we thought about it

48 minutes ago, saintquin said:

How about putting StMary's spire on it.

St Mary's church (which we owe our whole being to) is about the only thing that has anything to do with Saints and the area that's not!

Seriously though I quite like it as it is.

If we were going for any symbol of Southampton it should be one instantly recognisable and a symbol of strength...ahem, just a bit of fun...

spacer.png

(FFS did that work that time?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

It's only a bit of fun, the club ain't taking any notice of a bunch of loons on a football forum - if they wanted to change it, they wouldn't really care what we thought about it

spacer.png

(FFS did that work that time?)

If they do decide to change it I just hope the prick who was responsible for agreeing this years kits isn't involved in the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Not every circular badge is based on the City Group, Aston Villa's was first circular in 1973. Though in fairness City's was first circular in 1960 (and indeed as was the original St. Mark’s crest back in 1880)

I know it was a joke.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2022 at 22:02, Roo1976 said:

how about putting derby road on it or the gas works..............ffs leave it along people or we end up with someone scribbling out a design with crayons and end up calling it the new saints kits for 22/23 season.

I'm very much against changing the badge usually, but if someone could do an artful homage of Derby Road pre-Premier League, perhaps incorporating the silhouette of a Ford Sierra,  it could be our USP.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Luke said:

In response to the original post - No.

In response to the original OP I would say - Yes. Absolutely.

Just shows differing opinions on this. I've never liked it, a gimmicky mess to me. I don't know what the tree is about, I can only assume the city parks, others have suggested the New Forest but why that would be represented on this football club's crest I wouldn't know. Southampton isn't in the New Forest and there's a large body of water between to two places.

Would have been better to have had a ship, the Bargate or some grungy old docker* on it to depict the city it comes from  : )

*tongue-in-cheek

10 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

In response to the original OP I would say - Yes. Absolutely.

Just shows differing opinions on this. I've never liked it, a gimmicky mess to me. I don't know what the tree is about, I can only assume the city parks, others have suggested the New Forest but why that would be represented on this football club's crest I wouldn't know. Southampton isn't in the New Forest and there's a large body of water between to two places.

Would have been better to have had a ship, the Bargate or some grungy old docker* on it to depict the city it comes from  : )

*tongue-in-cheek

It's the New Forest. And it's fine ss it is.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 17:07, SotonianWill said:

I don’t understand why they turned the lion around?

I believe traditionally in art looking to the right is going forwards, looking to the left going back, but probably it was that someone just wanted it to look a bit different i.e. change for the sake of change and kidding people you are "pro-active".

If it ain't bust, don't fix it. Ours has weathered well and is still doing just dandy. It looks good within a circle of lettering, within a shield or just straight on to a plain background.

Would look better with a couple of gold stars above it but we will have to wait a few years for that to be justified.