West Ham 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Very true about Puel. He knew the limitations of this team and reacted accordingly. Sadly some of our more unintelligent fans couldn't see that.

Same with Ralph I think. He knows what he's working with. Just got to hope it's a busy transfer window. I really want him to be ruthless with this squad.

Why does he set us open so that we’re wide open and get a pasting pretty much every game then? He’s persisted with 4222 (or a variation of) despite getting torn apart week after week since November. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Some of us have been saying this for months, whereas others just make excuses for him. 

You're so clever Lord D. Gotta be worth some kind of medal? 

Edited by trousers
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Agreed. 

Only problems no one will take the players and we probably don't want to spend what little we have on paying up Watson's contract.

Agree about Dave Watson, though to be fair he is not the goalkeeper coach any more, hasn't been for a while. Think 2 of the 3 keepers will go this summer (3 of 4 if you include Harry Lewis), we are being linked with other keepers, the Albanian chap and the Accrington keeper at least).

Just now, trousers said:

You're so clever Lord D. Gotta be worth some kind of medal.

An apology will do. Got called All sorts of names for pointing out Ralph was out of his depth. Even took a ban for it..

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Why does he set us open so that we’re wide open and get a pasting pretty much every game then? He’s persisted with 4222 (or a variation of) despite getting torn apart week after week since November. 

I don't think it's deliberate. He knows we need to improve defensively. 

And that isn't true by the way, only been January since the regular defeats. And we got 6 points from our last 4 games. Let's not make things up.

22 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

So bednerek misses tackle 40 yards from goal then so slow to get back, with no rb on the field for then Mccarthy to leave a 4ft gap at nr post, but its Vestergaurds fault 

Vestegaard completely asleep, of course his was a significant factor in the goal. If that had been Stephens this forum would have gone into meltdown. Really piss poor defending from Bednarek and Vestegaard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Very true about Puel. He knew the limitations of this team and reacted accordingly. Sadly some of our more unintelligent fans couldn't see that.

Same with Ralph I think. He knows what he's working with. Just got to hope it's a busy transfer window. I really want him to be ruthless with this squad.

If he knew what he was working with, why does he repeatedly set up the same way week after week when every man and his dog can see it isn’t working?

• Like 3

A very very poor team, and once the anger and frustration has settled the club needs to change. Ralph needs to go, it's obvious he's gone as far as he can at Saints and we need a manager who inspires players and fans alike, a big ask because who would want the job with no investment available, the owner wants out, fair enough but lower your expectations on what the clubs worth. And lose the dead wood players earning good money, even if it means paying them off to bugger off... Although we have kept our Premier league status be under no illusions this club is in need of major surgery. 

• Like 3

Just now, SaveloyMush said:

Why the fuck didn't Stephens play?

If we're worried about why Stephens didn't play then that sadly shows where we are as a club. Lowest of low ebs.

Such a depressing 2021 so far, awful. Just never ending shitness. I thought we'd started to get something from Bednarek, Vestergaard etc, but sadly no - purple patches, the pair of them. Both need shot ofand we need to build around Salisu as the left sided CB.

I'd even be tempted to sell JWP for 50m+ and use that money to bring in players such as Delaney - those are the sorts we need in this team, not this bunch of fairy's.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don't think it's deliberate. He knows we need to improve defensively. 

And that isn't true by the way, only been January since the regular defeats. And we got 6 points from our last 4 games. Let's not make things up.

Of course it’s not deliberate, what idiot would deliberately go out to lose?

I’d actually probably be less concerned if it was deliberate. The issue is that it’s not deliberate. He’s not tactically astute enough to stop it. 

And that’s why he has to go. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we're worried about why Stephens didn't play then that sadly shows where we are as a club. Lowest of low ebs.

Such a depressing 2021 so far, awful. Just never ending shitness. I thought we'd started to get something from Bednarek, Vestergaard etc, but sadly no - purple patches, the pair of them. Both need shot ofand we need to build around Salisu as the left sided CB.

I'd even be tempted to sell JWP for 50m+ and use that money to bring in players such as Delaney - those are the sorts we need in this team, not this bunch of fairy's.

Christ if we could get north of 50 million for JWP I would snap the mugs hand off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well put.  Another season of getting no where. Time for a clear out management, coaches and players.  Oh! And ownership.

Just now, Professor said:

Well put.  Another season of getting no where. Time for a clear out management, coaches and players.  Oh! And ownership.

Ownership is the number 1 for me. If that doesn't change then nothing else changes, full stop.

Pointless, soulless, dead club at the moment.

• Like 4

I would say get the players in tomorrow morning but of course they'll all be in the Wetherspoons in the departure lounge at Gatwick, can't wait to get away and it showed. 

Think we all knew we were going to lose against a much higher quality team so no suprise there but it's the manner of the goals conceded two within three minutes & non existent defending literally noone marking any attacker.  West ham didn't have to get out of first gear even! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ownership is the number 1 for me. If that doesn't change then nothing else changes, full stop.

Change of ownership, some ambition from the top and it should flow from there.

feels like the worst season for years; the period of good form from the 3rd game onwards until December seems a lifetime ago.

With Ings to City nearly done, and an inevitably low transfer spend, it's difficult to envisage anything other than relegation next season.

1 minute ago, Saint_Tony said:

feels like the worst season for years; the period of good form from the 3rd game onwards until December seems a lifetime ago.

With Ings to City nearly done, and an inevitably low transfer spend, it's difficult to envisage anything other than relegation next season.

Ings to city?

1 minute ago, Saint_Tony said:

Are ITK on Ings to city then?

Assuming at least 75% of fans are allowed back in the stadium come August, I can't see Ralph lasting until Xmas unless a serious transfer window occurs. 

I can just see it, Ralph finally sacked and Big Sam coming in to "steady the ship" for 2022

Unless we get a change of owner I’m kind of at peace with relegation next season or the one after and then hopefully rebuilding from there in the championship.

If there was loads of talent coming through the academy there might be some hope, but it seems that there isnt any with no money and no home grown prospects I don’t see where we go from here. 
Let’s hope we have a really good window, and find some inspiration somewhere.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I just don't think there is a "decent" owner out there. Gao at least does not take money out

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

You mean like he has been all season....? Even when given the opportunity to change things he STILL persists with his same poor favourites Bednarek being a prime example today. 
Ralph will never be successful while he plays his mates every game, money will not solve Ralph’s problems he has with several players that he doesn’t seem to like and ones he evidently loves and plays continuously.

That will not change, even with investment.

Autonomy is not healthy and is not conducive to a team ethic. The lack of input from Ralph’s staff during a game is indicative of the atmosphere that is in the club. Ralph rules and no one else can influence or add value to the ‘project’ All very unhealthy and a hinderance to growth and success.

If a fresh start and clear out is the consensus then Ralph should be part of the spring clean because something is majorly not right and Ralph is heading this whole thing up.

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I just don't think there is a "decent" owner out there. Gao at least does not take money out

Leicester fans would disagree tbh. So would Villa and Leeds fans, I'd imagine.

It's not all about throwing money into the club, it's about providing just a tiny bit of leadership and strategy from the top which will then filter downwards. But we don't have that.

It's like we don't have an owner at all, we are just floating along from year to year and it's getting to the point whereby this situation is going to damage this club for a generation if we're not careful.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester fans would disagree tbh. So would Villa and Leeds fans, I'd imagine.

It's not all about throwing money into the club, it's about providing just a tiny bit of leadership and strategy from the top which will then filter downwards. But we don't have that.

It's like we don't have an owner at all, we are just floating along from year to year and it's getting to the point whereby this situation is going to damage this club for a generation if we're not careful.

Do we actually know if the owner is interested in us anymore? 

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This. Watching Manchester City pick up their trophy... best Manager in the world, deepest squad, commentators reckon their second team would finish 4th...how many of us remember when our teams were basket-cases together? 

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Do we actually know if the owner is interested in us anymore? 

I think it's been fairly clear that he's just been a name on the Companies house documents since year 1 tbh, no more than that. It was a political purchase which was then destined to fail due to the change in tact in China.

Has anyone ever actually hear him say anything? 'He doesn't speak English' is what I've heard - why doesn't he learn it then? I also understood 'Nelly' was supposed to come in and provide that connection but I never heard from her either. All in all a very, very sorry few years and we need to hope it's over soon.

36 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Vestegaard completely asleep, of course his was a significant factor in the goal. If that had been Stephens this forum would have gone into meltdown. Really piss poor defending from Bednarek and Vestegaard. 

Vestergaard gets away with murder because he can ping a 40 yard pass, but can anyone actually name a strong point defensively?

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's been fairly clear that he's just been a name on the Companies house documents since year 1 tbh, no more than that. It was a political purchase which was then destined to fail due to the change in tact in China.

Has anyone ever actually hear him say anything? 'He doesn't speak English' is what I've heard - why doesn't he learn it then? I also understood 'Nelly' was supposed to come in and provide that connection but I never heard from her either. All in all a very, very sorry few years and we need to hope it's over soon.

Absolutely. I wish Kat would just come out and admit she just chased the pounds and didn't give a fuck who she sold to

18 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Unless we get a change of owner I’m kind of at peace with relegation next season or the one after and then hopefully rebuilding from there in the championship.

If there was loads of talent coming through the academy there might be some hope, but it seems that there isnt any with no money and no home grown prospects I don’t see where we go from here. 
Let’s hope we have a really good window, and find some inspiration somewhere.

Snap, many on here are happy to have the buck stop with the manager but for me its the owner, he is the person who determines everything.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

This. Watching Manchester City pick up their trophy... best Manager in the world, deepest squad, commentators reckon their second team would finish 4th...how many of us remember when our teams were basket-cases together? 

Yes, a last day of the season them (under Alan Ball) or us for relegation. 1996 I think. 

Edited by Badger

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Snap, many on here are happy to have the buck stop with the manager but for me its the owner, he is the person who determines everything.

Problem is I can't see us being attractive enough for a Red Bull or Ratcliffe (Ineos) type of owner, which probably leaves it to the US leveraged purchases.

43 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But it has been for most of the PL years especially the first ten or so only changes when we get a decent reliable goal scorer

Any idea what our average position in the Pl has been

I expect we will stay up next season the teams coming up are not that great

1 minute ago, John B said:

But it has been for most of the PL years especially the first ten or so only changes when we get a decent reliable goal scorer

Any idea what our average position in the Pl has been

I expect we will stay up next season the teams coming up are not that great

This is a guess, but It's probably around that 12-14th position i'd have thought. So in that sense we've finished about par of where we are as a club and where we are quality wise, I think. So you'd argue that we should be happy with it and just go again I guess.

It doesn't make it any more fun to enjoy though, especially given the seasons we had with Koeman and Poch in recent times. 

we have shown over and over again that we are to lightweight. Attack average, midfield at time easily over run, defence piss poor, goalie desperately needed.

We make some nice attacking moves but fail more often than not to finish with a goal. The midfield is not good enough. JWP needs some muscle to help him but we are without suitable 

Too often we are caught wide open because we fail miserably to work as a unit but rather as many separate parts.

There are one or two bonuses this season. Salisu looks like a good prospect and may well end up as our left cb. JWP is exciting going forward but this leaves us wide open to counter attack when nobody covers for him. Our goalkeepers do not fill us with a feeling other than that of impending despair'

Tella may develop but we need a striker that can find the back of the net. Che is a willing worker and is clearly our 2nd best after Ings but if Ings goes as I fear he will we will struggle next season without a decent replacement.

I expect Vestergard to leave along with Bertrand and Ings, Bertrand this season has looked a spent disinterested force. Even Ings at times looked like he was working on his own. helping in defence and attack sometimes out wide.

There is hope if we sell those we expect to and replace them well. we cannot play with such a poor squad again. we need more players prepared to grow with us and fight for a first team place. we will see some loanies return and with luck move on giving us room to manouevre. sadly I fear some long term players will stay at our expense. Selfish personal greed by some players that are holding our club back.

As much as I appreciate the efforts by Ralph now may be time for him to go. His style of play has not made us stronger than we were last season. His recruits have made little difference apart from maybe Salisu. Diallo strikes me as a good player but too lightweight. Why we have kept Walcott is beyond me.

I think i could go on but at the moment I really fear for our club future.

• Like 5

Although we’ve witnessed the same pattern every game ending in defeat, I don’t think we need a major overhaul.

Sell Vesterguard/Ward-Prowse and use the proceeds on a Right sided pacy CB who is captain material and organises the back four, alongside Salisu. The right sided CB must have pace as KWP is never there.

A new Left back, preferably defensive minded as two KWPs is not conducive to clean sheets.

Buy a tall midfield box to box midfielder..perhaps Delaney fits the bill. Then we have him plus Romeu/Diallo.

Two from three of Adams/Ings and Tella as the strike force.

offload Redmond / Djenepo and buy a goal scoring wide man..perhaps the Bournemouth guy. This leaves us Armstrong/Walcott/new man 

Perhaps it is a major overhaul 😂.. not convinced Ralph is the man though as we must be formation flexible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

Although we’ve witnessed the same pattern every game ending in defeat, I don’t think we need a major overhaul.

Sell Vesterguard/Ward-Prowse and use the proceeds on a Right sided pacy CB who is captain material and organises the back four, alongside Salisu. The right sided CB must have pace as KWP is never there.

A new Left back, preferably defensive minded as two KWPs is not conducive to clean sheets.

Buy a tall midfield box to box midfielder..perhaps Delaney fits the bill. Then we have him plus Romeu/Diallo.

Two from three of Adams/Ings and Tella as the strike force.

offload Redmond / Djenepo and buy a goal scoring wide man..perhaps the Bournemouth guy. This leaves us Armstrong/Walcott/new man 

Perhaps it is a major overhaul 😂.. not convinced Ralph is the man though as we must be formation flexible.

Sadly, we don't have the pull to make the signings required even if we did have that money to spend. Players aren't going to want to come here anymore, and who could blame them. We lack leadership in every department, from the pitch to the boardroom. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Sadly, we don't have the pull to make the signings required even if we did have that money to spend. Players aren't going to want to come here anymore, and who could blame them. We lack leadership in every department, from the pitch to the boardroom. 

That's a stupid thing to say. Of course we have some clout because we are a premier league club. We have to make what pull we do have count though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1