Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Stuey I can sort of understand (late coming back to training from Euros?), but no KWP, must be an injury or something (no offence to Tino). Otherwise much as (I) expected, though I would have started Tella over Djenepo. Still at least we have a resonably strong bench, with Broja still to come.

Crazy line up. Exciting though. I get Tella not starting as all the hype was around him as a striker and these are our top two strikers. Livramento is a massive surprise, deep end, Stephens and Salisu scares me a bit, neither is great in the air and DCL is amazing in the air. Stu should be starting for me instead of Walcott too, not sure what that's about.

Don't really see the fuss:

- Stephens and Salisu the best pre season pairing

- Walcott more of a goal threat than the other #10s which is even more important having lost Ings

- Gives a few who have been used to starting every game a bit of a kick

- Very strong bench

- Livramento obviously impressed and also sends out a good message that Saints will give young players a great pathway to PL football

• Like 6

The negativity from some here is understandable but just misguided. Did you see Tino preseason? He looks to me like potential player of the season.  Adam A deserves the confidence boost of a first intro. If you were Everton, not sure you'd want to see him there. McCarthy and Forster are about the same level. McCarthy has had incredible games for Saints. And for low shots close by he can get down faster.   It's the opening game. Keep an open mind. It's OK to feel a little excitement!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Walker Peters on the bench makes zero sense. Also no Stuart Armstrong? Bizarre. 

Not the starting line up I would have expected. But it’s start of season so maybe Ralph is responding to who looks most ready in training at this point? Which obviously we don’t see.

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

The negativity from some here is understandable but just misguided. Did you see Tino preseason? He looks to me like potential player of the season.  Adam A deserves the confidence boost of a first intro. If you were Everton, not sure you'd want to see him there. McCarthy and Forster are about the same level. McCarthy has had incredible games for Saints. And for low shots close by he can get down faster.   It's the opening game. Keep an open mind. It's OK to feel a little excitement!!!!!!!!

after no more than 1 half of a friendly, where the opposition played again 24 hours later?

Player of the season material after that?

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Don't really see the fuss:

- Stephens and Salisu the best pre season pairing

- Walcott more of a goal threat than the other #10s which is even more important having lost Ings

- Gives a few who have been used to starting every game a bit of a kick

- Very strong bench

- Livramento obviously impressed and also sends out a good message that Saints will give young players a great pathway to PL football

Agree completely - odd bunch on here, from the reaction you'd think we've started a bunch of unproven academy lads.

Provided Stuart Armstrong comes on second half (if need be) I don't see the problem.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Valery came on against Liverpool and was superb as an outlet in a more forward role. I’m not against having him in the squad as such.

If he's there as a 10 and comes on ahead of Stu Armstrong, Tella or even Moi, then something is wrong. If he comes on at RB ahead of KWP, something is wrong.

Actually, having him there at all is wrong - he has a place on the bench of the Chelsea super kid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

was that at the start of the season when everyone was fit/available?

We had Vokins and Long on the bench against Palace. Smallbone starting etc.

We've not got the squad of the days of Koeman, but it's stronger than it was last year in my eyes depth wise. Quality....who the f knows. I have no idea how it's going to pan out, it's all a bit unknown. 

As someone on another forum said ''I don't know half the Southampton team''.  Arguably we have been crying out for this sort of freshening up for years.....I genuinely don't know what to expect.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

We had Vokins and Long on the bench against Palace. Smallbone starting etc.

We've not got the squad of the days of Koeman, but it's stronger than it was last year in my eyes depth wise. Quality....who the f knows. I have no idea how it's going to pan out, it's all a bit unknown. 

As someone on another forum said ''I don't know half the Southampton team''.  Arguably we have been crying out for this sort of freshening up for years.....I genuinely don't know what to expect.

so, no then.  Daft point to make. 

27 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We start the season with McCarthy in goal, Stephens starting and Valery in the matchday squad.  Just missing Shane Long for the full house.

yep, not good really

I actually think Ralph just pulls names out of a hat 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic