Phil Spector

ecuk268

51 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Died aged 81.

Big influence on music in the 60's and 70's working with artists like The Beatles 

Fucking messed up nearly everything he touched when it comes to The Beatles. Listen to the McCartney’s 2003 remix of “Let it be” to see what an album it could of been. To omit “don’t let me down” and then put soppy mush on the other tracks was criminal. He then totally over produced “all things must pass”, which could have been one of the greatest album ever. “Imagine “ the album was a horrible mush again, and what he did to John Lennon “Rock and Roll” was a fucking disgrace , although his behaviour during the recording, including shooting the ceiling out with a gun, hinted at what was to come. Not a patch on George Martin or McCartney himself when it comes to producing them. Did some great  stuff that was made for radio working with session greats like Leon Russell, Glen Campbell & Carol Kaye, but his Beatles stuff was fucking woeful. He deserved locking up for that alone. 

Good riddance to the loon. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

Bit of a genius in his time, made some absolute incredible tunes including the best Christmas album ever (which, in a Saints related nod included The Bells of St Mary's)

Took some of the techniques that were pioneered by Joe Meek to a totally new level, and alongside Brian Wilson they revolutionised music production.

Obviously a complete nutter but his legacy will live on in the music industry forever.

• Like 1

Spector's best production, IMO, was the Righteous Brothers single "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". It was first released in the U.K. in January, 1965 (reaching #1 for two weeks). It was re-released in early 1969 (reaching #10). I was prompted by the re-release to buy The Righteous Brothers Greatest Hits LP at Edwin Jones in Southampton. I was living in Blackfield at the time (on the Lepe Road, between Holbury and Langley). The single came out a third time in 1990, climbing to #3.

I agree with LD's criticism of Spector's Beatles productions. They were awful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hamilton Saint said:

Spector's best production, IMO, was the Righteous Brothers single "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". It was first released in the U.K. in January, 1965 (reaching #1 for two weeks). It was re-released in early 1969 (reaching #10). I was prompted by the re-release to buy The Righteous Brothers Greatest Hits LP at Edwin Jones in Southampton. I was living in Blackfield at the time (on the Lepe Road, between Holbury and Langley). The single came out a third time in 1990, climbing to #3.

I agree with LD's criticism of Spector's Beatles productions. They were awful.

What's your best Rolf Harris paining?

1 hour ago, Hamilton Saint said:

Spector's Beatles productions. They were awful.

Really looking forward to Peter Jackson’s delayed new version of the movie  Let it be, which fingers crossed is out this summer. Then we’ll really see what a pigs ear Spector & Michael Lindsay-Hogg made of the original project. 

• Like 1

Peter Jackson's everywhere. Personally, I didn't like his Lord of the Rings and Hobbit efforts (whatever they were called). Too much special effect stuff on battles (anybody can do that), not enough subtleness. Best break-out movie for me is ET. 

And here comes the ridiculous comments ... 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Really looking forward to Peter Jackson’s delayed new version of the movie  Let it be, which fingers crossed is out this summer. Then we’ll really see what a pigs ear Spector & Michael Lindsay-Hogg made of the original project. 

Agreed. Although Spector was brought in after the fact (I think Lennon was the instigator on that decision) to put together an album from the mountain of recordings (and given a completely free hand)--despite the fact that Glyn Johns pulled together two different versions of a proposed album, both of which were rejected. What Johns did was pretty much what the Let It Be--Naked album became. Lindsay-Hogg's mistake was to use too much of the dispirited performance footage done at Twickenham--rather than the cinema verite, behind-the-scene footage that Jackson seems to be favouring. From what I saw in the 'sneak-peek' footage, Jackson's film should be awesome!

Edited by Hamilton Saint

5 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Did Spector produce Sergeant Pepper's?  Vinyl albums for these are now collector's items over here, bit like old 60's and earlier Morris Minors. 

No. That was George Martin. Spector only got involved with the Beatles right at the very end, much to McCartneys disgust. As Hamilton wrote, Lennon really brought him in and he ended up producing (badly) some of his and George’s solo albums. Paul wrote a letter to the other 3’s manager Allen Klein laying out his opposition to Spector’s work on one particular song and the rearrangement of his songs probably contributed to him realising the band was over.

EB21CB95-BF5E-4E21-9551-9551E2BBD647.jpeg

• Like 1