Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Just spoken to an Everton fan who says that the club has warned of ticket chaos before the game . 17000 digital season tickets having been issued and they are not sure if their systems will work. Stewards will also be carrying out spot checks to see if people are fully vaccinated and have masks to wear in the walkways in the stands. Get there early guys and girls.🤨

3 minutes ago, Markyruk said:

Just spoken to an Everton fan who says that the club has warned of ticket chaos before the game . 17000 digital season tickets having been issued and they are not sure if their systems will work. Stewards will also be carrying out spot checks to see if people are fully vaccinated and have masks to wear in the walkways in the stands. Get there early guys and 

I'm sure it will be fine, we have paper tickets in away end and vaccine passports are not mandatory, they'll just let you in. My experience from Wembley is stewards don't want the hassle of checking , they just want to get you in with minimal hassle. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

1:0 to Saints, with Shane getting his 50th PL goal before getting shipped out on loan again.  (Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was on 49; he deserves the kudos of a half century for effort alone and for being by all accounts a decent bloke.)

The ones in training don’t count. 

• Haha 1

This and Man Utd home next week are the worst (or best given we always start slowly) two fixtures we could have had.

We could play like world beaters in both games yet somehow Everton/United will find a way to beat us or stop us winning no matter how lucky they get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

LLWLD WDWLD LDLDL DLLWD LDDLD DLLDL WLWLD DDDLL...

...our opening day record over the last 40 years.

Imagine if that was over a season in a 21 team league, I make that we’d have 34 points.

Crazy (and not in a good way)!

6 wins in 40!?

I knew our record was bad, but I didn't realise it was that bad 😬

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

6 wins in 40!?

not won at Everton since 1997. Not won first game since 2013, not scored on first day since 2016. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

6 wins in 40!?

Yup, we are truly dreadful on opening day.

Sad that after 30 years of supporting Saints I can easily tell you what our 3 wins were, who scored and what the weather was like. FFS!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Yup, we are truly dreadful on opening day.

Sad that after 30 years of supporting Saints I can easily tell you what our 3 wins were, who scored and what the weather was like. FFS!

The only one I remember is this one...

I miss that team :(

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The only one I remember is this one...

I miss that team :(

That match was class. Remember it well.

The run of form at the start of that season was so exciting. We had just come up and hadn't really added much to the League One team so you hoped we'd be OK in the Championship. Then we just started taking teams apart and you knew something special was going on. Cant remember if it was the next match or not when we went to Ipswich and scored 4?

It's a shame we didn't win it, but to go straight through the Champ in one season was a great achievement by Nige and the lads.

• Like 4

Yup, that was a good win.

There was also the 1-0 win away to West Brom when Rickie Lambert got a last minute penalty the same week he scored that winner against Scotland.

Those are the only 2 opening day wins this century as the one before was our 1-0 against Coventry in 1999 (when Egil scored).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benjii said:

That match was class. Remember it well.

The run of form at the start of that season was so exciting. We had just come up and hadn't really added much to the League One team so you hoped we'd be OK in the Championship. Then we just started taking teams apart and you knew something special was going on. Cant remember if it was the next match or not when we went to Ipswich and scored 4?

It's a shame we didn't win it, but to go straight through the Champ in one season was a great achievement by Nige and the lads.

Wasn't it 5-2 away at Ipswich the tuesday night? We seemed to regularly put 3 or 4 past teams, up until about November time we were brilliant. Like you say we'd come up and i'd expected us to be midtable at the end of the season. Question marks over if Lambert could step up, plus a few others. Weren't we also on some crazy run of 2something like 20+ consecutive home wins before we drew 2-2 at home to Blackpool then lost 1-0 at home to Bristol City who were awful. 

43 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Everton without 5 players who are self-isolating, including James Rodriguez. Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison fit to play. 

37 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

FFS.

On their forum they are feeling exactly the same about JWP being fit for us, and just praying they don't give away any stupid FKs near their box.

I'll be very surprised if they both play the full 90 though.

On 10/08/2021 at 10:41, suewhistle said:

There's no news of the Newcastle tickets on the OS yet, does anyone know when there might be?

So I emailed the ticket office regarding the Newcastle game and got this reply:

Tickets for away fixtures normally get released around a month before the actual fixture.

Perhaps someone can ring up, I've lost the will..

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

So I emailed the ticket office regarding the Newcastle game and got this reply:

Perhaps someone can ring up, I've lost the will..

I don't know how  but after 18 months the ticket office are worse than ever, I know a couple of lads who haven't received Everton tickets and needing to sort out duplicate collection up there. No excuse for leaving it such last minute 

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

We never win away to everton so my default position is negative for this one

Take our record at Goodison, multiply it by our record 1st game of the season and you get the result = no win for Saints. 

Good news Everton have 5 players isolating, bad news their best two forwards Richarlison and DCL will play. 

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

not won at Everton since 1997. Not won first game since 2013, not scored on first day since 2016. 

Scary stats those mate, makes it look a forgone conclusion, we'll lose to nil. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

How we did in 1998, 2001, 2003, 2013 etc etc at Goodison is irrelevant to tomorrow's game.

We've had this discussion before and no doubt will again next week for Man Utd at St Mary's, once you've seen us fail to win at Goodison as many times as I have you'll begin to understand some of the unwritten rules of the football gods. It's been a bogey ground for generations, even when we won there in 1974 we still went down that day. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JRM said:

We've had this discussion before and no doubt will again next week for Man Utd at St Mary's, once you've seen us fail to win at Goodison as many times as I have you'll begin to understand some of the unwritten rules of the football gods. It's been a bogey ground for generations, even when we won there in 1974 we still went down that day. 

Oh god, now you've done it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

How we did in 1998, 2001, 2003, 2013 etc etc at Goodison is irrelevant to tomorrow's game.

If you get punched in the face 19 times out of 20 when you walk into WH Smiths, statistically you're more likely than not to be punched in the face when you walk in WH Smiths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Blackburn Rovers supporter here. (The username will be a give-away for older readers!)

I've been reading some the stuff on this forum about Adam Armstrong - including some of the worries, so I thought I'd try to give a broad summary (subjective, obviously).

1. He is a "natural" goal-scorer in the instinctive mode. Two-footed, as well.

2. He is very quick off the mark, which means he can leave slow turners for dead. He's not actually exceptionally fast over 50 metres, but you don't need to be.

3. He is quite phlegmatic on the surface - not a wild celebrator.

4. He might take a while to adapt to the higher quality of the PL, but if you can find the right combinations and put him in the area with quick-release passes, he will come good. He can score from distance too.

5) We went through a shocking spell in February-March, dominating possession, but not converting chances. It was sort of chicken-and-egg, but it was true that Adam went off the boil in that period. It was almost as if he was trying too hard. He became blinkered and tried scoring from anywhere, sometimes ignoring much better-placed players.

6) That was not typical. He is usually a good team-player.

7) He's a very nice guy. Loyal and with no side to him. Apparently, he went around Ewood on the day he left, to say goodbye to and thank everyone on the staff - at all levels.

8) He is not a natural tackler, so I don't think you'll see him tracking back too much.

Moving on to Obafemi, I don't think we will be paying 5/6 million for him. Mowbray doesn't part with money too willingly, and our salary-structure is very rigid. From what I've read, I don't think Obafemi is particularly keen on the move anyway. Is a loan more likely? The PL managers concerned were very happy with our development of Harvey Ellliott and Harwood-Bellis last season.

I hope this helps. We'll be watching Adam's career with great interest.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Simon Garner said:

Blackburn Rovers supporter here. (The username will be a give-away for older readers!)

I've been reading some the stuff on this forum about Adam Armstrong - including some of the worries, so I thought I'd try to give a broad summary (subjective, obviously).

2. He is very quick off the mark, which means he can leave slow turners for dead. He's not actually exceptionally fast over 50 metres, but you don't need to be.

4. He might take a while to adapt to the higher quality of the PL, but if you can find the right combinations and put him in the area with quick-release passes, he will come good. He can score from distance too.

5) We went through a shocking spell in February-March, dominating possession, but not converting chances. It was sort of chicken-and-egg, but it was true that Adam went off the boil in that period. It was almost as if he was trying too hard. He became blinkered and tried scoring from anywhere, sometimes ignoring much better-placed players.

7) He's a very nice guy. Loyal and with no side to him. Apparently, he went around Ewood on the day he left, to say goodbye to and thank everyone on the staff - at all levels.

8) He is not a natural tackler, so I don't think you'll see him tracking back too much.

Moving on to Obafemi, I don't think we will be paying 5/6 million for him. Mowbray doesn't part with money too willingly, and our salary-structure is very rigid. From what I've read, I don't think Obafemi is particularly keen on the move anyway. Is a loan more likely? The PL managers concerned were very happy with our development of Harvey Ellliott and Harwood-Bellis last season.

Interesting, thanks. Good luck with the season for your team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon Garner said:

Cheers mate.

He sounds like just the sort of style of player we need.

Obafemi is a bit of a conundrum. He has shown some moments of real quality in some of his appearances, but a series of managers have felt he isn’t worth a run in the side and have preferred people like Shane Long and Nathan Redmond up front, who are not exactly prolific. There are question marks over whether he has applied himself properly in training or whether he is clever enough tactically and switched on enough to do the work “against the ball” that our manager loves. I’m sure there’s a decent Championship footballer in there, at least, and if he was to prove himself there then you’d have a bargain for 5 or 6m. I think we’d all like to see what he can do with a loan to a decent Champ club and some regular games.

Edited by benjii

I'm still trying to guess our line-up, especially in attack. Will he throw AA straight in? Tells seemed to be getting a good rapport with Che. At least we have options.

Maybe 

Forster 

KWP Bednarek (but wouldn't be surprised at Stephens) Salisu Perrault

JWP Romeu 

Stu Armstrong Redmond 

Adams Tella

AA, Walcott, Djenepo, Livramento, McCarthy, Diallo, Stephens

19 hours ago, Turkish said:

if the roles were reversed, and this was the stat being bandied about in the media, we all know the outcome. I fancy us to get a shock win.

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

I'm still trying to guess our line-up, especially in attack. Will he throw AA straight in? Tells seemed to be getting a good rapport with Che. At least we have options.

Maybe 

Forster 

JWP Romeu 

Stu Armstrong Redmond 

Adams Tella

Don't you think they'll notice if we field 12? (Stu + Armstrong) 

Edited by mcbendy
Maybe I wasn't the only one

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

Maybe 

Forster 

JWP Romeu 

Stu Armstrong Redmond 

Adams Tella

Seriously though, I think you're bang on with that. The only question mark really is over the 'Redmond' position, but I do think Redders will get the nod. It's 9 subs now, isn't it. So Elyounoussi and Valery on the bench too?

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If you get punched in the face 19 times out of 20 when you walk into WH Smiths, statistically you're more likely than not to be punched in the face when you walk in WH Smiths.

You'll definitely get asked "Do you want a bar of chocolate with that?"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Hope we start with Adam Armstrong. Stupidly optimistic we will win. 

Same here, on both counts.   Despite the bad record up there, I can't remember Saints being dismantled at GP.  Why not a win, or at least a score draw.   Good luck to AA if he starts.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic