Weston Mckennie

Pilchards

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he'll cost a bit too much. Going by the media reports Mangala is around 10-15m, Ntcham is more in the £20m ballpark.

We like our 10-15m signings, so Mangala could fit that bill.

Yeah, it would be a much more sensible price bracket area if you do the maths. 

Will be interesting to see what snippets pop up around Europe in the next week or so.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Have to wonder about his decision to move to Juve, by all accounts he's not a CL-level player if his only links to the Prem were us and Villa. He'll struggle for time at Juve but I expect his bank manager will be pleased.

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yeah, it would be a much more sensible price bracket area if you do the maths. 

Will be interesting to see what snippets pop up around Europe in the next week or so.

Potentially we'll have £8m from Reed shortly, then maybe a couple of mill on a loan fee for Lemina. Then we may have enough scraped enough together to put a bid together for a player in the 10-15m bracket!

I think we're hamstrung on the wages, but I don't think we have much free cash to play with either IMO. If we're honest our model has always been sell and buy, even under Koeman - we got lucky with the amount we got that window. But one or two poor transfer windows and that entire model comes crashing down like a pack of cards, as we have no one to sell to raise the funds, and lots of poor players on big money.

It's a bit different at other clubs who have owners willing to invest a little though, but we don't have that and haven't really had that since Markus.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Potentially we'll have £8m from Reed shortly, then maybe a couple of mill on a loan fee for Lemina. Then we may have enough scraped enough together to put a bid together for a player in the 10-15m bracket!

I think we're hamstrung on the wages, but I don't think we have much free cash to play with either IMO. If we're honest our model has always been sell and buy, even under Koeman - we got lucky with the amount we got that window. But one or two poor transfer windows and that entire model comes crashing down like a pack of cards, as we have no one to sell to raise the funds, and lots of poor players on big money.

It's a bit different at other clubs who have owners willing to invest a little though, but we don't have that and haven't really had that since Markus.

Agree with all that.  The poor recruitment basically stopped us in our tracks.

I expect those 3 to all be loaned out again.

This potential signing has got all the hallmarks of a typical saints pre-season.

1. Its gets speculated that we are interested in player I've never heard of.

2. I furiously watch youtube and research articles and scout reports and anoint myself and expert on this player and league.

3. I quickly conclude that this bloke is mustard and is world star in waiting, but always we need to shift some deadwood from our wage bill first.

4. Player then goes to be a back up at a big team or ends up 10mil cheaper to some mid level german or Italian team than we were quoted

5. I revert back to my position he was overrated chancer and instead we have someone better in mind.

6. Instead we sign no one and I pretend this was always the plan to give the young players a pathway.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

€7m a year apparently, €134k a week! Laughable wages.

I think Juve must be one of the few Italian teams to pay those sorts of wages. Many players in Italy would jump at the salaries offered over here. What Southampton needs is a decent Italian restaurant and a wood-fired pizzeria to attract them along with the wages...

4 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I think Juve must be one of the few Italian teams to pay those sorts of wages. Many players in Italy would jump at the salaries offered over here. What Southampton needs is a decent Italian restaurant and a wood-fired pizzeria to attract them along with the wages...

https://smokeypizzasouthampton.co.uk/about-us/

😉

Edited by Matthew Le God

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Thread over...

What? A football club posting video footage of a new signing they moment they arrive in the country...?

I thought the done thing was to wait several weeks before a club partakes in such brazen activities...?

#wheressalisu

;)