Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Much as I want to be optimistic, I cannot get excited for this season. How obvious is it we need a better goalkeeper than either McCarthy or Forster (statistically the worst two keepers in the PL last season bar one). Why did I think Forster was gone? Goalkeeper a key position and one of the (relatively) most affordable. If we can't get that right in the time we've had, what chance do we stand? Ings a huge loss. I think Adams is ready to step up but too early for Tella. We are really short of goals. Goodison not a happy hunting ground. 3-0 to Everton. 

Will lose our first three games then have a desperate panic to close a deal on a striker and a goalie before the deadline closes...

Hope I'm wrong.

I've got a sneaky feeling we'll do well. 

Like most people - I've no real idea what our best team is - or where the goals will come from - but nor have Everton.

Saints ain't a load of blokes from the pub. Take it to them and we'll win.

Everton 1 Saints 3.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fanimal said:

After today’s game we saw the main first team players who didn’t feature 

kwp FF JWP Che 

so the defence is fixed FFKWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

then Romeu Diallo Armstrong Walcott ??

up front Che and Tella

A bit like last season if we keep our first X1 fit then we have a chance 

We have some tough fixtures to start so we might be struggling. But sometimes it's better to have time to fix faults early in a campaign, than like last year. I'm predicting a better second half of the season as our younger players become more experienced.

24 minutes ago, eelpie said:

We have some tough fixtures to start so we might be struggling. But sometimes it's better to have time to fix faults early in a campaign, than like last year. I'm predicting a better second half of the season as our younger players become more experienced.

So at least a draw against Everton is going to be important.  1-1

We need to keep Everton out for the first 20-30 mins, the crowd will turn on them as it's not a happy place at the moment.

Slow realisation that they've spunked 500million over the last 5 years on average players alongside the manager sillyness during that time, it will not go well if we can fustrate them at Goodison.

Thats a big if though.

Just having a browse on the Everton forums, it's pretty much the same as this place. They are totally down on their club, some are predicting an end to their premier league status too.

The mood isn't a good one. They hate rafa, they hate their starters like Gomes, Iwobi etc. They are infuriated by the amount of money they've wasted on shit and how they are now not able to buy anyone. (they're like a version of us, albeit much bigger outlays)

I will say there isn't a better time to play them given the mood, and honestly a fast start by us and it could get messy in the stands.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

I'm hoping that Ralph has finally realised that Fraser is the better keeper, and that JWP will be fit to play.

Fullbacks pick themselves. More of a question over CBs. Don't think Vest will be fully match fit meaning Salisu is a given, the question is who to partner him. I know most on here don't like him but I would be tempted to go with Stephens.

My front 4 would be Stuey, Theo, Che and Tella - but feel Ralph will pick Redmond vice Theo.

My team: Fraser, KWP, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud, Romeo, JWP, Armstrong, Theo, Adams, Tella

Subs: McCarthy, Tino, Bednarek, Diallo, Redmond, Djnepo, Obafemi

More likely starting 11: McCarthy, KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud, Romeo, Diallo, Armstrong, Tella, Adams, Redmond

If Fraser and JWP play I predict a 2-0 win for Saints. If not, a 1-1 draw. (Yes, I think I may still be drunk from last night.....)

38 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Who knows with an obstacle now out of his way and more pitch time will enable him to evolve and shine

It's easy to forget that our younger players will be improving each season so we're not necessarily the same team that we were last year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Who knows with an obstacle now out of his way and more pitch time will enable him to evolve and shine

Hopefully, my point was … proven  v potential. Make no mistake, I want him and us to shine, but we have in my opinion been diminished by Ings’s departure. Since the transfer saga began, Ings seems to have been reclassified by some as an average sort, he isn’t. 

6 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

We play better away from St Mary’s and we had fewer players on international duty, we could get a nil-nil.

There was a time under Ralph where we did better away from home, that seems a long time ago now 

We never win our first game if the season even when we have squad that we are happy with. Do people really think we will do any better than normal with a squad where we have sold our best player and replaced our left back with player arguably no better than the one we let go for nothing.

Oh I forgot we signed a young kid with talent that is unlikely to get ahead of one of the few truly premier league quality players in our squad.

god knows why I renewed my ST I can’t wait for this season. 

Honestly, I do not think we are ready for this challenge whatever the locals are saying about their own team. It seems we have to make do and mend insofar as fielding a competitive team is concerned and it might be a few more weeks before we are fully back up to strength and fighting fit. Two key players gone, two more sidelined for one reason or another during pre-season and a trio of promising but relatively untested youngsters* almost guaranteed to be starters. By no means the best condition we have been in at the start of a new season.

From what we have seen in the friendlies, for me the best team that can be put out next weekend will be :-

Forster;  Walker Peters - Stevens - Salisu*Perraud*; Romeu - Diallo*; Armstrong - Armstrong - Redmond; Tella - Walcott.

I am expecting a dour match and at best a goalless draw but more likely we will lose of 0-2.

We might be living on our nerves a bit until this transfer window closes and potential wanna ways have to face reality and knuckle down for the fight.

33 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Forster;  Walker Peters - Stevens Salisu*Perraud*; Romeu - Diallo*; Armstrong - Armstrong - Redmond; Tella - Walcott.

a trio of promising but relatively untested youngsters* 

He has been at Saints for 10 years! When will you learn his name? 😁😇

I'd be surprised if Bednarek and Adams don't start.

Perraud, Diallo and Salisu aren't untested youngsters. They are all in their 20s and have seasons under their belts. If that applies to anyone in the line-up it would be Nathan Tella.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing I used to see from our fans was the difference in attitude for away games to home ones. 

Away we were more likely to try pushing the team forward whilst at home our home fans are too quick to abuse players.

That said I hope that the few going to Goodison will really get behind Tella and all of our newbies to help tham settle if selected.

Richarlson just getting back from the Olympics, wonder if he'll just slot into Benitez's tactics.

a fairly strong squad for them took a 4-0 thumping from Man U over the weekend, and their incomings have been few and far between.

I'm thinking 1-1 on this one.

I know pre-season friendliest are not the absolute indicator of how good the team are going to be, but I can’t help but think the 1-3 loss to Athletico (not exactly the best Euro team) is an indicator that we’ve not really moved on from the dreadful 2nd half of last season. For that reason I can see us losing to Everton…probably 3-0 or possibly 3-1 where we go ahead but then collapse later in the game.

I hope the reality is quite different and we’re able to muster at least a draw.

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Richarlson just getting back from the Olympics, wonder if he'll just slot into Benitez's tactics.

a fairly strong squad for them took a 4-0 thumping from Man U over the weekend, and their incomings have been few and far between.

I'm thinking 1-1 on this one.

Technically he could be arriving back in England and have a few days to prepare, but Richarlison went straight at the end of the season to join up with Brazil for Copa America, was part of the team that got to the final, he then pretty much went straight from there to the Olympics to be part of the team that again got to the final, no break all summer surely he'll be entitled to a week or two off. 

• Like 1

Here we go again then, and what a different feeling to the start of last season. Remember when we were full of positivity, team was on form, going to a ground we historically do well at, all ready to break the opening day hoodoo? Aaaaand 1-0 Palace.

this year the squad looks weak, we’ve lost or are without key members of last year’s first team, had a poor second half to the previous season, heading to a ground we never win at… Can only be 1-0 Saints surely!?

Forster - KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud - Romeu Armstrong - Redmond Walcott - Adams Tella.

That would be my team as I really like how much more of the ball Armstrong sees in CM, but expect it to be Diallo in there with Armstrong in place of Theo.

we can’t do anything about the owners, the transfers or the financial situation, so let’s enjoy another ride. Looking forward to celebrating/commiserating/moaning with you all for another season.

COYR!

• Like 1

JWP will not want to break his consecutive apps start if he can help it, so I'm expecting him to start....

Forster; KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud; Romeu JWP; S Armstrong Walcott; Adams Tella

Wouldn't surprise me to see Stephens, Diallo, Redmond, Djenepo or A Armstrong start.....

Nice to have a few options, just a shame they're all about the same quality.....!

On 06/08/2021 at 12:40, TWar said:

Ooo first build up thread! That's exciting! Lets start off with the lineup:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud 

Romeu Diallo

Armstrong Walcott

Tella Adams

Play JWP if fit and play Vest if he isn't leaving but I suspect he may be gone by then. If we sign a forward who we rate soon and he gets plenty of time training put him next to Adams and drop Tella to Walcott's position. I guess all these things are why you don't propose a team so early in the window!

Prediction 1-0 Saints, nick it with a goal from Adams set up by Tella against the run of play, Benitez booed heavily.

Good team selection. Who needs a new striker?

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Technically he could be arriving back in England and have a few days to prepare, but Richarlison went straight at the end of the season to join up with Brazil for Copa America, was part of the team that got to the final, he then pretty much went straight from there to the Olympics to be part of the team that again got to the final, no break all summer surely he'll be entitled to a week or two off. 

Richarlison might be brought on in the second half for a few minutes. So new lads, keep him well covered.

Good time to play them considering the discontent with Benitez, likely to be without Richarlison and won't have Sigurdsson (*cough*) but then again, we haven't won at Goodison in our last SEVENTEEN attempts over 90 minutes and our opening day record is horrific. Hoping to be surprised but not expecting much. 

22 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He has been at Saints for 10 years! When will you learn his name? 😁😇

Perraud, Diallo and Salisu aren't relatively untested youngsters. They are all in their 20s and have seasons under their belts.

pedant

noun

/ˈpednt/

/ˈpednt/
(disapproving)
  1. a person who is too concerned with small details or rules especially when learning or teaching
    • A pedant will always insist that you ask for ‘fewer’ items rather than ‘less’.

Fewer postings from you would be perfect, sir!

Edited by Charlie Wayman

46 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

pedant

noun

/ˈpednt/

/ˈpednt/
(disapproving)
  1. a person who is too concerned with small details or rules especially when learning or teaching
    • A pedant will always insist that you ask for ‘fewer’ items rather than ‘less’.

Fewer postings from you would be perfect, sir!

MLG isn't being pedantic here.  He's just right.

And what dictionary gave that definition?  It's weird. 

• Like 1

Forster; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud; Romeu, JWP; Armstrong, Walcott; Adams, Tella.

Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Livramento, Diallo, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Broja, Armstrong. 

Forster should start off as number 1.. generally the defence looks a lot more settled with him behind them.

Obviously Diallo instead of JWP if he isn't fit enough to play. 

I'd stick the two new strikers on the bench to start with - a bench that would actually look quite handy for a change. 

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Whatever happens we are winners off the pitch. 👏👏👏👏👏

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-08-10/southampton-fc-to-wear-hummel-rainbow-shirt-this-weekend

Disgraceful. They haven't used the latest version of the flag which includes a red umbrella for sex workers. Someone needs to inform the club:

https://www.deviantart.com/pride-flags/art/Sex-Worker-Inclusive-Progress-Pride-Flag-1-876325800

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Forster;
KWP, Bedernak, Salisu, Perraud;
Armstrong, Romeu;
Walcott, Tella;
Adams, Redmond.

McCarthy, Livromento, Stephens, Diallo, Djenepo, Broja, Armstrong. 

Yep I agree with this except I would swap Tella and Redmond around.

16 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Forster;
Armstrong, Romeu;
Walcott, Tella;
Adams, Redmound.

Redmond is terrible as a striker. It'll be The best team we've got available is Diallo where you've put Armstrong, Armstrong where you've put Tella and Tella where you've put Redmond.

On 08/08/2021 at 12:13, S-Clarke said:

Just having a browse on the Everton forums, it's pretty much the same as this place. They are totally down on their club, some are predicting an end to their premier league status too.

The mood isn't a good one. They hate rafa, they hate their starters like Gomes, Iwobi etc. They are infuriated by the amount of money they've wasted on shit and how they are now not able to buy anyone. (they're like a version of us, albeit much bigger outlays)

I will say there isn't a better time to play them given the mood, and honestly a fast start by us and it could get messy in the stands.

Why are people down on Saints?!?!?

We've cleared out some dead wood, made/making some very astute signings, and had a decent pre season. Plus we've got a pretty good manager who looks like he'll be going into the season with a team of players the majority of which he signed for once... And perhaps more key than all of the rest, some squad depth.

Edited by Saint86

33 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Forster;
Armstrong, Romeu;
Walcott, Tella;
Adams, Redmound.

Nearly there but not quite for me.

If JWP really isn't fit then:

Forster;
Armstrong, Romeu;
Walcott, Redmond;
Adams, Tella.

9 subs don't forget - McCarthy, Livromento, Stephens, Diallo, Broja, Armstrong, Djenpo, dymel + 1 new signing

I think Tella will start up front alongside Adams, with Redmond in the CAM spot.

If JWP wants to maintain his record for playing every minute then:

Forster;
JWP, Romeu;
Armstrong, Redmond;
Adams, Tella.

McCarthy, Livromento, Stephens, Diallo, Broja, Armstrong, Djenpo, dymel/+1 new signing, Walcott.

Edited by Saint86

27 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Dymel

Why are you using his first name and the surname for everyone else? 😁

His name is Dynel Simeu.

He is playing and training in the under 23 team rather than the 1st team, so I doubt he'll feature on the bench vs Everton. They'll probably view Stephens and Liveramento (and possibly Vestergaard) as enough defensive cover on the bench.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic