Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

haha can I have some of what you are drinking please? 😂

I don't think we will win, but I think we can frustrate them and I think 1-1 would be respectable, if offered I would take that now for sure.

They're also somewhat disunited I think; Benitez isn't universally liked by the fanbase, they've only got in Demarai Gray and Andros Townsend, and also I think Richarlison might be missing as he has been at the Olympics. Also add in the chaos surrounding Sigurdsson and James Rodriguez who doesn't want to be there or something so I read.

So, reality is that it is one of the best times to play them, but equally, it probably is the best time to play us too!!!

However, I hate Goodison Park, and with just 8 days to go I am going to predict a 1-0 Everton win- Digne to score for them or something.

• Like 1

It's been a weird pre-season for Everton, lost their manager, lost a player for reasons not to comment on....

Not buying anyone, looking in the similar bargain bins as ourselves.

They'll start the season without that grumpy fuck Richarlison as well, always seems to score against us.

It's not been a perfect build up for Everton, but you know full well that Benitez will make them a boring and well drilled team, which automatically makes it a tricky game.

And it's at Goodison. Maybe we'll win there? It's not an insurmountable challenge though - It's got to happen at some point I guess.

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

If in the unlikely event we could go ahead, Goodison is going to turn very quickly, they are not a happy bunch. 

I remember us saying something similar before we played WHU at their ground, I think they had a protest planned that same day too or similar.

We lost 3-0 I think, we do have a soft underbelly, little leadership in the team.

• Like 1

Ooo first build up thread! That's exciting! Lets start off with the lineup:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud 

Romeu Diallo

Armstrong Walcott

Tella Adams

Play JWP if fit and play Vest if he isn't leaving but I suspect he may be gone by then. If we sign a forward who we rate soon and he gets plenty of time training put him next to Adams and drop Tella to Walcott's position. I guess all these things are why you don't propose a team so early in the window!

Prediction 1-0 Saints, nick it with a goal from Adams set up by Tella against the run of play, Benitez booed heavily.

How often have we won at Goodison last 40 years?

How often have we won first game of the season last 40 years? 

Everton 2-0 Southampton, frustrated Hassenhuttl rues missed chances as sloppy Saints slip to defeat. 

We'll probably have a goal chalked off by VAR 

• Like 1

McCarthy,

KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud

Armstrong, Romeu, Diallo, Djenepo 

Adams, Tella

Vestergaard to start over Salisu if he's staying

Good god we need some additions 🤣

I like the look of Tella but still not sure on his end product. No idea why we signed Walcott too 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It's been a weird pre-season for Everton, lost their manager, lost a player for reasons not to comment on....

Not buying anyone, looking in the similar bargain bins as ourselves.

They'll start the season without that grumpy fuck Richarlison as well, always seems to score against us.

It's not been a perfect build up for Everton, but you know full well that Benitez will make them a boring and well drilled team, which automatically makes it a tricky game.

And it's at Goodison. Maybe we'll win there? It's not an insurmountable challenge though - It's got to happen at some point I guess.

Forgot about that.

I am confident that our travelling fans will rise above any temptation to mention it though.

• Haha 1

I don't think there is a better time to play Everton. 

They won't have Richarlison, DCL not long back training, no Sigurdsson, no major signings as yet and fans unsure on Benitez.

Not saying we will win, but nothing to scare us IMO.

Aside from GK, team picks itself:

GK

Armstrong, Romeu, Diallo, Redmond

Adams, Tella

It'll  be interesting to see which way Ralph turns in terms of goalie. 

Fullbacks pick themselves.

CB is the interesting area as i feel there's not much between them all. Vestergaard/Stephens offer the outlet on the ball. Bednarek more solid positionally & Salisu has pace. Think it is important to get Salisu's pace in the team. Unpopular with some i might pair him with Stephens but given Bednarek is seemingly ralph's auto pick it'll possibly be him and salisu.

If JWP doesn't make it back for friendlies i don't see how he can start.

Expect it to be Redmond and Armstrong on the wings.

Adams and i fancy Tella to cause them issues on the break. Hopefully we have a new striker by then to act as an impact sub if needed.

Edited by Baird of the land

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Our bad run at Goodison has got to end some time. Wont be next week though, we never start the season well and there isn't ay preseason optimism. We'll probably lose 2 or 3-0, 

I am full of pre season optimism, groundless and baseless as it may be I  am that way before every season. That said, we’ll still lose to Everton.

18 hours ago, Dusic said:

I don't think there is a better time to play Everton. 

They won't have Richarlison, DCL not long back training, no Sigurdsson, no major signings as yet and fans unsure on Benitez.

Not saying we will win, but nothing to scare us IMO.

Aside from GK, team picks itself:

GK

Armstrong, Romeu, Diallo, Redmond

Adams, Tella

Is Richarlison definitely going to miss it? He always does well against us. I think he went straight from end of last season to Copa America, then pretty much straight from there to Japan for the Olympics so he's had a busy summer but in theory could fly back Sunday or Monday. Calvert-Lewin and Pickford only just back in pre season training as well. 

Forster

KWP - Bednarek - Salisu - Perraud

Diallo - Romeu

Armstrong - Walcott

Adams - Tella

Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Livramento, Valery, Redmond, Djenepo, Obafemi

I'd imagine it has to be this, with JWP in for Diallo if he's miraculously fit. Hopefully a place in the squad for Vestergaard too if he's not long gone. 

33 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Based on who we have in squad currently and available this would be my line up.

Forster

Kwp

Stephens

Salisu

Perraud

Romeu

Armstrong

Livramento

Redmond

Walcott

Adams

Subs: McCarthy, bednarek, diallo, tella, moussa, obafemi, olufunwa

That's a decent squad, since JWP is injured. I expect us to score one goal. The rest is up to our new defence. 1-1

They have just lost 4-0 to Utd and have their two main goalscorers likely out, plus the whole Rafa thing. 

But considering we never do well there I am not wholly optimistic, I am more wanting to see a decent performance more than anything even if we say unluckily lose or something, just put in a good performance to build on. 

After today’s game we saw the main first team players who didn’t feature 

kwp FF JWP Che 

so the defence is fixed FFKWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

then Romeu Diallo Armstrong Walcott ??

up front Che and Tella

A bit like last season if we keep our first X1 fit then we have a chance 

52 minutes ago, fanimal said:

After today’s game we saw the main first team players who didn’t feature 

kwp FF JWP Che 

so the defence is fixed FFKWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

then Romeu Diallo Armstrong Walcott ??

up front Che and Tella