Coronavirus

whelk

Some **** has started a petition entitled ‘Give parents the option not to send children back to school if they reopen in June’ and it has 13k signatures already.

If you want to home-school your children then go for it, but don’t expect teachers to set them personalised lesson plans indefinitely just because you can’t face the school run.

Almost as bad as the ****s calling for a referendum on lock down.

I don't think he was very clear about whether or not we are still allowed to do the conga round the estate with all of our neighbours, or if that was just a VE day-only thing.

Can we take showers yet or still only allowed to wash our hands?

Problem with that speech...as happens with a lot of leaders I suppose, is that it's clear Boris was being pulled by his war hawks (the Redwoods, the 1922 committee.....the ones that got him into office) and the rest of his party so that's why we've ended up with that mess of a speech.

Some **** has started a petition entitled ‘Give parents the option not to send children back to school if they reopen in June’ and it has 13k signatures already.

If you want to home-school your children then go for it, but don’t expect teachers to set them personalised lesson plans indefinitely just because you can’t face the school run.

From reactions on here it is clear many would be frightened to send their kids to what is almost certain death. Lighthouse?

From reactions on here it is clear many would be frightened to send their kids to what is almost certain death. Lighthouse?

Haven’t got any kids.

If I did I’d be sending them back to school in line with this timetable as their education would be very important. I wouldn’t however be sending them to the Wacky Warehouse for a birthday party.

Anywhere where people shout a lot and spray their spittle over others is a dangerous place. Obviously this rules out St. Mary!’s ;)

Restaurants aren’t good. Parks, shopping centres, garden centres, recycling centres are hardly more dangerous than usual.

You haven't answered the question, but let's run with it.

It seems that what you're saying is that apart from restaurants, pretty much everywhere else is safe to visit? It's therefore incredibly confusing to work out why the 'home' / 'family residence' is where the majority of infections occur. You know, the place where most people spend a lot of time in close proximity to one another. Surely that should be the place where least infections occur given that anyone who leaves the house is going to a 'safe' place and is not likely to catch the virus in the first place in order to spread it around when they get home? Is that how it works?

Haven’t got any kids.

If I did I’d be sending them back to school in line with this timetable as their education would be very important. I wouldn’t however be sending them to the Wacky Warehouse for a birthday party.

School 5 days a week, 7 weeks from June to nominal end of term = 35 school days, 6 hours a day, 210 hours active contact with other children (let's be conservative and say 60 other children/adultsacross those 210 hours. The adults/children will change a little each day.

Wacky Warehouse absolutely no chance of being open during the same time, but in the spirit of the argument, let's say a birthday party but with social distancing applied as well as a school can: 2 hours (1%) 12 children (let's say 90% of them being school friends from the same school), so maybe 2 new children they haven't already been exposed to for hours already.

So the party is 2 new children across 2 hours vs 210 hours with 60+ children and adults repeatedly. But you think not doing the Wacky Warehouse is your cure-all contribution.

Anyway, no one is putting on a bloody birthday party for a long time so fairly irrelevant.

But, Much like the hairdresser/football thing you seem to think the disease only spreads through activity you disapprove of. And repeatedly missing the big picture that once you've decided to do one massive thing (open hairdressers, open schools) the compound impact of doing other, smaller things is jack sh it.

Maybe try and learn a little bit of incredibly basic epidemiology.

Edited by CB Fry

So the party is 2 new children across 2 hours vs 210 hours with 60+ children and adults repeatedly. But you think not doing the Wacky Warehouse is your cure-all contribution.

Is this an exclusive wacky warehouse? You seem to have forgotten the other 3 parties they held that day with probably the same number of kids as in your example but all from different groups. Then there's the very nature of a WW with a ball pit etc, where, ignoring the fact that social distancing will be impossible to police amongst a group of hyperactive kids, those kids will be jumping, climbing, snotting, sneezing, coughing etc all over the equipment. WWs are basically germ warfare, but in the grand scheme of things, ordinarily that isn't a bad thing as kids need to be introduced to germs in order to increase their immune systems...

Is this an exclusive wacky warehouse? You seem to have forgotten the other 3 parties they held that day with probably the same number of kids as in your example but all from different groups. Then there's the very nature of a WW with a ball pit etc, where, ignoring the fact that social distancing will be impossible to police amongst a group of hyperactive kids, those kids will be jumping, climbing, snotting, sneezing, coughing etc all over the equipment. WWs are basically germ warfare, but in the grand scheme of things, ordinarily that isn't a bad thing as kids need to be introduced to germs in order to increase their immune systems...

You decided to cut out from my post the line where I say that no Wacky Warehouse is going to be open so I am not sure who or what this post is supposed to be for or about.

Maybe you could try to butcher this post to make some other counterpoint to something else I haven't said in the first place. Have fun if it makes you happy.

Edited by CB Fry

Looks like we're all going on holiday to see Window Cleaner this summer ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52610594

Yep that is bizarre. Its literally opened up Europe for summer holidays when people were thinking they'd have to stay at home. There will be a stampede today to book ferries and Eurotunnel. Not just France either, because once you're there there are no border checks with other countries.

School 5 days a week, 7 weeks from June to nominal end of term = 35 school days, 6 hours a day, 210 hours active contact with other children (let's be conservative and say 60 other children/adultsacross those 210 hours. The adults/children will change a little each day.

Wacky Warehouse absolutely no chance of being open during the same time, but in the spirit of the argument, let's say a birthday party but with social distancing applied as well as a school can: 2 hours (1%) 12 children (let's say 90% of them being school friends from the same school), so maybe 2 new children they haven't already been exposed to for hours already.

Anyway, no one is putting on a bloody birthday party for a long time so fairly irrelevant.

But, Much like the hairdresser/football thing you seem to think the disease only spreads through activity you disapprove of. And repeatedly missing the big picture that once you've decided to do one massive thing (open hairdressers, open schools) the compound impact of doing other, smaller things is jack sh it.

Maybe try and learn a little bit of incredibly basic epidemiology.

As with the whole football/hairdressers/B&Q thing you've clearly missed my point completely. Or you've chosen to or your pretending to because you like being sarcastic. In any case, never mind. You have a nice day, sir.

You decided to cut out from my post the line where I say that no Wacky Warehouse is going to be open so I am not sure who or what this post is supposed to be for or about.

Maybe you could try to butcher this post to make some other counterpoint to something else I haven't said in the first place. Have fun if it makes you happy.

There was no need to keep the rest of your post in as there was nothing else I disagreed with. Bit sensitive aren't you?

Looks like we're all going on holiday to see Window Cleaner this summer ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52610594

Best of luck with that then. We're on a sort of deconfinement now but you still need a paper to use the Paris Underground and you can't travel more than 62 miles from home without a very solid reason..ie not a day out or holidays. Most touristy places and beaches are still closed anyway. Next review 2nd June when if we're "sage" we might be able to leave the region we live in.

Went to the shop this morning, seemed much calmer and less panicky than last week.

Best of luck with that then. We're on a sort of deconfinement now but you still need a paper to use the Paris Underground and you can't travel more than 62 miles from home without a very solid reason..ie not a day out or holidays. Most touristy places and beaches are still closed anyway. Next review 2nd June when if we're "sage" we might be able to leave the region we live in.

Went to the shop this morning, seemed much calmer and less panicky than last week.

Is there a significant difference between the red zone and the green?

Yes but by late June / July / August when most people take their holidays things will be open again

Yes but by late June / July / August when most people take their holidays things will be open again

Who knows, depends on what happens in the next week or so. The government kind of advised us against booking any holidays anywhere apart from in our immediate area until further notice.

People queuing for 2 hours to go to the tip. Families of 3 generations treating an essential shopping trip like a group outing when I was in Costco earlier. Hoards of kids out on their bikes together and sat around in parks.

What are people like?

People queuing for 2 hours to go to the tip. Families of 3 generations treating an essential shopping trip like a group outing when I was in Costco earlier. Hoards of kids out on their bikes together and sat around in parks.

What are people like?

Well they're just idiots. There's no solution, they're determined to do whatever they want, much to their own eventual disadvantage and that of others. Still in 8 weeks we've all learnt to just avoid the idiots haven't we. Failing that the police just need to be handing out those fine sheets like confetti.

If anyone does want to home school I know an excellent GCSE and A Level Geography tutor who has produced superb results over the last couple of years. Due to social distancing he can only do online tutoring at present.

Well they're just idiots. There's no solution, they're determined to do whatever they want, much to their own eventual disadvantage and that of others. Still in 8 weeks we've all learnt to just avoid the idiots haven't we. Failing that the police just need to be handing out those fine sheets like confetti.

How are they idiots? Government estimates reckon the majority of us will have caught it by next year regardless. Probably around 6 million Brits have done so already. Going out to the park, picking up a nice small dose that doesnt make you too sick or maybe even partially innoculates you is a perfectly reasonable strategy compared to waiting for a couple of months to be jammed into a tube train being coughed on for an hour every morning and night.

Edited by buctootim

What are people like?

They're not idiots. They are people wanting to get on with some sort of worthwhile life.

Is there a significant difference between the red zone and the green?

Not really, school stuff mainly. Rules are still pretty strict and the fines for not following them just as big.

But people here are seeming to be making a real effort, leaving space on the tube, wearing their masks etc. Mind you, you don't get on the Tube if you don't have a mask anyway. They hand them out at stations. I'm going to the hairdressers on Wednesday but if you ain't got your mask you don't get a haircut...plain and simple.

Edited by Window Cleaner

They're not idiots. They are people wanting to get on with some sort of worthwhile life.

You can send one person shopping and then all go for a picnic. I don't see how taking 5 people to Costco including grandparents who looked about 80 can be considered a good idea at all.

Johnson had a bit of a mare in the Commons earlier. Floundering over words, ignoring the perfectly reasonable questions Keir Starmer asked.

You can send one person shopping and then all go for a picnic. I don't see how taking 5 people to Costco including grandparents who looked about 80 can be considered a good idea at all.

Johnson had a bit of a mare in the Commons earlier. Floundering over words, ignoring the perfectly reasonable questions Keir Starmer asked.

Perhaps Johnson should have stayed off Common's Work a bit longer, CoVid19 leaves some pretty difficult after effects on occasions.

How are they idiots? Government estimates reckon the majority of us will have caught it by next year regardless. Probably around 6 million Brits have done so already. Going out to the park, picking up a nice small dose that doesnt make you too sick or maybe even partially innoculates you is a perfectly reasonable strategy compared to waiting for a couple of months to be jammed into a tube train being coughed on for an hour every morning and night.

You mean the herd immunity strategy they were lambasted for, yes?

Fines now start at £100 and can be doubled after each offence up to a maximum of £3600.

Costco only let two people in.

This has been my most exciting day trip over last 6 weeks.

Given we can now drive anywhere in England to take our exercise, is Weston going to get busy ?

Not sure we're allowed to drive 'anywhere' in England yet - haven't they stated there should be a 'common sense' approach?

Even so, Weston in theory shouldn't get busier as most of the town is based on 'leisure' - hotels, B&B's, shops, amusements, pubs, take aways etc which are all still closed - but who knows, that didn't stop them flocking to the beach in March....

Not sure we're allowed to drive 'anywhere' in England yet - haven't they stated there should be a 'common sense' approach?

Even so, Weston in theory shouldn't get busier as most of the town is based on 'leisure' - hotels, B&B's, shops, amusements, pubs, take aways etc which are all still closed - but who knows, that didn't stop them flocking to the beach in March....

Boris did say "drive as far as you want" for exercise in the House of Commons earlier. Which feels mental at this point.

Weekend will be interesting.

From the BBC; "Mr Johnson also says people will be allowed to drive “as far as you like" to reach outdoor spaces. " .

I live exactly half way between Blackpool and Morecambe, and suspect that with the good weather and the numbers on 'furlough', such a statement will provde the incentive to test the emerging new reality, despite the leisure related businesses being closed. Over the Easter weekend Blackpool Police fined a number of people from Greater Manchester who were holding barbecues on the beach.

From the BBC; "Mr Johnson also says people will be allowed to drive “as far as you like" to reach outdoor spaces. " .

I live exactly half way between Blackpool and Morecambe, and suspect that with the good weather and the numbers on 'furlough', such a statement will provde the incentive to test the emerging new reality, despite the leisure related businesses being closed. Over the Easter weekend Blackpool Police fined a number of people from Greater Manchester who were holding barbecues on the beach.

Next door to Marton Mere and behind ERNIE is where I lived for four years in the late 90's. Enjoyed Blackpool at the time but would probably hate it now!

Will the Scots make the trip down - that was Blackpool's bread and butter back in the day!

Costco only let two people in.

This has been my most exciting day trip over last 6 weeks.

Today there were loads of families together in there. The policy is one guest, so if mum and dad are both members they can bring a guest each and the kids too. Hence the fact there were groups of 5 and 6 wandering around together.

Next door to Marton Mere and behind ERNIE is where I lived for four years in the late 90's. Enjoyed Blackpool at the time but would probably hate it now!

Will the Scots make the trip down - that was Blackpool's bread and butter back in the day!

Scots' week was the first week of their school holidays, which were earlier than in England. Given that the Scots are keeping stricter travel restrictions, and we English have been warned not to cross any of the UK's internal borders, in theory they should stay at home. Mind you, Blackpool now seems to be where long term benefits claimants migrate to.

Almost all of the ERNIE site has been demolished.

Highly unlikely according to recent estimates (based on serological testing).

The death rate seems to be around 0.5% so with 32,000 dead that would give around 6.4 million having been infected.

Meta-analysis of the published literature suggests that an IFR of 0.5% is at the very low end of the range of estimates. Its probably closer to 0.75% but could be as high as 1%. Needless to say there isn't a single IFR as it will vary from place to place and population to population.

More relevantly Chris Whitty (per The Cat and today’s No.10 press conference) suggests that roughly 10% of Londoners have had the virus whereas it is only 4% for the rest of the country (based on serological/antibody testing). Put together that's substantially lower than 6.4m.

Edited by shurlock

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus