West Ham 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Have West Ham definitely qualified for Europe? If Saints, Spurs and Everton all win, doesn’t that leave them 8th? Is that sufficient?

I’m losing track of the qualification rules - especially with this third new Euro competition.

7 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Have West Ham definitely qualified for Europe? If Saints, Spurs and Everton all win, doesn’t that leave them 8th? Is that sufficient?

I’m losing track of the qualification rules - especially with this third new Euro competition.

I don't think so. 7th gets you into the Europa Conference League, whatever  that is.

10 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I think for them to finish 8th, there needs to be a 8 goal swing for Everton to overtake them.

Spurs play Leicester away, and Everton play City away. Unlikely they’ll both win and I think WHU will do the job against us anyway.

They’ll want Europa League (6th place) over the Conference League (7th place), and for that they only need a point.

Edited by nta786

11 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I think for them to finish 8th, there needs to be a 8 goal swing for Everton to overtake them.

Spurs play Leicester away, and Everton play City away. Unlikely they’ll both win and I think WHU will do the job against us anyway.

They’ll want Europa League (6th place) over the Conference League (7th place), and for that they only need a point.

Looks to me that you might be able to imagine both sides settling for a draw. That’s enough for West Ham - a win doesn’t push them any higher - and may well be enough for us to maximise our league position, depending on scores elsewhere. 

Probably only impacts the latter stages of the match and only then marginally, but maybe makes the 3/1 on the draw a bit tempting.

Only a few hours to go and this season, which has been horrible for a number of reasons, will be over. Then we can get irrationally optimistic and excited about next season, I know I will, because I always have done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Only a few hours to go and this season, which has been horrible for a number of reasons, will be over. Then we can get irrationally optimistic and excited about next season, I know I will, because I always have done.

Good lad; you're not alone.

They will be too much for us they are a better side than Leeds with good firepower & grit in defence (things we lack), let's just put a decent performance and effort rate in, this will be a good indicator of what we can expect next season against strengthened sides. A battling 2-1 loss would be decent 

On 21/05/2021 at 11:27, VectisSaint said:

Are you sure you mean Brian Miller? I thought he only ever played for BURNLEY (apologies if I'm wrong) . I think maybe you are thinking of Brian O'Neil. Jimmy Case was a pussy compared to O'Neil, but I always thought John McGrath was the real, original hardman. Terry Curran was also a bit of a nutcase, in the nicest possible sense. Most of them wouldn't last 2 minutes in today's PL. 

Thanks - I did mean Brian O'Neil

On 18/05/2021 at 22:12, danjosaint said:

Just want the season to end, had a f*****g gut full of these spineless wet fannies, Ralph needs to reinvigour himself and after 10 games nothings changed then he needs to go

You can hardly call yourself a supporter so why are you on this forum?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

The Sunday Times says that they need a point for Europe.

On 21/05/2021 at 11:27, VectisSaint said:

Are you sure you mean Brian Miller? I thought he only ever played for BURNLEY (apologies if I'm wrong) . I think maybe you are thinking of Brian O'Neil. Jimmy Case was a pussy compared to O'Neil, but I always thought John McGrath was the real, original hardman. Terry Curran was also a bit of a nutcase, in the nicest possible sense. Most of them wouldn't last 2 minutes in today's PL. 

Curran - not quite the 'nicest' possible - when my 10 yr old son approached him politely in the town centre he told my son to "fuck off".

5 hours ago, Toussaint said:

The push for champions league next season begins as soon as the final whistle goes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

Redmond 🥴. Why?

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

I fuckin give up with trying to work out why he continues to pick him and it looks once again like he’s gonna partner Ings up front. No wonder Danny wants to go 🤣

1) Why hasn't Forster started? [I thought Ralph said the policy would be Forster 2 games, Macca 2 games - Macca had a howler and Fraser saved a pen last time out...]

2) Did Stephens deserve to be dropped?

3) I'd have liked Tella over Minamino personally 

4) Good to see Romeu back on bench

My observations - if we win then I take it all back 😁

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

What a waste of a dead rubber (for us). Redmond and minamino. Just such a waste. What are we going to learn here? 

What pisses me off is that Djenepo played one of his best games for us in the 1-1 draw against Chelsea. He put his body on the line, got constantly kicked and kept getting back up and throwing himself into tackles and was widely considered man of the match. Yet he has barely played since. Where's the incentive? Yet Redmond gets to put mediocre to terrible performances and gets played week in week out just about. 

Not to mention Tella who needs minutes and experiences, and has got himself involved in matches and playing well. 

• Like 3

Both Fraser and Jack should be starting. I'm baffled by those two decisions. Tella unlucky not to be starting too. Pleased to see Romeu back on the bench, hoping he gets some minutes in the second half :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 3

Uninspiring team again. 

I don't rate McCarthy, prefer Forster, but there isn't that much between them, so I can live with that decision.

Equally Bendarek has the edge over Stephens, although harsh on Jack to be dropped.

Redmond up front just doesn't work for me. He is at his best when playing deeper, as he does track back. Up front he hasn't made an impact. Pointless selection, Tella has more promise and Obafemi needs a start.

Very disappointed to see Minimano. Just not good enough imo. Big mistake if Saints waste precious transfer money on him.

So that's Redmond to play a blinder and a hatrick from Minimano 😀

• Like 1

Really surprised by the line-up. There are a number of very odd selections which are hard to explain. Could we have decided to strengthen our midfield by playing a proper 3-5-2 ?  Redmond LWB and the middle three of JWP, Armstrong & Diallo. This would leave Minamino and Ings up front.  

I think that I am just clutching at straws here ...... 

The Minamino situation is beyond weird; if Harry Rednapp were still Manager I know what people would bee insinuating about his continued appearances. 

The only reason I can see for that starting eleven is Ralph needs an excuse to put some of them onto the transfer list. I get Bednarek being included....Sky report he has the most interceptions for a defender (by some way), so in theory we defend better with him in the team and one of Ralph’s targets is fewer away goals. But Redmond after some shocking performances? Why Minamino over our own boy Tella...unless we’re serious about taking him from Pool and Ralph has told him to play for a contract?

The team sheet has done nothing to convince me that I’ve got the result wrong at either 2-1 or even 3-1. But who knows...perhaps Ralph’s tactics will finally come good.

I can only assume that all the moaning about Minamino don't understand our new tactics. We're playing a different style and the attacking width down the right comes from KWP, not a winger or 10. We've also had Armstrong driving foreward from the middle. Minamino allows KWP and Armstrong to do that by staying deep and/or pulling inside. 

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

Bednarek, Redmond, Minamino all playing to share the abuse 

Nice touch by Ralph. Could've found a role for Stephens to give the pelters maximum options though. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

I can only assume that all the moaning about Minamino don't understand our new tactics. We're playing a different style and the attacking width down the right comes from KWP, not a winger or 10. We've also had Armstrong driving foreward from the middle. Minamino allows KWP and Armstrong to do that by staying deep and/or pulling inside. 

Don't need to understand tactics to see that him misplacing every other pass or getting tackled every 2 seconds is the reason for the moaning. That and he's not even our player, if we're going to persist with mediocrity we may as well put one of our own mediocre players on the pitch.

Just now, igsey said:

Don't need to understand tactics to see that him misplacing every other pass or getting tackled every 2 seconds is the reason for the moaning. That and he's not even our player, if we're going to persist with mediocrity we may as well put one of our own mediocre players on the pitch.

Who else do you say should play that role? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to West Ham vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to West Ham 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic