Coronavirus

whelk

??? Well here’s a thing. In New York two thirds of new hospitalisations are of people who stayed at home.

(From about 1:00 in)

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6154826983001#sp=show-clips

Not sure what your point is. Harries was asked during one of the press conferences (Friday?) by the press, where do most infections happen. Clearly they were expecting her to answer with hospital, bus, train etc, but she was quite clear when she stated in the 'family unit at home'.

Not sure what your point is. Harries was asked during one of the press conferences (Friday?) by the press, where do most infections happen. Clearly they were expecting her to answer with hospital, bus, train etc, but she was quite clear when she stated in the 'family unit at home'.
And? That's the whole point of the government's strategy - it's highly infectious so once it goes into a household, everyone in that household is very vulnerable.

Do you think Dr Harries was suggesting everyone should pile on a train or a bus to get away from their disease ridden homes?

Glad the ONS bloke in Marr criticised the bs stats we get at the briefing. Far richer information to be imparted but they feel the need to treat us like idiots.

It’s going to come down to risk management

And? That's the whole point of the government's strategy - it's highly infectious so once it goes into a household, everyone in that household is very vulnerable.

Do you think Dr Harries was suggesting everyone should pile on a train or a bus to get away from their disease ridden homes?

No. HTH.

The point is that home is not the safest place. Obviously individual circumstances vary but if there are several of you living there and somebody, maybe a key worker, brings the virus into the household then the close proximity and prolonged exposure will encourage its spread.

Merely ‘staying at home’ is not the best approach.

It’s not ‘highly infectious’ else everybody would have caught it by now. Infection depends upon prolonged exposure. Fleeting contact and small dosage is not sufficient.

The point is that home is not the safest place. Obviously individual circumstances vary but if there are several of you living there and somebody, maybe a key worker, brings the virus into the household then the close proximity and prolonged exposure will encourage its spread.

Merely ‘staying at home’ is not the best approach.

I just rewatched that clip as I wasn’t sure what it was actually trying to convey and as far as I can tell, those stats are actually complete b*llocks. That 66% isn’t people who are staying at home and self isolating, it’s people who actually live in their home. I.e. people not in prison, nursing homes or homeless. All those numbers actually show, if they are accurate, is that 66% of hospital admissions come from about 98% of the population. The most alarming number there is the 18% coming from nursing homes, which according to google only make up 0.4% of the US population.

The safest places is the one where you will come into the least contact with the fewest number of people, which for most people is at home. This video is just pro-republican propaganda trying to convince people that this isn’t the case and we might as well carry on business as usual, using twisted and irrelevant stats.

It’s not ‘highly infectious’ else everybody would have caught it by now. Infection depends upon prolonged exposure. Fleeting contact and small dosage is not sufficient.

This is very interesting and contradicts every scientist and government adviser I’ve so far heard on the matter. What is the source of your information?

I just rewatched that clip as I wasn’t sure what it was actually trying to convey and as far as I can tell, those stats are actually complete b*llocks. That 66% isn’t people who are staying at home and self isolating, it’s people who actually live in their home. I.e. people not in prison, nursing homes or homeless. All those numbers actually show, if they are accurate, is that 66% of hospital admissions come from about 98% of the population. The most alarming number there is the 18% coming from nursing homes, which according to google only make up 0.4% of the US population.

The safest places is the one where you will come into the least contact with the fewest number of people, which for most people is at home. This video is just pro-republican propaganda trying to convince people that this isn’t the case and we might as well carry on business as usual, using twisted and irrelevant stats.

This is very interesting and contradicts every scientist and government adviser I’ve so far heard on the matter. What is the source of your information?

Someone put up a text yesterday I believe.

Being closer than 2 metres for 15 minutes or longer increases your chance of catching the virus from an infected person.

That guidance has been on the governments website since day 1.

Being closer than 2 metres for 15 minutes or longer increases your chance of catching the virus from an infected person.

As long as they don't cough or sneeze in your face. Also have to watch out for the loud talkers and the ones incapable of talking without projecting spittle at you...

Whitey's all over the place.

The longer you spend and the closer you are, the higher the risk of infection from airborne pathogens, that much is obvious. 2 metres and 15 are fairly arbitrary though. If someone has a big sneeze in Tesco, they could be three aisle over when someone else walks through the aerosols being churned around by the air con. Likewise if someone with the virus used my trolley half an hour ago, he could be 10 miles up the road and still pass it on to me.

Guidance is about trying to mitigate the risks, it won’t stop them. You can pick it up walking past someone in the opposite direction outside, if you both happen to breath at the wrong time.

Edited by Lighthouse

Yes but where does it say that fleeting contact and a small dosage is not sufficient to catch it?

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?61783-Coronavirus-Discussion-Thread#.XrgPi0Qza1s

Post 2103 or 2106. But Norton gives me a dodgy site warning, didn't yesterday though.

That article states that as few as 1,000 viral particles could be needed to transmit the disease and that they could easily be transferred in one cough, sneeze, breath or touching of the face and eyes.

That article states that as few as 1,000 viral particles could be needed to transmit the disease and that they could easily be transferred in one cough, sneeze, breath or touching of the face and eyes.

Yes I read it yesterday, not commenting on the validity of it all, just pointing the way to what Whitey is talking about.

Do you think that more, less or about the same number of people would have been infected if the Government hadn't closed down pubs, bars, restaurants, football matches etc etc?

Try this source: http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87603#disqus_thread

This Chinese study is interesting:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1.full.pdf

And Dr. north’s blog is always on the ball:

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87598

The longer you spend and the closer you are, the higher the risk of infection from airborne pathogens, that much is obvious. 2 metres and 15 are fairly arbitrary though. If someone has a big sneeze in Tesco, they could be three aisle over when someone else walks through the aerosols being churned around by the air con. Likewise if someone with the virus used my trolley half an hour ago, he could be 10 miles up the road and still pass it on to me.

Guidance is about trying to mitigate the risks, it won’t stop them. You can pick it up walking past someone in the opposite direction outside, if you both happen to breath at the wrong time.

That Chinese link (I think it was this one) found only one case of transmission outdoors between two neighbours who stopped for a chat.

Do you think that more, less or about the same number of people would have been infected if the Government hadn't closed down pubs, bars, restaurants, football matches etc etc?

Anywhere where people shout a lot and spray their spittle over others is a dangerous place. Obviously this rules out St. Mary!’s ;)

Restaurants aren’t good. Parks, shopping centres, garden centres, recycling centres are hardly more dangerous than usual.

That Chinese link (I think it was this one) found only one case of transmission outdoors between two neighbours who stopped for a chat.

There are a lot of studies in other diseases associating higher viral doses with more severe symptoms.

So BoJo says you can now drive to a destination to take your exercise after Wednesday. The roads to the Lake District are going to be busy.

Also says visitors from abroad are going to go into quarantine. Probably to keep them safe whilst in the country with one of the highest infection rates in the world :D.

I assume he meant household.

Yeah, he did.

People can now meet up with one other person outside if maintaining social distancing rules. This will definitely help those who live by themselves and don't go to work.

You can also play sport in the park with your own family. Luckily mine are all terrible at cricket so I'm going to enjoy smashing their bowling to the 4 corners of Hamble Rec.

Me too. I’ve been battering my 7 year old in the drive the last 6 weeks at football cricket and tennis, can’t wait to take it to proper surfaces to show him how much he has to learn

Primary schools may open 1st June, or they may not. Secondary schools (except year 10) are closed until September. I cant wait to see the details of how this is going to work.

Years R, 1 and 6 isn't it?

As the parent or a year 6 child I hope this means they get to spend a load of transition days at secondary school so they can meet a lot of the teachers and learn where all the classrooms are etc. This will really help them for September.

That speech n'arf sound like a lot of it was made up on the fly "unlimited time outdoors for everyone"? That's not a recipe for insanely packed parks is it? "if you can't work from home you should go to work"? So people will feel forced to go into work even if they can't socially distance....and what about retail staff? Such a load of waffle. I was expecting him to pull out the wookie defence.

Me too. I’ve been battering my 7 year old in the drive the last 6 weeks at football cricket and tennis, can’t wait to take it to proper surfaces to show him how much he has to learn
It's the only way they will learn.

I don't think he was very clear about whether or not we are still allowed to do the conga round the estate with all of our neighbours, or if that was just a VE day-only thing.

That was insane....I like how they clearly had distance markers, but none looked like they were more than about half a metre.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus