Weston Mckennie

Pilchards

Obviously something is going on so I thought it was time to start it’s own thread.

From clips that I’ve seen he out jumps anyone as a holding midfielder although he’s only 6ft 2.

With the other German centre back being linked maybe Ralph is looking at getting some headed goals from JWP excellent crosses/corners.

Does anyone think Weston is the perfect match for us?

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Despite Adam's denial we are very much interested.

I'm trying to figure out why a respected journo/reporter such as Adam Blackmore would go along with what appears to be an attempt at a smokescreen via the club.

One assumes he can't/won't come out afterwards and say he agreed to post misleading info on behalf of the club, so surely he's putting his reputation on the line by going along with such a ruse?

Either that or the club didn't tell Adam that what they were telling him was untrue, although why would the club 'dupe' a respected local media figure in that way?

I guess the more innocent explanation is that Adam Blackmore simply hadn't heard that we were interested in McKennie and for some reason decided to translate that lack of info into a definitive "club not interested" in his tweet, when really he should have written a less definitive "haven't heard that the club are interested" tweet?

Or... the most likely explanation is that I'm over thinking things, just for a change... :)

I think Hypo put the pertinently point on another thread.... This will only happen IF Reed decides to move on.

The Blackmore denial was probably to give Reed time to mull things over. As its in the media again, I would imagine Reed has decided to move on.

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

I think Hypo put the pertinently point on another thread.... This will only happen IF Reed decides to move on.

The Blackmore denial was probably to give Reed time to mull things over. As its in the media again, I would imagine Reed has decided to move on.

Reed or McKennie is a no brainer.

They must make sure they put a 25% sell on thingy on Reed though.

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

Reed or McKennie is a no brainer.

They must make sure they put a 25% sell on thingy on Reed though.

A circa £20m player with high wage demands for his age.... we've been there before recently!!!

I think the Blackmore remark about McKennie only said 'we haven't made a bid'. i don't think it said we are not interested or we never will make a bid.....so, I am still hoping because the guy does seem to fit our profile and our needs. He would complete a good window

19 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I think the Blackmore remark about McKennie only said 'we haven't made a bid'. i don't think it said we are not interested or we never will make a bid.....

image.png.8ca1a6fd26c466018dedce45cd801142.png

Edit: I suppose it could be argued that we weren't in for McKennie at the time of that post but that we have become interested in him since....?

Edited by trousers

Seen some good scouting reports on him, but little worried Carl Anka didn't rate him as he was pretty switched on.

Doubt we'll see any movement before the unwanted bunch are moved on, we are probably waiting on that to free up wages. 

Between Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina, Forster alone that is probably £250-300k a week in wages, add in Reed, Vestergaard, Boufal, Gunn and Sims who are also possibly not wanted as well and you are looking at close to £500k a week there or £26 million a year. 

Some other possibly related news - looks like Serdar (also schalke midfield) wont be signing an extension and he is rated better than Mckinnie there.

Not for us but if he see's himself moving to a bigger club then maybe they will hold onto Mckinnie ?

"Serdar, he himself says, would like to play "Champions League or Europa League" and go to the 2021 European Championship. Instead of a contract extension, it could therefore mean farewell." Source Kicker

I wouldn't say he's a technical ball playing midfielder by any means. Lots about his heading ability in that video! I guess our intention is for him to break up the play/the oppo defensive lines by winning headers, and have the likes of JWP/Armstrong pick up the loose balls and open teams up. That seems quite a simplistic tactic, but could be a reason. We don't really win a great deal in the air via midfield at the moment, not sure we have since Morgan and Wanyama were here.

I don't think he's a pretty player or someone who will get you off your seats, Reed is probably more technical by looking at the reviews/write ups on this fella.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, trousers said:

image.png.8ca1a6fd26c466018dedce45cd801142.png

Edit: I suppose it could be argued that we weren't in for McKennie at the time of that post but that we have become interested in him since....?

spacer.png
Dan Sheldon at The Athletic seems to have contradicted that today - surely has a similar if not better level of contacts than Adam, so maybe things have changed in the past week or so.

Weston McKennie Characteristics

+ Strengths

Defensive contribution
Very Strong
Aerial Duels
Strong
Blocking the ball
Strong
Ball interception
Strong

- Weaknesses

Concentration
Very Weak
Finishing
Weak
Tackling
Weak

Weston McKennie's Style of Play

Indirect set-piece threat

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Weston McKennie Characteristics

+ Strengths

Defensive contribution
Very Strong
Aerial Duels
Strong
Blocking the ball
Strong
Ball interception
Strong

- Weaknesses

Concentration
Very Weak
Finishing
Weak
Tackling
Weak

Weston McKennie's Style of Play

Indirect set-piece threat

I may be reading too much into it, but seems slightly contradictory that defensive contribution is "very strong" yet tackling is "weak".... one would have thought that those two attributes go hand in hand....?

p.s. would be interesting to see a comparitive set of these gradings for Hojbjerg....

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I may be reading too much into it, but seems slightly contradictory that defensive contribution is "very strong" yet tackling is "weak".... one would have thought that those two attributes go hand in hand....?

p.s. would be interesting to see a comparitive set of these gradings for Hojbjerg....

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg Characteristics

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels
Strong
Concentration
Strong
Ball interception
Strong

- Weaknesses

Discipline
Weak

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg's Style of Play

Gets fouled often
Likes to tackle
Commits fouls often
  • Like 1

PEH:

Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating
Premier League 30(3) 2751 - 1 5 - 1.4 78.1 1.7 1 6.83

Mckennie:

Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating
Bundesliga 24(4) 2078 3 - 8 - 1.1 80.9 2.3 1 6.78

Mckennie's obvious standout strength is his heading ability, that's showing up in all these stats. Although he does have a slightly higher pass completion than PEH...but that wouldn't be hard! All his goals came from set pieces too, so it's again pointing at that standout strength. He seems to be able to hang in the air which is quite a unique quality. 

I think he'd add some genuine height and power to our CM area, more than PEH offered. With Mckennie if we get him and Salisu, we've automatically added power and strength down the spine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Obviously something is going on so I thought it was time to start it’s own thread.

From clips that I’ve seen he out jumps anyone as a holding midfielder although he’s only 6ft 2.

With the other German centre back being linked maybe Ralph is looking at getting some headed goals from JWP excellent crosses/corners.

Does anyone think Weston is the perfect match for us?

If he's 6'2" then everyone else in those video clips must be >6'8. Wiki says he's 1.85m / <6'1". He doesn't look either of those heights. 

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

Lot of comments but who has seen him play? I only did once and didn't notice him much. Carl Anka didn't rate him after seeing a few times, he didn't go into detail on why.

I'd trust Ralph but it's probably the key role in the team really the amount of effort the 2 midfielders put in. I imagine we'll start with Romeu at Palace anyway just for knowing the system. Just need to get a big signing right for once. Especially when it will likely mean letting Reed go cheap, and I can really see him having a good season at Fulham.

Schalke are on BT a lot as they are obvious a big club in Germany.

Last season I could only describe him as bang average in a bang average team.

I'm a shit judge of a player though.

1 hour ago, adriansfc said:

Lot of comments but who has seen him play? I only did once and didn't notice him much. Carl Anka didn't rate him after seeing a few times, he didn't go into detail on why.

I'd trust Ralph but it's probably the key role in the team really the amount of effort the 2 midfielders put in. I imagine we'll start with Romeu at Palace anyway just for knowing the system. Just need to get a big signing right for once. Especially when it will likely mean letting Reed go cheap, and I can really see him having a good season at Fulham.

I watch a lot of German football, I saw him last season in a German cup game v Kaiserslautern whilst visiting family. He was awful, terrible first touch, well off the pace, gave away a penalty and got sent off. Awful player 

2 hours ago, adriansfc said:

If Reed wants to go then we won't be stopping him. 

30 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Clever little website, not sure I'd read too much into it though. Based on this alone:

Currently the best player at Southamptonis Jannik Vestergaard. His performance index is 296, he scored 1goals and provided 1 assists. With 5 shots on goal and a conversion rate of 12.5 he is at the moment 92in the Premier League.

• Haha 2

Currently the best player at Southamptonis Jannik Vestergaard. His performance index is 296, he scored 1goals and provided 1 assists. With 5 shots on goal and a conversion rate of 12.5 he is at the moment 92in the Premier League.

Can some pass this info on to Leicester!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

I watch a lot of German football, I saw him last season in a German cup game v Kaiserslautern whilst visiting family. He was awful, terrible first touch, well off the pace, gave away a penalty and got sent off. Awful player 

Someone else I know who watches loads of Bundesliga reckons bigger cigars and fuller brandy balloons than were seen at a Monaco when we bought Carrillo would be out in the boardroom after we leave the suitcase of cash on the table after if we buy him.

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Most of our signings under Ralph have worked out so far (Danso an exception, although he was only a loan). If Ralph rates him and thinks he'll improve us, thats good enough for me

Have they? He’s only made 4 permanent signings and two of them in the last two weeks Djenepo looks to have ability but has spent more time injured or suspended than playing since he arrived. Jury very much out on him. Apart from Adams golden spell at the end of the season a lot of fans were willing to see him sold and replaced this summer. Walker Peters couldn’t get a game ahead of Valery, when he did you wondered why that was the case he looks a good signing so let’s see how his permanent move works out. I’d say one poor signing and 3 yet to convince to be blunt. 

Edited by Turkish

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Have they? He’s only made 4 permanent signings and two of them in the last two weeks Djenepo looks to have ability but has spent more time injured or suspended than playing since he arrived. Jury very much out on him. Apart from Adams golden spell at the end of the season a lot of fans were willing to see him sold and replaced this summer. Walker Peters couldn’t get a game ahead of Valery, when he did you wondered why that was the case he looks a good signing so let’s see how his permanent move works out. I’d say one poor signing and 3 yet to convince to be blunt. 

I thought it was quite obvious Valery was starting those matches as Walker-Peters wasn't up to speed with our way of playing yet.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought it was quite obvious Valery was starting those matches as Walker-Peters wasn't up to speed with our way of playing yet.

Even when football started after lock down and Valery started he with him on the bench?