Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

4 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Don’t agree games he played last season the general observation even on these cynical pages was pretty much “good to see Fraser now coming off the line!!”.

We need MLG to drop by and give us the stats. He’s been strangely absent since before the game yesterday...hmm

2 hours ago, Chez said:

McCarthy starts to come but Salisu moves back towards him and thus he stops thinking that Salisu will continue to retreat and jump for the header. For me its on Salisu. 

If that was at the other end Pickford would have come and cleaned everybody out and rightly so.

Just now, Teddeer said:

If that was at the other end Pickford would have come and cleaned everybody out and rightly so.

Even a shout of “keeper’s ball!” would put doubt in the attacker’s mind as to whether it was worth getting clattered for. Alex is so utterly soft and weak minded. Can’t be easy being a CB in front of him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forester said:

No idea is McCarthy called or failed to call for the first one.  But what is clear is that unless you hear a very loud “keepers ball” scream you absolutely do not stop and assume.  It looks to me like that is exactly what Salisu did which is criminally poor defending.

I thought you could hear him shout “away” on MOTD - if in doubt Salisu should attempt to deal with it anyway, but any good GK would have come and tried to do something. Even if it was just to try and put off Richarlison.

12 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Didn't some claim that ings said that training is mostly shit.?

Maybe it is true.

He did say something like that. He also said the majority of it was fitness based, so how is it they’re knackered after 45 mins?

17 minutes ago, egg said:

They won't want him for long, he'll be back soon. 

Alien #1: At your command oh great one.

Alien Leader: Take this craft to light speed

MLG: Acsshhhewalllaay light speed defined as...

Alien #2: I’ll open the trap door 

Edited by OttawaSaint

17 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Even a shout of “keeper’s ball!” would put doubt in the attacker’s mind as to whether it was worth getting clattered for. Alex is so utterly soft and weak minded. Can’t be easy being a CB in front of him.

Don't agree he is generally soft. He's quite active coming for crosses for instance. He came 7th for high claims last season despite only playing 30 matches. For me the whole situation is on Salisu. By the time the ball is close enough to come for it the ball is also low enough for Richarlison to head it. That means he's giving Richarlison an easy chance to just head it past him by moving forward. Salisu just has to head it up over the bar.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Saint Martini said:

Don't agree he is generally soft. He's quite active coming for crosses for instance. He came 7th for high claims last season despite only playing 30 matches. For me the whole situation is on Salisu. By the time the ball is close enough to come for it the ball is also low enough for Richarlison to head it. That means he's giving Richarlison an easy chance to just head it past him by moving forward. Salisu just has to head it up over the bar.

If you watch the replay from behind the keeper, it should have been keepers ball all day. Well a top flight keepers ball anyway.

2 hours ago, Saint Martini said:

Yeah he came and took a corker in the first half that looked like a certain goal. For me its 100% on Salisu as Mccarthy simply can't get there at the point he stops coming for it(unless he turns into a superhero like the flash)

I see Stephens made a team of the week

Two Arsenal players make our worst Premier League XI of the opening weekend (football365.com)

Edited by Baird of the land

15 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Mccarthy simply can't get there

He could have...the ball lands where the cross is, the ball also at this stage is still rising. A competent top flight keeper reads that, comes out and makes that his. But he isn't that, hence why we let so many shit goals in. I'd be pissed if I was the centre back and the keeper aint getting that.

image.png.f4cc43be444dd05facbdb812dc43d914.png

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

He could have...the ball lands where the cross is, the ball also at this stage is still rising. A competent top flight keeper reads that, comes out and makes that his. But he isn't that, hence why we let so many shit goals in. I'd be pissed if I was the centre back and the keeper aint getting that.

This is the point Mccarthy stops coming for it and he's never going to get there. It's 100% Richarlison/Salisu.

image.png.44b3c6f554c1f5e59f510df7fcb701e4.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

This is the point Mccarthy stops coming for it and he's never going to get there. It's 100% Richarlison/Salisu.

image.png.44b3c6f554c1f5e59f510df7fcb701e4.png

Well if he had carried on he would have got to the ball first. Cheers for highlighting that as the ball would be landing between them...and with him able to use his hands would have claimed it. Instead he stops and the striker can't believe his luck the balls has landed 4 yards from the goal for him!

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 3

So disapointed by the Everton game that I've not brought mysel;f to watch the highlights, excpet to see Adam Armstrong's goal. 

I was astonished by Ralph's team selection.  To leave out Walker-Peters and Bednarek was asking for trouble.  His in-game management was questionable, no it wasn't, it was non-existent.  His half-time talk was followed by an Everton goal within two mintues.  He failed to respond by strengthening the side, despite having two first-choice defenders on the bench and attacking players, Redmond, Armstrong and Elyounousii available.  Only when the team were 3-1 down did he make desperation substitutions which were, quite frankly, pointless with only 10 minutes left.

Sorry, I like Ralph.  I like there not being a manager merrygoround, but he made serious mistakes on Saturday.  It's no good the OS copming up with bland quotes from players about being disapointed and must do better.   I'm not going to say Ralph should be sacked after just one game, but there are now ticks in the negative columns for the areas I've mentioned, - Team Selection, In-game management, Half-Time advice, and Substitutions.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Well if he had carried on he would have got to the ball first. Cheers for highlighting that as the ball would be landing between them...and with him able to use his hands would have claimed it. Instead he stops and the striker can't believe his luck the balls has landed 4 yards from the goal for him!

A lot of it is down to McCarthy's fear of physical contact, especially with big, aggressive strikers like Richarlison. You usually see McCarthy retreating back into his goal in those situations when any other goalkeeper would step or dive forward and claim the ball, even if it did mean they might get clattered.

1 hour ago, Professor said:

I'm not going to say Ralph should be sacked after just one game.

But it isn't, is it?

He has had over two years with the club showing certain worrying signs. A full summer to train and drill the players to be as prepared as they can be and the same things are being repeated........

I want him sacked because the same mistakes are being made repeatedly regardless of circumstance.

Edited by Colinjb

I didn't think he was that bad!

Two Arsenal players make our worst Premier League XI of the opening weekend (football365.com)

Centre-back: Jack Stephens (Southampton)
Awful defending for Everton’s third goal but it’s his distribution that gets him in this XI. A 68.2% pass completion rate is pathetic from a centre-half. This could be a long, long season for the Saints, who lost Jannik Vestergaard in the week before the season opener.

14 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I see it's back to "the blame game " for some people, but it was Everton (away) .... where we regularly win  every 25 seasons, 

Why was this fixture so special, possibly our worst tally of wins than against any other club in the country. ?

Are we really so shocked.. angry...or disappointed?

not sure the past had much to do with the actual game, being 1 up at half time then just not turning up for the 2nd half has pissed off most people. Add in the lack of subs until too late etc etc...its why the blame game is there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I see it's back to "the blame game " for some people, but it was Everton (away) .... where we regularly win  every 25 seasons, 

Why was this fixture so special, possibly our worst tally of wins than against any other club in the country. ?

Are we really so shocked.. angry...or disappointed?

Just because we always lose there doesn't mean the players get a free pass and are allowed to make huge mistakes without being called out on them. Take away the basic errors and we probably get at least a point from that game.