Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Just now, Teddeer said:

He should have spotted what was happening and gone to three at the back. That way at least we would have been a lot harder to break down. The manager's job is to spot these things and change our play not just stand there and watch us being torn apart by the likes of Leeds.

Who'd have gone to right wing back?

The space out wide for Raphinia and Costa would have been scary had we gone 3 at the back, they'd have been on us even more. It wouldn't have fixed anything.

7 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We played well in the first half without making the most of our chances.

If keeping the ball for long periods of time without ever looking like scoring is playing well,  then yes,  we did.  We then went on to get completely out fought and out played.

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Im not saying he’s great, he’s average, always has been. But he’s the best we’ve got and he’s not helped by woeful defending and Golden Bollocks ducking rather than taking  one in the face. 

I’d turned off by the time they scored their third but I’ve just seen the replay of him duck out the way of the free kick - absolutely fucking embarrassing to be honest. Sunday league or not I stood in many a wall facing a free kick and you’d tense yourself up and expect to take one for the team. Totally indicative of the poor mentality of our squad and captain.

We need a leader out on the pitch, question his ability all we want but at least Stephens shows some bollocks and leadership. Not sure what JWP brings to the party other than his dead ball ability.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

He could have put JWP there. We needed to be doubling up on their two wide men not given them all that grass to run at Bednarek and Bertrand.

But then we'd have had even less of a midfield. There wasn't any real fix for today, he couldn't have changed much from the bench without having a natural full back there.

The good news is that we've got it all to go again on Monday.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I’d turned off by the time they scored their third but I’ve just seen the replay of him duck out the way of the free kick - absolutely fucking embarrassing to be honest. Sunday league or not I stood in many a wall facing a free kick and you’d tense yourself up and expect to take one for the team. Totally indicative of the poor mentality of our squad and captain.

We need a leader out on the pitch, question his ability all we want but at least Stephens shows some bollocks and leadership. Not sure what JWP brings to the party other than his dead ball ability.

Nothing 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

But then we'd have had even less of a midfield. There wasn't any real fix for today, he couldn't have changed much from the bench without having a natural full back there.

We had Armstrong, Redmond, Romeu, Minamina, Djenepo all of who are or can play midfield (although I don't class Mini as a midfielder myself). Ralph could have made some switches to stem the tide. If you don't try something then the pressure just keeps building.

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Anyone who tells me that there isn't an agenda against us needs to look at the some total of decisions that have gone our way and those that have gone against us. Since that iffy penalty against Brighton I swear we haven't had one borderline decision go for us.

If there was no cheating at least one would go our way... 

Bollocks, we’re just an incredibly weak team with a one trick pony as manager. We are heading for relegation this season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

He could have put JWP there. We needed to be doubling up on their two wide men not given them all that grass to run at Bednarek and Bertrand.

And taken him out of midfield? who would he play in Midfield in his place? 

15 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

We had Armstrong, Redmond, Romeu, Minamina, Djenepo all of who are or can play midfield (although I don't class Mini as a midfielder myself). Ralph could have made some switches to stem the tide. If you don't try something then the pressure just keeps building.

Romeu was already on the pitch in central midfield. Redmond, Minamina or Djenepo playing the Ward Prowse central midfield role, LMFAO.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

You do know that today's squad included numerous midfield players don't you?

The only one I can see is Jankewitz on the bench. The others (Armstrong/Moussa/Minamino/Redmond) are attacking midfielders/wingers and should never be anywhere near the centre of midfield in a pivot role. They'd have been gobbled up.

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Romeu was already on the pitch in central midfield. Redmond, Minamina or Djenepo playing the Ward Prowse central midfield role, LMFAO.

What you think JWP is some kind of midfield warrior do you? Take away his dead ball skills and tell me what you are left with.

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

You do know that today's squad included numerous midfield players don't you?

Yes but not all midfielders like Ward Prowse. That piss weak argument is like saying our defence tonight had all defenders in it so all of them can play right back. 

What you think JWP is some kind of midfield warrior do you? Take away his dead ball skills and tell me what you are left with.

A lot more to a central midfield role than Nathan Redmond would sunshine. You haven’t thought any of your comments though have you.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Just now, Teddeer said:

Someone much better than Redmond, Moussa or Minamino in that role.

JWP isn't great at the moment, but none of those players could play his role. Not even close.

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Your using that game as a comparison  🤣 comical. Worked at treat at Celtic but what does Brendan Rogers know 

Armstrong is the only possible option, but he’s rarely played there for us, there is a reason for that.

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Your using that game as a comparison  🤣 comical. Worked at treat at Celtic but what does Brendan Rogers know 

We aren't playing in the Scottish league. Our former youth player couldn't get a game in the national league but is playing up there. I'd look good in that league. And I'm old. And fat. 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Someone much better than Redmond, Moussa or Minamino in that role.

JWP isn't great at the moment, but none of those players could play his role. Not even close.

But it's a suggestion of at least trying to do something to stem the flow towards our goal and the clear cut chances rather than just doing the same old. Somebody in the dugout has to stand up and be counted and make a tactical change. Others do it against us and it often transforms a game as Leeds did today. You can't just stand their and take the punishment, you have to fight back.

Just now, Teddeer said:

But it's a suggestion of at least trying to do something to stem the flow towards our goal and the clear cut chances rather than just doing the same old. Somebody in the dugout has to stand up and be counted and make a tactical change. Others do it against us and it often transforms a game as Leeds did today. You can't just stand their and take the punishment, you have to fight back.

Do you seriously believe playing Nathan Redmond Or Djenepo as a defensive  Midfielder would “stem the flow towards our goal”?

2 minutes ago, egg said:

We aren't playing in the Scottish league. Our former youth player couldn't get a game in the national league but is playing up there. I'd look good in that league. And I'm old. And fat. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Yeah no one who plays in Scotland is any good 

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yep unfortunately only one spot up for grabs, don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t want him there as normal position but he can play there 

We had times when we didn’t have Diallio or Romeu available and Ralph still didn’t pick him there, there is a reason for that.

But only when you have the tools to fight back with. It would have been like fighting back on the trenches with Nerf guns or water pistols, is it worth the hassle of even trying that when you know the outcome?

I can't help but feel sorry for Ralph and how he's been totally hamstrung here. He's not blameless at all, but christ he's got a bad spin.

So how does the untested one get tested and how does the one who failed his test get the chnce to retake it?

Not when we're in the mess that we're in at the moment. Confidence gets shot by losing. Kids don't need that. 

We need JWP in the middle, Armstrong as a 10 where he brings something to the attack, and our roundest round peg in the RB hole. Personally I'd play Stephens or Ramsey there, Bednarek isn't the answer. 

Look, if a midfielder can't do a different job than he's used to to plug a gap when we are being over run then we might as well give up. They are all professional footballers and all should be able to tackle, track runners, mark opponents etc etc. They are paid millions for this shit and should all be capable of adapting to help a tactical change. Nobody is asking them to play there permanently but if they can't fill in for 30-40 minutes then what's the point.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Are you only allowed to play one formation then 

So What you’re saying is you want to move Armstrong back from his usual position as an attacking midfielder, to play in the Ward Prowse role, so JWP can move to right back. However you say Armstrong doesn’t usually not  There before because he’s not defensive, But we could play a different formation, presumably with Armstrong playing in his usual attacking midfield role right As he’s not defensive? That’s what you’ve just said In about 8 posts pal. I think you’ve confused yourself.

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Look, if a midfielder can't do a different job than he's used to to plug a gap when we are being over run then we might as well give up. They are all professional footballers and all should be able to tackle, track runners, mark opponents etc etc. They are paid millions for this shit and should all be capable of adapting to help a tactical change. Nobody is asking them to play there permanently but if they can't fill in for 30-40 minutes then what's the point.

If that’s the case surely just carrying on with Bednarek at right back, he’s a defender so can plug a gap in defence, he’s a professional footballer we should be able to tell, tackle, Mark opponents etc.

nathan Redmond as defensive midfielder LOL

Edited by Turkish

12 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Ok, I'll answer you in case you're serious, although it looks like weak trolling to me.

Yes, he's a brilliant midfield warrior. He breaks up play, covers, is always available for a pass. He's added a bit of steel to his game, can tackle, knows when to keep the ball and recycle, which he does very well, whilst his looking for the forward pass is much improved. He's our most important player by mile.

• Sad 1

Just now, Turkish said:

So What you’re saying is you want to move Armstrong back from his usual position as an attacking midfielder, to play in the Ward Prowse role, so JWP can move to right back. However you say Armstrong doesn’t usually not  There before because he’s not defensive, But we could play a different formation, presumably with Armstrong playing in his usual attacking midfield role right As he’s not defensive? That’s what you’ve just said In about 8 posts pal. I think you’ve confused yourself.

Nonsense, we play two defensive midfielders, is there a need for that. Stop trying to overcomplicate things 

Just now, Turkish said:

I’d that’s the case surely just carrying on with Bednarek at right back, he’s a defender so can plug a gap in defence, he’s a professional footballer we should be able to tell, tackle, Mark opponents etc.

Slightly different as you well know. Bednarek is a centre back whereas all the players mentioned are midfielders

• Confused 1

Just now, Teddeer said:

Slightly different as you well know. Bednarek is a centre back whereas all the players mentioned are midfielders

How is it you expect defenders not to be able to fill gaps but midfielders can? Kevin De Bruyne and Jordan Henderson are both midfielders, doesn’t mean they do the same job 

Unlucky not to be 2 up at half time. Not blaming Tella for his miss as he is clearly improving with each game... but if that chance falls to Armstrong it’s in the net. 

KWP would’ve had a tough night against Raphina. Felt for Jan and it won’t be getting any easier for him anytime soon. Valery would’ve been roasted by Raphina.

The form of Ings and Adams is really poor. They look like strangers.