West Ham 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

23 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

The thing that concerns me the most is that defensively we’re an utter shambles. That should be the first thing a coach/manager does, get us difficult to beat, solid at the back. Ralph doesn’t do this, stubbornly putting JWP and Arsmstrong/Diallo in front of the CBs and watches teams just walk through us without adapting,

Then there’s the frailty of the team. Look at all the goals we’ve conceded, almost 70% of the replays of those goals starts with us on the ball. We either take a throw in and give it straight to them or have a brain cramp and give it to them or try to pass it out and give it away. 

This sort of thing needs to be addressed in training. Instead we pass it around and when an opportunity presents itself the players are too knackered to make the killer pass/decision/shot. Why is this, why are we not fit enough?

Yes we had injuries and a tight schedule but so did the other teams and I don’t see them making as many basic errors as us. That’s got to do with how Ralph is running training/matches etc and the personnel he picks. 

His use of subs is diabolical. His team selections nonsensical. Adams was buzzing after scoring and assisting for Scotland, Ralph let him cool off on the bench while Redmond played up front. The young lad Jankiwitz (sp) had that mare up at OT. Ralph had plenty of opportunities to rehabilitate him and give him some minutes and get his confidence back. Instead he blanked the poor kid. The keeper situation. Fraser saves a penalty, he then brings in Calamity Alex. 

None of this makes any sense.

Spot on. 
There is an issue with Ralph and certain players. Ralph seems to have an ego, some call it stubbornness, either way that trait is useless for a Manager...

Ralph doesn’t manage people that well and it gets in the way of success. 
Giving Ralph so much control exasperates the issues he has. If we are to keep Ralph he must report to a Director of Football and be accountable. If not - get rid pronto... 

Edited by captainchris

3 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Not one person on here would expect us to perform like 2010 Barcelona but it would be nice to see them trying to.

maybe that's our problem - trying to play like Barca, but with players ill equipped to do that? That said, god knows what are tactics are these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

For the second he was wrong-footed and it took a small deflection, not much he could have done about that. For the third Rice shaped to put it across the keeper to the far post and then cleverly finished at the near post. Why didn't the commentators or pundits mention anything about poor goalkeeping? Because it didn't happen. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about 😉.

For the second and third at least McCarthy certainly wasn't the cause of the goals, appalling defending was the cause, you can't blame the keeper for either, but a better keeper may have got us out of the shit on at least one. For the first he was certainly at fault for pushing the ball out into a dangerous position, he should have turned it around the corner rather than parrying it back into the danger area. Nevertheless, any notion that Forster would have done any better is laughable, which is terrible to admit, but we have two below average keepers (four if you include Gunn and Lewis). I must admit I had high hopes that Andrew Sparkes might have improved us in the goalkeeping department, but there is no evidence that he has, no improvement on Dave Watson is not a great recommendation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Having seen the highlights I can safely say that Macca was not at fault for any of the goals. WTF was he supposed to do with the first?? He had 2 choices, save it as he did or watch it go past him into the net. It was unfortunate that it was Fornals following in and not one of ours but that's football. Anyone who says otherwise clearly doesn't know anything about goalkeeping, does anyone seriously think he should have held it? Laughable.

It’s not unfortunate that it’s an opposition attacker in our penalty area, Bowen’s shot was tame and he should’ve dealt with it better. Push it away from danger, not back out for a forward to score. 

Mccarthy gets defended however he plays, which is baffling. 

He’s crap, Forster is crap, Gunn is crap, Lewis is crap. McCarthy is a backup keeper, wouldn’t be starting for any other PL side. 

3 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

For the second he was wrong-footed and it took a small deflection, not much he could have done about that. For the third Rice shaped to put it across the keeper to the far post and then cleverly finished at the near post. Why didn't the commentators or pundits mention anything about poor goalkeeping? Because it didn't happen. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about 😉.

Trust me. So do I.

I'd like to think that about 12 months from here I will be reading about what can be improved for the next season in the Premier League but I'm starting to have doubts after reading some of these posts. I really hope Danny doesn't go anywhere else. A skilled finisher appears to be particularly vital for the future. That's why Tella and Adams (young lions) should have been given as much game time with him as possible - so they can watch and learn on the pitch. That's how I see it anyway.

9 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

For the third Rice shaped to put it across the keeper to the far post and then cleverly finished at the near post.

It was horrible to watch from the defenders and also the GK. Why didn't he come out to Rice and make him rush his decision/shot, rather than just stand two yards of his line giving him time and the whole goal to aim at. He would have seen the two centre backs we had covering the only opposition player in the attack. If he squared it across at least they had a chance to block/intercept it. Its like the first goal against Leeds where he just stays on his line...he only had to get to the edge of the 6 yard box and that goal would have been avoided.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 08:31, Saint Garrett said:

JWP played RWB, but it was a clusterfuck of errors, just like the first 2 goals

Cant wait to hear the crowds reaction to the style of tepid huff and puff tripe weve had to suffer this season.  They better come out with a different mentality and /or game plan.

I am sick to the back teeth of this aimless crap that Hasenhüttl serves up every week. No way will I be renewing my season ticket until that idiot is gone. Every week the Hasenhüttl worshipers make excuses for him but this match proves how useless he is. It's a distraction to blame players when it is the organisation and style of football that we play that brings about one disaster after another. Don't challenge me with the old chestnut "who could we attract who would do any better". On this and recent showings any decent manager with PL experience couldn't fail to get better results.

On Sunday the players looked as bewildered as most of us for much of the match. Truth is they have been drilled to play in a certain way and have become so rigidly compliant that they have no idea what to do when it all goes tits up. Surely they are not so bad that a new manager couldn't turn them into a half decent team.