West Ham 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Horrible place for us, and expect it to be even harder this year. Antonio will turn into Ronaldo for the day, and bully our defence as per normal.

I’d probably stick Forster back in and maybe swap Bednarek in for Stephens. Get Romeu in if fit. Hopefully we can get the front two on the pitch together for most of the game. Both much better when they both play. 

Forster; KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Salisu; Romeu JWP; Armstrong Adams Ings Tella

It'll be another shit show where we flatter to deceive, we'll huff and puff without any real intent.   They have quality, pace and power which will be far too much for us.  I'd snap your hand off for a draw but unless that's a nil nil, highly unlikely to happen. 

• Like 1

Let's be honest  , if West Ham need the points on Sunday they'll get them, we're the perfect opponents,  won't want to spoil their European qualification party. 

Now foreign holidays are permitted most of our team will be thinking of the beach. 

• Like 1

12th up for grabs as it stands, 17th more likely. We'll know where we stand after the rest of the games this midweek. After Brighton's impressive win today they are in catching distance of us, as will Newcastle be if they win tomorrow. I feel we will end up closer to 17th, as I can't see us getting anything from West Ham. The extra prize money would be nice though, I just can't see us getting it after today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chapel End said:

No idea which saints will show up, just want season over.

Hopefully RH will get players he wants in summer some depth and quality needed 

Given the second half of this season and our record against West Ham at their place, it’s very likely to be 3-0 defeat saints that turn up 

28 minutes ago, SKD said:

Given the second half of this season and our record against West Ham at their place, it’s very likely to be 3-0 defeat saints that turn up 

I think it would be worth a bet on 3-0 with Antonio and Noble scoring

Yep WHU to win 2-0 or 3-0 is my prediction too.

Antonio will most likely score

A slightly crap way to end the season but there we are.

However - on a different note - if by chance we do win next week that takes us to 46 points (same as Puel’s) and 1 more win than that season too.

Slight food for thought that’s all

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think it would be worth a bet on 3-0 with Antonio and Noble scoring

Is Noble retiring after this game? Or one more year? 

Antonio loves playing against us, should be in the England squad really based on what he offers but looks like his chance has passed there. 

6 hours ago, nta786 said:

However - on a different note - if by chance we do win next week that takes us to 46 points (same as Puel’s) and 1 more win than that season too.

Slight food for thought that’s all

Quite incredible to think those 46 points gave us an 8th placed finish too!

39 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Also strange to think that our squad was probably even worse back then than it is now!

That year we beat Inter Milan, knocked out Liverpool in a semi final and finished top 8, every single one of that squad is a club legend.

14 hours ago, JRM said:

That year we beat Inter Milan, knocked out Liverpool in a semi final and finished top 8, every single one of that squad is a club legend.

---------------Forster---------------

Cedric---Fonte*---VVD**---Bertrand

---------------Romeu---------------

-----JWP-----------------Davis-----

---------------Tadic----------------

--------Austin--------Redmond--------

Subs: Long, Gabbiadini, Hojbjerg, Clasie, McQueen, Yoshida, McCarthy

----------------Forster--------------

KWP----Bednarek----Vest----Bertrand

----------JWP-------Romeu----------

Armstrong-----------------Redmond

----------Ings--------Che-----------

Subs: Tella, Walcott, Djenepo, Diallo, Salisu, Stephens, McCarthy

Apart from a younger Bertrand, Tadic, Van Dijk (**out injured for almost half the season), and Fonte (*gone after half a season), I don't think any other player from that season gets into our current best 11.

Davis was not as good as Armstrong, Long wasn't as good as Che, Cedric wasn't as good as KWP, Austin wasn't as good as Ings (even if he's been out a fair bit, he's still scored twice as many league goals as Austin this season compared to back then), Redmond is still Redmond (though lacking in confidence), JWP is a far better player now than he was back then, Forster's pretty much the same.

As for the benches Gabbiadini over Djenepo, and Hojbjerg over Diallo, possibly a fit McQueen over Stephens as proper LB cover.

What they achieved that season was especially impressive considering how lacking the squad was in quality after Koeman left.

Edited by Useful Idiot
removed an extra 'not'
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

West ham won in the end. Only need a point to secure Europa League now I believe 

Yep, they turned that around quite well.

Just need a point to confirm 6th.

We probably need a point to confirm 13th - shall we just do a deal now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

---------------Forster---------------

Cedric---Fonte*---VVD**---Bertrand

---------------Romeu---------------

-----JWP-----------------Davis-----

---------------Tadic----------------

--------Austin--------Redmond--------

Subs: Long, Gabbiadini, Hojbjerg, Clasie, McQueen, Yoshida, McCarthy

----------------Forster--------------

KWP----Bednarek----Vest----Bertrand

----------JWP-------Romeu----------

Armstrong-----------------Redmond

----------Ings--------Che-----------

Subs: Tella, Walcott, Djenepo, Diallo, Salisu, Stephens, McCarthy

Apart from a younger Bertrand, Tadic, Van Dijk (**out injured for almost half the season), and Fonte (*gone after half a season), I don't think any other player from that season gets into our current best 11.

Davis was not as good as Armstrong, Long wasn't as good as Che, Cedric wasn't as good as KWP, Austin wasn't not as good as Ings (even if he's been out a fair bit, he's still scored twice as many league goals as Austin), Redmond is still Redmond (though lacking in confidence), JWP is a far better player now than he was back then, Forster's pretty much the same.

As for the benches Gabbiadini over Djenepo, and Hojbjerg over Diallo, possibly a fit McQueen over Stephens as proper LB cover.

What they achieved that season was especially impressive considering how lacking the squad was in quality after Koeman left.

But what a great defence we had then. That is the difference.

23 hours ago, SNSUN said:

12th up for grabs as it stands, 17th more likely. We'll know where we stand after the rest of the games this midweek. After Brighton's impressive win today they are in catching distance of us, as will Newcastle be if they win tomorrow. I feel we will end up closer to 17th, as I can't see us getting anything from West Ham. The extra prize money would be nice though, I just can't see us getting it after today.

Ok make that 16th as the lowest we can finish. Burnley can't catch us now.

However looking at the fixtures, Wolves could easily lose against United, Brighton will probably lose against Arsenal (though admittedly both are Jekyll and Hyde sides), Newcastle have a tough away fixture at Fulham and Palace will probably lose against Liverpool.

12th isn't beyond the realms of possibility if we can miraculously find a win which would polish the turd of this calendar year. Even a point and we finish potentially 13th. As long as Brighton and Newcastle lose (and it's very possible unless Willock has a say in things) then 14th should be the lowest we go. Crap but not as crap as it could be.

West Ham have something to play for though so it will be tough. It'd be sweet to get one over on the Hammers though and if Ings feels this is his last appearance for us, maybe he'll be hungry for a goal or two. 

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Ok make that 16th as the lowest we can finish. Burnley can't catch us now.

However looking at the fixtures, Wolves could easily lose against United, Brighton will probably lose against Arsenal (though admittedly both are Jekyll and Hyde sides), Newcastle have a tough away fixture at Fulham and Palace will probably lose against Liverpool.

12th isn't beyond the realms of possibility if we can miraculously find a win which would polish the turd of this calendar year. Even a point and we finish potentially 13th. As long as Brighton and Newcastle lose (and it's very possible unless Willock has a say in things) then 14th should be the lowest we go. Crap but not as crap as it could be.

West Ham have something to play for though so it will be tough. It'd be sweet to get one over on the Hammers though and if Ings feels this is his last appearance for us, maybe he'll be hungry for a goal or two. 

I hope we don’t manage to “polish the turd” I worry it could mask just how bad we are and we were are heading, in the view of the people in control.  We need the shock, it’s wake up and smell the coffee time.

3 hours ago, HKsaint said:

A must-win game, in order not to let West Ham have a reason to take our Ingsy. 

Be pleasing if Spurs miss out on Europe though.

Looking to next season and wonder if  West Ham bogged down with European fixtures might also be good. Not that it is relevant unless we sort ourselves out this summer.

7 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Simply they have something to play for and we don’t 

only one outcome....

I think they can lose and still very likely to finish 6th - can't see Spurs winning at Leicester and Everton aren't going to turn the goal difference around.

But you're right, only one outcome. 

In my humble opinion this match is an irrelevance. Nothing to play for except pride and we all know what happens.A fall! Some of our overpaid underperforming ‘players’ , sorry, posers, should be ashamed of themselves. Ralph has to take the final responsibility. Those  that should be leaving are almost of no value. To build a new, and ambitious and dedicated squad we need to spend but I can’t see Goa et al digging into their empty pockets. We need change but only see reverse. I am being realistic rather than negative. As a Saint for almost 65 years l think I have seen enough these past three seasons to convince me all is not well at SFC.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Actually no we are on Sky One so free for those with Virgin or Sky but not Sports subs.

Thanks, found it, channel 106 for me on Sky package. 

10,000 West Ham fans allowed , they'll be in good spirits this time, usually protesting when we go there. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to West Ham vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to West Ham 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic