Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

No complaints there. Livramento looks unbelievable. 18 is he? Wow. Adam Armstrong has hit the ground running which we desperately needed. Still nervous about holding on but we look sharp. Hopefully the home fans start to turn.

Edited by Disco Stu

Feel Perraud has struggled a bit. Not terrible but much improvement hopeflly to come.

Livramento, yeah he's going to play for a top club.

Mccarthy fab, claim and punch. Don't think Forster would have come for either.

Stephens lot of very good stuff, one moment where he switched off and let Calver Lewin run off him

Armstrong, who needs ings.

0-1 ht. So far so good. Wouldn't say we've been amazing, but we're bright. Bit heart in the mouth whenever Everton go direct, but we knew about their aerial strength going into the match.

Ward-Prowse isn't fit. Hasn't managed to get a set piece off the floor yet. And Walcott a passenger as usual. But everyone else is putting in a shift.

Lovely finish from AArmstrong - great that he's got that first goal monkey off his shoulders straight away.

And then there's Livramento... Don't want to jinx the kid, but his quality is outstanding. Looks like he could play any position on the pitch.

Richarlison being on a booking is something we should play on in the second half. He's a hot head.

SArmstrong on for Walcott at the break, Diallo for Prowse after an hour?

The longer we can hang in there, the more this crowd is going to turn against their team.

COYS

That half from Tino was absolutely incredible for a lad his age up against Richarlson. He has been sensational and I can now see why he was picked ahead of KWP. Going forward as well, he picks his moments and has loads of skill and confidence. Great finish from Armstrong to get him up and running. My only disappointment has been Theo who has done very little. Same again second half Saints.

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Very encouraging.

The big question though: do we still do shit second halves?

Yeah, that’s the worrying bit. I want to see us play like the same team that played the first half unlike SO many times last season.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Really? When he chased Keane down he was about 20 yards behind him and nearly caught him. He looked quick

Not like you to miss the sarcastic tone of a post. All the time we were chasing him people were saying that was the case.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 1

I really think the story will end up being that Saints have played a blinder this summer. Every signing so far looks somewhere between good and sensational.   Tino's class was pretty clear pre-season. So damn exciting to see Adam hit the net.  And let's not forget how amazing Che Adams has been playing of late. That was a magnificent set up for the goal. Adam and Adams could be a big big story for us this year.  

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Few Boos at everton 

They are already going into meltdown on the GOT forum.

My only worry is that we all know how other managers seem to be able to make some tweaks at HT and find a way back in, with Ralph unable to counter it. 

If that happens today, they still won't give Benitez credit for it. He's on a hiding to nothing with their fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

0-1 ht. So far so good. Wouldn't say we've been amazing, but we're bright. Bit heart in the mouth whenever Everton go direct, but we knew about their aerial strength going into the match.

Ward-Prowse isn't fit. Hasn't managed to get a set piece off the floor yet. And Walcott a passenger as usual. But everyone else is putting in a shift.

Lovely finish from AArmstrong - great that he's got that first goal monkey off his shoulders straight away.

And then there's Livramento... Don't want to jinx the kid, but his quality is outstanding. Looks like he could play any position on the pitch.

Richarlison being on a booking is something we should play on in the second half. He's a hot head.

SArmstrong on for Walcott at the break, Diallo for Prowse after an hour?

The longer we can hang in there, the more this crowd is going to turn against their team.

COYS

The monkey goes on your back, not your shoulders, sorry to go all MLT but it needed saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Yeah, that’s the worrying bit. I want to see us play like the same team that played the first half unlike SO many times last season.

Well, it’s a new season, crowds are back, new blood in the team, maybe, just maybe, we’ll break with recent tradition!

Brilliant goal created by Adam's and finished superbly by Armstrong. Timo is an absolute handful with skill aplenty. CB pair looking OK at the moment but I suspect there'll be a mistake or lapse of concentration made before the game is over. Would love us to beat the baggies to win our first opening day match since forever. COYS!

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

My only worry is that we all know how other managers seem to be able to make some tweaks at HT and find a way back in, with Ralph unable to counter it. 

If that happens today, they still won't give Benitez credit for it. He's on a hiding to nothing with their fans.

We do have decent options on the bench now, which is a novelty.

Hope RH uses them with a little guile.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why do they hate benitez so much? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Salisu done well so far up against Calvert Lewin too. If anything Salisu has bullied him.

Yes, I think we were all fearing the worst after the game last season but he's done well so far. 

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Salisu done well so far up against Calvert Lewin too. If anything Salisu has bullied him.

A big win for Salisu if it stays like that, because last season it was embarrassing.

Edited by Toussaint

Well, just done my half time prayer..

I was surprised KWP wasn't playing but I recall he got a knock in the last friendly and Livramento has had a stormer. Armstrong scoring on his debut may not mean 3 points if my prayers fail, but it'll do wonders for his confidence: we all saw how Che took a bit of time to get going when he missed a few.

Walcott hasn't done too much but he's done defensive cover well. We're still not fully clicking -  I agree with the comment that JWP is not 100% - but we've still got Diallo and Stewie on the bench.

A. Armstrong picks the top corner with a right foot rocket, nearly beats Pickford low right with a left foot howitzer, puts the CDs under constant pressure with his pace, and already has mid-season understanding with Adams. Unbelievably, right now he’s looking like an upgrade.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic