Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

We almost always lose the first game and again almost always lose away to the dugout pioneers. Not worried about the result...

More worried about the same old problems. Poor in game management, jeckyll and Hyde halves and poor team selection in certain positions.

Hopefully this is enough to convince Ralph to buy a new starting experienced centre back and not to play McCarthy again.

2 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We’re you asleep for the second half of last season? read carefully:

FUCK ALL HAS CHANGED, SAME OLD SHIT!!

Why do you assume that? I watched all the game, and dont need you to ask otherwise.

Typical knee jerk reactions from 1 game by people who piss their pant too easily.

If this carries on after 6 games or so (and we have a brutal start to the season), then maybe it needs looking at, but not after 87 mins ffs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I hope the club know what they're doing because for me, we are sleepwalking towards relegation.

Why we haven't got a replacement for JV despite knowing he was going for ages is beyond me.

The goalkeeper situation is a joke, they're both fucking awful.

The stubborn git in charge won't change from his system which teams found out how to beat an absolute age ago.

He refuses to change the game through subs until it is way too late...

At least we have United next week.

Shite.

• Like 1

We do so many good things and then it all gets undone with piss poor mistakes. I can handle losing when the other team are better and score class goals but it’s always the same problems. Concentration errors, throw ins straight to oppo, letting ball bounce in area, letting forwards go free in box etc.

We’re our own worst enemies and then we’ve got Dr automatism making the same changes at 80 minutes on the clock regardless of what’s going on on the pitch. A class manager recognizes that Walcott was a passenger and hauls him off at HT. That sends a message to the other 10 that they better stay awake otherwise they too lose their place. 

Nah, they probably just put the audio on and have a bit of a Karaoke.

Cunts!

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2

Do you think anyone actually tells Ralph his game management is abysmal? That he clearly doesn’t know a good goalkeeper? That he is clueless if he leaves impact subs on the bench until the game is gone? It has happens for 6 months. And it will mean relegation this time. 

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Why do you assume that? I watched all the game, and dont need you to ask otherwise.

Typical knee jerk reactions from 1 game by people who piss their pant too easily.

If this carries on after 6 games or so (and we have a brutal start to the season), then maybe it needs looking at, but not after 87 mins ffs.

You have to be joking right?? This shit has been going on for the past six months. Knee jerk reaction to winning three games in twenty odd games?? Two 9-0 defeats in successive seasons?? No defence, no goalkeeper and no idea how to react tactically to the simplest of changes. I like Ralph but he is the definition of a one trick pony.

• Like 2

I've always been a fan of Ralph, and I still am, but his failure to make a change until it's too late is unbelievable. I feel sorry for him with the situation he's in having two poor keepers on huge wages, but he does not help himself in games like this.

How he didn't make a change in the 20 minutes after the Richarlison goal where the game was only trending one way is beyond me.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 01:29, Disco Stu said:

We'll score first but still lose.

So damn painfully predictable.

The signings have done well so there's definitely some positives to take but a loss is a loss and it's the same old "played well first half, capitulated in the second" that has let us down again. This one's on Ralph because the game was there for the taking.

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

I hope the club know what they're doing because for me, we are sleepwalking towards relegation.

Why we haven't got a replacement for JV despite knowing he was going for ages is beyond me.

The goalkeeper situation is a joke, they're both fucking awful.

The stubborn git in charge won't change from his system which teams found out how to beat an absolute age ago.

He refuses to change the game through subs until it is way too late...

At least we have United next week.

Shite.

Got to agree with the GK situation, that is really unforgivable as they been clearly below par for years and years. And there’s some decent and cheap options on the market too.

The same applies to the whole midfield too though (though I’d admit it’s harder to identify replacements here). For some reason the fans are satisfied with years of average or poor performances from JWP and Romeu (and they’re meant to be our best players according to some!) And we all know our attacking mids are weak with v little end product.

Just now, BotleySaint said:

Does anyone here actually think that'll happen? Who is even available? I think we'll stay as we are.

Semmens said we'd recruit if Vestergaard left. I trust we will, but I don't fancy our chances of getting someone good enough to really sort things out.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Same old same old. We don't have strong enough players with enough know how to manage the second halves of games like this where we have started well.

Until we sign some men in the core positions of CB and CM with some know how and experience, not much will change irrespective of what Ralph does with tactics and selection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Do you think anyone actually tells Ralph his game management is abysmal? That he clearly doesn’t know a good goalkeeper? That he is clueless if he leaves impact subs on the bench until the game is gone? It has happens for 6 months. And it will mean relegation this time. 

Have we ever had any impact subs? Can’t remember the last time a sub has ever made an impact. Substitution timings don’t help, mind. But our bench is just the same tedious crap players who don’t do v much.

First half there were a lot of positives.

But failure of the manager to react, and our poor mentality cost us. Again.

We need a real leader on the pitch, and better CB options. And RH to start being proactive.

Really disappointing, and somewhat worrying.

I really hope this sort of thing convinces them to get a new keeper. Miscommunication between Salisu and Macca for the first, second beaten at his near post, third was basically straight at him and went straight through, not good enough.

JWP, Armstrong, Adams, Livramento, Perraud, and Romeu were all quite good imo. Macca, Stephens, Walcott, Djenepo were poor, Macca being dire and costing us the game.

Really disappointing second half. Just a bad combination of Everton coming out far better than the first half, then a defensive lapse, and after that they had the momentum and scored two really good goals.

Armstrong getting off the mark might be the most important thing to happen today.

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You have to be joking right?? This shit has been going on for the past six months. Knee jerk reaction to winning three games in twenty odd games?? Two 9-0 defeats in successive seasons?? No defence, no goalkeeper and no idea how to react tactically to the simplest of changes. I like Ralph but he is the definition of a one trick pony.

Calm down Sheila, let’s see where we are in a handful of games or so, they’re not going to sack the manager after one game are they…

In both Koeman’s seasons we started the campaign with a squad which was clearly a player or two light and didn’t get a good result. We never win the opening fixture or at Goodison, so good to get that boll*cks out the way immediately.

Hopefully this will be like the first season up. We get all our sh*tty fixtures lost at the beginning of the season and move on from there when the team improves.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

That avoidable goal after half time was the one that really gave them momentum and screwed us over. 

If there's a way to chuck away a lead we'll always find it. Everton had been poor up until that moment and then we make utterly needless mistakes and let them back in the game. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Suhari said:

First half there were a lot of positives.

But failure of the manager to react, and our poor mentality cost us. Again.

We need a real leader on the pitch, and better CB options. And RH to start being proactive.

Really disappointing, and somewhat worrying.

Should be getting Cahill and another CB, but we won’t. 

• Like 1

Everton will be counting their lucky stars that they were playing a team that throw away leads for fun. 

Really, really shite management from a poor manager. 

In for a long season if we don't get our Vestergaard replacement bang on. All our CBs are dodgy and prone to an error every single fucking game. 

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Calm down Sheila, let’s see where we are in a handful of games or so, they’re not going to sack the manager after one game are they…

I really wanted Ralph to be a success here, he's enthusiastic and probably cares for the club, but taken as a whole it's not just one game in isolation, it's been the best part of half a season. We were shite since January last year, there's no getting away from that, those problems still persist. He can't react to simple changes and doesn't make subs and when he does they are more out of desperation than anything else. Maybe he is the right guy and the wrong time for us.

Had no enthusiasm for this season, all very flat in the transfer market, nothing ever to get excited about.

Ralphs management doesn’t help, tactically inept so it seems and never makes a sub before 80mins that could make a massive impact in the game, yet Rafa turned the game on its head come 45mins. Definitely not the first time we’ve been tactically outclassed after taking a lead.

Think it’s time for a new gaffer that can read a game and make the changes, might actually stand a chance this season, we have the players to stay up but quite a few were sat on our bench today with the questionable line-up.

There has to be reason for our woeful 2nd half performances. It’s one of the following, absolutely no mental strength within senior players, the inability of our coaches to predict the changes opposing teams make at half time, lack of quality or a manager who’s tactically inept.

New players, same mentality and mentality is driven from the coaching set up. Personally I’d have ditched Ralph’s coaching team and provided him with someone who’s been around the top divisions.

• Like 1

That was sadly a case of different season, same old fragilities. Nothing has changed.

We took the lead, got an element of control over the game, went in at HT and tails were up. Everton boo'd off, all perfect from our pov.

But what we don't seem to expect is a reaction. As with last season, when the going is good and we're not facing adversity we're fine, but as soon as we face a little bit of pressure or the opposition turn up the heat on us we crumble into bits. 

Sadly we didn't do enough throughout the majority of the game to trouble Pickford though, just the goal really. Theo was a signing I didn't really want, as it seemed like a mascot signing more than anything. Sadly that performance said it all, he's cannot contribute at this level anymore. Fairy tale story and all that, but if we wanted a mascot we should have asked him to retire first.

Moussa is just pointless. I cannot deal with him stepping over the ball, touching it too many times and then giving it away. He's all legs and no action. Desperate someone gives us some money for him so we can buy an actual attacking player.

Armstrong and Adams looked good - both pests all afternoon, they had to create it all themselves though. Tino very composed first half, great positioning, but did drift off a little in the 2nd half I felt - I'm baffled as to why he wasn't substituted if I'm honest.

I still think we are leaderless, more so than last season. If I was in charge I'd be all over Cahill and Delaney and get them in that spine ASAP, but I know we won't and we'll add more inexperience to the already inexperienced bunch.

We'll win games this season and we'll look good at times this season, but this lack of experience is going to kick us in the balls. I'm still not sure what this season will entail, a new centre back and CM may change things, but as it stands it looks like it's going to be one hell of a miserable slog with a lot of inexperienced players.

• Like 4

Very positive first half.

Mccarthy (Thought he was ok, came and claimed very well). Beaten by a top corner shot and sitters.)

Livramento clearly has something about him. Split between Ralph being blind or KWP being dead as to why we didn't make a change on that side when Gray started to get the better of him.

Stephens/Salisu. Some good moments(especially salisu covering) but managed to let both their strikers have sitters to score. We are so lacking any threat from set pieces too.

Perraud (some bright moments going forward, less certain defensively)

Romeu (quiet today)

JWP (Saved our bacon quite a few times)

Walcott (had a brief spell of about 5 minutes in 2nd half where he looked threatening

Djenepo (very threatening, just frustrating he wants too many touches)

Armstrong (lovely signing)

Adams (very good again)

Subs (unrated because for some reason some useless goon waited until we were behind to make them)

• Like 1

Hmmmm will reserve judgement until we have a home match against a bottom half side but based on that nothing has really changed. Good in the first half shit in the second half time and time again. That is on RH, never called for his head but if this continues for another 6 or 7 matches that changes. Sort it the fuck out.

• Like 2

Only managed to watch the second half (so I'm to blame) but jeez that was effing awful.  Completely lost the midfield and defence was a shambles.  Fair play to McCarthy - he seems determined to end any speculation that he may be the better of the two goalkeepers.   

Edited by revolution saint
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I really wanted Ralph to be a success here, he's enthusiastic and probably cares for the club, but taken as a whole it's not just one game in isolation, it's been the best part of half a season. We were shite since January last year, there's no getting away from that, those problems still persist. He can't react to simple changes and doesn't make subs and when he does they are more out of desperation than anything else. Maybe he is the right guy and the wrong time for us.

Oh I do agree with most of this, his subs, or lack of them, always cost us. 

I was willing to cut him a little slack Jan onwards as our beach was mostly bare bones, but I am concerned but happy to see it play out for a handful of games or so. If we get dicked next week, which is likely, I wonder if he will throw in the towel. 

I also think he may not last the season, but we need a little time to see how we play when new players are bedded in over a few games, but he needs to stop this for and quickly.