A team of English non Internationals.

saintquin

Was talking of Nick Holmes to a friend and both agreed that he was one of our best players not to have got a cap.

This made me think about a Saints team of non international English players.

So apart from Nick I would say maybe Steve Moran.

Anyone willing to add a name or two?

1 minute ago, saintquin said:

All the above are great shouts.

It's surprising Case never got a full cap. Played more for Saints than any other club, which I was also surprised at!

I’d say it’s genuinely amazing Jimmy never got a cap, he won three European Cups and won the league four times!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, trousers said:

I genuinely didn't realise that Case was uncapped. Which players of a similar ilk blocked his path to selection?

Around 76/77/78 would be Terry Mac, Butch Wilkins, maybe Gerry Francis, Brian Talbot. None of which were particularly better than Jimmy was then . After that Brian Robson, but Case probably wasn’t quite good enough  then , which maybe why  Liverpool let him go.

There’s no doubt he’d have caps nowadays, as would Billy Bonds, another that remained uncapped. It’s also unbelievable that Howard Kendall never got a cap, wonderful player. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

13 hours ago, waylander said:

David Peach

Good choice, a fantastic player in his time with us. Was called up to the squad at one point but don't think he played.

Neil Ruddock - similar I think, only a squad selection

From recent times - Jack Cork

Just now, Badger said:

Good choice, a fantastic player in his time with us. Was called up to the squad at one point but don't think he played.

Disregard that have just seen both Ruddock and Cork have a sinle cap.

Widening this to all four home nations always though Eric Martin was unlucky not to get a Scotland cap when he really hit form one season.

29 minutes ago, Badger said:

Ruddock played once I think, was when Venables was manager in a friendly. 

I used to like Jack Cork, always thought he was very underrated. Good footballer.

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

I used to like Jack Cork, always thought he was very underrated. Good footballer.

agree but he did play for England u.21 and Great Britain in uk olympics so can be classed as International.

Edited by rooney
Spelling

4 hours ago, kwsaint said:

Steve Mills.  Would surely have played for England had it not been for the car crash.  Was never the same afterwards, and died far too young

I loved watching play and was lucky enough to have played against him in a charity match.

Think he was about to get called up for the national side just before his crash.